New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Villainous Competition XLII: Caine?!

Firstly I think I'll not participate in this round, but now I have two ideas.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-08-28 at 08:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

frown Re: Villainous Competition XLII: Caine?!

I must admit, I'm struggling with this one a little.

I had an idea I've been working on, but it just seems really lacklustre, and a little underpowered.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I must admit, I'm struggling with this one a little.

I had an idea I've been working on, but it just seems really lacklustre, and a little underpowered.
    I had two ideas, and both were interesting mechanically but really suffered from lack of power. Might post them both after the reveal.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

First sent. Second polishing. Third in the mind.
    Yes, I know, I can nominate only two. (((
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Caine from Kung fu, but evil because villain

clicking the image spoiler in the second post, would've given that away
    My first thought was Zelazny's Amber series, but that Caine used archery and daggers.

My second thought was correct. :)

Highlander guy would have been the third thought, but he was spelled Kane, and those guys used swords anyway.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Second sent.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

TBH, I wasn't really clear on if the entries are supposed to specifically emulate Caine, or just follow the limitations (be a villainous non-spellcasting unarmed combatant), since it seemed like the previous competitions weren't really based on specific characters like that? Well, we'll see I guess.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2021-09-23 at 03:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

1. Blackleaf, the Brutal

Spoiler: Race/Class/Abilities
    Show
    Treant Ghost RHD +4/Barbarian 3/Fist of the Forest 1/Frenzied Berserker 5

Ability point buy: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16

Spoiler: Lore
    Show
    Once upon a time, there was a forest. It was an old forest, given dozens of names by the various map-makers of the ages, but to its inhabitants it was just The Forest. Like all old forests, there was magic in this one. But unusually, this one also housed a sect of wild warriors and nature mages. It was from them that the treant called Blackleaf, unusually clever and curious by the standards of mobile vegetation, learned the ways of men. The Guardians of the Green trained Blackleaf in battle, but also in how to speak with humanoids and understand their ways, cautioning him that reckless aggression would only be met with greater force than he could imagine.

Eventually, the Guardians grew old. Their numbers dwindled, and some of them settled down or returned to civilization or simply died, as humanoids tend to do. Blackleaf outlived them all, and when the nearby villages tried to harvest the forest for wood or hack a highway through it, he would first politely meet with them, and then -- if necessary -- terrify them with threats of dismemberment. This was fairly effective, and he only rarely had need to actually come to violence.

Eventually, word of this reached the king, who was pointedly curious as to why a large expanse of land in his kingdom had gone almost completely without practical use. When the situation was explained to him, he pragmatically dispatched a group of mercenaries to deal with the situation. Blackleaf's reliance on scare tactics proved to be his undoing; spooked, the adventurers fell back on their habits, and cut him down. Within a year, the forest had been thoroughly pacified and was being logged.

But some part of Blackleaf lingered, watching in horror and fury. Had he not played fair, and used every means in his disposal to avoid violence? Only to be slain so unceremoniously, and see his home violated... with a grudge so deep, it's no surprise that the treant's spirit could not rest. Soon, rumors started to spread. Rumors of men going mad in the forest and turning their axes on their allies, rumors of bodies found pierced by tree roots. The king sent more mercenaries, but this time, they found nothing.

Blackleaf had learned one important lesson the day he died. The world of men was at war with his kind, and there was no sense in speaking peacefully to them any longer. That spring, the forest marched on Brightlake.

"Seriously, mate, steer clear of that forest. Some shortcuts just aren't worth it."
    -Jonn of Brightlake, innkeeper
    Spoiler: CR 13
    Show

Treant Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forest 3
    Huge Plant
    Hit Dice: 11d8+1d12+3d10+60 (132 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 50 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 24 (–2 size, –1 Dex, +13 natural, +4 con), touch 11, flat-footed 24.
    Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+29
    Attack: Unarmed +19 (1d10+10) or slam +19 melee (2d6+10)
    Full Attack: Unarmed +19/+14/+9 (1d10+10) and one slam +14 melee (2d6+5) (the other slam is being used to punch people)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Animate trees, double damage against objects, trample 2d6+15
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/slashing, low-light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire, fast movement (barbarian), rage 1/day, fast movement (Fist of the Forest), AC bonus, feral trance 2/day, uncanny dodge, untamed strike, scent
    Saves: Fort +16, Ref +6, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 18
    Skills: Diplomacy +18 (14 ranks), Handle Animal +8 (4 ranks), Intimidate +22 (18 ranks), Knowledge: Nature +17 (14 ranks), Listen +23 (18 ranks), Survival +11 (6 ranks), Spot +23 (18 ranks)
    Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Cleave, Intimidating Rage, Destructive Rage

With Rage and Feral Trance: Increase AC by +2, hit points by +30, fort/ref/will saves by +2. Attack routine becomes unarmed +21 (1d10+14) or slam +21 melee (2d6+12), full attack routine becomes unarmed +21/+16/+11 (1d10+14) and two slams +16 melee (2d6+6) and bite +16 melee (1d6+6). Lasts 10 rounds.

Animate Trees (Sp): A treant can animate trees within 180 feet at will, controlling up to two trees at a time. It takes 1 full round for a normal tree to uproot itself. Thereafter it moves at a speed of 10 feet and fights as a treant in all respects. Animated trees lose their ability to move if the treant that animated them is incapacitated or moves out of range. The ability is otherwise similar to liveoak (caster level 12th). Animated trees have the same vulnerability to fire that a treant has.

Double Damage against Objects (Ex): A treant or animated tree that makes a full attack against an object or structure deals double damage.

Trample (Ex): Reflex DC 25 half. The save DC is Strength-based.

Spoiler: Strategy
    Show
    Despite his name, the treant called Blackleaf the Brutal would prefer to negotiate rather than fight; his fearsome reputation is deliberately cultivated to discourage enemies from invading his forest. Nevertheless, he is no slouch in a fight, and more than prepared to defend his home with terrible fury. His fighting style is fairly self-explanatory; he animates two trees, rallies any other nearby forest dwellers that can be persuaded to pitch in, and uses his Rage and Feral Trance abilities to shred people. Intimidating Rage is generally targeted on whoever appears to be leading the forces arrayed against him, to encourage their retreat.

"Is it just me, or is the forest getting... closer?"
    -A concerned guard, the day before the Burning of Brightlake
    Spoiler: CR 15
    Show

Treant Ghost Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forest 3
    Huge Undead (Incorporeal)
    Hit Dice: 15d12 (97 hp)
    Speed: 50 ft., fly 30 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 24 (–2 size, –1 Dex, +13 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 24
    Attack: Incorporeal touch +13 (1d4 ability drain)
    Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +13 (1d4 ability drain)
    Special Attacks: Animate trees, double damage against objects
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/slashing, low-light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire, fast movement (barbarian), rage 1/day, fast movement (Fist of the Forest), AC bonus, feral trance 2/day, uncanny dodge, untamed strike, scent, rejuvination, turn resistance +4, manifestation, malevolence, frightful moan, draining touch
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con --, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 22
    Skills: Diplomacy +18 (14 ranks), Handle Animal +8 (4 ranks), Intimidate +24 (18 ranks), Knowledge: Nature +17 (14 ranks), Listen +23 (18 ranks), Survival +11 (6 ranks), Spot +23 (18 ranks)
    Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Cleave, Intimidating Rage, Destructive Rage

Animate Trees (Sp): A treant can animate trees within 180 feet at will, controlling up to two trees at a time. It takes 1 full round for a normal tree to uproot itself. Thereafter it moves at a speed of 10 feet and fights as a treant in all respects. Animated trees lose their ability to move if the treant that animated them is incapacitated or moves out of range. The ability is otherwise similar to liveoak (caster level 12th). Animated trees have the same vulnerability to fire that a treant has.

Show
    Death requires an adjustment in tactics, for Blackleaf... at first glance, his ability to defend his forest has vastly decreased, although suddenly appearing with a frightful moan can chase off the weak-hearted. However, in truth, his lack of physical form is a minor inconvenience at most. By animating trees at-will, he has an endless supply of bodies to possess with malevolence, and although they aren't quite as potent as his original body, his Con-based class features come back online when he has a body to wear, and there's nothing preventing him from returning with a new body again and again after it's destroyed! Most creatures will be crushed or driven back without ever understanding the nature of what they're fighting, only able to perceive an endless stream of bloodthirsty treants. If needed he can attempt to wear enemies down with his incorporeal touch as well, doing his best to remain hidden as he does so. Only if his enemies identify his nature or pose a serious and immediate threat to the forest will Blackleaf attempt to possess an enemy outright, doing as much damage as possible while forcing their allies to slay them. Even if destroyed, he's likely to rejuvenate... the only way to truly solve the problem is to convince Blackleaf to lay down his grudge, or for him to successfully topple the kingdom that incurred his wrath so many years ago.

"One night, and the town was gone. Walls crushed to powder. Not a single structure left standing. I've seen monster attacks before, but this? This was war."
    -Lord Yellat, missive to the king
    Spoiler: CR 20
    Show

Treant Ghost Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forest 3/Frenzied Berserker 5
    Huge Undead (Incorporeal)
    Hit Dice: 20d12 (130 hp)
    Speed: 50 ft., fly 30 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 24 (–2 size, –1 Dex, +13 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 24
    Attack: Incorporeal touch +13 (1d4 ability drain)
    Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +13 (1d4 ability drain)
    Special Attacks: Animate trees, double damage against objects
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/slashing, low-light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire, fast movement (barbarian), rage 1/day, fast movement (Fist of the Forest), AC bonus, feral trance 2/day, uncanny dodge, untamed strike, scent, rejuvination, turn resistance +4, manifestation, malevolence, frightful moan, draining touch
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con --, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 22
    Skills: Diplomacy +18 (14 ranks), Handle Animal +8 (4 ranks), Intimidate +29 (23 ranks), Knowledge: Nature +17 (14 ranks), Listen +28 (23 ranks), Survival +11 (6 ranks), Spot +28 (23 ranks)
    Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Cleave, Intimidating Rage, Destructive Rage, Ability Focus (Malevolence)

Show
    No longer content with merely waiting for the axes and fire to come to him, Blackleaf is ready to bring the fight to the cities of man. His preferred strategy is to slowly move a copse of trees closer to his target settlement under cover of darkness; once released, an animated tree simply takes root wherever it is, so an entire forest can creep forward slowly. If the settlement notices and sends out forces to investigate, they are unlikely to return. Additionally, Blackleaf is smart and experienced enough to scout out his targets thoroughly, and more than willing to use his malevolence ability to throw a city into chaos with a few well-placed assassinations.

