New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside 3

1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 3

Scorching Depths
    No obvious illusions. No defenses. No traces of teleportation. The succubus went through here, but how?
    Braon will need to do a thorough search if she wants the answer.
    But will she search the vanity? The bed? The wardrobe? Somewhere else?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Scorching Depths]

The wardrobe seems like an obvious first pick; if the succubus left through a secret passage or something, it would have to be something accessible at a moment's notice.

Then, if she finds nothing, she'll consider the geometry of the room and where there would even be room for a passageway, and then search there. If she concludes that it's impossible or that there's nothing in those spots, she'll move on to the vanity, touching her fingers to the mirror's surface to test if it somehow linked into a magic passage, bracing herself for the inevitable trip through the looking glass if it was.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    The wardrobe is a good guess, but wrong. It's pretty solid and the back seems to be real.
    There are other rooms to the left and right, so there's only one wall that could really fit a secret passage. The bed and the vanity are both against that wall.
    So the vanity is a good place to check, even for a mechanical secret door. The mirror, much like the one in the other room, has runes scribed around its edges; when Braon touches it, a shiver of power runs its way up her arm. This mirror is certainly imbued with power, but not the power to transport as she might have expected.
    The mirror is a focus for a specific type of magic, as many of the mirrors in this part of the palace are. In the hands of a succubus or any other being with an innate ability to alter their appearance, it would make shapeshifting effortless and far more powerful. In anyone else's hands, if they could draw some of that power out with a little of their own, they could gain the same effect, but it would consume some of the power in the mirror; it could only be used that way a few times before shattering. How many depends on how magically powerful the wielder is.
    Unfortunately for Braon, that means it's probably not the key to the secret escape the succubus took.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #124

[Scorching Depths]

Not directly, at least.

Once Braon identifies the mirror, a whole new swathe of possibilities open up; depending on how extensively the mirror augments a succubus's shapeshifting abilities, the succubus could have left through means that wouldn't have been possible for someone of human size and shape. Or, for that matter, she could have simply vanished from sight by similar means.

But Braon wouldn't have an easy way of proving this theory. She'd really only have it to fall back on if every other solution failed.

So, she sets about examining the bed, and if that doesn't turn up a passage, re-examining the mirror on a mechanical level. If those both fail, she'll have to assume the succubus crawled through the woodwork.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Braon checks the bed.
    In the bed, nothing.
    Under the bed, however, is more promising. There's a hole down there. Large enough for someone to fit through easily, as long as they can slip below the bed. Looks like the mirror isn't necessary for Braon's pursuit.
    But then again, Sekhmet told Braon not to go to the lower floor. This hole would most likely take her there. Does she really want to risk the ire of the fiendish queen?

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #126

[Scorching Depths]

That's not even a factor in Braon's decision. If the succubus had any legitimate business down there, she wouldn't have felt the need to use a secret passageway. And she already got the impression this demoness didn't work for Sekhmet.

She was definitely up to something, Braon was sure of it. And she wasn't going to leave her alone until she found out what.

So, Braon opens the passage and makes her way down...

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    And so Braon descends.
    The room below is dark, fitted out as an alchemical laboratory. Bottles of weird liquids and complicated glass apparatus line shelves on the walls, and a thick, reinforced door is the only other exit other than the opening Braon dropped out of, which is above one of the tables.
    Again there's no obvious sign of the mystery succubus, but she must have passed through here.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #128

[Scorching Depths]

Well, this has the potential to dead-end quickly. Braon steps forward and tries the door; having already come through a secret passage to get here, she doubted it was locked, but if it was...

Wait. Damn.

She'd left the dagger upstairs. She'd have to get it open by some other means, if that was going to be a problem.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Orochi nods thoughtfully

"I see... That does explain a lot. There is an absolutely critical question to be answered now before I can advise you any further, so tell me: while you did not want this, do you want to pursue it now? Do you wish to be the ruler of the Burning Depths and change it to suit your personality?"

---

[Dho Chladach]

Inari nods

Thank you, Arottre.

Central control: reduce channel capacity to one-quarter standard and set flow to idle until avatar opertional state is above eighty-five percent or any non-maskable environmental interrupt.

