New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside 3

1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 3

Inari stands up and brushes the dust from her lab-coat. Braeg clearly registered as evil, but these attackers didn't accost him as "Lord Braeg" but generically as a "fiendling" and clearly have racially-inspired murder on their minds.
    Why is that that "good" so often is annoying and racist and violent?

She lets her aura expand back to it's normal size: her divine presence and blessing filling the better part of a square mile. The plants ought to perk right up and become healthy again, perhaps even a flower or two might happen to open. Meanwhile, Braeg will find divine-grade Protection From Missiles and Protection From Magical Missiles settling over him.

Yes... such a terrible person! He found a goddess of creation and agriculture to come visit your world. I will grant you the benefit of the doubt, given the state things around here are in... but perhaps you would like to reconsider your welcome?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Dho Chladach]

The men murmur among themselves as the forest slowly comes back to life around them. Leaves perk up, grass re-grows, and birdsong fills the trees. One of the men lowers his bow and skeptically taps his fingers to his neck, an astonished expression working its way onto his face. "That's not possible..."

"It's a trick! It has to be! That fiend is using some kind of illusion!"
    "Or she's a witch!"
    "Not possible! Both the fiendlings and witches are powerless now!"
    "...Then is she telling the truth?"
    "How can this be?"
    "Are we saved?"

Braeg stands and steps back, leaning into Inari's declaration. "You see? A goddess of life, after our very own Adea! Surely, you wouldn't raise a weapon against her?"

"Her, no. You..." One of the men steps forward and shoves Braeg back down to his knees. "I thought I recognized that face. You're supposed to be dead, Braeg."

More murmurs from the archers. Apparently, they recognized the name.

"Well, sorry to disappoint you." Braeg says with a cheeky smile, getting a backhand for his trouble.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Inari is too surprised to react for a moment, then she gets irritated. As a Shinto O-Kami, she doesn't usually go in for the whole "glowing nimbus and improbably clouds with an aura of overwhelming awe and amazement", but to be set aside so they can focus on their petty assault is more than a bit much... and "doesn't usually go in for" doesn't mean "can't", so...

The sudden blue glow that bursts from her turns the overall red cast of the area a rather fetching pale lavender, but more importantly she turns her aura up to "multiple reality-spanning goddess of a staple food item with more worshippers than can easily be described". She stops just a bit short of "turn every mortal in the area into a quivering pile of jelly" levels, but keeping track of whatever they were doing instead of paying attention to her will be challenging to say the least. Oh... and she stops with the "mortal friendly" voice while she's at it.

I said he invited me here: that means I take his well being rather personally and I assure you that you do not want me to decide that you are the ones in the way of healing this place.

And in the end... she is a goddess after all, so this last is a Command at an effective caster level of... oh... say 200 or so since she's irritated.

NOW DROP YOUR WEAPONS AND REMEMBER WHO IT IS THAT IS SPEAKING TO YOU
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-09-07 at 08:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Inari is too surprised to react for a moment, then she gets irritated. As a Shinto O-Kami, she doesn't usually go in for the whole "glowing nimbus and improbably clouds with an aura of overwhelming awe and amazement", but to be set aside so they can focus on their petty assault is more than a bit much... and "doesn't usually go in for" doesn't mean "can't", so...

The sudden blue glow that bursts from her turns the overall red cast of the area a rather fetching pale lavender, but more importantly she turns her aura up to "multiple reality-spanning goddess of a staple food item with more worshippers than can easily be described". She stops just a bit short of "turn every mortal in the area into a quivering pile of jelly" levels, but keeping track of whatever they were doing instead of paying attention to her will be challenging to say the least. Oh... and she stops with the "mortal friendly" voice while she's at it.

I said he invited me here: that means I take his well being rather personally and I assure you that you do not want me to decide that you are the ones in the way of healing this place.

And in the end... she is a goddess after all, so this last is a Command at an effective caster level of... oh... say 200 or so since she's irritated.

NOW DROP YOUR WEAPONS AND REMEMBER WHO IT IS THAT IS SPEAKING TO YOU
    [Dho Chladach]

You hear that distinct wooden clattering sound? That's the sound of a dozen longbows hitting the ground at the same time. The man who had assaulted Braeg backs away slowly, hands up to show that they were empty, staring up at Inari with a mix of awe and terror. Similar expressions could be found on everyone else's faces, save Braeg, who is too busy wiping blood off his chin.

