New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside 3

1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 3

[Scorching Depths]

Oh good. They were both disturbed and confused by all of this. At least Braon had the comfort of knowing she and Sekhmet were on the same page.

"...I don't suppose that little voice or whatever told you to let me back out of here, too." Not even a question. Braon was sure Sekhmet still wasn't going to let her go, but at this point, asking seemed to be more or less obligatory.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Uh, no, sorry. Honestly, I don't, uh, trust you enough to let you run free yet. But, uh, I'm glad you're not siding with, uh, her on that." Sekhmet looks a bit awkward. "You've, uh, proven yourself very capable of getting into trouble. Uh, that might actually be helpful. Erszébet wasn't the only, uh, malcontent succubus, but she was the most powerful. I'll, uh, give you run of the palace again, then, uh, maybe you could spy on the others for me? I can give you the mundane or magical resources you need to, uh, do it, within reason." Maybe giving Braon something to do will help with the whole "being kept prisoner" thing.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #273

[Scorching Depths]

"So that's... that's your game, is it?" Braon scoffs. "While you keep me prisoner here, you want for me to help track down people who might actually wrong you and... what, banish them, too?" She raises an eyebrow. "In other words, sacrifice others less deserving of freedom so I can one day have it? I'm surprised at you; you're sounding more like a demon every day." She smirks. "And Adea help me, I think I'm going to take that deal."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "I'm, uh, trusting you with this. Don't let me down." Sekhmet has a couple other things to add though. "Uh, I probably won't punish anyone that harshly again, uh, for a while. I feel, uh, gross thinking about it. But, uh, I don't think there'll be another that warrants that, uh, treatment." And one more thing. "I don't, uh, know what you'll need for this. But if you find out you, uh, need something, I can see about getting it. There are, uh, a few enchanted items in the vaults, and some more that, uh, many of the succubi keep."
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-10-29 at 05:11 PM.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #275

[Scorching Depths]

"I can think of at least three more." Braon replies nonchalantly. "Erzi didn't act alone. She had three others in on this particular plan, not counting myself." She frowns. "What's your plan for dealing with them?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Right. Her cronies. Cleo, Corpse Blossom, and Agatha. I was, uh, hoping Erzsébet's fate would dissuade them from, uh, further rebellion. We'll, uh, have to see." Sekhmet seems uncomfortable talking about what she just did to the treacherous succubus.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #277

[Scorching Depths]

"...It's certainly an effective deterrent." Braon agrees, slightly disheartened. Not only did Sekhmet already know about them, she knew them by name. If Sekhmet was expecting her to find malcontents the demon queen couldn't, she was certainly starting at a disadvantage.

Fortunately, over the next several weeks, Braon does seem to show a certain adeptness for this kind of work. She grew up among schemers, and didn't have any particular trouble sussing them out once she regresses to that mindset.

Though that seems to come with trouble of its own. Braon quickly loses any respect for the palace staff, or the palace itself. Sekhmet and others will keep finding nonsensical markings in various places, usually doorframes, most of which seem to be singular Infernal characters with no rhyme or reason to them. The cleaning staff will keep running into "accidents" in the hallways and rooms, scorch marks or broken brickwork or candles that swear profusely at passersby. And of course, more singularly rude concerns like boot scuffs on the tables and half-eaten foodstuffs tucked in out-of-the-way places. Sekhmet's new inquisitor, it seems, is not a particularly good houseguest, even when they're working together.

Then again, Sekhmet might find it difficult to argue with results.

"Sorry to interrupt." Braon says as she walks brazenly into Sekhmet's bedroom, without any regard for what she might be interrupting. She's leading a succubus in what appears to be an elaborate weave of ropes and thin chains, who looks mildly disappointed that she's only being detained. "This is Gossamer. Say hi, Gossamer."

"Mmm mphm."

"I caught her skulking around the kitchen with this." Braon produces a vial of sweet-smelling pink liquid, turning it over to Sekhmet for her inspection. "'Liquid Love', she called it. Said she was going to try to slip you some in your wine."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet knew about them because they were notable repeat offenders. But there are many more out there.

One thing of note that Braon will learn in this time is something she probably already knew. Sekhmet doesn't actually live here. She comes and goes, but she seems to live in her cabin at GLoG, which makes sense. She also doesn't often bring Prumathe, her husband, when she comes. To some of the succubi, he's become a mysterious, legendary figure, some sort of master thief or great mage who can somehow steal the heart of a demon queen.

"That's new." Sekhmet looks the vial and the captive succubus over. "What was she, uh, hoping to accomplish with that?" Sekhmet's reasonably sure that she would be immune to any common love potion, but maybe this isn't such a common one.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #279

[Scorching Depths]

"She was mum on that. My guess is it was intended as a test run for something else." Braon replies, arms crossed. "If she can slip you 'Liquid Love' whenever she wants, she can probably also slip you, say, nightshade." Not that nightshade would be any more effective on Sekhmet than a love potion, but hopefully Braon's point came through nonetheless. "...And I don't think I need to point out the implications of sharing spiked wine with a certain consort, either."

