New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Skull & Shackles: The Wormwood Mutiny [IC]

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[15] first move (1d20+9)[16] 2nd move.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Doing her best to ignore everyone else, Arashi pushes upward focusing on putting one foot above another and not losing her balance.

Spoiler: up up and away
    Show
    Double MA; Continue climbing, 1 (1d20+5)[15] 2 (1d20+5)[19]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Drack chuckles to himself at the displays of the other kidnapped crew. They didn't appear to be a very professional outfit, but that served him so much the better for now. He just keeps trying to put one foot in front of the other, he didn't need to excel here, just avoid making a fool of himself
    Spoiler
    Show
    MA+SA into MA climb [roll0] [roll1]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Round Round 2 ...

The white-haired elf does a double-accelerated climb, ascending another 30' for a 45' altitude.

Drack chuckles to himself at the displays of the other kidnapped crew. They didn't appear to be a very professional outfit, but that served him so much the better for now. He just keeps trying to put one foot in front of the other, he didn't need to excel here, just avoid making a fool of himself. He climbs another 5' just fine, but then has a little trouble.

After a quick glance down at the commotion, Vanora rolls her eyes and focuses on climbing, muttering in halfling about people that need all the attention. She continues to climb, hoping the distraction will work in her favor. She really picks up speed, ascending a total of 20'!

Squall looks really flustered almost angry, but he mutters in his native tongue the words for "Thank you." More deliberately this time, he grasps the ropes and begins to climb, ascending a total of 10'.

Doing her best to ignore everyone else, Arashi pushes upward, focusing on putting one foot above another and not losing her balance. She steadily climbs 10'.

"They's chased me through tha' streets of Port Peril and I's thought that tha' best way ta' escape harm was a daring climb..." Irstan continues as he does his best to scramble up the rigging. He scrambles quickly a total of 20'.

Sima is unswayed by the hollering of the sailors or the looks of the cleric and continues his slow ascent. He steadily climbs a total of 10'.

The Besmaran cleric shrugs and says, "Well, if I can't put my arms in front of me because of the girls..." and she then puts her back to the rigging ladder. She bends down to a sitting position as if there were a chair ... "for leverage, mind you" ... and then langurously reaches her arms up and back to catch the rope, which of course only stretches the fabric in certain places to even more readily reveal/ not-reveal what is hidden by it. Having "trouble" climbing this way, she then arches her back and thrusts forward her ... forward.

Some of the sailors just don't seem to be as much into the betting, but for the most part the Besmaran is encouraged, catcalled, and still there are shouts for the three "crowd favorites" emerging --- Selkie, Dolly, and Sprawl --- whomever they may be.

White-haired man is @ 45'. Vanora is @ 30'. Irstan @ 25'. Arashi and Sima are at 15'. Drack and Squall @ 10'.

Okay, new round of climbing!
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-09-02 at 02:46 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Vanora continues to climb as fast as she can hoping that something will happen to the white haired man allowing her to catch up.

Spoiler: Climb
    Show
    Double accelerated climb (1d20+12)[30] (1d20+12)[29]

6. - Top - End - #36

Irstan continued his story and his climb. "And daring it was, scurrin' up a rope like a rat in a flood. An' I was almost ta tha top when..."
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    [Free] Continue story
    [Move] Accelerated Climb. Climb: (1d20+4)[8]
    [Standard] Accelerated Climb. Climb: (1d20+4)[6]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Squall keeps up his deliberate climb, trying to get used to the sway of the rigging.

Spoiler: movin' on up
    Show
    Double move, standard climbs
    climb 1: (1d20+8)[28]
    climb 2: (1d20+8)[17]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Sima continues his climb. "I hope this isn't what we have to do every morning."

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action climb (1d20+9)[17]
    Move action climb Standard action (1d20+9)[27]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Shaking her head at the growing gap between her and the white haired man and knowing that she stands little to no chance at catching up let alone overtaking. Letting out a sigh, Arashi keeps climbing at a steady pace not wanting to waste energy on rushing and risk falling in the process. though keeping in mind her ever increasing elevation she does make sure to have precautions in place should she or one of the other more vertically adept individuals manage to lose their hold on the rigging.

Spoiler: Roll Roll Roll the dice
    Show
    MA+SA; Climb higher into the rigging. 1- (1d20+5)[24] 2-(1d20+5)[18]
    IA; in the event of her or someone else falling Arashi will use her storm power Floating Breeze to cast Feather Fall as a SLA (concentration check)(1d20+6)[14]

10. - Top - End - #40

Begin Round 3 ...

Without missing a beat, the white-haired man zooms to the top of the crow's nest first, winning the event.

Contest Ends ...

With no clock to worry about, when the bell rings and Mister Plugg yells, everyone carefully makes their way back down to the main deck, and the bettors pay or receive based upon whom they favored. Selkie is what they call the white-haired man; Dolly is what they call the blonde halfling; and Sprawl is the man who was telling a story as he went up.

