Default Re: Skull & Shackles: The Wormwood Mutiny [IC]

Spoiler: Fort save
    Show
    Fort save (1d20+4)[22]

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Tramp will suppress her storm once more seeing as its not being as helpful as shed originally hoped, and drop her crab pot in hopes that the beasty would prefer to munch on the tasty crabs instead of herself. try struggle free from the sea beastie and try to free herself and make for the surface her lungs starting to burn as she runs low on oxygen
    Spoiler
    Show
    FA; suppress storm
    FA; drop crab pot
    SA; attempt to wriggle free form mean nasty fishy if it doesn't let me go in favor of the crab (1d20+1)[9]
    MA; swim towards surface (dragging fish with me if necessary/possible)
    FRA; if fishy lets go FRA swim for the surface
    Last edited by Master K; 2022-02-17 at 01:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

A smile creeps across Sprawl's face at the sudden turn of events. He lets loose another torrent of blows hoping to end this before he needs to head up for air.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

[Free] Engage Risky Strike.
    [Swift] Spend 1 Ki point to gain an additional attack.
    [Full Round Action] Flurry of Blows Attack 1 (1d20+6)[14] (add 2 if flanking) for (1d6+6)[12] non lethal bludgeoning and (2d6+2)[11] sneak attack damage.
    Flurry of Blows Attack 2 (1d20+6)[12] (add 2 if flanking) for (1d6+6)[7] non lethal bludgeoning and (2d6+2)[8] sneak attack damage.
    Flurry of Blows Attack 3 (1d20+6)[9] (add 2 if flanking) for (1d6+6)[11] non lethal bludgeoning and (2d6+2)[4] sneak attack damage.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

Sparkles begins trying to swim away from the cyclone.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[12] FRA Swim, towards the boat if that is away from the cyclone.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Colossus in the Playground

In separate locations of the reef ...

Spoiler: Tramp
    Show
    R3T22: Tramp suppresses her storm once more, seeing as its not being as helpful as she'd originally hoped. She drops her crab pot in hopes that the beasty would prefer to munch on the tasty crabs instead of herself. She tries to struggle free from the sea beastie but fails as her lungs begin to burn as she runs low on oxygen.

R3T14: The sea bug pinches harder and harder (5), poison continuing to go back into Tramp.

R3T6: Something comes in at pretty impressive speed to stab the sea bug for 7. It is Sandy with her rapier out, in some type of swimming position that says she's ready to fight underwater.

R4T22: Tramp, roll a Fort save vs. poison. What do you do?

Spoiler: Sprawl
    Show
    R3T12: A smile creeps across Sprawl's face at the sudden turn of events. He lets loose another torrent of blows hoping to end this before he needs to head up for air. The first strike completely drops it. So while the follow-up strikes aren't great, the sea bug is unable do defend. Even though he was going for nonlethal, he does so much damage overall that he will still kill the sea creature just from pain and shock.

R3T24: Selkie nods and heads up to the surface.

R3T12: Sprawl, what do you do?

Spoiler: Sparkles
    Show
    R2T3: Sparkles begins to move away from the cyclone, but the water is no longer easy and he goes under.

But as quickly as the cyclone appeared, the water stops tossing about, Sparkles regains some measure of himself and pops back up to the surface to see the weather has cleared. Other than a little leftover chop that is quickly correcting itself, it is as if nothing has happened. Surely this reef is cursed!

R3T3: What do you do? You see Selkie's white hair on a surfaced head several yards away.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

6. - Top - End - #306

Sprawl grimaces at once again unnecissarily taking a life, but the creature would likely have not given him the same concern. He makes his way to the surface. As he crests the boundry before sea and air he fills his lungs with salty air and asks Selkie "Nice moves ya got thar. Think anyone likes sea bug stew?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Tramp once again attempts to wriggle free in a desperate attempt to make it to the surface her lungs screaming.

Spoiler: Maximum effort
    Show
    Fort save; (1d20+4)[15]
    SA; attempt to wriggle free (1d20+1)[3]
    MA; Swim towards surface

8. - Top - End - #308

R3T12: Sprawl grimaces at once again unnecissarily taking a life, but the creature would likely have not given him the same concern. He makes his way to the surface. As he crests the boundry before sea and air he fills his lungs with salty air and asks Selkie "Nice moves ya got thar. Think anyone likes sea bug stew?"

R3T3: Sparkles is seen a short distance away, swimming along the reef in a direction that is towards the boat.

R4T22: Tramp resists the poison, but her desperate attempt to wriggle free does not avail her. She is now out of air.

R4T14: The sea bug was terrified of that crazy stab that Sandy landed on it. It releases its grip on Tramp and tries to flee. Sandy tries to stab it as it goes, but misses.