"...Forgive my bluntness, your Ladyship." Begins the assailant. "But if you know more than nothing about the man you have brought with you here, you know he must die. He has more blood on his hands than could fill a well."

"Well, I can't deny that." Braeg shrugs. "But no sense in getting all bent out of shape about it. I'm sure every man here has done his share of killing."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Dho Chladach]

Inari stops scowling and reduces her aura back down to more reasonable levels

I. Do. Not. Care.

she folds her arms

Your entire world is dying and all of your complaints against Lord Braeg are completely meaningless in that context. Given that, I would say that you all have rather more pressing issues than pursuing "justice" on the one who might very well have just pulled your bacon out of the fire... ignoring the simple fact that I would be willing to bet at least half of your complaint is based on perspective bias rather than any true crime.

Implying, of course, she's quite willing to entertain that as much as half of their complaints are true and valid.

To start: how long before two critical players notice what has happened here: first, your destructive force and second, whomever killed your creative force? I need to know what I am going to be dealing with, and how long we have to prepare.

Further on from that, we have to consider how best to resolve things here - including how much we can actually hope for! Is this world even salvageable, or is it time to relocate everyone we can reach to more suitable environs?

6. - Top - End - #36

[Dho Chladach]

"Half of- have you not been paying attention?"

"Seth. That's enough."

The man in question scowls but says nothing else, stepping back into line with the others.

"My apologies, your Ladyship. To answer your questions... we can't answer any but the first. We do not know what caused Adea's death, nor do we know whether the situation can be remedied. We can only tell you that Absum, Lord of the Sun, is the highest destructive power we have."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Dho Chladach]

Inari looks concerned

An evil Sun God... that can be quite a challenge to work around.

She shakes her head

However did you end up with creation and destruction and nothing else? What a strange thing...

She looks at the archers, and at Braeg, then at the world at large.

A destructive Sun god rampaging unchecked, deadly monsters roaming, everything in shambles, formerly powerful beings reduced to a shadow of their former selves while villagers have surprisingly potent weapons...

Then she tilts her head

Wait... that makes even less sense! Without your creative force, the fiendlings have lost their magic? Your creative goddess was the power behind them? No offense, Lord Braeg, but that seems backwards to me - those who's nature is overall one of chaos and darkness are not generally closely aligned with creation.

She blinks

I think perhaps a small step back is in order: can you please enlighten me regarding these two gods of yours?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-09-08 at 09:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Default Re: [Dho Chladach]

Inari looks concerned

An evil Sun God... that can be quite a challenge to work around.

She shakes her head

However did you end up with creation and destruction and nothing else? What a strange thing...

She looks at the archers, and at Braeg, then at the world at large.

A destructive Sun god rampaging unchecked, deadly monsters roaming, everything in shambles, formerly powerful beings reduced to a shadow of their former selves while villagers have surprisingly potent weapons...

Then she tilts her head

Wait... that makes even less sense! Without your creative force, the fiendlings have lost their magic? Your creative goddess was the power behind them? No offense, Lord Braeg, but that seems backwards to me - those who's nature is overall one of chaos and darkness are not generally closely aligned with creation.

She blinks

I think perhaps a small step back is in order: can you please enlighten me regarding these two gods of yours?
    [Dho Chladach]

"Is it really?" Braeg smirks. "Think about it. All forms of life have their inception in darkness. Seeds buried underground. Birds tucked away in eggs, nestled in the shade of tree branches. Even humans are secreted away in their mothers' wombs, to grow there before being born." He chuckles and makes a little aside, "Plus, it's been our tendency to concieve in the dark, as well."

"Regardless." Interrupts the man identified as Seth. "You wanted a complete picture, and so here I will explain it. Our world was made by Absum and Adea, whom we collectively call The Lovers. Adea was the creator, the Lady of the Moon and Ocean, while Absum, the Lord of Sun and Storms, was the destroyer. They worked together in harmony to build our world; Adea would plant, Absum would prune. Together, they made not only this world, but innumerable children, called the Thamar; what The Lovers did not make that you see before you today is their handiwork."