Mister Plugg looks at the white-haired elf. "Well, the crew has dubbed you 'Selkie,' and if you swim half as well as you climb, it makes sense. You're now a rigger, and you work directly for me. Stand over with that lot over there."

Selkie goes over to a lanky looking lot.

"The rest a'you, line up! .... No, not one behind another, damn it! .... Side-by-side, you sea slugs!"

He looks at the line of recruits and goes to the end. The first one in line was Dolly.

"They say halflings are good cooks. Can you cook .... Dolly?"

Dolly (the halfling formerly known as Vanora), what do you say?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

‘Dolly’ pauses for a moment, adjusting to the name then snaps back to answer. Her demeanor is submissive, looking at him but not making eye contact.
    “Well, I never really have cooked before, but I will do my best to learn if that’s what you assign me to, Sir!”
    Show
    FA: assess the man speaking to her
    FA: speak. If I recall correctly, you roll social skills, she is aiming to be diplomatic.
    Readied action to go where told/follow directions

12. - Top - End - #42

Mr. Plugg looks over Dolly's head. Dolly feels her back sting for 8 nonlethal (NL) before she even hears the snap of the whip.

Mr. Plugg holds her jaw in place for her to look at him, not behind her at who whipped her. "The only correct answers are ... Yes, sir .... or .. no, sir."

Releasing her he goes to the next in line (Squall). "Can you cook?"

Squall, how do you answer?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

ElfRogueGirl

Squall replies "I cannot"

14. - Top - End - #44

Mister Plugg looks up at Squall, as the elf is a half-foot taller than the first mate. "You cannot .... what?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

ElfRogueGirl

Squall looking straight ahead

"I cannot cook....."

Lowering his gaze to meet Mister Plugg's

".......Sir."

16. - Top - End - #46

The two have something of a staring contest, before Mister Plugg breaks contact first from those pools of blackness that are Squall's eyes and goes to a female recruit (Arashi).

"Can you cook?"

Arashi, how do you answer?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Standing up straight, Arashi shakes her head slightly in the negative, "No I can not Sir"

18. - Top - End - #48

The next person in line ... causes Mister Plugg to look down at, though not nearly as much as Dolly. He looks at the gray-skinned, blue-crystal-chested creature (Sima).

"What about you, rock-runt? Can you cook?"

Sima, how do you answer?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Sima looks up at the man and raises an eyebrow at the runt remark, visibly upset grits his teeth.
    "No sir, I'm not a cook."

20. - Top - End - #50

"Hm. Even your teeth are sparkly," says Mister Plugg.

"Yeah, call him Sparkles!" calls a member of the crew, and then a whole chorus of sailors chime in with that.

Mister Plugg gives a rare chuckle, if only because he sees how the oread's toothy grin may have worked against any machismo he ever held for himself. "Sparkles it is."

He moves to the next in line. "You? Can you cook?"

"No, sir," says the dark-red-haired woman, "but I know how to heat a man -or woman - up properly."

Catcalls, whistles, and all that you can imagine as such from that. Mister Plugg licks his lips with a rare - and dangerous - smile, and continues on down the line.

Next, he faces the reptilian-looking guy with the satchel. Mister Plugg looks down at the satchel, and doesn't say anything. He just moves on to the last in line ... he one they call Sprawl. "Can you cook?"

Sprawl, how do you answer?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

Irstan smiles and half shrugs. "Sir! I'm no chef, but I probably won't give anyone food poisoning. Sir!"
    Show
    [Free] Speak

22. - Top - End - #52

"That's a 'no', then," he says absent-mindedly as he steps back to the previous, unspoken-to candidate.

Mister Plugg gives Drack a long look, while he does, there are all sorts of side comments from other sailors. "What is he?" "Dunno, but he'd make a swell pair of shoes." "Or a handbag." "Wait he's holding a handbag." Yeah, a handbag holding a handbag!" Laughter from the final.

"Well, Handbag? Can you cook?" asks Mister Plugg of the sailor formerly known as Drack.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

OldWizardGuy

Drack glares at the man who gives him the nickname "no sir, though I am an alchemist. if you like I could show you how to make leather from mammal skin too" he says with a too wide smirk

24. - Top - End - #54

Mister Plugg looks at Drack's girth and says, "You're about the fattest lizardfolk I've ever seen. That means you like food. Congratulations, you're a cook's mate now, Handbag. Report to Fishguts in the galley. Rosie Cusswell!"

"Yassir!" pipes up a brunette hafling female.

"Show Handbag to the galley so he can report to Fishguts."

"Right away, sir!"
    And the halfling looks up at the victim-formerly-known-as-Drack and says, "C'mon, Handbag. I envy you. You get to be near the food before Fishguts destroys it and turns it all to s*&#."

She will lead Handbag away to the galley.

Mister Plugg looks at the remaining lot of recruits. "The rest of you are swabs, and you work for Master Scourge, the Wormwood's master-at-arms. Master Scourge, they're all yours!" and with that he walks away to assign jobs to the riggers.