When it's finally time, he can animate and possess a tree (plus a second one for backup), march down to the town, and start tearing down walls. His deathless frenzy ability means that he can fight for at least a full minute even after taking lethal damage, and can do this three times in a single night, either bringing in more trees or simply possessing some hapless commoner and sending them on a rampage with inhuman strength. Anyone who assumes that his rampage is mindless is likely in for a grim surprise; he's smart enough to use his frenzies strategically, and isn't afraid to abandon a body and find a better angle to attack from if he's in a bad spot. However, during a frenzy he lacks much of this self-preservation sense, so a clever party could bait him into frenzying before trying to trap or exorcise him. Unfortunately, he's still likely to rejuvenate if killed, but at least he could be stalled long enough to search for a more permanent solution.

Spoiler: Build Table
    Show

CR Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    8 Treant (7 HD) +5 +5 +2 +2 Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 10, Knowledge: Nature 10, Listen 10, Spot 6, Survival 4 Improved Unarmed Strike (1), Great Fortitude (3), Power Attack (6) Treant traits, animate trees, double damage against objects, trample
    9 +4 Plant HD (11 HD) +7 +7 +3 +3 Diplomacy +4 (14), Intimidate +4 (14), Knowledge: Nature +4 (14), Listen +4 (14), Spot +4 (10), Survival 4 Cleave (9) --
    10 Barbarian 1 (12 HD) +8 +9 +3 +3 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate 14, Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 (15), Spot 10, Survival +2 (6), Handle Animal +4 (4) Intimidating Rage (12) Fast movement, rage 1/day
    11 Fist of the Forest 1 (13 HD) +9 +11 +5 +3 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +2 (16), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 (16), Spot +2 (12), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 -- AC Bonus, Feral trance 1/day, Fast movement, primal living, unarmed damage 1d8
    12 Fist of the Forest 2 (14 HD) +10 +12 +6 +3 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +1 (17), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 (17), Spot +3 (15), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 -- Uncanny Dodge, Untamed strike
    13 Fist of the Forest 3 (15 HD) +11 +12 +6 +4 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +1 (18), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 (18), Spot +3 (18), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 Destructive Rage (15) Feral trance 2/day, scent, unarmed damage 1d10
    15 Ghost template (+2 CR) +11 +12 +6 +4 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate 18, Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen 18, Spot 18, Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 -- Type change, malevolence, frightful moan, draining touch, manifestation, rejuvenation, turn resist +4
    16 Frenzied Berserker 1 (16 HD) +12 +14 +6 +4 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +1 (19), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 c/c (19), Spot +1 c/c (19), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 Diehard (B) Frenzy 1/day
    17 Frenzied Berserker 2 (17 HD) +13 +15 +6 +4 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +1 (20), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 c/c (20), Spot +1 c/c (20), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 -- Supreme cleave
    18 Frenzied Berserker 3 (18 HD) +14 +15 +7 +5 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +1 (21), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 c/c (21), Spot +1 c/c (21), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 Ability Focus: Malevolence (18) Frenzy 2/day
    19 Frenzied Berserker 4 (19 HD) +15 +16 +7 +5 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +1 (22), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 c/c (22), Spot +1 c/c (22), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 -- Deathless frenzy
    20 Frenzied Berserker 5 (20 HD) +16 +16 +7 +5 Diplomacy 14, Intimidate +1 (23), Knowledge: Nature 14, Listen +1 c/c (23), Spot +1 c/c (23), Survival 6, Handle Animal 4 -- Frenzy 3/day, improved power attack

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Treant, Ghost, Ability Focus: Monster Manual
    Frenzied Berserker, Intimidating Rage, Destructive Rage: Complete Warrior
    Fist of the Forest: Complete Champion
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

9. - Top - End - #39

DruidGuy

2. One Paw Cat
    Spoiler: Intro
    Show
    TREACHERY MOST FOUL!

The kind old man that helpfully pointed us toward evil was an enemy all along!

How dare he! One moment he was training Maximilian into dodging a flurry of blows, doing a gajillion love taps in the span of a breath, the next he completely obliterated him in a single punch! He's a Rakshasa!? How is that possible!? Wait a minute.. he's THAT Rakshasa? we thought him dead!

Spoiler: One-paw-cat
    Show
    Lawful Evil Rakshasa, Outsider(good subtype), Fighter 1 / Forsaker 1 / Marshal 1 / Invisible Eye Monk 2 / Warblade 1 / Warshaper 4
    Abilities Initial Race/Template Tome (CR10) HD8 (CR11) Manual (CR12) Morphic Body (CR13) Tome (CR14) HD12 (CR15) Manual (CR16) Tome + Manual (CR17) Exalted Bonus (CR18) HD16 + Forsaker 1 (CR19) Total
    Str 8 +2 +4 +4 18
    Dex 14 +4 +4 +4 26
    Con 13 +6 +4 +1 +4 +2 30
    Int 12 +2 +4 18
    Wis 15 +2 +1 +4 +6 +2 30
    Cha 10 +6 +4 20

HP 8 + 13d8 + 1d10 + 2d12 + 170 (254)
    AC 48 (10 +8 dex +10 wis +11 natural +9 exalted +2 deflection -2 stance), Touch 28, Flat-footed 40
    Saves fort 37 (20 base +10 con +2 feat +2 morale +3 resistance) ref 25 (9 base +8 dex +2 feat +2 morale +3 resistance +1 battle clarity) will 30 (13 base +10 wis +2 feat +2 morale +3 resistance)
    Damage Reduction 15/good and piercing or 5/evil
    Spell Resistance 48
    fast healing 2
    Attack 14 BAB + 10 WIS + 4 exalted strike + Stormguard warrior & robilar's gambit combo for one combat rhythm+channel the storm decisive strike
    the ribbon stuff from an 17HD VoP, including permanent Freedom of Movement and Regeneration

Spoiler: leveling table
    Show
    CR/HD Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    10/7 Racial Hit Dies +7/+2 +5 +5 +5 Bluff +10, Diplomacy +5(10), Disguise +10, Hide +5(10), Listen +10, Move Silently +10, Sense Motive +10, Spot +10, Tumble +5(10), Assume QuirkCS, pg. 85, at 2HD, Listen to ThisCS, pg. 87, at 3HD, Point it outCS, pg. 88, at 5HD, Second ImpressionCS, pg. 88, at 4HD, Social RecoveryCS, pg. 89, at 7HD Skill Focus(Diplomacy), Iron Will, Great Fortitude Change shape, damage reduction 15/good and piercing, Spell Resistance 20+HD, Natural armor 9, Natural weapons, Detect thoughts(su) at will, 7th-level sorcerer spellcasting, Outsider traits
    11/8 WarshaperCW, pg. 89 1 +7/+2 +7 +5 +5 Bluff 10+1(2), Diplomacy 5(10), Disguise 10+1, Hide 5(10), Listen 10, Move Silently 10, Sense Motive 10+0.5(1), Spot 10+1(2), Tumble 5(10) Morphic Immunities, Morphic Weapons
    12/9 WarbladeToB, pg. 20 1 +8/+3 +9 +5 +5 Bluff 11, Diplomacy 5+7, Disguise 11, Hide 5(10), Listen 10, Move Silently 10, Sense Motive 10.5+0.5(1), Spot 11, Tumble 5(10) Ironheart AuraToB, pg. 31 Battle Clarity (Reflex saves), Weapon Aptitude
    13/10 Warshaper 2 +9/+4 +10 +6 +6 Bluff 11, Diplomacy 12, Disguise 11+2, Hide 5(10), Listen 10, Move Silently 10, Sense Motive 11, Spot 11+1(2), Tumble 5(10), Clarity of VisionCS, pg. 85 Morphic Body
    14/11 Warshaper 3 +10/+5 +10 +6 +6 Bluff 11+2.5(5), Diplomacy 12, Disguise 13+1, Hide 5(10), Listen 10, Move Silently 10, Sense Motive 11, Spot 12, Tumble 5(10) Morphic reach
    15/12 Invisible EyeUE, pg. 53 Monk 1 +10/+5 +12 +8 +8 Bluff 13.5, Diplomacy 12, Disguise 14, Hide 5+4, Listen 10, Move Silently 10, Sense Motive 11, Spot 12, Tumble 5+4 Improved Unarmed StrikeMonk Bonus, Combat ReflexesMonk Bonus, Stormguard WarriorToB, pg. 36 Decisive StrikePHBII, pg. 51, AC Bonus, unarmed Damage
    16/13 Invisible Eye Monk 2 +11/+6/+1 +13 +9 +9 Bluff 13.5+0.5(1), Diplomacy 12, Disguise 14, Hide 9+2, Listen 10+2, Move Silently 10+1, Sense Motive 11, Spot 12, Tumble 9+2 Lightning Reflexes Feign DeathEoE, pg. 21
    17/14 Figther 1 +12/+7/+2 +15 +9 +9 Bluff 14+3(6), Diplomacy 12, Disguise 14, Hide 11, Listen 12, Move Silently 11, Sense Motive 11, Spot 12, Tumble 11 Robilar's GambitPHBII, pg. 82
    18/15 MarshalMH, pg. 11 1 +12/+7/+2 +17 +9 +11 Bluff 17+1, Diplomacy 12, Disguise 14, Hide 11, Listen 12, Move Silently 11, Sense Motive 11, Spot 12, Tumble 11, Speak Language +7 Sacred VowBoED, pg. 45, Vow of Povertymarshal bonus, BOED pg. 48 Minor Aura(Motivate Charisma)
    19/16 ForsakerMotW, pg. 57 1 +13/+8/+3 +19 +9 +13 Bluff 18+1(2), Diplomacy 12, Disguise 14+2(4), Hide 11, Listen 12, Move Silently 11, Sense Motive 11, Spot 12, Tumble 11 Intuitive AttackBonus, BOED, pg. 44 Ability Bonus +1, Fast Healing 1 (10), Forsake Magic, Spell Resistance +11
    20/17 Warshaper 4 +14/+9/+4 +20 +9 +13 Bluff 19+1(2), Diplomacy 12, Disguise 16+4, Hide 11, Listen 12, Move Silently 11, Sense Motive 11, Spot 12, Tumble 11 Morphic Healing

