New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Aurora

1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aurora

My bad, I thought Tynan was in the habit of completely destroying cities, which would if I understand how it works correctly, kill the associated gods, or at least reduce them to almost nothing, but his thing is actually feeding on the fear of the survivors. So I guess he could have ravaged Zuurith way back when before meeting Vash.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

So I'm either late to this realization or early to it, because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but the black voice from the start of the comic is absolutely the Void Dragon, directing the creation of a race with elemental affinity so it can engineer its freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    So I'm either late to this realization or early to it, because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but the black voice from the start of the comic is absolutely the Void Dragon, directing the creation of a race with elemental affinity so it can engineer its freedom.
    Well, I'm not sure anyone besides the reader can hear him in this scene, but otherwise yes.
    Forum Wisdom

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    My bad, I thought Tynan was in the habit of completely destroying cities, which would if I understand how it works correctly, kill the associated gods, or at least reduce them to almost nothing, but his thing is actually feeding on the fear of the survivors. So I guess he could have ravaged Zuurith way back when before meeting Vash.
    The way I understand it (mostly based on what Ilia said to Kendal and how the Collector explained the reason why she had to destroy Vash (the city) before she could capture Vash( the god)'s soul) destroying the locus/physical domain of a god is not lethal in itself, and nor does it drastically reduce their potential on the short run (as demonstrated in the first chapter). Tynan's comment implies it would have long term consequences, but I'm not sure it's ever been established that a god cannot acquire a new domain/rebuild the old one in case it gets destroyed.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, come on Zuurith, you were just begging for that reply.
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I've been thinking about this, and I suspect it means the that the interference was a deliberate maneuver by the Light Dragon to stymie him (see her champion for energy color comparison).

Further, I speculate that it means the Eighth Element is soul, and that it's not readily workable by mages because it is under the control of an active primordial.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    I've been thinking about this, and I suspect it means the that the interference was a deliberate maneuver by the Light Dragon to stymie him (see her champion for energy color comparison).

Further, I speculate that it means the Eighth Element is soul, and that it's not readily workable by mages because it is under the control of an active primordial.
    Yeah I've been assuming/theorizing that the reason the 8th element can't be detected is because, unlike the other 7, its primordial isn't bound into the foundations of the universe, neither as part of those foundations like the main six nor imprisoned in them like the Void Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

I think Zurith is learning the reason why other gods design their bodies to act without their precise control. You don't get a very resilient system if you have to micromanage everything yourself all the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    I think Zurith is learning the reason why other gods design their bodies to act without their precise control. You don't get a very resilient system if you have to micromanage everything yourself all the time...
    Did you mean "cities" instead of "bodies"? Because if so, I think the city gods are supposed to be reflections of the general outlook of the city's inhabitants, which means that Zuurith is the way he is because that's the way the Zuurithians at large think the guy in charge ought to be. Of course, as unquestionned leaders of their cities, the gods have a vast ability to shape what that city is like, so you end up with an egg-chicken issue. Are the Zuurithians like that because of Zuurith or is Zuurith like that because of them? Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy/vicious (or virtuous depending) cycle situation.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Did you mean "cities" instead of "bodies"? Because if so, I think the city gods are supposed to be reflections of the general outlook of the city's inhabitants, which means that Zuurith is the way he is because that's the way the Zuurithians at large think the guy in charge ought to be. Of course, as unquestionned leaders of their cities, the gods have a vast ability to shape what that city is like, so you end up with an egg-chicken issue. Are the Zuurithians like that because of Zuurith or is Zuurith like that because of them? Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy/vicious (or virtuous depending) cycle situation.
    Nope I meant bodies, Zurith referenced it here. https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-25/

The avatars they inhabit are designed by the gods and designing an avatar where everything is manually run isn't an efficient one.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Nope I meant bodies, Zurith referenced it here. https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-25/

The avatars they inhabit are designed by the gods and designing an avatar where everything is manually run isn't an efficient one.
    Oh okay.
    I don't think that would have made a big difference, bit who knows, maybe Zuurith will come back with an upgrade.