"Also believed to be responsible for the existence of Lords such as myself." Braeg interrupts.

"Indeed." Seth glares at Braeg but doesn't address him at this point. "It would be a mistake to consider either of them evil; Absum and Adea both have blessed this land a thousand times over with their myriad of gifts. Adea with bountiful harvests and the Lunar Arts, and Absum with... the whole of civilization, really. It is well-known that Absum cannot create on his own, and therefore, his gifts to us are refinement... testing and tempering ourselves until we emerge stronger than before, thanks to his guidance."

"In other words, he's a jerk to them and they get to act all snotty about it." Braeg gives Inari a playful nudge in the ribs.

"Whereas fiendlings and their ilk understand nothing of Absum's virtues. Honor, courage, sacrifice... these are empty words to them. They have power from Adea's gifts, but lack the wisdom to use it properly." Seth gives Braeg a smug smile. "...Or should I say, 'had'?"

Braeg glowers at him and says nothing.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Dho Chladach]

Inari nods

Thank you: that makes a lot more sense now.

Then she chuckles at the jabs Braeg and Seth toss around

I am well aware of the value of challenging and pruning: life is Balance, not unrestrained growth. And I do not know about Absum, but I support and encourage certain groups of people not unlike Lord Braeg specifically so they provide an appropriate challenge to people who would otherwise grow complacent.

She smiles at Braeg

Keiko's family, for instance.

Then she turns back to the villagers

So it seems that your world's main problem is the loss of balance: without force of Preservation, the loss of Creation means a hopeless slide into entropy as the only power you have left. That is why it works best to have three: the loss of any one can be rectified by the remaining powers. But that is neither here nor there, as you have none. Based on your descriptions, I think I can safely discount any threat from his direction.

The issue of who raised their hand against Adea is also still quite concerning... the ability of anyone on this world to actually harm me is negligable, but losing an avatar is always an annoyance and more importantly it would exclude me from assisting you for some hundreds of your years. Identifying and neutralizing that person or agency is quite important.

The good news is that balance can be restored, though the exact means is not yet clear. But Balance will be satisfied... eventually... we just want to make sure it is satisfied in a way that allows your world to return to some semblance of what it once was.

She looks at Seth and the villagers

Grand strategies aside, let us consider what may be more pressing matters: I do not know this wold. What season is it? Do you have winter or some other time of low food availability approaching and if so how long do you have? How many people are there remaining in your village, and what condition are your current stores in? How acute a threat are the monsters I can sense around us?

10. - Top - End - #40

[Dho Chladach]

"Wait, who's Keiko?"
    "I don't know, but apparently her family gets complacent."
    "I thought she meant they're meant to help with complacency."

"Most of those questions are meaningless." Seth replies. "Since Adea's death, there has been no day or night, just perpetual dusk, or possibly dawn. Similarly, there hasn't been winters and summers, for most of the same reasons. Food has been... not exactly a non-issue, but directly tied to our numbers." Seth shuffles nervously, but doesn't elaborate.

"And the monsters?" Braeg asks.

"Strigoi, moroi, vorvolakas, demons... most of these won't be a problem for a goddess, but they present significant problems for us. Moroi are at least mindless and can be warded away fairly easily, but the rest continue to hound us."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Dho Chladach]

Um... ok... so it would appear that the planet is not only not rotating anymore, but is no longer even orbiting its star. Inari decides that now is not the time to debate the physical impossibility of what they just described.

I see. So things are ... let us say "stable". Perhaps it is time to go to the village: presumably you have an inn or such, hopefully somewhat near the center of the place. I can set up there and extend my aura to get some of your life back and keep out the monsters.

She remembers her earlier command, which won't fade for rather a long time.

You may recover your weapons, but past events need to stay there for the time being: you will remain polite to Lord Braeg unless he directly attacks you - I do not expect you to forego defending yourselves.

She turns to Braeg, and smiles

aloud she says

I am sure he will be on his best behavior.

but telepathically

I will work on getting you some measure of your power back, as I imagine you would want to check on your home.

For now, I want to keep these people placated but I still cannot help feeling that something is very wrong here.

12. - Top - End - #42

[Dho Chladach]

My home was gone before I ever left. Braeg nods to Seth and his men, who are gathering their gear back up. You can thank these [profanity] silverskins for that. But I would appreciate your efforts; a fiendling's magic is a part of him. As a Lord, even more so. I feel as though I am missing a limb.

