New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1326

Thread: Planeside 3

1. - Top - End - #1291
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 3

Scorching Depths
    Oh! Nice to meet you. I am Alabaster, and I'm an assistant to Vlad here. He freed me from being traded in a bottle. Who are you?
    As the red day is dawning,
    And the lightning cracks the sky
    They'll raise their hands to the heavens above
    With resentment in their eyes

Note: if I ghost you on FFRP, you have my explicit permission to godmod me.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Scorching Depths - Infirmary
    "Cortez?" Seam mouths at Sekhmet, but she gets up and leaves the room.
    Sekhmet, in turn, looks at the talking cloud that just entered. She had left the door close, but that isn't really an obstacle to a gaseous creature, is it? "Uh, hello? We're fine here, but, uh, who are you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Geopol4r View Post
    Scorching Depths
    Oh! Nice to meet you. I am Alabaster, and I'm an assistant to Vlad here. He freed me from being traded in a bottle. Who are you?
    [Scorching Depths - Infirmary]

"We don't have time for this!" Vlad snaps, holding up a dripping hand. "Help me up, they're going to be here any moment! We need to get out of here!" The fact that he's melting doesn't seem to be bothering Vlad too much. At least not as much as "they" are.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Uh, you're not going anywhere. You need to rest," Sekhmet counters to Vlad. She responds to Alabaster as well. "I'm Sekhmet. I, uh, what are you? Do you need anything from me?" She's kind of busy right now trying to take care of Vlad. She doesn't have a lot to say to Alabaster.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Brefaisil]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    And with that gesture, Marcie learns that if pressed, goats can fly at an impressive speed.

Distance, not so much.

"Waaaaaaaah!" Screams the goat-man as he hurdles forward into the ground, landing face-down on the granite floor. A sharp crack indicates that the fall might have broken a bone or two, which would preclude any further running.

Well.

That was a short chase.
    Well, we did say faster than the average goat. Not a goat that's been pressed to impressive measures.

Now snap his leg to be *sure* it's broken. thinks a part of her. But Marcie doesn't listen to that part, and just lands a few feet away from the goat-man.

"Sorry about tripping you like that. But it really is important that I get this information, and soon."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #1295

[Brefaisil]

"Get away from me!" The goat-man beats, scrambling away from Marcie as quickly as he can... which with a broken leg, isn't very quickly. "Keep back! I'm a Maesdan citizen! I know my rights!" He glances over her shoulder at the approaching crowd and raises his voice further. "Help! She's repressin' me! I'm being repressed!"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

6. - Top - End - #1296

[Brefaisil]

"Weren't you just telling me how not even the queen of Maesda could handle this?"
    "What do you think the law is going to do?"

Marcie walks briskly after him.

"Oh, you're joking. Sorry, I didn't get it at first."
    She extends a hand towards the goat-man, fingers splayed, and invisible strings start trying to lift him off the ground.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #1297

[Brefaisil]

He is, of course, not so heavy that the strings can't carry him, and Marcie successfully lifts her detainee off the ground this way, ready for transport to wherever.

While the rest of the crowd isn't in on the joke, Marcie's assertion that the goat-man is joking is enough to cause some hesitancy in the crowd. For the moment, they're simply gathering around, confused, curious and a little disturbed. Marcie has the opportunity to address them if she wishes, or she can do what she needs to do in front of them, or she can push past them and hope there are no consequences. What's her plan?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

8. - Top - End - #1298

"It's not really my manner of humor, so-"
    Marcie considers her options, weighing expense against time...

With one hand, she tugs the strings and maneuvers the goat-man closer, while in the other, an item appears out of thin air, a sort of knobbly headband set with an orange gem (matches the necklace she herself wears quite exactly). This floats over to try to put itself on the goat's head.

"Does anyone else have information to volunteer about the recent terrible murder?" she asks the crowd, voice totally innocent and curious.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Pixie in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Uh, you're not going anywhere. You need to rest," Sekhmet counters to Vlad. She responds to Alabaster as well. "I'm Sekhmet. I, uh, what are you? Do you need anything from me?" She's kind of busy right now trying to take care of Vlad. She doesn't have a lot to say to Alabaster.
    Alabaster will accept Sekhmets introduction, and ask if there are any supplies he can fetch or ways to be mildly useful.

