New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Skull & Shackles: The Wormwood Mutiny [IC]

"What kind of cover?" Sandy asks.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Tramp will grin mischievously, and lower her voice to a whisper "I can call up a fog bank that can limit visibility, and maintain it as long as I can focus, I can also turn you invisible for a short time, but that only lasts for about 15 seconds give or take"

3. - Top - End - #333

Sandy looks intrigued. "That's ... impressive."

Selkie shakes his head. "No. The crew already knows about your odd magics after the fight in berthing last week. Keep your magic hidden. If ever we should move to protect ourselves, we don't want anyone to know everything that we can do. Besides, doing something like that in the ship carries its own problems."

Selkie looks at the rest of the clique. "Same goes for the rest of us. Sandy is already known as a cleric of Besmara, and that makes her very useful to the ship, but they don't know what special blessings the Wench has given her."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Tramp will nod and shrug, "Just trying to offer what aid i can"

5. - Top - End - #335

The lot of you scatter to your individual jobs.

Sandy skylarks a lot, spending a lot of time purposefully swabbing the foredeck to get a sense of it.
    Spoiler: A1, Foredeck
    Show
    A1. Foredeck: This raised deck stands some 10' above the main deck (A3), immediately behind the bowsprit, which is shaped like a rearing dragon. The foremast rises 30 feet above this deck.
    The downside is that she wasn't really "shirking" her duties so much as spending a lot of time vigorously maintaining the foredeck, so she is fatigued at the end of the day.

Selkie does a horrible job trying to talk tough to his fellow rigger, the gnome Conchabar Turlach Shortstone, as the dapper gnome doesn't like to take guff from anyone, especially uppity Big Folk. Selkie does a good job on the mainsail, but that duty is very rigorous, and he is fatigued.

Sparkles is doing rat-catching duties with Giffer Tibbs and Rosie Cusswell. Obvi, a lot of the short folks were used for rat catching, which makes sense since shorter people can usually get into harder-to-reach places to catch rats and other vermin. Giffer is a bedraggled gnome with only one good eye, and is better than most crew members, being indifferent to Sparkles. Unfortunately, just like her gnomish counterpart above decks at the same time as this is going on, Giffer is not to be intimidated, and she is now unfriendly towards Sparkles.
    Spoiler: Sparkles
    Show
    Roll a Stealth, Survival, or DEX check as a rat catcher for today.

Sprawl is not trying to act tough, but talking a big game about the big hero he was recently. He is working with Fipps Chumlett and Shivikah in hauling rope and knot work. Fipps is already hostile to the party at large, and Sprawl knows that Shivikah - a very tall Mwanti woman who is an ex-slaver - is unfriendly, though indifferent to Tramp. He does a phenomenal job of entertaining her with his braggadoccio, as well as mentioning good things about Tramp, and now she is friendly towards Sprawl.
    Spoiler: Sprawl
    Show
    Roll a Profession (sailor) or STR check. Follow whichever of those two rolls with a CON check.

Tramp, you sneak off and skylark during your duties. Owlbear is a raging simpleton, but you confuse him with kindness. He is not your friend, but now is he unfriendly, which is better than he was before!
    Spoiler: Tramp
    Show
    Swab the decks! Roll a STR or CON check.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sprawl goes about his work.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Profession (sailor): (1d20+4)[18] Add 2 for Guile if allowed. Untrained if that matters.
    Con: (1d20+1)[5]

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Spoiler: swab the deck
    Show
    str check (1d20)[10]

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Spoiler: potentially forgotten roll
    Show
    Apologies for the double post. This roll wasn't specifically asked for but i think that was an oversite. so here's a Con check in case i supposed to roll one in addition to the STR check i already rolled.
    Con check (1d20)[13]
    if it was intentionally not asked for because its not needed then plz disregard this post.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

Thinking fondly of his time hunting back home sparkles goes about hunting rats.
    Spoiler
    Show
    using survival (1d20+9)[24]

10. - Top - End - #340

The three of you all do good at your job, though Sprawl is exhausted by shift's end.

Everyone has their meal and rum rations ... with Sprawl, Sandy, and Selkie now being exhausted. That said, everyone is more agreeable and personable than before.
    Spoiler: Rum Rations
    Show
    While it fatigues you, or exhausts you if already fatigued ... rum rations offer an alchemical bonus of 1d4 CHA. I will not put that on your sheet, and obvi you won't roll it, because it is too "gamey" to go, "Oh, look! I got a +4 tonight. Better do some influencin'."

What night actions do you all do?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

Sparkles will approach sandy and sprawl.
    "Any chance you two could help get me a holy symbol to Gozreh? I would appreciate it if you could."

12. - Top - End - #342

"How the heck would I do that?!" asks Sandy. "Besides, last thing I should do as a Besmaran is help a Gozran get their pony back. I mean, I hope you do, right? But I'm not the person to do it. Go talk with Cut-Throat and see if you can't ... wait a minute..."

And she looks at Sprawl. "Hey, there's a rumor going around. Perhaps you could talk to Cut-Throat for your buddy. Huh, huh?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #343

Sprawl chuckles. "I s'pose I could. Though might be a bit more an talking." He pauses a moment. "Ya got anythin I could sweeten the deal with? I can prolly get a good deal, but somehow I think I'll be needin more than my honeyed tongue."

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Tramp will chuckle at the exchange "Unless anyone has any better ideas, i think im making progress with owlbear, and thought i might continue working on him"

15. - Top - End - #345

Selkie, listening, simply nods, looking longingly at his hammock with no thoughts of much else.

Sprawl?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346

Sprawl sighs and gives a shrug "I guess I'll go see a lady about a symbol."