Anyhoo, for today's comic:
    Spoiler: Tynan be like
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Hahaha okay I did not expect Alinua to take that approach. That last panel is great, looks like Life is willing to assist here as well going by the glowing eyes

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: New page
    Show
    For a god of smithing, this guy is very chill.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-02-28 at 03:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Somebody just slap this jerk, please and thank you.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's kinda depressing when you expect nothing from people and they still manage to disappoint you.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

I smell a new party member!
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure about that, I expect her to be a recurring semi antagonist. I don't think the Paladins will just let Erin walk around freely instead of just killing them outright. She will probably be the sympathetic point of view character for the paladins. IMO anyway

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Not sure about that, I expect her to be a recurring semi antagonist. I don't think the Paladins will just let Erin walk around freely instead of just killing them outright. She will probably be the sympathetic point of view character for the paladins. IMO anyway
    Nah, I agree with Fyraltari; the conveniently-portable version of the archives is (I would guess) how the main gang is going to be able to continue researching the truth about things. Unless they steal it outright (which yeah, would make them pretty implacable enemies) the crew is getting another member.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

The paladins that just sealed themselves from the outside world for an indefinite amount of time?

No I think the flying champion will be the antagonistic one, trying to off the Void Dragon/Erin.

Also, it's detail but I think it'd be noce for her to join because with her and Tess, the party becomes gender-balanced instead of male-dominated like around 90% of fantasy.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #80

The paladins that just sealed themselves from the outside world for an indefinite amount of time?
    Nah, all the other paladins from the same continent that are doing their best to converge on Erin as we speak.

That said, I also expect the Junior Archivist to join the party sooner than later. That it would make for glorious and novel intra-party conflict is really a fetaure, rather than a bug.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-03-28 at 08:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No I think the flying champion will be the antagonistic one, trying to off the Void Dragon/Erin.

Also, it's detail but I think it'd be noce for her to join because with her and Tess, the party becomes gender-balanced instead of male-dominated like around 90% of fantasy.
    I find it unlikely that this arc doesn't also end with Dainix joining the party, which would place the party's overall gender ratio at 4 men and 3 women.

The ratio of hair length, on the other hand, will remain overwhelmingly balanced in favor of long hair.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    I find it unlikely that this arc doesn't also end with Dainix joining the party, which would place the party's overall gender ratio at 4 men and 3 women.

The ratio of hair length, on the other hand, will remain overwhelmingly balanced in favor of long hair.
    Oh right, I keep forgetting about Dainix.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Tynan does not handle being not treated seriously well. Especially by someone he expects should be terrified.

I wonder if the blade's reaction is due to the property of the sword or Vash channeling more of his power into the blade through his link with Kendal (The person not the sword).

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Tynan does not handle being not treated seriously well. Especially by someone he expects should be terrified.

I wonder if the blade's reaction is due to the property of the sword or Vash channeling more of his power into the blade through his link with Kendal (The person not the sword).
    Spoiler: Tynan, the Storm destroyer of cities
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Whelp, I think that is my favorite panel in the comic so far. Not much more to say than that XD

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, I'm looking at the people in the last panel, and I am somewhat uncertain how to take it. I see someone carrying a child, but I thought this was Alinua breaking open the prison.
    And now I am thinking maybe that's better. The alternative to having kids grow up in prison is probably an orphanage, and in this lawful stupid city, you're probably better off growing up in prison.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    So, I'm looking at the people in the last panel, and I am somewhat uncertain how to take it. I see someone carrying a child, but I thought this was Alinua breaking open the prison.
    And now I am thinking maybe that's better. The alternative to having kids grow up in prison is probably an orphanage, and in this lawful stupid city, you're probably better off growing up in prison.
    I'm not saying it'd be beyond Zuurith and co. to do that (as far as they are concerned, not being the citizen of somewhere counts as a crime in and of itself, after all), but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Looking like a kid is canonically no the same thing as being one in the setting: Kria here, for instance, is a grown-ass adult, thank you very much.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Somebody just slap this jerk, please and thank you.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground

You mean, "Where's Will Smith when you need him" ?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    You mean, "Where's Will Smith when you need him" ?
    No, I do not.
    Forum Wisdom