10. - Top - End - #1300

Scorching Depths
    Alabaster will accept Sekhmets introduction, and ask if there are any supplies he can fetch or ways to be mildly useful.
    [Scorching Depths]

If Sekhmet was expecting Vlad to listen to her, she clearly has not been spending enough time with her succubi, or with anyone experiencing a dissociative episode.

Rather than obey, Vlad stumbles off onto the floor, not seeming to particularly care that he's melting. He makes a clumsy lurch for the door, which is rather hindered with his bones being as pliant as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "It's not really my manner of humor, so-"
    Marcie considers her options, weighing expense against time...

With one hand, she tugs the strings and maneuvers the goat-man closer, while in the other, an item appears out of thin air, a sort of knobbly headband set with an orange gem (matches the necklace she herself wears quite exactly). This floats over to try to put itself on the goat's head.

"Does anyone else have information to volunteer about the recent terrible murder?" she asks the crowd, voice totally innocent and curious.
    [Brefaisil]

The crowd goes silent at that; if they had information, they wouldn't be standing here looking for it.

Eventually, someone yells out "move it, people, the lady's got a job to do!", and the crowd starts to slowly disperse, save for a few stragglers still staring intently at that gem.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-06-27 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Vlad no!" Sekhmet doesn't know how to stop him, but it's clear he's a danger to himself in this state. "Just help me keep him still," she implores Alabaster, "He could seriously hurt himself like this!" She does her best to gently restrain Vlad, but she doesn't want to provoke him, so it it's probably ineffective at best.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Pixie in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Restrain him? Alabaster can do that.
    Ice cuffs begin to pin Vlad's melting appendages to the table as the water cools into a solid clasp around him.

13. - Top - End - #1303

[Brefaisil]
    The crowd goes silent at that; if they had information, they wouldn't be standing here looking for it.

Eventually, someone yells out "move it, people, the lady's got a job to do!", and the crowd starts to slowly disperse, save for a few stragglers still staring intently at that gem.
    Marcie gets back to her job. The strings of force tighten around the goat-man, like he's being held in an invisible fist (although he can still probably push his way free with a great effort) and she goes to finish putting that headband on his head. At that point, it can begin breaking into the goat's mind, which is a fairly unpleasant sensation if you're not cooperating: a chill wrapping around his heart, eyes being pulled open despite already being open, the sound of nails dragged down a chalkboard, that sort of thing.
    "Who did you see?" It doesn't really matter to her what he tries to answer, as the question should bring the information near the front of his mind, visible to Marcie thanks to the gem.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #1304

Scorching Depths
    "Vlad no!" Sekhmet doesn't know how to stop him, but it's clear he's a danger to himself in this state. "Just help me keep him still," she implores Alabaster, "He could seriously hurt himself like this!" She does her best to gently restrain Vlad, but she doesn't want to provoke him, so it it's probably ineffective at best.
    Scorching Depths
    Restrain him? Alabaster can do that.
    Ice cuffs begin to pin Vlad's melting appendages to the table as the water cools into a solid clasp around him.
    [Scorching Depths]

Both Sekhmet and Alabaster are going to run into the same basic problem; Vlad isn't exactly a solid just now. While freezing water around him is moderately more effective than simply grabbing ahold of him (as the localized sub-freezing temperatures have implications for his body, as well), neither do much more than moderately slow him down. Worse, as Vlad rolls over Sekhmet's arms, she'll see his body deform as necessary... but not change back, leaving him with a thick, trenchlike wound in his back.

And of course, he's still fleeing. Mostly by means of crawling.

[Brefaisil]

Marcie gets back to her job. The strings of force tighten around the goat-man, like he's being held in an invisible fist (although he can still probably push his way free with a great effort) and she goes to finish putting that headband on his head. At that point, it can begin breaking into the goat's mind, which is a fairly unpleasant sensation if you're not cooperating: a chill wrapping around his heart, eyes being pulled open despite already being open, the sound of nails dragged down a chalkboard, that sort of thing.
    "Who did you see?" It doesn't really matter to her what he tries to answer, as the question should bring the information near the front of his mind, visible to Marcie thanks to the gem.
    [Brefaisil]

(Scarcely minutes ago)

Gilbert the goatman sighs as he pipettes another few drops of the mixture in his bucket onto the cracked stonework of this ruined house. A vanity project, that's what this was. The population of Brefaisil was dwindling too much for housing to be a concern. The queen simply wanted this house to look undamaged... maybe in a few hundred years, someone would find the ruins of the city and she wanted a sense of grandeur, untouched by the ravages of their civilisation's death throes.