Spoiler: Spells/Manouvers/Wealth
    Show
    • from CR 10 to CR 18, we'll have a 7th level sorcerer casting, we forsake it at CR 19.
    • 0th level spell known: Resistance, plus 6 others that qualify the buff/debuff limitation
    • 1st level spell known: Expeditious Retreat,Shield, NerveskitterSpC, pg. 146, Blood WindSpC, pg. 33, Featherfall
    • 2nd level spell known: Invisibility, WraithstrikeSpC, pg. 243, Blur
    • 3rd level spell known: Heroism, Greater Mage armorSpC, pg. 136
    • slots are 6x 0th, 7x 1st, 7x 2nd, 5x 3rd
    • note : Insidious InsightRoE, pg. 187 and Wings of Cover RotD, pg. 119 are strongly considered, but if they count as buffs is Iffy, so I played it safe, take in consideration that Insidious Insight especially would make bluffing for the purpose of ritual much easier

• at our 9th HD we become a 5th level initiator, our stance known is Punishing Stance, our manouvers known and readied are : Douse The Flames, Iron Heart Surge, White Raven Tactics

Here is a "balance sheet" of the wealth, per the DMG, the WBL is based on the ECL, Rakshasa has an LA of +7, so at CR 10, when we have 7HD, we have the wealth of a 14th level character
    CR ECL Gold gained Gold spent Liquidity Net Worth spent how
    5 7 19000 19000 0 0 Stolen by adventurers
    10 14 +131000 -110000 20000 131000 Tome of Clear thoughts +4
    12 16 +110000 -110000 20000 241000 Manual of Gainful Exercise +4
    14 18 +180000 -110000 90000 421000 Tome of Understanding +4
    15 19 +140000 -230000 0 355000 Cloak of Resistance +5 squirreled away somewhere, rest of value stolen by adventurers... again
    16 20 +180000 -110000 70000 465000 Manual of Quickness of Action +4
    17 21 +215000 -283000 2000 750000 Manual of Bodily Health +4, Tome of Leadership and Influence +4, Ritual of alignment (good)SS, pg. 148
    18-20 22-24 0 0 0 723000 Vow of Poverty, goodbye wealth, goodbye faithful cloak of resistance +5

Spoiler: Story & tactics
    Show
    Early Life (CR5)

Heroes Point of View: Today we had our suspicions confirmed, the chancellor was killed and replaced by an evil shapechanger! We managed to drive him off after an hard fought battle. No spell seemed to affect him, and he shrugged off blows that would cleave grown men in twain. At least we got a veritable fortune from his possessions. We better find out what manner of creature that was.
    Villain point of view: Meddling adventurers! With this I failed the task my father put me upon, to infiltrate the court of the king of Generica. And all my wordly possessions lost! I have better respect for grandfather advice now, "Wealth is ephemeral, but a tome? a tome is forever!". I should start to accumulate hunt down such tomes and manuals...
    General blurb: Strapping young adventurers encounters a teenager Rakshasa, luckily for him they don't know how to bypass its DR yet, so he manage to get away safely, but nto without losing all his wordly possession, giving him a reason to pursue possessions that can't be taken away from him.
    Tactics: At this level, our DR 5/good and piercing is very unlikely to be pierced and we have the casting of a 4th level sorcerer but on an outsider chassis. So, if we get found out while we do our face social things, we can safely fallback to bite/scratch the interlopers, or run away invisible if they seem harder to kill than not. Probably by eating the AoO which should barely scratch us

Coming of Age (CR10)

Blurb: One-paw-cat has a long, hard think about what he want to pursuit in life now that he's out of his growing years and deemed an adult in rakshasa society.
    After a bit of asking around and collecting the wisdom of his elders, he decides that what he wants to do is:
    • leverage his shapechanging for combat applications
    • get some martial related ways to solve problems, to not give away his nature by spellcasting
    • learn the secret ways of "feigning death" that that one specific monastery has
    • "collect them all" tome and manuals

and so he sets out to do just that.
    Tactics: we still only have the base creature, so the only customization we have here is the spell selection and the equipment. Actually giving the villain items is enough to properly increase his lethality/durability, but then you have the problem that if the party wins, they get all this phat loot...
    But luckily, we don't have to worry about that, because OPC already got burned that way at CR5, and so he judiciously buy and use the biggest tome he can find and afford juuust before takign his first level, what luck! That leaves about 20k gold of stuff for him to have and play around with, which also makes adeguate spoils for the adventurers.
    Anyway, spells are there for him to more easily run away and/or survive long enough to run away. Feat increases saves and the lot of skill points for doing face things and scouting about, there isn't really much that can be said about tactics at this CR

The second encounter (CR 15)

Heroes POV: Today was strange, something pinged strongly on our leaderpaladin sense of evil. We followed that, but it seemed to come from a simple wandering monk that was minding his own businesses? Anyway, Maximilianthe stick in the mud promptly confronted the man, which seemed as confused as us and was trying to de-escalate when Maximilian tried to smite him. Surprisingly, it worked! Another of those tigerlike creature was revealed, a Rakshasa I believe they are called. After a short but intense battle where Bobocleric almost slayed it with a mighty and holy spell, it actually ran away again, in a manner most curious! He threw a bunch of gold at us before vanishing!
    Villain POV: I can't believe I ran into those dudes again, and I can't believe my resistance to magic failed me so *shudders*, I should find ways to better protect myself from magic...
    general blurb: after a near death due to spells that specifically targets evil outsiders, OPC decides to pursuit some remedy to this specific weakness.
    tactics: The first half of our offensive combo is here, "infinite" amounts of natural attacks thanks to morphic weapon, comboed with the stormguard warrior tactics to make up for the relative low attack bonus we have. The blood wind spell fits very well thematically, the choreography of it, because it lends to the imagery of the villain "waving his hands around" and "ki projections" going out to hit people. I don't think White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge needs to be explained.

Revenge (CR20)

Villain thought 1: I've found this secret tecnique to increase my resistance to magic! But using it interferes with the aura of magic items and spellcasting,, I need to think long and hard on this... it's a good thing I've decided long ago to focus my wealth into making my very body and mind inherently stronger.
    Villain thought 2:It's most perturbing how I got found out last time, I wonder if there's a way to cheat those pesky paladins sense of evil.
    Villain thought 3:What's this I hear about some strange vows that empowers our body and soul in a manner similar to magical items, but it all comes from the inner self? But the secrets of this are known only to the most good?
    Heroes POV: We found a mentor for the scrappy kidmonk, He comes Maximilian approved, a palpable aura of good emanates from him...
    tactics: they aren't really much different from CR15, except we gave up spellcasting for boosting SR up *a lot* and double dipping our "trade away the WBL" with Vow of Poverty. We do the ritual of alignment at CR 17. robilar's gambit makes a nice combo with stormguard warrior, and the build in general is about setting up a devastating decisive strike whenever we can full attack
    We bluff our way into talking a good cleric with the good domain to do the ritual of alignment on us. We trivially hit the DC for not dieing to it, and the DC for not having our alignment changed is easy to beat, too, given our, at the time, modifier of 9 +2 feat +2 ironheart aura +5 resistance +6 wisdom = 17-24 depending on "do we have a cloak of resistance?" and "does ironheart aura bonus apply to ourselves?". Our bluff modifier is 17 +4 racial +4 detect thoughts +5 charisma = 30, so good luck to the 7th level cleric winning the opposing sense motive check.
    Our sacred vow to the "guild of beggers" is "I shall give you all my material wealth", and they give us the secret to the vow of poverty in exchange for that. Now we are "oh so good" because we're giving away all our wealth whenever we obtain any, and can go on to do our REVENGE on the player's party for stealing from us, twice!

Spoiler: build decisions explained
    Show
    The core idea I had was twofold : emulate the wuxia feel of "a thousand punchs in the span of a breath", with a side of flavor of "a single attack so devastating nothing survives it".

To that end, my mind went to the controversial reading of warshaper that can get "infinite" amount of natural attacks. To this end and to keep to a wuxia feel it's more along the lines of "each fingerbones/articulation is a slam attack", so 15 or so per hand, but a shapechanger could scale up or down to taste anyway, so it's "as appropriate to be an interesting but not impossible challenge to the party"

Since I'm going warshaper, I have of course qualify for it, and of the various entry, Rakshasa was the one that appealed to me the most, because it has the making of a villain, and totally not because I was rewatching kung-fu panda in these weeks coughs.

So, there I am with some levels decided, at least warshaper 4 and a dash of warblade to get Stormguard warrior, I was tinkering around with a combination of monk+battle dancer + paladin + fist of the forest, for chonking up saves and AC, but I was unhappy with that, because it's bland and nothing really special. The "let's stack as many CHA to X stuff as possible" is hardly original.

I went back to the drawing board, until I landed on forsaker, because that stacking spell resistance makes for a very hefty bonus.

It only had the teeny tiny problem of "forfeiting the use of magic and magic items", I instantly thought "I suppose I could pair this with vow of poverty...", but there is the problem of alignment... "can I cheat the alignment restriction on exalted feats?" I asked myself. "Well, Rakshasas have bluff/disguise, it does mesh well in flavor to bluff our way into pretend goodness, but do we pretend good enough?". The ritual of alignment from savage species comes to the rescue, for only 63k gold we cana ttempt to gain the good subtype, with a DC 20 will save or die, and if we beat that DC by 5 or more our alignment doesn't change. Without doubt a creature with the good subtype is the most good possible, so definetively exalted-worthy, that it's actually an evil rakshasa in disguise only makes this for an interesting story :D

the reasoning of going for tomes and manuals is obvious in hindsight of "we would be giving up all use of items in our last few levels".

After having decided on trying to pursue vow of poverty, the rest of the levels was just a matter of making all the ingredients fit.

I lament not being able to fit ascetic mageCadv, pg. 105 in the build. It would pair very well with forsaker to make use of our vestigial spellcasting, but alas

marshal and fighter are a bit of a outlier, but I didn't have a choice there, what with wanting to take vow of poverty as late as possible, but still hitting all the prerequisite for stuffs and the core offensive tactic being based on Stormguard warrior. I also coulnd't not try to get Robilar's gambit given how well it comboes with Stormguard warrior and how we already got it's prerequisite satisfied with the monk levels.