And with that, she immediately takes on the glazed appearance of an Elf in their restful trance. The white fox pads over and curls up near her feet, curling her nine bushy tails into a large pile of white fluff

If any of you need anything before she wakes, please call or come to me first. My name is Yi.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    The door is unlocked. The hallway here is darker, narrower, and more forboding than the one upstairs. Braon might glimpse a barbed tail vanishing into another door at the very end of the hall.
    That door is solid stone, heavily banded in steel, and marked with threatening glyphs. Certainly, no one is supposed to open it.

Palace of Orochi
    "I don't have a choice. It was written into my name when I ascended the throne.
    But, uh, I do want it. To make it better. I don't know how."
    Sekhmet nervously answers.
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-09-30 at 10:32 PM.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #131

[Scorching Depths]

Braon frowns. Did she see that right? A barbed tail? That succubus didn't have one when they met, or at least, she hadn't noticed. Was she still following the same person? Into a room that was clearly off-limits to everyone?

There could be no doubt about it now. Braon had stumbled onto something sinister.

With that thought in her head, Braon approaches the door and apprehensively opens it.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Dho Chladach]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    "That was our scholars' theory as well." Seth nods to Inari. "To what purpose, I can't say I know. Nobody believed help would come, from amywhere."

He then turns his attention back to Atorre. "We don't know if it can spread. We simply woke up one morning... evening?... and the curse was in effect, on everyone, all at once. It took time to discover what had happened. And as for our humanity..." He turns back to Inari. "You may recall, when you first arrived, I accused you and Lord Braeg of trespassing on sacred ground. Sorry about that, by the way." He stoops and scoops some of the dirt at his feet, sifting it through his fingers. "That was not a lie. Dho Chladach seems to be... resilient, for lack of a better description. Those too strongly affected by the curse can't come here, and those who are here become less affected by the curse. Perhaps this is some remnant of Adea's power, or the labors of one of her Thamar children... regardless, it has been a relative haven for us, as the creatures which intrude on us have been only middlingly threatening... as opposed to the truly horrifying abominations further inland." He stops when he says this, seeming to realize what this meant about Atorre's proposal to go find Arnbaith. "...If you intend to speak with the king, I will go with you."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Inari nods

Thank you, Arottre.

Central control: reduce channel capacity to one-quarter standard and set flow to idle until avatar opertional state is above eighty-five percent or any non-maskable environmental interrupt.

And with that, she immediately takes on the glazed appearance of an Elf in their restful trance. The white fox pads over and curls up near her feet, curling her nine bushy tails into a large pile of white fluff

If any of you need anything before she wakes, please call or come to me first. My name is Yi.
    "Thank you, Yi." says one of the minions, who's currently unpacking the crates they floated in.

Hmm. Those who actually use Adea's power are powerless now, wasn't that the case? But maybe their works endured better.
    "All at once. How long ago was this?" And Seth will have to be watched for relapsing into vampiric hunger once outside the walls, that complicates things a little.

"Your company is welcomed." There's no hope Seth could explain every useful thing before going, without being there, after all.
    "I intend to travel along this vehicle of ours." Atorre Marcie gestures to a pallet where a pair of minions are unpacking a spindly machine with lots of blades and nozzles and a not-very-sturdy-looking seat. "A three-day journey should cost less than two hours, even in this sunless haze."

"By the time of your return, the village should be in better shape - enough of it for a dozen folks, anyway."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    All the succubi have barbed tails. It's not unusual here.
    Braon opens the door slowly to find some sort of shrine behind it. The circular room is dominated by an unholy altar in its center, but all the fixtures are gone. Metal slag and glassy igneous stone coat the floor of the room, as if some great fiery cataclysm took place there. The succubus she saw before is here, along with three others: one a towering amazon in makeshift armor, one sharply dressed in a modern business suit, and one with the lower body of a deer, her hair threaded with wilted flowers. They turn together as the door opens, but none seem alarmed. "Oh, hello there Braon. Did you change your mind about my offer?"

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Dho Chladach]

Inari nods

Thank you, Arottre.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Dho Chladach]

"Thank you, Yi." says one of the minions, who's currently unpacking the crates they floated in.

Hmm. Those who actually use Adea's power are powerless now, wasn't that the case? But maybe their works endured better.
    "All at once. How long ago was this?" And Seth will have to be watched for relapsing into vampiric hunger once outside the walls, that complicates things a little.