Spoiler: Plan of action
    Show

Sprawl plans to go see Cut-Throat and discuss what goods or services he could provide/acquire to help his friends out. Looking at the Holy Symbol of Gozran and the Rosie's Fiddle. He would obviously like to get them now, but he would not press to get them for free. He is more of looking at the price tag so he can keep an eye out. He would also certainly be up for some more "stress relief" if Cut-Throat is. If Cut-Throat is already asleep, he will go get some sleep.
    Last edited by Ostoril; 2022-03-04 at 12:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347

So, Sparkles doesn't really have a night action of his own, so much as "influencing" a PC to "influence" an NPC.

Unfortunately, Sprawl, Cut-Throat is someone that isn't going to be awake at this time as you find out. If you want to get her to interact, daytime. She drinks herself into a stupor, otherwise (as does Fishguts). So, that action is a bust.

That leaves Tramp and Owlbear, the former who is feeling good after the rum rations. She spends the evening talking to him, listening to him (which is horrifically difficult, but the attempt matters), and by the time she says goodnight, Owlbear has gone from unfriendly to friendly to Tramp!

DAY 13 ABOARD THE WORMWOOD

One of the reasons people were feeling more overworked yesterday is because of a heat wave, and that heat wave is fully in effect today.

Selkie is assigned lookout with the riggers today.

Sparkles and Tramp will be sent to man the bilges, which is going to be miserable in this heat.

Sandy and Sprawl will be ratcatchers today, which isn't much better.

Do you discuss anything about plans at breakfast? What are intended ship actions today? If you want, I can determine where specific sailors might be, but I am not rolling up every swabs' job.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Tramp is unfazed by the heat and extends her instinctive protections one by one to Sprawl, Sandy, Selkie and Sparkles as they arrive. "I think I'm making good progress with Owlbear" she reports happily
    Last edited by Master K; 2022-03-05 at 04:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349

It's already a muggy morning, and Selkie nods in gratitude (a rare gesture of magnanimity).

"Hey, thanks, sister!" says Sandy much more spryly. "I feel better already. So, I was thinking about checking out the poop deck today. Haven't been up there yet. I seen a body in a cage, but people don't talk about who it was."

Selkie mutters. "I tried to tough-talk Conchabar, yesterday. Miserable failure. On one of my breaks as a lookout, I'll try and chat up another rigger."

So, what ship actions will the three of you attempt today?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350

"Aye, thank ya. I wish ya all luck today an hope ya avoid any trouble. I'll attempt ta swing by an see Cut-Throat today. She heads to bed early n less she got plans."

Spoiler: Todays actions
    Show

Attempt to find some time during work to slip by and see Cut-Throat and discuss what goods or services he could provide/acquire to help his friends out. Looking at the Holy Symbol of Gozran and the Rosie's Fiddle. He would obviously like to get them now, but he would not press to get them for free (will totally accept a gift if offered though). He is more of looking at the price tag so he can keep an eye out. He would also certainly be up for some more "stress relief" after hours if Cut-Throat is. He would also inquire as to how often he gets paid so he can start to buy things or gamble.
    Last edited by Ostoril; 2022-03-07 at 11:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Orc in the Playground

Sparkles will focus on his work for the day.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

"Someone in a cage you say? that sounds intriguing, if you don't mind the company i think i might go with you. Perhaps between the two of us we can figure out, who they are and/or why they're locked up."
    Last edited by Master K; 2022-03-07 at 04:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353

Sprawl, you and Sandy will have to be sure not to faff off at the same time while ratcatching with the other two or three swabs you're likely working with. Sandy will let you do what you need to do first, as there is no telling when Cut-Throat will be drunk.

Sprawl heads to the QM store. Cut-Throat stops Sprawl cold when it comes to recovering Sparkles' gear (or any portion), stating that everything in the Quartermaster's store is the captain's booty. When a new swab is "recruited" aboard, only the captain can decide to gift that "beginning gear" to someone, like he did with Selkie. There is no way she will give that stuff out, not even for bribery, unless she wants to be keelhauled herself.Other things which end up in her store, however, are a different matter. That is all that Sprawl will learn before it's back to ratcatching for him.
    Spoiler: Sprawl
    Show
    Roll a Stealth, Survival, or DEX check.

Sparkles, you work hard at manning the bilges, and having Tramp's strange protections makes this ... while still a nasty job ... much more tolerable one.
    Spoiler: Sparkles
    Show
    Roll a STR check w/ a +4 bonus. Then, roll a CON check (no bonus).

Tramp and Sandy, meet up at some relatively random appointed time to go explore the poop deck, but they don't get far. Captain Harrigan and Mr. Plugg spend most of their time on this deck. When the captain is on deck, the poop deck is off-limits to everyone but officers. So if you want to explore the poop deck and check out the dead guy in the cage (and there seems to be a bird there as well), you'll have to do it after hours.
    Spoiler: Tramp
    Show
    Roll a STR check w/ a -2 penalty. Then, roll a CON check, also w/ a -2 penalty.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Str(1d20-2)[1]
    Con(1d20-2)[14]

25. - Top - End - #355

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[28] Add 2 for a use of Guile if allowed.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

Sparkles works hard manning the bilge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[27]

27. - Top - End - #357

Tramp didn't do that great at ratcatching today, though she didn't wear herself out, either. In fact, she very likely was trying to hard and knocked things over and made a mess.

Come the Bloody Hour after the shift, Tramp is called up for three lashes for terrible performance at her job.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

After the bloody hour sparkles will approach tramp.
    "Want me to take a look at those wounds? I'm not much use at talking with others but I am confident in healing wounds."

29. - Top - End - #359

Tramp, Sprawl? Anything to do or say before the punishment?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360

Sprawl winces remembering his time under the lash.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

Sprawl does nothing to interfere.