Gossamer's eyes widen at this, but any objections she has are muffled by that gag in her mouth.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet looks genuinely concerned at that last comment. "Why did you want to do it, Gossamer?" She removes the gag from the prisoner's mouth so she can speak. "What did you have to gain from this?"

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #281

[Scorching Depths]

Gossamer doesn't answer at first; she seems to be stunned by the implications of what's been said. It takes a nudge from Braon to get her back to reality and to answer Sekhmet's question.

"I- I don't know." Gossamer finally replies. "I didn't- it wasn't my idea." She shakes her head. "It's just a prank. Slip the boss a love potion. We're succubi. It's funny. Harmless." She shrugs.

"Until it's not."

"I was never going to... no, I'd never!" Gossamer tilts her head toward Sekhmet, eyes wide. "You believe me, right? You're not going to... like Ezri, are you?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "No, I'm not going to do that to you. What you'd planned is bad, but not that bad." Sekhmet reassures her prisoner. "But who suggested it? Didn't you know we succubi are resistant to love potions?" This is suspicious, but Gossamer seems like a pawn. "How is this potion supposed to work, anyway?"

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #283

[Scorching Depths]

"It's... it's not a love potion exactly." Gossamer explains. "Liquid Love is exactly what it sounds like; pure, unadulterated emotion in liquid form. It's worked somewhat reliably on other succubi before, if a bit unpredictably, since nobody responds to it like anyone else." She shuffles nervously, managing to slip her hands free just so she can wring them. "I tried it myself once. Ended up kissing some visiting Incubi from the Lethean Abyss."

"...Just kissing." Braon says skeptically.

"Yes! Honest!" Gossamer blurts. "When I say it's Love, I mean it's Love. It doesn't just make you keen... well, it might make you keen... it goes deeper than that. It makes you more loving in general and you fill in from there." She turns her attention back to Sekhmet. "I thought, if you drank it, you might end up writing a few sappy poems, or maybe looking the other way while we do... stuff, or maybe you'd spend more time with your consort and we'd be hearing about an heir soon. Nothing bad! Just... a little fun for the rest of us, that's all."

"You didn't answer her highness's question. Who put you up to this?"

"A couple of Lethean visitors. A succubus and incubus couple. Um... their names were Mendacity and Aggravate, I think. I barely know them. They gave me the Liquid Love and the plan for using it."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Braon, what can you tell me about these Lethean visitors? Both the ones Gossamer is telling me about and the, uh, ones we normally get." Of course visitors are rare. It shouldn't be too hard to identify the ones that Gossamer is talking about.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #285

[Scorching Depths]

"Well, I can't say I know much more about them than you do." Braon replies with a shrug. "I've heard we get a handful of them every few years. Refugees, mostly, at least nominally. Apparently the Lethean Abyss has a bit of a security problem, and souls keep breaking loose. They don't generally cause a lot of trouble, though. Keep to themselves mostly. Most probably aren't keen on drawing your attention, or your mother's. You know, back when she ran this place."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Are there any here right now? We should pay them a visit." Sekhmet suggests. "As for you, Gossamer, go to the kitchen and talk to Simmer. She'll know what to do with you." Kitchen duty seems an appropriate punishment for an attempted prank. Once she's gone, the two of them can discuss the logistics of meeting with the visitors.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #287

[Scorching Depths]

Gossamer awkwardly shuffles out of the room, Braon's disapproving glare on her back the whole time. She'll go to the kitchens, as directed... evidently, she didn't want to risk making Sekhmet any more angry at her.

Once she's gone, Braon lets out a little sigh and turns back to Sekhmet. "Right. So. These Letheans. I... don't know where these ones are, but my sources say they generally arrive near, ah..." Braon snaps her fingers repeatedly, trying to recall the name. "Ugh, it's right on the tip of my tongue... starts with a Sh. Shay... Shah..." Her eyes light up in recognition as it clicks. "Sheol! The border we share with Sheol. We could check there."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-31 at 07:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Oh, uh, that doesn't mean what you think it does." Sekhmet responds. "Borders between realms like these, uh, aren't physical places. I can, uh, pinpoint where the boundary is the thinnest though, and we can go there, but it will probably be, uh, far from the palace." The environment out there isn't really suitable for mortals, as Braon already knows. "I, uh, have another question. Do you think it would be, uh, prudent to pay our visit in, uh, disguise?"

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #289

[Scorching Depths]

"...I knew that." Braon mutters, in a half-hearted attempt at saving face. "You can't prove I didn't, at least."

Fortunately, there's a subject change right around the corner.