R4T6: Still under the effects of her swimming, she holds onto Tramp and zooms up to the surface, broaching just as needed to allow Tramp to go from just having run out of breath to having a throat-rending gasp and inhalation that the others on the surface see.

All Initiative Ends ...

Sandy can catch up with Sparkles and corrale him in.

Tramp, do you explain what happened and what you did? Because Sparkles is a bit of in a freakout.

As the group is in sort of a treading huddle, supporting Sparkles, Selkie admits, "That was a reefclaw that Sprawl and I fought. It looks like a mix between a lobster and an eel, but it is not truly a sea animal, but a category of weird we academics call, 'Aberrations.'

"Well, damn," admits Sandy. "I figured it be somethin' I never seen before. I don't know about aberrations. Yuck. I guess we go back to crab huntin'?"

"Oh, you don't understand," says Selkie. "Fisherman that know consider reefclaw a delicacy. There were a lot of them up in Riddleport - where I last lived before coming down this way. Always one or two that gets caught in the net, but you have to be aware of their poison because they can dull your muscles. So, let's fill up some of the pots, but I think a five-stone critter will be a surprise for our crew."

"While we're all here, enjoyin' a purposeful swim call," begins Sandy, more carefully than her carefree speech would normally indicate. "Does anyone else get the feeling that Mr. Plugg and his lapdog Master Scourge would end us if they could?"

Selkie looks down as he treads water, and nods thoughtfully.

Tramp, Sprawl ... how do you respond?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

taking a few more seconds to get her breathing under control Tramp nods "Thanks for the save back there Sandy... and Yeah I'm totally with you about Plugg, I swear that he was disappointed when Scourge left Sprawl with only an inch of his life left rather than dead, and then he assigned me 3 lashes for what? I didn't drink a glass of rum? I understand we are supposed to drink it but 3 lashes for a first offense seems a bit excessive if you ask me." shrugging at the last part.
    Last edited by Master K; 2022-02-19 at 04:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

"It seems obvious they don't care about us."

11. - Top - End - #311

"We need to start making friends among those whom we can affect," says Sandy. "But we also have to be careful about annoying people if you don't have a way about you. Sprawl, you seem to have a disarming way about you when treating people fairly. You can also talk a good game, better'n'me. Sparkles, yer better tryin' to act tough rather than endearin'. Sorry, chum, I know yer a sweetie, but it's how what people see and how you can carry off have best effect.

"Next, we need a good sense of those places we don't have. Any of you good with finding magic booby-traps? I know that our ship's mage likely has some places that are officers-only warded, and getting a look-see might be good.

"I'm not saying we do anything so drastic as the 'Big M' but I think it bears us well if we keep a weather eye out and keep together. More than that, ta' seem indispensible as crewmembers.

"What say you?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312

Sprawl takes a moment to rub where he got the lash. "Aye, they seem ta take a bit ta much joy in carryin out thar 'duties'. I dun nothin but try an make friends an do my job, but it ain't seem ta be enough. I havn't seen no magical booby traps, but I also ain't been looking ta get acquainted with tha lash."

13. - Top - End - #313

"I know what you're doing," says Selkie.

Sandy looks at him to continue.

"Oh," he demurs, "I think I get it, and you're right. We need to create a clique of our own for protection, and keep an eye out for opportunities. Here's my problem. I cast arcane spells. I need my spellbook and component pouch. I'd prefer my sword and gear as well, but my spellbook is the most important thing I need. Until that time, I'm really just muscle."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314

"Any idea o has ya spell book?" Sprawl inquires.

15. - Top - End - #315

"I think it's probably in the Quartermaster's shop," answers Selkie.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316

"If I can get sumthin ta trade o gamble with, I can prolly see about gettin a good deal." Sprawl says.

17. - Top - End - #317

"We better head back before they give us for lost and leave without us," says Selkie.

"This time, no racing. Let's all work together, with me and Selkie helping to carry Sparkles. I can already feel my slipstream spell failing," says Sandy.

This time, working together, especially since you have to carefully handle your crab pots and the reefclaw, you take your time and make it back to the ship.

You hear that Handbag got rope bashed, but if you can't swim, you can't swim, and as long as he went wordlessly to the galley to help with meal preps, he'll be okay.

You will hear scuttlebutt that the captain loves reefclaw, and it comes time for the evening meal.

Does everyone drink their rum rations?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Tramp Dinks her Rum Ration, happy to be back on solid 'ground' so to speak. As much as she enjoys swimming, she came a little to close to drowning for comfort, and looks forward to the chance to get some rest.

