New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Free Guy (2021)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Free Guy (2021)

Hey everyone. Today I'm going to give you my review of Free Guy (2021) that I saw early this morning.
    Spoiler: My Thoughts Of Free Guy (2021)
    Show
    Free Guy is about when a bank teller discovers he's a background player in an open-world video game, he decides to become the hero of his own story -- one that he can rewrite himself. In a world where there are no limits, he's determined to save the day his way before it's too late, and maybe find a little romance with the coder who conceived him. What I like about this movie is there was so much action, comedy, and romance all together in one movie. There were also so many pop culture references and cameos as well. What I don't like about this movie is that the evil version of Guy was is over buffed and cringe. It's a very good movie and I enjoy it. I'll give Free give an 8.5 out of 10 stars.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Free Guy (2021)

Anyone remember Yahtzee Crosshaw's Mogworld? It has the similar premise of an NPC becoming sentient.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    and maybe find a little romance with the coder who conceived him.
    So, his parent.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    So, his parent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Technically he falls for the person his coder cares about. The person he falls for just also happens to have helped build the engine/AI.

Got to see this a couple weeks back and it was a lot of fun. Definitely worth seeing in theater if you can swing it. Its surprisingly thoughtful at times, and the trailers don't really do it justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I've been on the fence with this one, I might actually have to give it a go. Most films in similar stylings tend to be... not great.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GarrisonsandGno View Post
    I've been on the fence with this one, I might actually have to give it a go. Most films in similar stylings tend to be... not great.
    It does have a few cheesey moments, but overall its just a lot of light hearted fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GarrisonsandGno View Post
    My wife and I really enjoyed it. I felt some shades of the Truman Show...

Spoiler: Some plot points, but not much
    Show
    a character being a popular icon while being honestly themselves, unaware of the popularity. It didn't have the deception overtones of Truman Show, where everyone was trying to keep him from realizing the truth... rather, no one knew the truth about him, and, when they figured it out, they had to convince him of it.

but I would consider it better done than The Truman Show.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

My girlfriend and I went to see it at the drive-in. It was OK, except for the people keeping their engines running and their air-conditioners on.

I think the ending dragged a bit, and there was a real "look at all the cool IP we have rights to" flavor to some of it. Overall a good solid escapist movie.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...