New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bravo Crew [IC]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Bravo Crew [IC]

OOC Thread

Gentle waves rocked the Rocinante back and forth as it made its way south on a steady breeze. Captain Grennel exhaled a sigh of relief; that blockade should be the last they had to sail through on the way to Reln’s port capital of Badon and the empire would bother them no more. A light rain began to fall on the sun-bleached deck as the crew worked lazily to trim the sails.

You find yourselves crammed into a small makeshift room inside a dingy ship, a wall of crates blocking your vision to the remainder of the ship’s hold. While you have spent several hours together, you were warned to keep quiet until the ship had cleared the last of the empire’s checkpoints.

The sound of crashing waves and the squabbling of a table of sailors gambling were all that you could hear for most of the journey thus far. The most recent boarding party asked many of the same questions as those before, with the sailors silent and Captain Grennel politely answering. They didn’t bother moving any of the boxes and barrels to find the hidden compartment with its two stowaways, whether out of laziness or the slip of gold from the captain you couldn’t be sure.

Shortly after hearing the last stomping of heavy metal boots above you, the makeshift wall of crates is moved one by one, slowly revealing a table of sailors playing dice on the other side. “Cap’n says ye’re free te move about the ‘old o’ the ship till we reach Badon. If we ‘it any more blockades ye’ll need te ‘urry back ‘ere so we can box ye back in” a gruff-looking sailor says to you in a thick accent.

Looking out from behind the crates you can see the remainder of the hold. The dim flicker of candlelight and sunlight pouring through a steel grate above reveal numerous boxes and barrels throughout. Hammocks hang loosely on the walls, some occupied and others empty. A table immediately in front of you seats several sailors, drinking and enjoying dice games. Some of them cast cursory glances your way but quickly turn their attention back to their game.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2021-08-25 at 10:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Bravo Crew [IC]

I smoothly stand and slide out from our hidey-hole, stretching my legs to the even rolling of the ship. I eyeball the dice games, my fingers twitching to the worn leather of the dice bag strapped to my belt, but don't move to take out the whale bone dice. Instead I turn to my tiefling companion and offer my hand to help steady her on the rocking floor.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I gratefully take the help; rising unsteadily to my feet. Needing anything to take my mind off my rolling stomach, I attempt small talk. Noting her sure footedness I say, "You don't look out of place at all. Spending time at sea isn't anything new to you then?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe shrugs her shoulders and replies "I was born at sea, and I've spent most of my life sailing on the water." She squints in the dim light, noting the queasy look on the Tiefling's face. "Here, follow me. We should probably avoid going above deck until we're a little further out at sea, but we can get a semblance of fresh air nearer the stairs."

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

The unmistakable scent of fresh sea air hit your noses as you approach the stairs, a good change from the stilted air that occupied the storage area you were previously in.

A burly half-orc sits on a crate near the stairs, wearing a dirty white bandana and sleeveless leather armor. His face turns toward the party as you approach. A deep gash crosses from the top of his forehead, under an eyepatch, and through his thick beard down to nearly the tip of his chin. He bites off a chuck of jerky he holds in one hand and follows it with a sip of something from a cup. With the hand holding the jerky he motions toward two open barrels next to him. "Got plenty of food if ye're hungry and grog to wash it down" he states dryly. After a brief pause he asks "so what're ye heading to Badon fer? Take it yer not registered as sailors with the empire or it wouldn't be worth the trouble te hide ye..."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Misri states, "I'm wanting to do research on something I read about in a book", but doesn't seem inclined to go into more detail than that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe leans over to peer inside the barrel, and picks a small piece of jerky to nibble on. "I'm hopping to meet with old business contacts in Badon. Maybe make some new ones."

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    Misri states, "I'm wanting to do research on something I read about in a book", but doesn't seem inclined to go into more detail than that.
    "Research, eh? Take it yer headed to library in Wealdstone. Dunno much about it, just that the guy that runs it can be a bit...strange..." the half-orc trails off. "But I guess thats how the wizard-folk can be. Either crazy smart or just crazy..."

Quote Originally Posted by TavaCatel View Post
    Rythe leans over to peer inside the barrel, and picks a small piece of jerky to nibble on. "I'm hopping to meet with old business contacts in Badon. Maybe make some new ones."
    The half-orc sizes Rythe up before replying "Ye seem like ye can handle yerself. If ye're inclined te make some money guarding merchants around Reln then ye can make a decent livin. In fact, some o' the goods on board are bound to be makin' way out o' the city. Sure we can put in a good word for ye if ye need."