19. - Top - End - #319

Sprawl drinks his rum ration, happy for a day of good exercise and not getting whipped. Though tired, he is glad for the discovery of hopefully new friends and comrades.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Sparkles drinks his rum rations and stays near his new acquaintances.

21. - Top - End - #321

All three of you will be exhausted (fatigue day + rum rations), but you will be pleasing and personable. Enjoying your delicious reefclaw-and-crab cioppino, the captain makes a rare appearance at mealtime.

He calls down from the poop deck. "Let it be known that while discipline is strictly enforced, rewards are given for those who perform above and beyond the call of piracy."

There's a subdued laughter at the modification of a popular phrase.

The captain continues. "Today, five of our own - Sandy, Sparkles, Sprawl, Selkie, and Tramp - did make our pirate forbears proud. Stand up!"

Your exhausted, but a good kind of exhausted, and your group stands to cheers.

"To all who see these presents..." the captain begins, ramping up to the end, expecting ...

"GREETINGS!" shout officers (who have come out) and crew.

"For feats of stamina in long-distance swimming and unparalleled aquatic puissance, these five pirate nonquals - despite lack of proper training - did do pitched battle against the dangerous oceanic predator known as a reefclaw and further, did prevail. With an incredible feat of strength, in particular, one Selkie..."

"HUZZAH!"

"... did portage a 73-pound reefclaw some 200' by himself while his fellows carried crab pots to win for captain, officers, and crew a handsome meal."

Applause for all.

Mr. Plugg shouts, "Pollywog Selkie, stand tall before the main!"

Selkie moves to the mainmast.

The Captain calls out, "Pollywog Selkie, for your feat as above, your skilled work as a rigger, and your generally proven seamanship, you are hereby rewarded with the equipment that was held in abeyance when you were 'lawfully and honorably recruited' to stable employment as a member of the Wormwood."

"Quartermaster!"
    calls Mr. Plugg. "Attend to duty!"

Cut-Throat Grok carries a sack of materials and leaves it at Selkie's feet.

"From this day forward, you will no longer be known as 'pollywog,' but as 'Seaman' Selkie. Wormwood, cheers for your new pirate brother!"

And with that, raucous cheers from throughout. The captain and officers retire to their cabin and staterooms, but there is a party in the crew's berthing for Selkie.

You can "attend" if you want, but you might just as easily konk out. Does anyone do anything not on the menu? Note that you are exhausted, though your CHA is a little higher. Your sheets have NOT been updated for this.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-02-23 at 06:55 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322

Not one to miss the chance for a good tale, Sprawl attends the festivities for a brief period, sharing the harrowing tale of his and Selkie's pitched battle with Reefclaw, making sure to play up the nights hero and of course a humble boast or two of his own prowess in the matter.

23. - Top - End - #323

Sprawl falls asleep while telling his own tale. It's okay, nobody begrudges him for it.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

Sparkles will make his way to his hammock and pass out.

25. - Top - End - #325

DAY 12 ABOARD THE WORMWOOD

Today, Selkie is assgined to Mainsail Duties. Sprawl is assigned to Hauling Rope & Knot Work. Sparkles is assigned to Ratcatcher. Sandy & Tramp are both assigned to Swab the Decks.

What ship actions will each of you take today? Feel free to either discuss it "quietly, together" at morning meal, or just tell me (here) what you intend to do, and whether or not your tell your clique as much.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

Sparkles approaches Sandy before his daily duties.
    "There is a guy I've worked with who seems like a reliable person, were not friends but I did help him with a rash he had on his neck. I'm not very good at talking to people so I thought you or one of the others could talk to him, his name is Crimson Cog Cogsward."

27. - Top - End - #327

Sandy nods. "Yeah, I heard you annoyed him. He's got a temper, but he's strong. He was assigned to repairs today, so I will try to talk to him tonight. I'll tell him some rowdy stories and turn his head with nonsense, but that might be entertaining enough for him. Today, though, I am thinking about taking a look-see at some place I haven't seen yet."

Selkie says, "I'll see if I can't use tough talk to influence a fellow rigger today."

Tramp, Sparkles, Sprawl?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

While going about his job sparkles will call over his fellow shipmate.
    "If your having any problems with another crew mate let me know, I can probably help."
    As a showing sparkles crush's a rat in his hand.
    "Blood really helps people sparkle!"
    He smiles as he continues his work.

29. - Top - End - #329

Sprawl attends to his hauling and knot work, making friendly boasts about the previous days reefclaw battle as he works.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

"It might not be a bad idea to befriend Owlbear as well, he seems pretty strong even if a bit dim." Tramp will add before turning to sandy "Let me know if you need any help, I might be able to provide a little cover for you."

Spoiler: storm switch
    Show
    FRA: switch storm veil to The Enshrouding