"Well, yeah. I would say we probably should go in disguise." Braon replies. "Gossamer might not have known exactly what she was doing, but I'd bet my cloak these two did, and would expect some harsh retribution if they were found out. They don't know we're coming for them and I'd rather not advertise the fact if we can help it."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Uh, do you have a way to look different? I'm not sure if I can, uh, extend shapeshifting to you." Sekhmet asks. In the meantime, she's probing the boundaries of her realm to see where the closest intersection with Sheol is. "I think as long as we stayed in my kingdom, I could manage it, but if we needed to leave, it would fade."

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #291

[Scorching Depths]

Braon gives Sekhmet a little frown, the kind that tries way too hard to be unamused, before answering. "As a matter of fact, I do." She replies bluntly, heading for the door. "Back in five."

When Braon returns, she is, as promised, a little difficult to recognize. Her mismatched leather armor and cloak have been eschewed in favor of a little black dress, with a short skirt, exposed sternum, and no back. Her hair has had a lot more care put into it; whereas before it was a tangled mass of brown fibers growing out of her head, now it's a smooth cascade running down her shoulders, pulled into a loose knot on the end. She's also applied some amount of makeup; darkish violet blush makes her cheeks look a little more gaunt, and her lips are noticeably darker and fuller. Her horns have lost their weathered, road-weary look and are now immaculately clean and polished, capped with a pair of little silver studs.

Sekhmet will still recognize her, of course. But the wingless succubus standing before her now is a far cry from the borderline thug who'd been staying at her palace all this time.

"Quite the transformation, wouldn't you say?" Braon smiles, a posh sort of lilt in her speech. "And not a speck of magic involved. So if anyone tries to break through to see what I really look like, this is what they'll get."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet looks Braon over. "Impressive. But, uh, don't wear silver." The silver she's wearing is glowing brightly and heating up. "Fiends native to here, uh, can't touch silver."

Now it's her turn. Unlike Braon, Sekhmet isn't very good at mundane disguise. She vanishes off to her chambers, and returns a bit later. She's shed her regal, titanic form for a much more commonplace appearance. Her face is completely different, her six horns reduced to two with a very different shape. She let her hair down, and it's much shorter than her usual length. But beyond a new face, she's very recognizable. Her dress, while no longer literally on fire, is still long and modest, a style few succubi ever wear. "Uh, how did I do?" Her voice is different, but her speech pattern is the same.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #293

[Scorching Depths]

"Well..." Braon begins, wincing as the removes her studs (which have left notable scorch marks on the tips of her horns), "if I could suggest a small alteration?" If Sekhmet doesn't object, Braon will step forward and casually tear off the bottom three-quarters of her skirt. Or at least, try to.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Hey! Let go!" Sekhmet pulls away before her dress can be completely ruined. "What was that about?" She's rather annoyed by this development. She likes this dress! It's comfortable and presentable! She's not thinking about the fact that it's not presentable if she's trying to pass as a normal succubus.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #295

[Scorching Depths]

"Name me one succubus down here, other than her majesty queen Sekhmet herself, who dresses that conservatively." Braon replies, tossing the fabric aside. "And I'm certain most of them are familiar with shapechanging besides. If you don't want to be picked out immediately, you're going to have to find your inner slut and let her out." She cringes, recalling the incident in the throne room a few weeks ago. "...Okay, not that inner slut. Different one."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "That's... Ugh." Braon's definitely right, and Sekhmet hates it. "Fine. Fine. If you care so much about what I wear, uh, you decide." A wardrobe appears, filled completely with clothes of all shapes and sizes. Sekhmet will definitely regret this in a moment, but for now this seems like a good idea to her frustrated mind.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #297

[Scorching Depths]

Braon flashes Sekhmet a wicked grin, and the work of putting together her disguise begins.

Well, maybe "taking apart her disguise" would be more accurate.

When they're done, Braon turns the mirror towards Sekhmet so she can see what the fiendling has wrought. It quickly becomes apparent that giving her that kind of blank check was a mistake; Sekhmet might get the impression her outfit would be less scandalous if she simply eschewed clothing altogether and just raided her jewelry box.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-11-01 at 11:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Braon," Sekhmet complains, "I can't wear this! I might as well wear nothing!" She's trying and failing to cover her... Everything with her arms. Being "dressed" like this clearly makes her very uncomfortable. "A stiff breeze could, uh, tear this apart!" To be fair, the fabric is a good deal more resilient than that, it's just that there's so little of it.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #299

[Scorching Depths]

"Congratulations, your highness, you got the point." Braon smirks. "You'd never wear something like this, not in a million years! So, when your subjects look around and see a succubus dressed like so, how could it possibly be you?" She shrugs and gives a cheeky little grin. "Of course, if you'd prefer to wear nothing, you could do that. Maybe throw in a little extra shapechanging and treat that like your dress."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths

Sekhmet just glares at Braon. She knows the fiendling is right, again, but she hates to be dressed like this. Her body language definitely doesn't say "I'm a succubus, I dress like this all the time," however. She's still visibly uncomfortable with the amount of skin she has exposed. "You're as bad as my mother. Fine, Braon. Let's go."

My Nexus characters