I very strongly considered stopping at 2 levels of warshaper, those two levels would become one level of SwordsageToB and one level of Jade Phoenix MageToB. the JPM Arcane wrath would fit well, since it'd give us an use for those spell slots we can't use anymore when we get forsaker levels. It'd even be, with a minor reshuffle, late enough to have 4th level manouvers with the swordsage, and a singular 5th level desert wind manouver (probably leaping flame). What with us "cheating" the "must be not evil" prerequisite already with the ritual. In the end I didn't go for that because I dislike the "very common" warshaper 2. But from a power point of view those extra manouvers and arcane wrath are better value than reach and fast healing 2. We'd havea dash too many competing uses for our swift action, however, so in the end I stuck to warshaper 4

Spoiler: Possible controversies and musings
    Show
    Q: Warshaper doesn't give you potentially an infinite amount of natural attacks, morphic weapon is one grown natural attacks and fingers can't be slam attacks
    A: that morphic weapon is controversial is known, I feel we are firmly in the "ask your DM" territory, but this is VC, not IC. We are the DM and a cheesy thing like infiniwarshaper may well be in our toolbox while still being denied to the players, just like how we're allowed using a LA: - creature but a player isn't

Q: even if you have the good subtype, you're still lawful evil, you don't qualify for exalted feats!
    A: "Any effect that depends on alignment affects a creature with this subtype as if the creature has a good alignment". Now, are we "exalted" good? that's what bluff is there for, friends

Q: you have the good subtype! even if you're technically lawful evil, you're not evil for the purpose of this round limitations!
    A: I feel this is even worse than evil, since I'm an evil that is pretending to be most exalted good. Storywise, it has the marking of a villain, not a hero.

Q: here have some reliance on items penalty
    A: I'm staying within the bounds of WBL as a courtesy, as a DM controlled villain, we can fiat have any item we have, listing when we get what is to show my work in regard of what is reasonable to have, it's mostly there as a "cheat VoP/forsake magic" shrug

Q: forsaker ability bonus doesn't stack with tome/manual, they're both inherent!
    A: that is correct, but also disfunctional. if we rule that way, then forsaker ability bonus doesn't stack with forsaker ability bonus, since they're all +1 splitted over the levels. at most we get a +1 on each ability score, and the last 4 levels of forsaker would be disfunctional because of this no-stacking.
    As such, I'm ruling that it does stack. If you disagree strongly with it, then the tome of understanding was a +5, and those meddling kids stole 27500 less gp from us, end result is the same.

Q: how are you extrapolating a CR 5 section? the base creature is CR 10
    A: I'm basing it on Savage progressionSS, pg. 191, with the minor adaptions needed for 3.5, so SR instead of spell immunity and adapted DR amount/bypass

Spoiler: Noncore Sources
    Show
    BoED = Book of Exalted Deeds
    CS = Complete Scoundrel
    CW = Complete Warrior
    EoE = Exemplars of Evil
    MH = miniature Handbook
    MotW = Masters of the Wild
    PHBII = Player's Handbook II
    RoE = Races of Eberron
    RotD = Races of the Dragon
    SS = Savage Species
    SpC = Spell Compendium
    ToB = Tome of Battle
    UE = Unearthed Arcana
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

10. - Top - End - #40

DruidGuy

3. Tomas Stone

Spoiler: Narrative
    Show
    Doorbell rang and a man entered the magical store.
    - I welcome you to my modest agency of mechanical assistants, - the storekeeper welcomed a visitor.
    - Hello. I heard you sell puppets that can do… things, - the one who entered was a tall athletic man.
    - Yes, but two clarifications. First, they aren’t puppets, effigy is the right word. Second, I don’t sell, I lease for all life with zero rent and non-return bail of effigy’s full cost, - the storekeeper corrected the customer.
    - Hm… What is the difference?
    - You cannot sell it, cannot sublet it, cannot leave it to your heirs - after your death it will return to me, and you cannot repair it only by me. That's all, - that was the explanation.
    - I see… - customer thought about what he had heard, - Ok, restrictions look reasonable and suitable. I need one of your… effigy.
    - What exactly do you want? A servant? A bodyguard? Maybe a curiosity?
    - No, no, - customer shook his head, - I'm a martial artist and I need a sparring partner, whose life will not be a source of concern. It should be humanoid in shape and be able to mimic unarmed fighting technique. Not only “to strike or not to strike”, but something real like martial arts.
    - I understand. I have several models that will fit you. Let’s look, please follow me, - the storekeeper invited prospective purchaser into the inner premises.

- ...And take a look at this model, - the storekeeper drew the martial artist’s attention to a big effigy looking similar to an ogre, - This is one of my best creations. Its prototype is an exceptional person. The name is Tomas Stone a.k.a Tombstone or Stonefist, but he doesn’t like these aliases. Child of love between a human man and an ogre woman, smart and wise enough to fight his violent nature and channel himself to good. In the beginning Tom was like a regular savage barbarian, with regular fights in the city taverns. He was lucky or, maybe it was his sleeping wisdom, but he managed not to kill anybody in fighting fury, because his fists became his favorite weapon. His count of busted tooths and broken bones, however, was impressive. Impressive enough to draw the attention of the captain of the city guard. Firstly, he was going to throw the bully in jail, but discerned in Tomas some potential. The captain pulled some strings and the young half-ogre found himself in the army as a recruit in a couple of days. It's been good for him. The discipline and the rules step by step forced his uncontrolled rage out of him and made him a good soldier. But as soon as it was possible Tom said goodbye to the army - it wasn’t for him. He roamed and one day came to a settlement in the foothills. Villagers asked him for help. A predator got into the habit of ravaging their flocks and even killed several people. Tom couldn't refuse these poor villagers and went to hunt. He had some hunting experience from his childhood, but the fact that he encountered an enormous mountain tiger can be due only to luck. Or maybe the tiger was hunting for Tom itself. Anyway, an encounter happened. The fight that followed was bloody and brutal. The tiger was a very tough opponent, and Tomas won on fumes. But when the predator fell on the snow and turned into a dead ogre, he realized that the main battle is ahead. He returned to the settlement with tidings that the predator won’t bother them again, but now he needed their help. Before the next full moon local blacksmith forged a strong cage and Tomas took it to the good cave villagers showed him and locked himself there for a full week. Cage withstood the animal's rage and as it has been since that time. Every moon he went to his cage and was giving battle to his internal tiger. Month by month he started to take precedence and one moonlit night he didn’t change. After that month he became stronger every day. His spirit, as well as his fist. It wasn't long when the word about him got out. That’s how I found him. I was in search of the best prototype for humanoid effigy and I knew right away - it was him! And I was right. Would you like to test him? - the storekeeper concluded his narrative.
    - Yes, this should be interesting.

- This fighter is good. Really good, - the buyer was excited about the effigy, - And his technique is really authentic. But… I don't feel from him the desire to kill. It looks like a regular human… I mean, a regular half-ogre, and his moves almost perfectly mimic moves of living creature, but when we started fighting… I immediately sensed falseness. I understand, it would be foolish to expect such a thing from nonliving… effigy…
    - I see, - the storekeeper replied, - And I think, I have what you want. But I should warn you, this is a really dangerous thing. It is my very last project. I took a copy of this effigy and saturated it with raw malice of lower planes, by immersing it into water from Styx - River of Oblivion that is flowing through most Evil places in all Multiverse. It still is mindless and obedient, but it is more than a regular magical mechanism. And if you will order it to attack you, it’ll indeed want to kill you. And in conjunction with the original skills of Tom’s effigy… It can achieve its desires.
    - I want test it!

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show
    Abilities Initial Half-Ogre Level 4 Level 8 Lycanthrope Levels 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36 Effigy Corrupted Total
    Str 15 +6 +1 +1 +7 +4 +4 38
    Dex 10 -2 -2 -2 4
    Con 13 +2 - +4 -
    Int 12 -2 - -
    Wis 14 +2 change to 11 -2 9
    Cha 8 -2 change to 1 -2 1

Spoiler: Levels Table
    Show

Effigy Were-Legendary Tiger Half-Ogre Wolf totem Barbarian-2/Fighter-8
    CR HD Alignment Class BAB Fort Save Reflex Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features Unarmed Attack & Damage
    1 1st CG Wolf totem Barbarian-1 (City Brawler) +1 +2 +0 +0 Climb (+2) 2; Intimidate (+4) 4; Jump (+4) 4; Survival (+3) 3; Swim (+3) 3; Improved Unarmed Strike Fast movement, illiteracy, berserker strength AB: +5; D: 1d4+5
    2 2nd CG Wolf totem Barbarian-2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Climb (+1) 3; Intimidate (+1) 5; Jump (+1) 5; Survival 3; Swim (+1) 4; Improved TripB AB: +6; D: 1d4+5
    3 3rd NG Fighter-1 +3 +5 +0 +0 Climb (+1) 4; Intimidate (+1) 6; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; Hammer Fist, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Unarmed Strike)B AB: +7; D: 1d6+7
    4 4th NG Fighter-2 +4 +6 +0 +0 Climb (+1) 5; Intimidate (+1) 7; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike)B AB: +10; D: 1d6+9
    5 5th LG Fighter-3 +5 +6 +1 +1 Climb (+1) 6; Intimidate (+1) 8; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; AB: +11; D: 1d6+9
    6 6th LG Fighter-4 +6 +7 +1 +1 Climb (+1) 7; Intimidate (+1) 9; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; Superior Unarmed Strike, Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike)B AB: +12/+7; D:2d6+11
    7 7th LG Fighter-5 +7 +7 +1 +1 Climb (+1) 8; Intimidate (+1) 10; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; AB: +13/+8; D:2d6+11
    8 8th LG Fighter-6 +8 +8 +2 +2 Climb (+1) 9; Intimidate (+1) 11; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; Improved Critical (Unarmed Strike)B AB: +14/+9; D: 3d6+11; 19-20/x2
    9 9th LG Fighter-7 +9 +8 +2 +2 Climb (+1) 10; Intimidate (+1) 12; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; Improved Natural attack (Unarmed Strike) AB: +15/+10; D: 4d6+11; 19-20/x2
    10 10th LG Fighter-8 +10 +9 +2 +2 Climb (+1) 11; Intimidate (+1) 13; Jump 5; Survival 3; Swim 4; Greater Weapon FocusB AB: +17/+12; D: 4d6+11; 19-20/x2
    16 36th LN Lycanthrope (Legendary Tiger) +29 +24 +17 +10 Climb 11; Control Shape (+39) 39; Intimidate 13; Jump 5; Listen (+5) 5; Survival 3; Spot (+5) 5; Swim (+3) 7; Iron WillB, Melee Weapon Mastery (bludgeoning) (12th), Snap Kick (15th), Power Attack (18th), Knock-Down (21th), Roundabout Kick (24th), Epic Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) (27th), Epic Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike) (30th), Crushing Strike (33th), Epic Prowess (36th) Alternate Form, Damage Reduction, Lycanthropic Empathy, Low-Light Vision, Scent, Curse of lycanthropy AB: +43*/+43/+38/+33/+28; D: 6d6+23 / 6d6+13; 19-20/x2
    17 26th TN Effigy +19 +8 +8 +8 - DR 15/adamantine, Improved Effigy AB: +37*/+37/+32/+27/+22; D: 6d6+28 / 6d6+16; 19-20/x2
    20 26th NE Corrupted +19 +8 +8 +8 - Darkvision 60 ft, DR 10/good, Acid immunity, Fast Healing 10**, Disruptive Attack**, Enhanced Power AB: +39*/+39/+34/+29/+24; D: 8d6+31+13(Vile)** / 8d6+17+13(Vile)**; 19-20/x2
    * - Extra attack from Snap Kick.
    ** - Debatable elements from Corrupted Creature template. Look at author's words.