"Your company is welcomed." There's no hope Seth could explain every useful thing before going, without being there, after all.
    "I intend to travel along this vehicle of ours." Atorre Marcie gestures to a pallet where a pair of minions are unpacking a spindly machine with lots of blades and nozzles and a not-very-sturdy-looking seat. "A three-day journey should cost less than two hours, even in this sunless haze."

"By the time of your return, the village should be in better shape - enough of it for a dozen folks, anyway."
    [Dho Chladach]

"It's difficult to tell for sure." Seth says, in response to being asked how long ago the curse took effect. "It feels like it must have been years, but without any distinction from one hour, day, or season to the next, tracking the time has been difficult." Although Inari will know from Braeg that it's been like this for around a decade.

"We can leave for Brefaisil whenever you're ready."

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Scorching Depths
    All the succubi have barbed tails. It's not unusual here.
    Braon opens the door slowly to find some sort of shrine behind it. The circular room is dominated by an unholy altar in its center, but all the fixtures are gone. Metal slag and glassy igneous stone coat the floor of the room, as if some great fiery cataclysm took place there. The succubus she saw before is here, along with three others: one a towering amazon in makeshift armor, one sharply dressed in a modern business suit, and one with the lower body of a deer, her hair threaded with wilted flowers. They turn together as the door opens, but none seem alarmed. "Oh, hello there Braon. Did you change your mind about my offer?"
    [Scorching Depths]

Uh-oh. Braon had been expecting to maybe run into the succubus alone, if this door was indeed a dead end. She hadn't counted on suddenly being outnumbered four to one. She internally berates herself for being so careless, but thankfully, can transition into this unexpected scenario more-or-less seamlessly, thanks to the caped succubus's prompting. "...You could say that." Braon says, crossing her arms. "I think I might have been a bit... abrupt, in my dismissal. I wanted to see what exactly your proposal entailed."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-06 at 07:01 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Oh, it's really quite simple. We were all mortal once. If you pledge yourself to our sisterhood, we can perform a ritual on you. You get immortality, youth, beauty, power, anything you could wish for. All we want in return is a few small services on our behalf, against a mutual nemesis." The four succubi watch Braon to see her reaction with varying degrees of interest.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #136

[Scorching Depths]

Braon strokes her chin in thought. "It's certainly a tempting offer. By design, I'm sure. But... a little vague on the details. Exactly how do you intend to make me beautiful? How young will I appear to be? What sorts of powers are we talking about? And which nemesis do we have in common?" She buffets them with questions, most of them trivial, but that last one hopefully confirming what she already suspects.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    The tauric succubus makes a tsk-tsk sound, but the other one nods understandingly. "Once you are one of us, you could make yourself as young and beautiful as you wish." As she says this, her appearance changes, first to a young child, then to a wizened crone, then back to her first appearance, all seamlessly. She smiles a sickly-sweet grin. "As for our enemy, I think you know. You don't really think the Queen will let you go free, do you?"

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #138

[Scorching Depths]

Braon scoffs. "Do I look like I was born yesterday?" She chuckles. "Of course she isn't going to let me go. That would defeat the purpose of taking me in the first place, wouldn't it?" She sidles up next to the tauric succubus and gives her a little smirk. "Which really just begs the question... how do you propose to get me out of here?"

Not that it mattered. She already resolved not to take this deal. And now that she'd stumbled on their little cabal, the odds that they were going to just let her leave were practically nonexistent. She had a trick for this, of course... but it really required that she hate them. Like, a lot. And for the life of her, she just didn't yet.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "When you're as old as I am, yes. You were born yesterday, and she's even older than me." The first succubus points dismissively at the amazon succubus, then to the other two. "48? 22? They're practically babies." The suited one is 48, the 'taur is 22, at least according to the speaker. None of them look over 25.
    "The way out is relatively simple. There is a portal. The queen thinks it's a closely guarded secret between her and her highest minions. But even if you knew where it was, you couldn't reach it, not as you are. It's beneath a river of lava out in the wastelands."

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #140

[Scorching Depths]

Well. That was genuinely useful information. But Braon could potentially handle a lava river, with the right enchantment. She'd just need to know where it was.