Seth slings his bow over his back and gestures toward the ruined village, barely a minute's walk away. None of the buildings are intact, but one of the larger ones has a firepit dug into it, which a few of Seth's men set to work rekindling. The rest are talking amongst themselves; from what Inari will be able to hear, the prevailing mood is one of cautious optimism. Having a goddess here changes everything.

Braeg, meanwhile, is going through the nearby forest, gathering roots and mushrooms that are freshly growing again, thanks to Inari's influence. He has an uncanny sense for which ones are and aren't edible, and before too long, he's busily preparing a crude vegetable stew. "...I did promise you dinner." He quips with a smile.

Seth frowns. "...See to it you do not get too involved with him, my Lady." He mumbles to Inari. "He has taken hundreds of lovers over the years. To the last one, each has met an unpleasant fate."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Dho Chladach]

Inari nods to Seth

Thank you: I will be on my guard.

and she nods to Braeg

Indeed: dinner and a walk on the beach. Though an entire new world to expand to is certainly an opportunity worth the distraction.

Since it appears that company is going to remain obnoxiously nearby, she continues her talk with Braeg silently

My deepest condolances. I had a feeling that was the case, and I felt certain their "complaints" were along the lines of sour grapes that they could not exterminate you fiendlings without taking any casualties of their own.

And that "Seth" person presumes much. I am considerably over thirteen billion years old from my perspective and I assure you I have not been sitting around celibate all that time. I got over my youthful misconceptions about relationships a very long time ago indeed.

While she waits for the stew to be finished, she looks around the visible area. A few interesting lines of thought have come from other avatars and she looks for odd things: jars, boxes, or other out of place containers that seem more ... interactable for lack of a better word.

14. - Top - End - #44

[Dho Chladach]

There are, indeed, a fair number of jars and boxes and the like nearby, but their contents have long since gone rotten, which makes opening them questionable.

Fortunate for you that I've always preferred the company of older women. Braeg silently quips, with a little smirk. Exactly how old he was supposed to be hasn't yet been said, but clearly, it was still well behind thirteen billion. And yes, it would seem Seth and his kin harbor such resentment, but not entirely without cause; we gave as good as we got.

Seth takes a seat a respectful distance from Inari, stretching a moment before settling into his seat. He can't tell what they're saying, naturally, or even that they're saying anything, but all the same, he doesn't interrupt. He just silently, suspiciously watches Braeg prepare the stew.

Which is just about ready.

The black broth Braeg serves to Inari doesn't taste like anything special; it has a mildly savory and earthy taste to it, with a minor, bitter aftertaste. Not terribly pleasant, but much better than it could be.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Dho Chladach]

Inari nods: her suspicions appearing to be confirmed. Then she tastes the soup and chuckles

It has been rather a long time since I have had an Avatar out adventuring, but once upon a time I did more of this sort of thing. This is not the worst camp food I have tasted: you are not a bad field cook. You are, however, in rather desparate need of herbs.

Celery, tarragon, fennel, savory, parsley, and marjoram begin to sprout up all around. After a moment's reflection, she also induces a wide array of medicinal herbs join them.

The problem with a forest is that while pretty, many of the more useful plants are usually found out in the grasslands - herbs do not appreciate shade. Fortunately, I am on very good terms with the goddess of priarie and clearing plants, so that can be addressed. Now you have a selection should serve you well.

She takes a few more bites, then stop and considers the bowl.

One thing that absolutely will not do with regards to your meal is the lack of bread. Given the situation, that will just have to be imported.

She waves her hand and a bright blue glow briefly occupies a nearby empty space. When it fades (and everyone has blinked the afterimages out of their eyes), a small black wrought-iron table is standing there with eight long baugettes in paper bags simply labelled "Poilâne", each with a small white ceramic butter-pot to keep it company.

There. These are from one of the better bakeries on my favorite three-dimensional world.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-09-09 at 09:39 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

[Dho Chladach]

Braeg smiles. "Well... I did have a few hundred years to practice." He chuckles, breaking up a few of the herbs and adding them to the stew. "Granted, the materials could be better, but one makes do with what they have."