Spoiler: Several words from author
    Show

Spoiler: City Brawler.
    Show
    Initially, I built my entry around the City Brawler barbarian variant and all went good… Until I realized that this variant is from a magazine… But the whole build was near complete and the story in my head was good (to be honest, that story iteration is no longer with us, I completely reinvented it) so I decided just to cut off City Brawler. Build lost only one free off-hand TWF attack and one feat for IUS, but in the end this isn't a big deal.

Spoiler: Corrupted Creature template.
    Show
    I know that there is Corrupted by the Abyss template and it is sort of an updated initial Corrupted template, but… This isn't the same thing. Abyss is only one of Evil possibilities and I need some without the Law-Chaos component. I converted the Corrupted Creature template myself following the recommendations from the Update booklet. Yes, it turned out to be stronger than Corrupted by the Abyss (through Vile damage and always working Fast Healing) and if you think that's too much, just cut out parts with double asterisk. Different elemental immunity and DR (weaker than in Corrupted by the Abyss) shouldn’t be a big problem.

Spoiler: Improved Effigy.
    Show
    This is a class feature of Effigy Master PrC.
    Improved Effigy (Ex): An effigy master of 3rd level or higher can improve upon his creations, granting them a permanent +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, damage, and saves. This requires one day of work and costs 100 gp of supplies per Hit Die of the effigy to be improved, but has no XP cost.
    Of course every Master should use it for his best creation!

Spoiler: About Power Attack and Hammer Fist.
    Show
    This is an apparent ruling to consider Hammer Fist attack as two-handed, but unfortunately, this isn’t clear RAW. And I can’t insist on that reading. And Power Attack itself. Effigy, even corrupted effigy, is only a mindless mechanism and can’t make decisions. So to determine how much it uses his Power Attack I suggest to check 1d20-1 every round.

Spoiler: Unarmed Strike is or isn’t a Natural Weapon.
    Show
    First, Magic fang (PHB, p. 250).
    Magic fang gives one natural weapon of the subject a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. The spell can affect a slam attack, fist, bite, or other natural weapon. (The spell does not change an unarmed strike’s damage from nonlethal damage to lethal damage.)
    It doesn't say whether or not an unarmed strike is a natural weapon. It does, however, specify that:
    1. The spell only affects natural weapons.
    2. The spell affects unarmed strikes.
    The logical conclusion of this is that unarmed strikes are natural weapons.

Second, Magic Weapon (PHB, p. 251).
    You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.
    It’s all written directly.

Thanks to Extra Anchovies for these arguments.

Third, Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic, p. 101).
    Effect: A fanged ring grants its wearer the Improved Unarmed Strike feat and the Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) feat. If the wearer deals a critical hit with an unarmed strike, he also deals 1 point of Constitution damage to the creature struck.
    Fourth, Superior Unarmed Strike.
    It isn’t clear RAW again, but by RAI, as I understand it, that feat as well as Monk’s Belt should make regular Unarmed Strike treated as Monk’s Unarmed Strike which definitely can be affected by Improved Natural Attack feat.

Spoiler: Heavy Unarmed Strike.
    Show
    It is simple. Iridium/Platinum/Gold/Lead Gauntlets. But for me hand straps (like Ki Straps from MIC, p. 113) with extra weights look more likely. And of course it can’t be a problem for effigy.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    PHB - Barbarian, Fighter, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Trip, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Iron Will, Power Attack
    PHBII - Melee Weapon Mastery, Berserker Strength
    Unearthed Arcana - Wolf totem Barbarian
    MM - Improved Natural attack, Lycanthrope, Control Shape
    Book of Vile Darkness - Corrupted
    Complete Arcane - Effigy, Effigy Master
    Dragon Compendium - Hammer Fist
    Epic Level Handbook - Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Specialization, Epic Prowess, Legendary Tiger
    Tome of Battle - Superior Unarmed Strike, Snap Kick
    Races of Destiny - Half-Ogre
    Magic of Faerun - Heavy Weapon
    Sword and Fist - Knock-Down
    Complete Warrior - Roundabout Kick

Show

11. - Top - End - #41

DruidGuy

4. ⟨ ǂʃǂǃǃǀǁǁɕʃ ⟩

Spoiler: Naming
    Show

Nobody heard spell weaver’s names for a long long time. Spell weavers themselves don’t speak and nobody can communicate with them via telepathy. But long ago their names were spoken. And all the spellweavers remember these sounds, how they should be heard. Not all of these clicks and hisses have equivalents in languages of more regular humanoids, but some certainly come close.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_consonant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6DLwEVb6I
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibilant

Spoiler: Disclaimer
    Show
    I understand that I haven't done anything very new in my build. But I've never created any high OP casters. It was all new for me.

Spoiler: Disclaimer 2
    Show
    I have no good story. Spell weavers are purposefully very obscure creatures and even Ecology articles in Dragon didn’t shed enough light on them.

Spoiler: Story
    Show
    It should have been a great day. Day when the empire should have taken its place in the universe… And it should be a great day in the sixth life of one regular spell weaver. It should be the day of his death. Day, when he’ll give new life to his six offspring.
    But something went terribly wrong. The Furnace exploded at the same moment when the spell weaver placed the new chromatic discs in the breeding vessels. Almost everything had been destroyed in this explosion. But something had been flung into a dimensional breach to other planes of existence. One of such things was a breeding vessel. And that was the case, there were several chromatic discs in this vessel. One was almost fully intact, but another was shattered. It ended up in the Astral plane.
    In the whole universe time went by, but Astral is a peculiar place. There is no time. Nothing was changing, only ideas were alive and moving. And ideas and thoughts were beating in the mind of a young, still not born spell weaver. He allegedly slept and had dreams. In these dreams were a myriad of fights that saw his ancestors earlier. Many warriors, their victories and deaths, their mistakes and discoveries. All their techniques and fighting methods. An unborn spell weaver was privy to them. He wasn’t a person yet, but already was impressed with martial arts of lesser species.
    There is no time in Astral, but it isn’t constant. In its infinity time to time have opened portails. One of these finally entered the spell weaver's breeding vessel. Few hours have passed and a new master of magic was borned at last…

Spoiler: Disclaimer 3
    Show
    When I discovered the idea that inspired my entry I understood that he is somehow overpowered. Hey! He can do at least 3.5K damage with one full attack! Unless I am mistaken. But even when I understood that, I can't dilute him. So he is as he is.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show
    Abilities Initial Race / Template Level 4, 8 Level 12, 16 Level 20, 24, 28, 32 Total
    Str 15 -2 2 15
    Dex 13 6 19
    Con 12 -2 10
    Int 14 8 4 26
    Wis 8 6 14
    Cha 12 6 2 20