The ship continues to rock steadily as it sails towards its destination. On the deck above you can hear the distant yell of "Land, ho!" and a sudden burst of commotion among sailors. "Sounds like we're almost at Badon" says the half-orc. "Always surprises me just how short the journey is from Bainmar Island. Much longer journey to the empire but somehow they're the ones with all their ships around the island."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Misri grabs a piece of jerky to save for when her stomach can handle food and makes her way up to the deck. As they approach the docks she pulls her hood up to protect herself from the biting mist that sprays up from the waves. She shape of the hood is slightly distorted from the two horns that protrude from her head and gently curve back.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe stands and nods at the orc, replying "I may take your advice if my plans fall through, but I don't plan on staying long. Thanks." She stands and stuffs the last of the jerky in her mouth, slipping the orc 5 copper coins as she passes by. She buttons up her long coat and flips up the collar too keep her clothes dry, but closes her solid black eyes and relishes the feel of water on her face. Even as the mist soaks her short blue hair, it starts to float and undulate as if underwater, revealing a barely healed scar marring right side of her head and cutting the tip of her webbed ear off.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Misri turns to Rythe; "So you've been here before? Is there somewhere you would suggest for lodging?"

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

The helf-orc nods as he takes the copper from Rythe. "Any time" he replies.

Standing on the deck you see the massive city of Badon. Tall towers reach up to the sky, connected by wide terraces at varying heights as if forming a dense labyrinth of web. As many of the towers reach up from the water as from the land, waves crashing against their unmoving presence.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

"I've been through this port a few times in my life, yeah. But, it depends on what your definition of lodging is. Want somewhere cushy a nice with room service and meals, you'll be on your own. But if you want somewhere quiet and secluded, without nosey guards and other unwanted eyes, I know a few places. As long as you don't mind the rats," Rythe tosses over her shoulder with a smirk as she leans disturbingly far over to the rails to watch the water froth and mist around the hull.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"The quiet suits me just fine," Misri replies with a soft smile. She hangs significantly further back from the edge of the deck than her counterpart. After a short pause, "If you don't mind the company and if you're headed there now, I can just follow you to wherever you plan on staying. Perhaps we can have a small legion of rats tamed to do our bidding by nights end", she jests.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Bursting out in laughter and flashing her sharp teeth, Rythe steps back from the rail. She pats Misri on the shoulder, still chuckling. "Now that would be a sight to see! I knew a guy with a pet rat once. Could have it jump through a hoop and dance for a morsel of cheese or bread."

Rythe eyeballs the sun peaking through the skies, and sighs as her laugher ends. "It'll be too late to conduct legitimate business by the time we dock, so we may as well go straight to our 'lodgings'. Just be sure to tuck away your coin purse and valuables now and keep a keen eye out for sticky fingers. Though I think they would hesitate to steal from a tiefling." She tugs her bag higher onto her shoulders and adjusts the straps.

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

The Rocinante reaches port shortly before the sun begins to set. Wooden docks reach out from the bases of several of the larger towers like spokes on a wheel, with additional docking built out from the sheer cliff faces on top of which the other half of the city is built. As you leave the ship, Captain Grennel, a sturdier-than-normal elf with a shaved head, bids you farewell. "Safely delivered, as promised" he says with a smooth natural charm. "If ever you need passage back to Bainmar or somewhere in the empire be sure to seek me out."

As the sun sets, numerous lanterns hanging within the towers and along the arching terraces spring to life, dousing the bustling city in a soft orange-yellow glow. As you make your way to the safehouse you pass numerous shops and residences, many with their lanterns extinguished to show closure of business or desire to not be disturbed. You make your way through several spires, moving up and down as necessary to navigate the strange layout of the city.

Eventually, you make your way to one of the inner towers and begin your descent several floors to the lowest reaches. You hear the movement of water when near the walls and can see through the windows along the tower's perimeter that you have gone below the surface of the harbor. The hustle and bustle of the busy city above becomes distant and is replaced by an eerie silence. Each level is strewn with crates filled with water-logged, discarded goods that form makeshift alleyways.

Before you stands the door to the safehouse. Rythe taps on the door with a well-practiced knock signaling the presence of a friend and, after a moment, a slide on the door opens and reveals a pair of eyes. The eyes study you for just a moment before going wide, followed by the quick slamming of the slide and the opening of several locks before the door swings open to reveal a blue dragonborn with a large smile on his face. "Rythe?! We heard you was dead?!" he exclaims wildly.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe steps inside, casually running one hand through her messy curls to conceal the scar, while waving at her companion with the other. "She's with me. And obviously, I'm not dead. Who made that claim, anyway?"