Seth eyes the baguettes, weighing out the situation. With eight of them, they were clearly intended to be for the whole group, not just Braeg and Inari. The question remained of whether it was safe or not; while he doubted Inari was up to anything malicious, they'd found out the hard way that traditional foodstuffs could be quite harmful to them. At the same time, Inari's presence had a certain invigorating effect on all the life nearby, them included; she may have temporarily reversed their condition, and it would do wonders for morale if his men were able to eat again.

With that in mind, Seth approaches the table and gestures to one of the loaves. "May I?" He asks Inari.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dho Chladach]

Inari smiles

Of course! And do let me know if we need more.

It will be both amusing and highly ironic if Seth responds to the bread like a Yinglet.

---

[Palace of Orochi]

Hey, here's a location tag that's not been up for a while!

Yumiko and Sekhmet arrive in the palace. A servant comes over quickly and there is a whispered conversation. Yumiko then turns to Sekhmet

I got the timing right! So, how should the herald anounce you?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Palace of Orochi
    "Uh, herald?" Sekhmet isn't used to all the royal trappings yet. And she's here for advice, not a formal visit. "Uh, Queen Sekhmet Brignole of the Burning Depths, I, uh, guess." At the same time, she's looking around, trying to get an idea of what sort of place she's wound up in.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #49

[Dho Chladach]

Inari smiles

Of course! And do let me know if we need more.

It will be both amusing and highly ironic if Seth responds to the bread like a Yinglet.
    [Dho Chladach]

With Inari's permission, Seth tears off a chunk of the loaf and pops it into his mouth, chewing slowly. The taste... seemed about right. Actually, it seemed a lot better than he was expecting. Maybe it was an indication that eating normal, mortal food was safe again. Maybe it was a result of the quality of bread Inari had chosen; a goddess with thirteen billion years to pick and choose her favorite bakeries would likely have extremely refined tastes, after all. Or maybe it was sheer relief; Seth hadn't had food like this in a decade, so his first taste of fresh bread after that time was going to be a pleasant experience.

Taste wasn't everything, though. He would need time to tell if this would bolster his strength, or deprive him of it.

A long minute stretches by.

Followed by another.

And another.

Nothing.

Which was the best news he could have received. Digestion wouldn't take effect for a while, if he could manage it, but the detrimental effects of eating the wrong sort of food would kick in almost immediately if he remained a strigoi.

The bread was safe.

Seth smiles and waves the rest of his men over. The small crowd gathers with affirmative murmurs as he sets about the work of breaking bread for them, distributing the fresh food among his men. Murmurs give way to awed, joyful babbling as more of them get to experience proper food all over again.

Seth turns to Inari and gives her a reverent bow. "My most sincere thanks, Lady Inari. Already, you have given us much to be grateful for."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-09 at 07:33 PM.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dho Chladach]

Inari shakes her head at what she [incorrectly] presumes to be testing to see if it is somehow tainted or poisoned, as if she would bother. But she's back to smiles by the time Seth turns around

You are most welcome, Seth. I am hopeful we can get things set back up to a more functional state very soon now. I am already negotiating with some people who can get your village back in proper order and will be able to help us in determining the next steps.

But in some ways... they're just too happy. Inari sends some thoughts Braeg's way

Lord Braeg... the more I watch them the less it makes sense to me. Why were they so surprised that the bread was edible? I could perhaps understand being wary of poison, but I have heard "we can actually eat it" exclaimed at least five times.

-----

[Palace of Orochi]

The room they are in is a tall, wide hallway of sorts. The floor is poilshed stone and the walls are smooth and plastered between mighty stone columns. Lamps hang at regular intervals from the vaulted ceiling overhead, and tapestries and various statues adorn the walls between the columns. Of note is that the statues are all of a very wide variety of creatures with relatively few humans among them.

But everything is black and white and shades of gray.

At the end of the hallway is a large double-door of some deep black wood. Draconian guards stand to either side in shimmering chainmail with breastplates emblazoned with a black circle with eight enlongated teardrop-shapes going overlapping each other around the perimeter. They are carrying halberds and have long swords at their sides. As Sekhmet and Yumiko approach, they bow politely and one acknowledges her

Princess. The King is holding court but there's nobody here right now. The herald is just inside.