Which these succubi weren't likely to tell her.

"...Supposing for a moment this is all true, and I decide to help you." Braon says, crossing her arms. "I would assume the ultimate end goal is to remove Her Lowness from power... one way or another, correct?" She draws a finger across her throat, emphasizing one particular method she seemed to find appealing. "What happens afterwards?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Oh, no. Without her, everything would be so much worse," the succubus replies with disdain. "But we could make her a better queen. She's one of us, after all. But she's buried that part of herself so deeply to live a life of chastity." That last word is spoken with so much disgust and venom that the air runs cold for a moment.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #142

[Scorching Depths]

Braon stares at the offending succubus in disblief for a moment. She seemed to be gauging whether she was being sincere or not, and for a moment, it looked as though the conclusion she arrived at was "no".

Then she bursts out laughing, wrapping her arms around the two nearest succubi.

"Well, why didn't you freaking lead with that?!" Braon cackles. "You made it sound like... oh, you three got me good!" She snickers and gives the girls in her arms some affectionate head-rubs. "Of course I'll help you with that! The queen could use a lot less... more? Less. Less stuffing in her shirt." Braon smiles and lets her laughter die out. "Just... I'm still going to have to turn down actually becoming a succubus, though. If nothing else, she'll get suspicious if she sees that happen."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    There are laughing and some hugs around. "Excellent! She'd never loosen up on her own, of course. She doesn't know what she's missing, growing up among mortals, especially stuffy ones like she did." She smiles, much more genuinely than before. "But a being like her has many names, and with the right magic we can call one of them to the forefront. Done right, she wouldn't even realize that anything was different!" Name magic is a dark and forbidden magic, even among fiends, but Braon wouldn't know that. "We would need certain materials for the ritual, that's the problem. But she has a personal interest in you, maybe you could get them?"

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #144

[Scorching Depths]

"Shouldn't be a problem. I-" Braon stops as the details of what the succubus just said sink in. They wanted Braon's help because Sekhmet took a personal interest in her. They needed Braon to gather certain materials which were, in all likelihood, also personal. And given exactly what the succubi were trying to do...

"...Sweet Adea, you're about to send me on a panty raid, aren't you?" Braon grumbles.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    The succubus giggles. "I like that idea, but it's not that simple. We need a bit of her magic. Not much, just enough for me to work with." She looks like she's thinking a little. "If she cast a hex on you, or you brought me an object she conjured, that would be enough." She nods. "You can meet me in the old harem when you have it, and then we can get to work on teaching that prude how to have a good time." The three younger succubi share a laugh, but the amazon remains stoic. It's hard to say what she's thinking at all.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #146

[Scorching Depths]

Braon mulls this over for a moment. "...That doesn't sound so hard. I think I have an idea or two for how to get her to hex me. I'm probably going to need to bail immediately, though. And she's going to be mad." Braon shrugs. "And I'll probably end up with every guard in the palace on my butt. So... just be ready to go is what I'm saying."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "I don't like that. We wouldn't get to see the results of our work!" The succubus laughs a little, but doesn't seem happy. "If you could do it a bit more subtly, that would be better. Much better." "We don't want to be run out of the palace." "This is the most powerful shrine in the Kingdom, created by the previous Queen to be an incubator for her daughter's power. If we want to fix her attitude, this is the best place to do it."

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #148

[Scorching Depths]

"Okay, okay, fine." Braon sighs and runs a hand through her hair. "We'll save that plan for another time, then."

Which was a shame. She really wanted to punch Sekhmet in the face.

"Maybe I can coax her into conjuring something, then. I'll have to think of something." She frowns and examines the ritual room. "It's not time-sensitive or anything, right?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "No, take as long as you like. None of us will die of old age!" The succubus jokes. "But she should be holding court soon. You should hurry along; if someone catches you down here you might not be allowed to roam anymore." She nods. "We can make the Queen of Succubi who she ought to be, with your help. She's really quite shameful."

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #150

[Scorching Depths]

"Holding court already? I was under the impression they were less frequent than that." Braon shrugs and makes her way to the door. "Okay, then. I'll go straight there. You four just wait; I'll have this done in no time."

And with that, she returns to the courtyard, assuming nothing goes wrong between here and there.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]