...It hardly matters. He's just glad to have something to do.

...Are those voices he hears outside?

The goatman stops and listens by the door as a pair of men approach, thus far unaware of his presence.

"...ust say, I do find it impressive that you got as far as you did, Seth." A deep, familiar voice chuckles. "If I hadn't come looking for you, who knows what you would have found?"

"You're not going to get away with this."

"Oh?" Braeg shrugs. "And why not? Here we are with no witnesses, and what's soon to follow is, so far as the rest of Maesda knows, an impossibility. Meanwhile, I've brought another fertility goddess to our world, saving us from an unenviable end. Why would anyone believe I'll have anything to do with your untimely demise."

"We all know you, and what malfeasance you're calable of. Someone will piece it together."

"Hm. Maybe. But soon enough to stop me? There's the real question. ...Ah, here we are. Any last words for posterity?"

"Absum curse you."

"...How unoriginal."

sqlch!

"Goodbye, Seth. Say hello to your brother for me."

Gilbert looks around the corner again just in time to see the fiendling Lord walking away, tossing something into a nearby alley before disappearing in a cloud of green smoke. There's no sign of his compani-

"Murder! There's been a murder!"

...Oh.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet sighs. "Sorry Vlad." She releases an unfocused blast of psychic power with only one purpose: knocking him out. If successful, it should stop him from hurting himself any further.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Pixie in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Alabaster will sort of blow vlad into the most anatomically correctish position he can, and will await orders. He has no clue what to do. Normally, clouds are gas and humans are solid.

17. - Top - End - #1307

[Scorching Depths]

plrk!

Is the sound of a squishy, human-shaped blob hitting the floor head(?)first. Vlad has not particular innate defense against psychic attack, and it seems unlikely Sekhmet couldn't get past any barriers the disguise may have installed on him.

But, with the unmoving flesh-blob sitting in front of her, babbling incoherently, Sekhmet might find herself questioning the wisdom of this approach.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

18. - Top - End - #1308

[Brefaisil]
    Spoiler: Previously, in Gilbert's memory...
    Show
    Gilbert the goatman sighs as he pipettes another few drops of the mixture in his bucket onto the cracked stonework of this ruined house. A vanity project, that's what this was. The population of Brefaisil was dwindling too much for housing to be a concern. The queen simply wanted this house to look undamaged... maybe in a few hundred years, someone would find the ruins of the city and she wanted a sense of grandeur, untouched by the ravages of their civilisation's death throes.

...It hardly matters. He's just glad to have something to do.

...Are those voices he hears outside?

The goatman stops and listens by the door as a pair of men approach, thus far unaware of his presence.

"...ust say, I do find it impressive that you got as far as you did, Seth." A deep, familiar voice chuckles. "If I hadn't come looking for you, who knows what you would have found?"

"You're not going to get away with this."

"Oh?" Braeg shrugs. "And why not? Here we are with no witnesses, and what's soon to follow is, so far as the rest of Maesda knows, an impossibility. Meanwhile, I've brought another fertility goddess to our world, saving us from an unenviable end. Why would anyone believe I'll have anything to do with your untimely demise."

"We all know you, and what malfeasance you're calable of. Someone will piece it together."

"Hm. Maybe. But soon enough to stop me? There's the real question. ...Ah, here we are. Any last words for posterity?"

"Absum curse you."

"...How unoriginal."

sqlch!

"Goodbye, Seth. Say hello to your brother for me."

Gilbert looks around the corner again just in time to see the fiendling Lord walking away, tossing something into a nearby alley before disappearing in a cloud of green smoke. There's no sign of his compani-

"Murder! There's been a murder!"

Oh. Yes. That particularly complicates things, doesn't it?
    Though the first thing that Marcie thinks is 'how does Inari keep finding people like this?'

Marcie takes the headband off of the goatman and carefully lowers him to the ground, whereupon the invisible threads release him.