Yumiko nods and smiles

Thank you!

21. - Top - End - #51

[Dho Chladach]

Inari shakes her head at what she [incorrectly] presumes to be testing to see if it is somehow tainted or poisoned, as if she would bother. But she's back to smiles by the time Seth turns around

You are most welcome, Seth. I am hopeful we can get things set back up to a more functional state very soon now. I am already negotiating with some people who can get your village back in proper order and will be able to help us in determining the next steps.

But in some ways... they're just too happy. Inari sends some thoughts Braeg's way

Lord Braeg... the more I watch them the less it makes sense to me. Why were they so surprised that the bread was edible? I could perhaps understand being wary of poison, but I have heard "we can actually eat it" exclaimed at least five times.
    [Dho Chladach]

Braeg shrugs. Your guess is as good as mine. As for mine... it probably has something to do with the quality of food here. This place is, to use a highly technical term, messed up. Not a lot seems to grow here naturally anymore, if at all; it must impact their diet somehow.

But it's not like I would know. I haven't been here in ten years.

Seth smiles. "Well, I won't pretend to understand how you can do that and sit here at the same time. But if for any reason, you require our services, it would be my pleasure and honor to assist."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Palace of Orochi
    Sekhmet checks if she's monochromatic here too. Regardless of the answer, she had other more important concerns. "Should I, uh, make myself more presentable?" She's not in her regalia right now, so she doesn't look especially queenly.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dho Chladach]

Inari chuckles

I am not one of those "mystery for mystery's sake" sorts, and it is not all that difficult to understand, really. There are simply three details to consider.

First, think about even your own mind: you can listen to me, and think about what to say next, part of you is still paying attention to the surroundings just in case something manages to get past my wards, part of you is "keeping an eye" on Lord Braeg in case he decides to try something. You are maintaining your balance and breathing and processing the information from your eyes and skin... you do a great many things all at the same time, all the time, without even thinking about it. I am no different in that regard... just rather more accustomed to being "spread out" in more than just one body.

The second... I am not native to this universe, but beyond that my true self is so very different from this place that I cannot physically interact with it. Therefore, I use a temporary form - an Avatar - that conforms to this world. Beyond a basic physical resemblance, this body is no more "me" than your clothes are you, and having it function takes only a very small amount of concentration on my part. In fact, I can quite happily have several dozen Avatars in various physical worlds without taxing myself too much. For me, it is no different than walking and talking at the same time while still taking in the scenery as I go.

Finally, Though I have that capability, I generally handle relatively few things in person these days: I have a wide variety of trusted and valued servants that I can instruct to handle things for me, and then I do not need to involve myself directly at all!

Then she smiles

Fairly soon now, we will need your help telling us how this village used to be and you will need to make some decisions: if you wish to continue to follow me, you will need a Temple and there are clearly some long-standing issues that will need to be addressed. This is by no means a demand, and if you prefer that I only help so far as to get your world back in balance then I will honor that.

some thoughts for Braeg

I understand.

We will being bridging Atorre's minions and appropriate construction equipment shortly, that should distract the villagers enough that I can analyze your power linkages and at least determine what can be done to restore your magic, and to what level that can be done.

As much as these people might prefer, "restoring the balance" does not mean "install humans as the sole sentient group" - Balance will never allow for any "side" to "win" and victory through destruction nearly always results in destruction itself and humans never fare well without capable opposition... though it needs to be considered how to prevent further direct open conflict as happened previously.

---

[Palace of Orochi]

Sekhmet certainly looks grayscale to herself. Yumiko looks her over

It's up to you... the guard did say nobody's else is there, and Dad's really not one for appearances all that much... but it wouldn't hurt to put your best foot forward as it were. Especially since you're a queen - but given the whole point of the visit is that you're so new to that and need some advice, maybe staying as you are is better. Um... I'm not really sure.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Palace of Orochi
    Sekhmet doesn't know how to alter her clothes by magic yet, so she settles on the simple things. She retrieves a makeup mirror from her purse and examines her reflection in it. With a little application of magic, her face distorts ever so slightly, reshaping to a more beautiful, noble, and inhuman countenance. Not the sort of face she wears normally; she likes to be approachable, but looking a bit more the part of a devil queen isn't a bad thing when meeting other supernatural royalty. She returns her mirror to her purse. "Okay, uh, I'm ready." She holds her hands behind her back to hide that they're shaking a little.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #55

[Dho Chladach]

Inari chuckles

I am not one of those "mystery for mystery's sake" sorts, and it is not all that difficult to understand, really. There are simply three details to consider.