Spoiler: Level Table
    Show
    Spell weaver-30/Monk-1/Swordsage-2

CR HD Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Reflex Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1 - Aberrant Limbs - - - - - Multiweapon Fighting (B) Extra pair of arms
    11 10 Monstrous Humanoid-10 (Spell weaver) 10 0 2 2 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 13 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 6.5 (13) ranks
    Spell Focus (Abjuration) (B), Spell Focus (Evocation) (B), Spell Penetration (B), Extend Spell (1), Persistent Spell (3), Arcane Thesis (Mirror Move) (6), Improved Multiweapon Fighting (9) Spell-like abilities, Spells, Chromatic disk, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to mind effects, Shielded mind, Spell weaving, SR 21, Telepathy
    11 11 Monstrous Humanoid-11 11 0 3 3 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 14 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 7 (14) ranks
    11 12 Monstrous Humanoid-12 12 1 3 3 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 15 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 7.5 (15) ranks
    Knock-Down
    12 13 Monstrous Humanoid-13 13 1 4 4 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 16 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 8 (16) ranks
    12 14 Monstrous Humanoid-14 14 1 4 4 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 17 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 8.5 (17) ranks
    12 15 Monstrous Humanoid-15 15 2 5 5 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 18 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 9 (18) ranks
    Greater Multiweapon Fighting
    13 16 Monstrous Humanoid-16 16 2 5 5 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 19 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 9.5 (19) ranks
    13 17 Monstrous Humanoid-17 17 2 6 6 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 20 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 10 (20) ranks
    13 18 Monstrous Humanoid-18 18 3 6 6 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 21 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 10.5 (21) ranks
    Kung Fu Genius
    14 19 Monstrous Humanoid-19 19 3 7 7 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 22 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 11 (22) ranks
    14 20 Monstrous Humanoid-20 20 3 7 7 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 23 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 11.5 (23) ranks
    14 21 Monstrous Humanoid-21 21 4 8 8 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 24 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 12 (24) ranks
    Defensive Throw
    15 22 Monstrous Humanoid-22 22 4 8 8 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 25 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 12.5 (25) ranks
    15 23 Monstrous Humanoid-23 23 4 9 9 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 26 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 13 (26) ranks
    15 24 Monstrous Humanoid-24 24 5 9 9 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 27 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 13.5 (27) ranks, Martial Lore 0.5 (1) ranks
    Great Throw The Gentle Way Mastery*
    16 25 Monstrous Humanoid-25 25 5 10 10 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 28 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 14 (28) ranks, Martial Lore 1 (2) ranks
    16 26 Monstrous Humanoid-26 26 5 10 10 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 29 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 14.5 (29) ranks, Martial Lore 1.5 (3) ranks
    16 27 Monstrous Humanoid-27 27 6 11 11 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 30 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 15 (30) ranks, Martial Lore 2 (4) ranks
    Scorpion's Grasp
    17 28 Monstrous Humanoid-28 28 6 11 11 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 31 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 15.5 (31) ranks, Martial Lore 2.5 (5) ranks
    17 29 Monstrous Humanoid-29 29 6 12 12 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 32 ranks all
    Tumble, Concentration, Speak Language 16 (32) ranks, Martial Lore 3 (6) ranks
    17 30 Monstrous Humanoid-30 30 7 12 12 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 33 ranks all
    Tumble 16 (32), Concentration, Speak Language 16 (32) ranks, Martial Lore 3.5 (7) ranks, Knowledge (nature) 1 (2) rank
    Arcane Preparation
    18 31 Decisive Strike Monk-1 30 9 12 14 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 33 ranks all
    Tumble 22 (38), Concentration, Speak Language 16 (32) ranks, Martial Lore 4 (8) ranks, Knowledge (nature) 1 (2) rank
    Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Improved Grapple (B) Decisive strike, AC bonus, Unarmed strike
    19 32 Unarmed Swordsage-1 30 9 14 16 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 33 ranks all
    Tumble 35 (51), Concentration, Speak Language 16 (32) ranks, Martial Lore 4 (8) ranks, Knowledge (nature) 1 (2) rank
    Quick to act +1, Shadow Hand focus (Weapon Focus)
    20 33 Unarmed Swordsage-2 31 9 15 17 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device 33 ranks all
    Tumble 36 (52), Concentration 28 (44) ranks, Speak Language 16 (32) ranks, Martial Lore 4 (8) ranks, Knowledge (nature) 1 (2) rank
    Residual Magic AC Bonus

* - The Gentle Way Mastery is active all time when spell weaver has Improved Unarmed Strike, Dodge, Improved Trip, and Combat Reflexes via Mirror Move.
    Mastery abilities are a bit like the synergy bonuses a character gains if she has several ranks in certain skills: characters who learn certain combinations of feats gain an extra edge for doing so.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Class 0th 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    Sorcerer-1 (Spell Weaver-N/A) (5) Amanuensis, Unnerving Gaze, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic {4} (3+1) Blood Wind, Mage Armor {2}
    Sorcerer-2 (Spell Weaver-N/A) (6) Stick {5} (4+1) {2}
    Sorcerer-3 (Spell Weaver-1) (6) {5} (5+1) Scholar’s Touch {3}
    Sorcerer-4 (Spell Weaver-2) (6) Resistance {6} (6+1) {3} (3+1) Mirror Move {1}
    Sorcerer-5 (Spell Weaver-3) (6) {6} (6+1) Guided Shot {4} (4+1) Heroics {2}
    Sorcerer-6 (Spell Weaver-4) (6) Mage Hand {7} (6+1) {4} (5+1) {2} (3+1) Mighty Wallop, Greater {1}
    Sorcerer-7 (Spell Weaver-5) (6) {7} (6+1) Shield {5} (6+1) Fox Cunning {3} (4+1) Mage Armor, Greater {2}
    Sorcerer-8 (Spell Weaver-6) (6) Mending {8} (6+1) Mage Armor, Instant Diversion {5} (6+1) {3} (5+1) {2} (3+1) Sharptooth {1}
    Sorcerer-9 (Spell Weaver-7) (6) {8} (6+1) {5} (6+1) Wraithstrike {4} (6+1) Dispel Magic {3} (4+1) Ice Shield {2}
    Sorcerer-10 (Spell Weaver-8) (6) Read Magic {9} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {3} (5+1) {2} (3) Teleport {1}
    Sorcerer-11 (Spell Weaver-9) (6) {9} (6+1) {5} (6+1) Magic Mouth {5} (6+1) Ferocity of Sanguine Rage {4} (6+1) Undeniable Gravity, Legion’s {3} (4) Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords {2}
    Sorcerer-12 (Spell Weaver-10) (6) {9} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {3} (5) {2} (3) Sirellyn's Superior Magnetism {1}
    Sorcerer-13 (Spell Weaver-11) (6) {9} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) Mirror Image, Greater {4} (6) Sonic Shield {3} (4) Investiture of the Barbed Devil {2}
    Sorcerer-14 (Spell Weaver-12) (6) {9} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6) {3} (5) {2} (3) Summon Monster VII {1}
    Sorcerer-15 (Spell Weaver-13) (6) {9} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6) Power Leech {4} (6) Transmute Rock to Steel {3} (4) Simulacrum {2}
    Sorcerer-16 (Spell Weaver-14) (6) {9} (6+2) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6) {3} (5) {2} (3) Veil of Undeath {1}
    Sorcerer-17 (Spell Weaver-15) (6) {9} (6+2) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6) {3} (6) Energy Immunity {3} (4) Earth Glide {2}
    Sorcerer-18 (Spell Weaver-16) (6) {9} (6+2) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6) {3} (6) {3} (5) {2} (3) Stasis Clone {1}
    Sorcerer-19 (Spell Weaver-17) (6) {9} (6+2) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6) {3} (6) {3} (6) Celerity, Greater {3} (4) Time Stop {2}
    Sorcerer-20 (Spell Weaver-18) (6) {9} (6+2) {5} (6+1) {5} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6+1) {4} (6) {3} (6) {3} (6) {3} (6) Absorption {3}

(Spell slots+Bonus slots) {Spell known}

Levels after Sorcerer-20 aren't presented. There are no differences.

Spoiler: Tactics and tricks
    Show

Spoiler: 11CR
    Show
    Equivalent of Sorcerer’s 12th level casting is good. No, it is great! Now, my spell weaver is in the beginning. “Only” three 6th level spells and only one known. But on lower levels it already has the main parts of the whole build. One spell - Heroics. With this spell spell weaver can obtain any fighter feat. First is Improved Unarmed Strike. It, plus Blood Wind, Greater Mighty Wallop, and Sharptooth, gives a great amount of damage with sixteen attacks in a round. And a big distance if he needs to. But only a few rounds in a day.

Spoiler: 12 CR
    Show
    He has Simulacrum and 7th level slots now. This is the first trick. Simulacrum casts Heroics on itself, and takes necessary feats. Next, spell weaver looks at simulacrum’s feats demonstrations, casts Persistent Mirror Move, and takes these feats himself. And every strike can initiate a trip via Knock-Down.

Spoiler: 14 CR. First sweet spot
    Show
    Spell weaver takes his spellcasting maximum with the previous HD. Now he can persist Blood Wind, Guided Shot, Ferocity of Sanguine Rage, plus has extended persistent Mirror Move with up to seven feats (via Fox's Cunning) and some feats from Heroics spell. Sharptooth, Greater Mirror Image, Ice Shield grant some temporary bonuses. Plus he has twenty-four attacks.

Spoiler: 17 CR
    Show
    Now the next combos are in the game. Great Throw plus Knock-Down and Scorpion's Grasp plus The Gentle Way Mastery, when all necessary feats are in, and they are in almost continuously. When a trip via Knock-Down is successful, the spell weaver can land an enemy in any square near him. Even if the initial attack was made with Blood Wind. Scorpion's Grasp allows spell weaver to start a grapple immediately after successful attack, but The Gentle Way Mastery says “No spell or other effect can force you to move.” which means autofailure of “Step 4: Maintain Grapple”, but damage from “Step 3: Hold” was done. So spell weaver has twenty-five attacks that do double unarmed damage. Triple against somebody who stands.

Spoiler: 18 CR. Second sweet spot
    Show
    Starting from 30 HD spell weaver can cast Power Leech corrupt spell via Arcane Preparation. More importantly, he can cast Extended Power Leech. And Extended Summon Monster VII. With these two spells he can improve his abilities by up to sixty in one use of combo. Best creatures to use are Ferrumach, from which it is possible to drain 16 Charisma, 18 Intelligence, and 26 Constitution. 18 Intelligence rather than 14 because of Fox's Cunning. And the second best monster is Celestial Baleen Whale. It gives spell weaver 35 Strength, 13 Dexterity, and 12 Wisdom. If there are no suitable water bodies nearby, Baleen Whale can be replaced by Celestial Elephant for 30 Strength, 10 Dexterity, and 12 Wisdom.
    There are two problems. First is Will save, second is corruption cost. Against wisdom drain Veil of Undeath will help. Summoned creature’s will saves aren’t great, but they still can succeed, and this isn’t good. I have a solution. Spell weaver casts Magic Mouth on himself, with any specific trigger and message like: “You should not resist my magic”. He summons monsters, gives the trigger and monsters will voluntarily give up their Will saves. After successful using of two Power Leeches spell weaver will have:
    Abilities with Celestial Baleen Whale with Celestial Elephant
    Str 50 45
    Dex 32 29
    Con 36 36
    Int 44 44
    Wis 26 26
    Cha 34 34
    for five or ten hours depending on reading the spell and what is extending and what is not.

Plus, spell weaver no longer needs to give himself Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple via Heroics or Mirror Move and now has Int to AC.

Spoiler: 19 CR
    Show
    Spell weaver can take six martial maneuvers up to 8th level and one 1st level stance. It looks good to take three Shadow Hand maneuvers (Shadow Stride, Shadow Blink, Death in the Dark) and three Diamond Mind maneuvers (Diamond Defense, Mind Over Body, Rapid Counter).

Spoiler: 20 CR
    Show
    Spell weaver now has one more maneuver (any Diamond Mind maneuver, Moment of Alacrity, for example), and Residual Magic feat.