This mostly raises further questions.
    Didn't Braeg lose his powers? Did opening the portal or Inari's intervention fix that for him? Or was that part of some bluff?
    Is he just taking advantage of all this to settle a score with Seth, or is there some larger plot?
    Does this represent him underestimating them, or is the situation here even worse than it had seemed?

She will be walking towards that alleyway, if she can.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #1309

[Brefaisil]

Thus released, Gilbert takes the first opportunity he gets to flee, for once grateful for the strigoi curse and its miraculous regenerative capabilities.

If Marcie follows the memory to the alley she'd seen, she's going to find it's the same one she found the partially-crystalized heart in. Braeg couldn't even be bothered to properly dispose of it; just throw it behind a building like a piece of trash. That earthy scent is still in the air, but fainter... it's had time to dissipate in her absence. Apart from that, it's exactly as she left it.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet was questioning her actions even before she blasted Vlad. Now she just looks guilty. She doesn't want to hurt him.

The door opens and Seam enters, carrying the pendant."You should have invested in some restraints." "Can you fix him?" Sekhmet asks, sounding exasperated with the enchantress' attitude. "Pour him into a mold and bake him into the right shape." "That's not good enough. Do we even have a life-sized mold of a person, let alone of him?" Seam sighs. Sekhmet continues, "Forget about resetting the disguise! Get it off him and get him back to his normal human self!" "I can't do that." "Why not!?" "As unstable as he is, I'm not sure I could restore him safely. I will reset the disguise so he has a solid form again, and then remove it." "Fine. Do it, before he gets any worse." Seam complies, touching the disguise amulet to Vlad's molten body and muttering some magic words. If successful, it should revert the succubus disguise back to its default state.
    Hopefully things haven't progressed too far out of hand.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #1311

[Brefaisil]
    Thus released, Gilbert takes the first opportunity he gets to flee, for once grateful for the strigoi curse and its miraculous regenerative capabilities.

If Marcie follows the memory to the alley she'd seen, she's going to find it's the same one she found the partially-crystalized heart in. Braeg couldn't even be bothered to properly dispose of it; just throw it behind a building like a piece of trash. That earthy scent is still in the air, but fainter... it's had time to dissipate in her absence. Apart from that, it's exactly as she left it.
    And that's all there is here, with Braeg having full-on disappeared like that.
    At least she'll recognize this scent when it crops up again.

Marcie now makes her way back to the big elevator, to head back down.
    Little rush with Seth dead and the killer gone...anywhere.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #1312

[Brefaisil]

Marcie will arrive at the lift just in time for it to finish its ascent, the bull-headed Lord she had been speaking with arriving with it. Gryffaf quietly surveys the crime scene, gives a little shake of his head, and starts in the direction of the palace, presumably to report what he saw.

Marcie still has other leads to chase down; Gweld Gorwel, communing with Absum, possibly even following up on Seth's investigation. Or she can attempt to persuade someone of what she saw, at the risk of failing due to lack of evidence. What's her plan now?
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-07-16 at 01:51 PM.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #1313

[Brefaisil]

Marcie is going to try to join Gryffaf on the way up to the palace.
    She does plan to persuade people of what she saw, but not yet. There isn't evidence, after all, though people likely believe badly enough of Braeg to accept it, in the right circumstances.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Pixie in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet was questioning her actions even before she blasted Vlad. Now she just looks guilty. She doesn't want to hurt him.

The door opens and Seam enters, carrying the pendant."You should have invested in some restraints." "Can you fix him?" Sekhmet asks, sounding exasperated with the enchantress' attitude. "Pour him into a mold and bake him into the right shape." "That's not good enough. Do we even have a life-sized mold of a person, let alone of him?" Seam sighs. Sekhmet continues, "Forget about resetting the disguise! Get it off him and get him back to his normal human self!" "I can't do that." "Why not!?" "As unstable as he is, I'm not sure I could restore him safely. I will reset the disguise so he has a solid form again, and then remove it." "Fine. Do it, before he gets any worse." Seam complies, touching the disguise amulet to Vlad's molten body and muttering some magic words. If successful, it should revert the succubus disguise back to its default state.
    Scorching Depths
    Alabaster will sit(?) in the corner, waiting for Vlad to begin functioning.
    Wait. I could be a mold, maybe. I saw him, and I can keep myself as ice no matter my actual temp. I could be baked with him.