First, think about even your own mind: you can listen to me, and think about what to say next, part of you is still paying attention to the surroundings just in case something manages to get past my wards, part of you is "keeping an eye" on Lord Braeg in case he decides to try something. You are maintaining your balance and breathing and processing the information from your eyes and skin... you do a great many things all at the same time, all the time, without even thinking about it. I am no different in that regard... just rather more accustomed to being "spread out" in more than just one body.

The second... I am not native to this universe, but beyond that my true self is so very different from this place that I cannot physically interact with it. Therefore, I use a temporary form - an Avatar - that conforms to this world. Beyond a basic physical resemblance, this body is no more "me" than your clothes are you, and having it function takes only a very small amount of concentration on my part. In fact, I can quite happily have several dozen Avatars in various physical worlds without taxing myself too much. For me, it is no different than walking and talking at the same time while still taking in the scenery as I go.

Finally, Though I have that capability, I generally handle relatively few things in person these days: I have a wide variety of trusted and valued servants that I can instruct to handle things for me, and then I do not need to involve myself directly at all!

Then she smiles

Fairly soon now, we will need your help telling us how this village used to be and you will need to make some decisions: if you wish to continue to follow me, you will need a Temple and there are clearly some long-standing issues that will need to be addressed. This is by no means a demand, and if you prefer that I only help so far as to get your world back in balance then I will honor that.

some thoughts for Braeg

I understand.

We will being bridging Atorre's minions and appropriate construction equipment shortly, that should distract the villagers enough that I can analyze your power linkages and at least determine what can be done to restore your magic, and to what level that can be done.

As much as these people might prefer, "restoring the balance" does not mean "install humans as the sole sentient group" - Balance will never allow for any "side" to "win" and victory through destruction nearly always results in destruction itself and humans never fare well without capable opposition... though it needs to be considered how to prevent further direct open conflict as happened previously.
    [Dho Chladach]

Seth nods his understanding as Inari explains the nature of being a multidimensional entity, finding her explanation to be surprisingly intuitive and relatable. She is either extremely intelligent/wise, or she's had a number of tries to nail the explanation down. Probably both.

At the bit about the temple, Seth frowns. "We may run into a minor problem... as of now, the only temples we have are to Absum, and he may not appreciate the building of more."

As if in response, thunder rumbles overhead, clouds gathering over the village. It's a little difficult to tell, given the lighting, but it looks as though there is suddenly a storm where there used to be clear skies.

Well, "storm". It's only drizzling a little.

"...I'm not a priest, but I would take that as a sign." Seth concedes. "Good or bad, I'm not entirely sure."

Meanwhile, Braeg has his own thoughts to "voice".

I appreciate the thought, but for the moment, I believe it may be prudent to simply send me back to the Nexus. The silverskins only tolerate me now because I am not a threat and you are. If either of those cease to be true, I doubt the outcome will be very pleasant.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dho Cladach]

Inari looks at the sky, unimpressed.

I see. I never did doubt that we will need to discuss matters with Absum at some point, but all such far-future items do not need to be dwelt on at this time.

My messenger tells me that the construction crew is ready. I am going to head to the outskirts of the vilage: this will need some considerable room.

To Braeg

Certainly, I can do that: that is not a problem.

---

[Palace of Orochi]

Yumiko smiles

That looks fine! Ok, We're ready.

The guard on the right nods and opens the door, which reveals yet another room with a very ornately dressed draconian. She listense to Yumiko's descriptions, then turns to Sekhmet with a polite smile

I shall go in first and announce you. Wait in the doorway until His Majesty has acknowledged you, then proceed to the dais. There's a mark on the floor to show you where to stop.

Yumiko whispers

It's really obvious, don't worry! And I'll be right there.

The herald opens the door wide and steps inside briskly. Through the door, Sekhmet can see the enormous chamber: easily seventy five feet high and well over two hundred wide and long, with two stories of balconies that run along the three visible sides. The stonework is jet black and mirror-polished, and every wall, column, and even a few seemingly randomly scattered seating areas have statuary, tapestries, and paintings. Guards are both stationed in strategic areas and patrolling quietly.