Spoiler: Overall tactics
    Show
    Every day starts with a double Summon Monster + Power Leech combo.
    Step by step.
    1. Magic Mouth (3rd lvl slot);
    2. Extended Summon Monster VII (9th lvl slot) - Celestial Baleen Whale/Celestial elephant;
    3. Extended Summon Monster VII (7th lvl slot via Residual Magic) - Ferrumach;
    4. Extended Power Leech on Ferrumach (7th lvl slot);
    5. Extended Power Leech on Celestial Baleen Whale (5th lvl slot via Residual Magic);
    6. Fox Cunning on Ferrumach (2nd lvl slot);
    7. When he drains enough Constitution casts Veil of Undeath (8th lvl slot) with minimum CL (16).
    8. Drain all what he needs.
    9. When Power Leeches will and, target Dispel Magic on Veil of Undeath (3th lvl slot)
    Profit.

Continue with Simulacrum + Heroics + Extended Persistent Mirror Move combo.
    Simulacrum Heroics on itself up to 17 times.
    Feat priority: Improved Unarmed Strike (until 31 HD); Improved Grapple** (until 31 HD); Combat Expertise; Improved Trip; Combat Reflexes; Dodge; Improved Toughness; Martial Study** (Time Stands Still) (starting from 33 HD); Martial Stance** (Balance on the Sky) (starting from 30 HD); Improved Natural Attack**; Point Blank Shot; Far Shot; Power Attack; Stunning Fist; Improved Critical; Versatile Unarmed Strike**; any one of Skewer Foe**, Pulverize Foe**, Flay Foe**; Mountain Warrior**; Ripost**; Deceptive Dodge**; Deflect Arrows; Lightning Reflexes; Run; Improved Disarm; Mobility;
    Then the spell weaver looks at the simulacrum’s moves and casts Extended Persistent Mirror Move (8th lvl slot - Arcane Thesis).

** - this feats don’t explicitly allow with Mirror Move spell, but:
    The DM may allow mirroring of feats from sources other than the Player's Handbook, as long as they are feats with observable physical effects.
    And if you don’t allow them for Mirror Move, the spellweaver can obtain them by Persistent (for 24 hours) or Extended (for only 10 hours) Heroics casted by himself. And remember about Residual Magic feat.

Next: Persistent Blood Wind (7th lvl slot), Greater Mage Armor (3th lvl slot), Persistent Guided Shot (7th lvl slot), Persistent Wraithstrike (8th lvl slot), Greater Mighty Wallop (3th lvl slot), Persistent Shield (7th lvl slot).

If a fight will not be unpredictable, spell weaver casts Sharptooth, Sonic Shield, Investiture of the Barbed Devil, Greater Mirror Image, and uses Invisibility SLA.
    Plus he can prepare a battlefield with combo Transmute Rock to Steel and Sirellyn's Superior Magnetism and fight right above this place, but I am not sure if it would be a violation against “only buffs or debuffs” restriction or not. And if you think it is - don’t mind.

If all these preparations would be dispelled - cast Greater Celerity then Time Stop and quickly refresh the most important spells - spell weaving helps in it very much. Or retreat via Teleport, Earth Glide, any Shadow Hand teleportation maneuver, or Plane Shift SLA.

If spell weaver even would be slain… Well, he has the Stasis Clone anyway.

Spoiler: And some more combos
    Show

The spell weaver preferred fighting being situated above ground via Balance on the Sky stance. Maybe 100 feet above. And when he trips somebody with Great Throw his victim in addition to regular damage takes 10d6 falling damage.

Blood Wind + Guided Shot + Far Shot.
    The subject can take a full attack action to use all of its natural weapons or unarmed strikes as if they were thrown weapons with a 20-foot range increment.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    thrown
    weapon, such as a throwing axe, has a maximum range of five range increments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Far Shot
    When you use a thrown weapon, its range increment is doubled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Shot
    While this spell is in effect, your ranged attacks do not take a penalty due to distance.
    So we have all unarmed attacks without penalties on distances up to 200 feet.

Extra Limbs and Grapple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword and Fist, p. 62
    At the Dungeon Master’s option, creatures with more than two arms can get a bonus to grappling checks when they wrestle an opponent with their arms. (The bonus would not apply, for example, to a marilith’s constrict attack.) This bonus is +4 per extra pair of arms—so a marilith would get +8 (in addition to its size modifier), while a xill or a mutant sahuagin would gain a +4 bonus.
    According to this spell weaver with Aberrant Limbs has +12 bonus to grapple checks.

Spell weavers and V components.
    Spell weavers don’t speak. But they somehow cast spells as sorcerers. And this has no RAW support. I understand that it can look inelegant. And suggest a solution. I can skip Arcane Thesis (Mirror Move) and take in place of it Nonverbal spell. Maybe even as 1st level feat and move other feats up. If I do this my spell weaver can’t cast Extended Persistent Mirror Move - only Persistent and can’t qualify for Knock-Down on 12th level, so I need to switch the Knock-Down and Kung Fu Genius.

Spoiler: Books
    Show
    PHB - Monk (p. 39), Spell Focus (p. 100), Spell Penetration (p. 100), Extend Spell (p. 94), Improved Unarmed Strike (p. 96), Improved Grapple (p. 95), Prestidigitation (p. 264), Detect Magic (p. 219), Mage Armor (p. 249), Resistance (p. 272), Mage Hand (p. 249), Shield (p. 278), Fox's Cunning (p. 233), Mending (p. 253), Dispel Magic (p. 223), Read Magic (p. 269), Teleport (p. 292), Magic Mouth (p. 251), Summon Monster VII (p. 287), Simulacrum (p. 279), Time Stop (p. 294), Combat Expertise (p. 92), Improved Trip (p. 96), Combat Reflexes (p. 92), Dodge (p. 93), Deflect Arrows (p. 93), Lightning Reflexes (p. 97), Run (p. 99), Improved Disarm (p. 95), Mobility (p. 98), Point Blank Shot (p. 98), Far Shot (p. 94), Power Attack (p. 98), Stunning Fist (p. 101), Improved Critical (p. 95)
    PHB2 - Arcane Thesis (p. 74), Decisive Strike (p. 51), Mirror Image, Greater (p. 120), Sonic Shield (p. 125), Celerity, Greater (p. 105), Versatile Unarmed Strike (p. 85)
    DMG2 - Aberrant Limbs (p. 158)
    MM - Multiweapon Fighting (p. 304)
    MM2 - Spell weaver (p. 187)
    MM5 - Improved Toughness (p. 205), Improved Natural Attack (p. 204)
    Oriental Adventure - Great Throw (p. 63), The Gentle Way Mastery (p. 81)
    Complete Arcane - Persistent Spell (p. 81), Arcane Preparation (p. 73), Mage Armor, Greater (p. 114), Absorption (p. 96)
    Complete Mage - Residual Magic (p. 46)
    Complete Warrior - Defensive Throw (p. 97)
    Spell Compendium - Amanuensis (p. 7), Blood Wind (p. 33), Stick (p. 206), Guided Shot (p. 108), Heroics (p. 113), Wraithstrike (p. 243), Veil of Undeath (p. 229)
    Races of Destiny - Scholar’s Touch (p. 167)
    Races of the Dragon - Mighty Wallop, Greater (p. 115), Instant Diversion (p. 113)
    Races of Stone - Earth Glide (p. 162), Mountain Warrior (p. 142)
    Sandstorm - Scorpion's Grasp (p. 52)
    Frostburn - Ice Shield (p. 99)
    Dragon Compendium - Kung Fu Genius (p. 101), Ripost (p. 105), Deceptive Dodge (p. 95)
    Dragon Magic - Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (p. 67), Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords (p. 74)
    Draconomicon - Sharptooth (p. 81), Energy Immunity (p. 113)
    Miniatures Handbook - Undeniable Gravity, Legion's (p. 40)
    Planar Handbook - (p. )
    Book of Vile Darkness - Unnerving Gaze (p. 108), Power Leech (p. 101)
    Savage Species - Improved Multiweapon Fighting (p. 36), Greater Multiweapon Fighting (p. 35)
    Sword and Fist - Knock-Down (p. 7)
    Fiendish Codex II - Investiture of the Barbed Devil (p. 101)
    Lords of Darkness - Stasis Clone (p. 189)
    Tome of Battle - Unarmed Swordsage (p. 20), Shadow Stride (p. 80), Shadow Blink (p. 78), Death in the Dark (p. 76), Diamond Defense (p. 62), Mind Over Body (p. 64), Rapid Counter (p. 65), Moment of Alacrity (p. 64), Time Stands Still (p. 66), Balance on the Sky (p. 75), Martial Study (p. 31), (p. 31), Martial Stance (p. 31)
    Fiend Folio - Ferrumach (p. 143)
    Champions of Ruin - Flay Foe (p. 20), Pulverize Foe (p. 21), Skewer Foe (p. 22)
    Planar Handbook - Nonverbal Spell (p. 40)
    Web - Mirror Move
    Web - Sirellyn's Superior Magnetism
    Web - Transmute Rock to Steel

Dragon #338 - Ecology of Spell Weaver(p. 62)
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2021-09-27 at 05:41 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

DruidGuy

and that's it this go around
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have a draft for one build. I created it yesterday or day before yesterday.

Spoiler: Totally Unnamed Brawler
    Show

Reptilian Psionical Duergar Fighter-8/Scaled Horror-1/Warblade-6/Crusader-4
    Spoiler: Numbers
    Show
    CR Class BAB Feats
    1st Reptilian Creature -
    2nd Fighter-1 1 Combat Expertise (B); Evasive Reflexes; Brawler (Traite)
    3rd Fighter-2 2 Dodge (B)
    4th Fighter-3 3 Karmic Strike
    5th Fighter-4 4 Improved Trip (B)
    6th Fighter-5 5
    7th Fighter-6 6 Improved Combat Expertise (B); Duergar Expansion
    8th Fighter-7 7
    9th Warblade-1 8
    10th Darksong Knight-8 (Fighter Sub) 9 Ironheart Aura; Riposte (B)
    11th Scaled Horror-1 9
    12th Warblade-2 10
    13th Warblade-3 11 Stormguard Warrior
    14th Warblade-4 12
    15th Warblade-5 13 Stone Power (B)
    16th Warblade-6 14 Shards of Granite
    17th Crusader-1 15
    18th Crusader-2 16
    19th Crusader-3 17 Robiar's Gambit
    20th Crusader-4 18

Abilities Initial Race / Template Level 4 Other Levels Total
    Str 12 +2 14
    Dex 16 +1 17
    Con 17 +4 +3 24
    Int 13 13
    Wis 8 +2 10
    Cha 8 -4 4

Level Class Initiator Level Maneuvers Known Maneuvers Readied Stances Known
    1st 0
    2nd 1
    3rd 1
    4th 2
    5th 2
    6th 3
    7th 3
    8th Warblade-1 4 Insightful Strike; Steel Wind; Wall of Blades Pearl of Black Doubt
    9th 5
    10th 5 3
    11th Warblade-2 6 Emerald Razor 3
    12th Warblade-3 7 Mithral Tornado 3
    13th Warblade-4 8 Steel Wind Iron Heart Endurance 4 Crushing Weight of the Mountain
    14th Warblade-5 9 Insightful Strike, Greater 4
    15th Warblade-6 10 Insightful Strike Rapid Counter 4
    16th Crusader-1 11 Iron Bones; Defensive Rebuke; Irrestible Mountain Strike; Elder Mountain Hammer; Bonsplitting Strike 5(2) Thicket of Blades
    17th Crusader-2 12 5(2) Punishing Stance
    18th Crusader-3 13 5(2)
    19th Crusader-4 14 Bonsplitting Strike Collossus Strike 5(2)

Maybe there are some mistakes.