25. - Top - End - #1315

Scorching Depths

Scorching Depths
    Alabaster will sit(?) in the corner, waiting for Vlad to begin functioning.
    Wait. I could be a mold, maybe. I saw him, and I can keep myself as ice no matter my actual temp. I could be baked with him.
    [Scorching Depths]

Fortunately for all concerned, Seam's plan with the amulet, while somewhat anticlimactic, does indeed result in succubus fond of punkwear laying on the floor, gasping and coughing. Vlad presses a hand to his sternum, looking up at Sekhmet and Seam warily. "...What just happened?" He groans, holding his head. "I was in New Berlin just a moment ago. No, wait... Tokyo, I think. Possibly Dubai. Point is, how'd I get from there to...? Ah, [heck], my head..."

[Brefaisil]

Marcie is going to try to join Gryffaf on the way up to the palace.
    She does plan to persuade people of what she saw, but not yet. There isn't evidence, after all, though people likely believe badly enough of Braeg to accept it, in the right circumstances.
    [Brefaisil]

Gryffaf certainly doesn't seem to be in any mood to stop her. And with him escorting her, the palace guards don't seem to object ti her presence much, either... not that they would, given she's actively trying to help them.

However, it's not until they're within the entryway to the keep that Gryffaf stops to ask the obvious question.

"...Wait, are we going to the same place?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #1316

[Brefaisil]

Marcie pauses long enough to answer-
    "Yes I do think so. So long as you're going to the palace to report this and speak with the queen, that is."

She starts walking again.
    "I came through here when I set out to speak to the city's Lords and Ladies, after all."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "We'll, uh, keep the mold idea on the back burner." Sekhmet replies. Useful to know it's actually an option. "Something happened and you suffered some, uh, severe side effects from the disguise." She reaches down to help Vlad to his feet. "It, uh, should be better now, but, uh, I'm having second thoughts about this arrangement. It's too risky."

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #1318

[Brefaisil]

Marcie pauses long enough to answer-
    "Yes I do think so. So long as you're going to the palace to report this and speak with the queen, that is."

She starts walking again.
    "I came through here when I set out to speak to the city's Lords and Ladies, after all."
    [Brefaisil]

After a long pause, Gryffaf gives a little nod, resuming his walk up to the throne room. There doesn't seem to be much call for small talk.

Of course, when they finally arrive, one of the guards quietly informs them both that court is not currently in session, and if they wish to see the queen, it will simply have to wait.

For about twelve days, give or take.

Gryffaf frowns and turns away, taking the stairs up to visit the queen in her chambers instead. If Marcie chooses to follow, she'll hear melancholy music drifting out to meet them as they approach, which might inform how she chooses to enter. If not, the guard plays a mean game of tiddlywinks. Evidently, he's had time to practice.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Pixie in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "We'll, uh, keep the mold idea on the back burner." Sekhmet replies. Useful to know it's actually an option. "Something happened and you suffered some, uh, severe side effects from the disguise." She reaches down to help Vlad to his feet. "It, uh, should be better now, but, uh, I'm having second thoughts about this arrangement. It's too risky."
    Scorching Depths
    Well, now that we know the dangers of whatever this is, is there a good way to prevent it next time?
    Alabaster is mildly disappointed in everyone in the room for not expecting this obvious issue, despite not knowing anything about really anything.

30. - Top - End - #1320

Scorching Depths
    Scorching Depths
    Well, now that we know the dangers of whatever this is, is there a good way to prevent it next time?
    Alabaster is mildly disappointed in everyone in the room for not expecting this obvious issue, despite not knowing anything about really anything.
    [Scorching Depths]

"...Did that cloud just talk?" Vlad asks, pointing at Alabaster with a skeptical expression on his face. It only lasts for a moment, though. "Wait... that's right, I remember now. Talking cloud. That's a thing down here." He turns his attentjon back to Sekhmet. "Man has a point, though. I mean, presumably keeping me away from demon essence will prevent this from happening again, but do we know that for sure? What if the stuff I've already touched has somehow damaged the... the um..." He makes a vague gesture at the amulet, counting on Sekhmet to fill in the appropriate terminology.

"...You're right, too. Continuing to wear the disguise is far too risky. I'll just have to be Vlad again. No more Vlatka. ...Remind me again how you turn this thing off?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]