And at the far end of the room, the reason for the size of the place becomes clear: The huge, coiled form of Yamata no Orochi: the eight-headed demon dragon of ancient times sits coiled on a huge circular raised platform at the end of the room. His scales are as black and reflective as the polished stones and his eight heads all turn nearly in unison to regard the newcomers, each wearing a slightly different crown.

There are a number of shadowy courtiers are there, milling around, and they stop their conversations and turn to look as well.

The Herald steps forward several paces and then begins her introductions

Her Royal Highness, The Princess Yumiko no Mae: Messenger of Tamamo and Envoy to the world of Erda.

Nobody really pays the princess the slightest bit of attention and the Hearald smoothly continues:

Queen Sekhmet Brignole of the Burning Depths

Now this stops all conversation dead and everyone in the room turns to stare. Orochi's heads nod politely and he speaks: a deep bass that rumbles through the room.

Welcome, dear daughter, and our greetings to you Queen Sekhmet. Please, come forward.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-09-13 at 10:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Palace of Orochi
    Sekhmet steps forward. In her mind, every footstep and every heartbeat is deafening. She is, in a word, terrified. She always is. "Uh, hi?" she squeaks, all too aware of the plainness of her dress in this opulent palace, of her tiny size compared to the gargantuan monarch before her. She's less impressive-looking than the lowest courtiers in such a noble place. "I was, uh, Inari, uh..." She stumbles over her words for a moment. "I was, uh, told you could, uh, help me."

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #58

[Dho Cladach]

Inari looks at the sky, unimpressed.

I see. I never did doubt that we will need to discuss matters with Absum at some point, but all such far-future items do not need to be dwelt on at this time.

My messenger tells me that the construction crew is ready. I am going to head to the outskirts of the vilage: this will need some considerable room.

To Braeg

Certainly, I can do that: that is not a problem.
    [Dho Chladach]

Braeg nods to Inari, indicating he's ready to leave as soon as she is.

Seth gestures to his men. "You heard the Lady! Clear the area! Give her workers some space!"

The men hastily retrieve the last bits of bread and stumble out of the village, leaving it empty and safe for entry.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dho Chladach]

Inari nods

Very good. You will be likely happy to know that Lord Braeg is going to be departing your world once more - I will return him from whence he came.

Inari gazes at the end of the open space. Her power swells in the area and an unlikely item appears: a frame of large wooden beams with absolutely enormous sapphires at each corner and set into the midpoint of each.

Had to be real, this one - and therefore permanent. I wonder what you will make from it when this is done... Prepare yourself, Lord Braeg: as this transport is from the mortal realms rather than my home, it will be considerably less pleasant.

She closes her eyes and concentrates, gathering enough power to happily run a sci-fi planet for several years. Plants in the area fairly well explode in exuberant growth from the leakage, and if anyone had any persistent health issues those should vanish completely.

I call upon the gateawy.

Blazing purple light flares from the sapphires, and arcs of energy flit around. Depending on Braeg's magical senses, he may or may not see the eye-watering form of Inari's tesseract forming in the center: a seven-dimensional construct to map the coordinates between here and the nexus. Swirling and impossible, it soon reaches a steady state and the avatar opens her eyes.

I call upon the portal!

The power and light flare like the heart of a star and then are gone. In the center of the frame can now be seen Atorre's mountain outpost, where a white fox is wagging its tail.

----

[Palace of Orochi]

One head snakes down to meet Sekhmet's gaze at more of a level. The others regard Yumiko and other items in the room

If my mother-in-law sent you for aid then I shall surely do my best to not fail her trust in me. What is it you require, Queen of the Burning Depths?

30. - Top - End - #60

[Dho Chladach]

Braeg gives a polite little bow to Inari. "Until next time." He smiles, and takes his leave through the portal.

Much to the collective relief of the others.

Between that, and the invigorating effect of Inari's magic, the place looks much more alive than it had been previously. Seth even has an honest smile on his face. Someone in the crowd suggests celebrating the occasion, only for the idea to quickly be shot down as they have nothing to celebrate with.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]