Main idea is to create Martial Artist around Brawler (Traite) and this means without Improved Unarmed Strike.
    What do IUS? With it we can treat and don't provoke AoO.
    Well. Reptilian Creature has two claws so he treat and this build's main thing is to provoke AoO. Every time when enemy strikes he provoke AoO, maybe two and Brawler doesn't use it, via Channel the Storm Stormguard Warrior's options he takes To Hit bonus. And himself he uses Combat Rhythm option to increase his damage.
    Full-attack: Combat Rhythm, Combat Rhythm, Combat Rhythm, Try to Trip
    Always on full use Improved Combat Expertise, Stone Power, and fighting defensively.
    Expansion - swift, 3/day, for 200 minutes each.

If enemy try to escape then use Improved Grab from Scaled Horror.

Warblade and Crusader of course can be placed in more optimal order, but I remind: this is raw draft.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-09-27 at 06:41 AM.

My competition's medals.

Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Congrats to the entrants. I found this a very hard one to get inspired for.

I started working on a Monster of Legend Dragonkin Battle Dancer 11/Soul Eater 4, but it just felt a bit lacklustre, and underpowered.

I also considered a Marrusault, but again, couldn't find much inspiration...

Briefly considered an Immoth, but their innate Sorcerer casting presented issues with sticking to spells that are strictly buffs and debuffs.

Also, a note for competitors: please please please, include a brief build stub somewhere near the start of your entries! It makes it soooo much easier as a spectator (or judge) to understand what's going on!

[edit] OK, went back and found all 4 did have build stubs, but had to go searching for a couple of them. [/edit]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Also, a note for competitors: please please please, include a brief build stub somewhere near the start of your entries! It makes it soooo much easier as a spectator (or judge) to understand what's going on!

[edit] OK, went back and found all 4 did have build stubs, but had to go searching for a couple of them. [/edit]
    "Build stub" is something like this: Gelatinous Cube-4/fighter-3/rogue-5/Monk-1?

My competition's medals.

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    "Build stub" is something like this: Gelatinous Cube-4/fighter-3/rogue-5/Monk-1?
    Precisely.

On searching, all the entries had one, but for at least two it took me a while to find them. I mean, it's up to each entrant, but I find putting that clearly very close to the start of your entry helps clarify things.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Do we have anyone judging, incidentally?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Attempted two builds for this, both weren't suitable for the competition.

First build concept was a Truenamer/Initiator build. Unfortunately, since the build is for a villain and an NPC, they have much less WBL than a player-character, and a Truename build doesn't really work without player-level wealth.

Truespeak Check (WBL of 760K at level 20)
    Intelligence (36,000 gold) – 8
    Ranks – 23
    Amulet of Silver Tongue, Greater (10,000 gold) – 10
    Custom Ring of Truespeak +44 (193,600 gold) – 44
    Total Truespeak Skill – 85

Truespeak Check (WBL of 220K at level 20)
    Intelligence - 5
    Ranks - 23
    Amulet of Silver Tongue, Greater (10,000 gold) – 10
    Custom Ring of Truespeak +20 - (62,500 gold) - 20
    Total Truespeak Skill - 58

Even after putting aside a third of our wealth for just the Truespeak skill for a villain, never mind the other gear a character has to buy, a check of 58 barely gets basic Utterances at level 20, never mind Quickening them to support a character with manoeuvres. If I get the chance to make this character for a build competition another time, I might - I had some further build ideas for this that I'd like to flesh out.

Second build idea wanted to use the Truespeak prestige class, Disciple of the Word. Paladin of Tyranny 4/Monk 2/Disciple of the Word 9/X 5. Paladin of Tyranny 4 got Rebuke Undead, which could fuel Travel Devotion, and Monk 2 was a class prerequisite. The PrC isn't as crippled with a low Truespeak check as a Truenamer is, but the character didn't do nearly enough damage to work as a concept.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck to the people that did manage to make build concepts that worked.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Truespeak Check (WBL of 760K at level 20)
    You can be more than 20th ECL in this comp.
    So ranks more 23 and Epic Skill Focus.

What did you want do with Truenamer?
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-10-02 at 05:31 PM.

My competition's medals.

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

True, but that's a tradeoff of class levels. A truenamer ideally wants high skill checks, high intelligence, and to lose relatively few class levels.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

You can be more than 20th ECL in this comp.
    So ranks more 23 and Epic Skill Focus.

What did you want do with Truenamer?
    It's going to be pretty hard to make up missing 30-odd skill check bonus between a PC and NPC character. And the higher the character level, the higher the check required becomes, so being a really high level could well cripple my Truespeak ability in the process.

I would have used Truenamer and Quicken Utterance. Something like Truenamer 10/Warblade 10. Haste, slow, free movement, all that to support a gish, along with enough initiator levels to hit 8th-level manoeuvres.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's going to be pretty hard to make up missing 30-odd skill check bonus between a PC and NPC character. And the higher the character level, the higher the check required becomes, so being a really high level could well cripple my Truespeak ability in the process.
    require a successful Truespeak check; the DC for the check is equal to 15 + (2 × target creature’s CR). Your effective caster level for your utterances is equal to your truenamer level.
    CR cap is anyway 20. Do I miss something?

You can do something like Human Truenamer 1 + Beast of Bane/Xvim + 17 Humanoin HD + Truenamer 9 + Warblade 5.
    CL is 33, max ranks 36, +10 from epic focus. 23/30 gup are closed. And you can trade any Warblade level for 4 more HDs. IL 2 times more, 1+1/3 feat, 4 more max skill ranks.

Of course BoB is not original. But I invented this faster than I wrote this.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-10-03 at 06:53 AM.

My competition's medals.

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

CR cap is anyway 20. Do I miss something?

You can do something like Human Truenamer 1 + Beast of Bane/Xvim + 17 Humanoin HD + Truenamer 9 + Warblade 5.
    CL is 33, max ranks 36, +10 from epic focus. 23/30 gup are closed. And you can trade any Warblade level for 4 more HDs. IL 2 times more, 1+1/3 feat, 4 more max skill ranks.

Of course BoB is not original. But I invented this faster than I wrote this.
    Not familiar with this, and how you calculated the challenge rating, but isn't 17 Humanoid hit dice equal to 8.5 CR, and the class levels of the other stuff equal to 15?

Also got myself mixed up with how Truespeak is calculated - it uses HD for player characters but CR for creatures with CR.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Not familiar with this, and how you calculated the challenge rating, but isn't 17 Humanoid hit dice equal to 8.5 CR, and the class levels of the other stuff equal to 15?

Also got myself mixed up with how Truespeak is calculated - it uses HD for player characters but CR for creatures with CR.
    It's a little bit missing the exact reason why, but they're not wrong. In this competition, you're making a villain, usually a BBEG. It's generally expected that you'll be a couple levels ahead of the PCs, and PC's CRs tend to be equal to their level. So if you make a level 12 villain, your PCs are gonna be like lvl 8 or 9 (depending on how badass you are and they are). Part of why truenamers have issues is because 1) PCs face more bad guys than bad guys face PCs, so they have to deal with the DC scaling from lots more uses per day, and 2) truenamers tend to have a level disadvantage against the toughest enemies, which directly hinders their ability to affect said enemies. You don't have those two problems, so truenamer villains are (sort of) more effective than truenamer PCs.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

My idea was to do a Were-Dire Squid Giant of some kind and Disciple of Malar to have 8 +20 damage attacks or some such
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    It's a little bit missing the exact reason why, but they're not wrong. In this competition, you're making a villain, usually a BBEG. It's generally expected that you'll be a couple levels ahead of the PCs, and PC's CRs tend to be equal to their level. So if you make a level 12 villain, your PCs are gonna be like lvl 8 or 9 (depending on how badass you are and they are). Part of why truenamers have issues is because 1) PCs face more bad guys than bad guys face PCs, so they have to deal with the DC scaling from lots more uses per day, and 2) truenamers tend to have a level disadvantage against the toughest enemies, which directly hinders their ability to affect said enemies. You don't have those two problems, so truenamer villains are (sort of) more effective than truenamer PCs.
    Okay, what am I missing with calculating CR?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, what am I missing with calculating CR?
    You're not doing anything wrong with calculating CR, it's just that some of the finer details bias truenaming in favor of villains, so it's not quite as bad as usual.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    You're not doing anything wrong with calculating CR, it's just that some of the finer details bias truenaming in favor of villains, so it's not quite as bad as usual.
    I'm of the opinion that the wealth of a PC overshadows that of an NPC when it comes to Truespeaking. I did two calculations of a PC and NPC at level 20 spending about 30% of their wealth on their Truespeak check, the PC got about 27 skill points better on their Truespeak check and could Quicken their favourite Utterance five times a day before rolling for their skill check.

Its really hard to make this difference up even with mild shenanigans like empty race levels to get into Epic levels to get Epuc Skill Focus and some extra skill ranks. Maybe I'll come up with a solution I'm happy with in the future.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Humanoid's HDs raise CR 1 for 4. So +16 HD equal +4 CR. Plus, 1 HD has given by Beast of Bane template for free.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-10-04 at 08:04 AM.

My competition's medals.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are anybody judging?

My competition's medals.

Show