Master Scourge is the Wormwood’s boatswain and master-at-arms, and Mr. Plugg’s right-hand man. As boatswain, he is in charge of all activities and sailors on deck, and as master-at-arms, he is responsible for discipline. Master Scourge is a sneering man with a braided beard and a mouth full of gold teeth. His body is tall (6' 1") and thin, and even his long coat and heavy boots fail to give any impression of strength or bulk. He calls out, "You grabasstic pieces of whale s*&% stay right where you are!"

He walks up and down the line of recruits. "Today is a great day for you. It is your rebirth. It is the day you die as a worthless, plank thumping landlubber. If you think you were a sailor before, you weren't a real sailor. You cut water like a meat tenderizer in a bathtub. You are worthless scum that isn't fit to socialize with a barnacle. But today is the day you can begin to change that. Today is the day that I and your fellow sailors will begin to teach you what it is to be a real sailor ...a gods-damned, steely-eyed killer of the seas ... a Shackles pirate!"

He continues to stroll the line. "So let's see ... we have Dolly, Sparkles, and Sprawl. Handbag and Selkie are already assigned their jobs. We still have to baptize a few of you others."

He stops in front of the red-bobbed woman with a curiously happy expression. He looks about, "Looks like this one is happy she died. We did her a goddamn service taking her from the slavery of landbound drudgery. Isn't that right, swabbee?"

Arashi, how do you respond?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-09-09 at 12:59 AM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Arashi shrugs, but speaks confidently, "I left home to find my own adventures, this seems as good a place to start as any," continuing to smile contentedly

26. - Top - End - #56

"So, you're homeless, then, eh?" says Master Scourge, loud enough for the cleverer sailors to come up with interesting names.

"Hobo!" "Vagrant!" Transient!" "Tramp!"

"THAT'S the one!" says an excited Master Scourge. "Welcome aboard, Tramp."

He then comes down the line to the buxom lass with the randy ways. "Okay, Floats," he says, listening, only to find out his own attempt has fallen flat with maybe one or two polite chuckles. Master Scourge recovers from that fail quickly, "where do you call home?"

"I was born at sea, and spent my whole life on one ship or another, as fitting for a cleric of Besmara and a grand-daughter of Captain Quinn of the Fearful Strumpet."

There are some oohs and aahs, as it seems there must be some local legend behind the name. Even Master Scourge, a miserable sot, seems impressed. "What's your name, missie?"

"Sandara Quinn, Master."

"Well, you gotta earn the last name, so until you show yourself an ABS here, we're gonna call you Sandy. You like that name, don't you?" he says, gearing up with a little bit of menace, but having some trouble.

"Yes, Master. Permission to fall out to perform swabbee duties, Master?"

He nods. "Fall out to the capstan. I will talk to you in a few minutes."

Finally, he comes to the dark-eyed elf (Squall). "Out with it, pointy. Where you from in two sentences or less."

Squall, how do you answer?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-09-12 at 11:49 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

ElfRogueGirl

Squall looks off into the horizon and in a slow cadence says.

"I am of the Ekujae of the expanse, the trees are my home, but the sea.... she calls to me."

28. - Top - End - #58

The sailors all laugh at Squall as he tries to nobly impart his story.

"Feh," says Master Scourge. "You look like somebody upended a vegetarian dish all over you." (gets some laughs)

"Kale!" "Iceberg!" "Chard!" "Tossed Salad!"

And that is how Squall's name came to be Tossed Salad.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler: Cook's Mate Handbag
    Show
    Handbag, it is kind of interesting that for a humanoid that has reptilian features, the first task Ambrose "Fishguts" Kroop has you do is Turtle Hunting .... hunting leatherback sea turtles with harpoons, treble hooks, and nets. Please roll a single Profession (fisherman) or Survival check, your choice. Note that you cannot get higher than a DC 10 w/ Profession (fisherman).

Swabbee Jobs Assigned ...

Dolly and Tossed Saladl ... Man the bilges! Vile and sweaty work cleaning out the bilges, requiring a STR check. You also need to make a CON check to avoid being fatigued at the end of the shift.

Sandy, Sparkles, and Sprawl ... Runner! Passing messages to the crew and officers of the Wormwood in all parts of the ship except officers’ cabins (areas A4 and A5), requiring an Acrobatics check and a CON check. Failing the CON check results in the PC being fatigued at the end of the shift. A PC with the Run feat automatically succeeds at this task.

Tramp ... Hauling Rope and Knot Work! Tying and untying knots in the ship’s ropes and moving heavy coils of rope from one part of the ship to another, requiring a Profession (sailor) or STR check (your choice. You must also make a CON check to avoid being fatigued at the end of the shift.

All rolls must be made in spoilers here on Giants .. NOT in Discord.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-09-12 at 10:18 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Sprawl, as he is now known, makes his way about the ship handing off messages, taking every precious few moments he can to try to learn more about his new 'coworkers'.
    Show

Assessment: Attempt to learn who is friendly enough to socialize with and who to avoid.
    Acrobatics Check: (1d20+10)[17]
    Constitution Check: (1d20+1)[12]