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Rythe steps inside, casually running one hand through her messy curls to conceal the scar, while waving at her companion with the other. "She's with me. And obviously, I'm not dead. Who made that claim, anyway?"
    "Well, I, erm...People been saying they ain't seen you in a while, after, uh, they said you was tossed off your ship..." he stammers as his gaze falls to the floor. He perks up and says "But I'm glad its not true! Where are my manners, you're always welcome at Dezzel's place!" as he opens the door wider and invites you in. The room is a large globe with a flat floor, with several other doorways leading to rooms and stacks of well-kept boxes laying about. "Er, dont mind the mess. Been busy as always, of course."

Perhaps the most notable feature of this room is the wall of water on the far end, held at bay by a dim but glimmering white light. Rythe recognizes this as the means by which goods are smuggled on to the ships in the harbor above without being noticed by the dock wardens.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe hums and nods her thanks, stepping further into the room. "Good to know that the Business is still thriving here. Heard anything about how things are running in the North? Anything from Korinth, or his contacts?" She stares hard at the dragonborn while she says this, and ticks her head subtly at her companion before shaking her head slowly.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Misri, catching the small gesture, wanders over to the wall of water and makes a show of examining the magic used there in order to give the other two privacy. While she never had cause to partake in activities not quite aligned with the law, she wasn't unaware of their occurrence. Her mother Selene, while no longer needing to pilfer people's pockets, had made sure not to lose practice in the art and would practice whenever they went to town....or when a client of her husband's slighted her in some way. Besides that, Misri really didn't care what people did on their own time so long is it never negatively impacted her.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Rythe hums and nods her thanks, stepping further into the room. "Good to know that the Business is still thriving here. Heard anything about how things are running in the North? Anything from Korinth, or his contacts?" She stares hard at the dragonborn while she says this, and ticks her head subtly at her companion before shaking her head slowly.
    "K-Korinth?" Dezzel nervously stammers. "N-No, haven't heard anything about him...His contacts in Reln and Sen'hara pretty much cut him off after, well, after everything happened between you..."

Dezzel seems eager to change the subject. "Hey, if, uh, if you and your friend want to make some money Aluaris was looking for someone to clean up down a few floors. Somethings been destroying some of the stores down there and she wants it gone. She gave me some gold to take care of it, but, well, I'm pretty busy here..."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Relax, Dezzel. Just putting out feelers, making sure he's not looking to dip his toes back in the Business," she says wryly. Turning to Misri, she calls, "Hey, want to make some money before burying yourself in research?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Misri, having become fully engrossed in interacting with a small fish that was suspended just within the wall of water, slightly started at her name being called. She considered the proposition for a second, not sure if she would be agreeing to illegal activities having not heard the details. After realizing she didn't care and had nothing else going on, she shrugged and called back "Sure! I believe you promised me rats, anyway!"

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

"Haha, yeah...rats..." Dezzel says, nervously. "Some of the sacks down there look like they've been gnawed at and some of the food taken. But the crates...they were pried open. Strange, since nothing has really come by recently and the tunnels farther down are supposed to be closed off..." After clearing his throat he adds "whatever it is, be careful down there. The store room is another two floors down, you can use this key to get into the room."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe picks the key from his fingers and tucks it away in her coat pocket. "We'll be careful, Dezzel. Strange creatures slither out of the dark waters here, despite the hunters guild's best efforts."

Grabbing her bag of the stack of crates, she strides back out of the safehouse. In the hallway she pauses and bunches her long coat behind her back and ties it back with a leather cord. Finished, she grins at Misri and bounces her eyebrows playfully. "Ready for this?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Misri gives a half shrug as her tail slowly weaves back and forth behind her. "Let's do this. I'm assuming you have some manner of pointy stick? I'm more a 'keep my distance and blast from afar' type of person. I'll do my best not to aim too close to you," she adds with a wink.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe pats the hilts of her pair of scimitars on her hips and says, "Yep. I've got these two short pointy sticks." She adjusts her coat again, pushing the spear further up her back into arms reach.. "And I've got this long pointy stick, too."

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

The party makes their way to the lowest levels of the tower, eventually coming to a set of stairs curving down into darkness. You can barely make out an iron-bound wooden door at the bottom of the stairs, a large padlock hanging from its latch. It appears that the magical lanterns that hang around much of the city go no further down.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Rythe squints into the darkness and turns to Misri. "Well, your not going to have any issue seeing from here on out, being a Tiefling and all, but I'm gonna need a light. I have a torch in by backpack, unless you got another idea. You think we could try removing one of these magic lights and take it with us?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Misri slightly squints while examining the lights. "We might as well take the magic ones to save supplies. I don't think we can pull the lanterns off the wall, so we'll just have to carry the orbs." After having to work the rusty door to the lantern back and forth a few times, it finally gives. She reaches in and scoops up the little bright light. "I'll bring one, too, so you can see where I am and what's around me".