New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside 3

1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 3

[Pilgrim's Way]

Braon gives Sekhmet a horrified and incredulous look. Did... did she just threaten this monster? Is she insane?! It could probably chew them both up in seconds! It probably would chew them both up if pushed too far! It certainly sounded like it wanted to!

"It bargainsss." The creature cackles, a horrible sound that might remind Sekhmet of someone burning alive. "You amusse uss, tiny morssel. Perhapss we will eat you lasst."

From the next street over, another creature rises in the dark. At least, it looks to be, until its "head" is over the street, spreading out wide into a set of five massive, boney fingers, two of which pinch Braon's cloak between them and lift her into the air.

"Wait! You want amusing I can give you amusing!" Braon calls, desperately trying to unclasp her cloak. "Um... um... how many fiendlings does it take to change a lightbulb?! No? Sekhmet, help!"
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Pilgrim's Way
    "Pity." Sekhmet replies, and then, with a wave of her hand, the orb of flame that she had been using for light turns into a massive flaming blade which slashes at the gigantic creature's wrist. "We could have done without the violence." She moves, not away from the monster, but towards it, making it clear she's not about to back down.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #243

[Pilgrim's Way]

The horrid beast lets out a surprised hiss as Sekhmet's fireblade slashes at it, causing it to release Braon.

"It ussess powerss lik-ke the Masster'ss..." The creature muses, as Braon shuffles back toward Sekhmet. "Perhapss... perhapss it c-can bargain with uss, yess?" The creature's massive head approaches Sekhmet, curling around on a boney but entirely-too-long neck as it looks her over again. "The Masster hass promissed us a feasst, FEEAASSSST! But c-can thiss morssel offer uss more?" The creature's tongue clicks impatiently against its teeth as it awaits a reply.

Braon shivers and steps away, back toward Sekhmet. "I don't know that we can outrun this thing, let alone kill it... what's the plan?" She whispers.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Pilgrim's Way
    "And who is your master?" Sekhmet asks. It doesn't seem too clever. No sudden movements, I can handle it. She sends silently to Braon. At the same time, she subtly begins reaching out with psychic power towards the mind of the creature, probing its surface thoughts, but also searching for weaknesses that could get her deeper into its mind.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #245

[Pilgrim's Way]

"He iss the Great Decciever." The creature hisses. "He who sswallowss godss and sstealss away the sstarss, the Ssire of Basstardss and Father of Thievess. We dare not speak-k hiss name, for hiss wrath alone iss all we fear."

On touching the creature's mind, Sekhmet will be treated to a truly deafening cacophony of white noise, with no clear pattern of thought emerging from the chaos. Either it knew how to shield its mind from probing, or its thinking is so alien that it simply can't be understood.

Braon nods and hides behind Sekhmet again, nervously glancing around for any sign of the creature's other limbs. With as big as it seemed to be, they could come from anywhere.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-27 at 07:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Pilgrim's Way
    It's shielded. That's bothersome. Given time and access to her full power, Sekhmet could probably break through anyway, but while also protecting her body and Braon? Unlikely. "Oh yes, of course. When we meet with him, we can tell him what a good job you're doing," Sekhmet lies. She has no intention of visiting what is obviously a local ruler of unpleasant creatures (although if she did, she could hopefully negotiate on equal footing given her position), but it could be a valuable bluff. Hopefully Braon doesn't say anything that gives it away.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #247

[Pilgrim's Way]

"You are here to ssee the Masster?" The creature inquires. It rolls its head around them, sniffing at the pair tentatively. "Yess... a touch of my Masster on each of you. My apologiess. If you wissh, I will tak-ke you to ssee him immediately." The creature lowers its massive hand, setting it palm-up for the two of them to stand on.

Braon, for her part, is understandably reluctant to walk onto the hand of an undead kaiju that was trying to eat her less than a minute ago. She looks over at Sekhmet worriedly, not sure how she intended to proceed from here.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-27 at 11:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Pilgrim's Way
    No doubt Sekhmet shocks Braon by stepping onto the hand without trepidation. "If you would be so kind, that would be very helpful of you." She reaches out a hand to help her companion up.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #249

[Pilgrim's Way]

Braon grimaces, expecting an immediate, treacherous response from the creature, but relaxes a little when none occurs. A little more hesitantly, she steps onto the monster's palm, which lifts them both into the air.

And it's there that the treacherous response occurs.

As soon as it has the both of them, the creature raises its hand over its mouth and upturns it, dropping the fiendling and Sekhmet down toward its gaping maw, throat-rings of teeth pulsating invitingly at the prospect of the meal.

If Braon wasn't screaming at the prospect of both falling to her death and being eaten alive, she'd be throwing an "I told you so" Sekhmet's way, even though she technically didn't.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

d6 Re: Planeside 3

Pilgrim's Way
    That was rather expected.
    But also from Sekhmet's perspective, pointless. She has wings, she can fly. She's in no danger of falling into the creature's mouth. But Braon... She considers letting Braon fall to her death for a moment, but that would be rather evil, wouldn't it? She swoops down a moment later to catch the plummeting fiendling and carry her to safety away from the monster. After that, she has no intent to stick around if she can help it.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #251

[Pilgrim's Way]

Seeing Sekhmet take flight (well, glide into flight, since she's already in the air), the creature attempts to seize her again, swiping at her with one if its massive hands. Fortunately, as anyone who has ever tried to catch a fly that way knows, it's much easier said than done.

When Sekhmet and Braon hit the ground, the latter wastes no time breaking into a run. This thing likely wasn't going to parley again, and even if it did, it'd probably just be a prelude to trying to eat them again. The way she saw it, their best chance was trying to get away, as quickly as they could.

Hopefully, that was extremely quick, because as the monster pushes itself up with its exposed hand, it reveals three more, splayed out over several blocks, dropping debris on the city below as it draws itself up into a standing position. It could probably catch up to them by dint of its gait alone.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Pilgrim's Way
    Sekhmet readies herself to use magic as they run. "Keep running, I'll get us out of here!" She extends her power ahead of them and tears open a rift in reality, a portal back to her home realm.
    Braon might have reservations about going back there though.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #253

[Pilgrim's Way]

Braon has more reservations about staying within grabbing range of that thing. As soon as the portal's open, she runs straight for it; Sekhmet's domain was many things, but at least she didn't seem set on dining on minced fiendling.

The creature, now fully upright, reaches for the pair as they cross the portal's threshold, not content to give up the chase just because its quarry was heading to another plane of existence. If Sekhmet's portal is the kind that can be physically held open, that might present a problem.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Pilgrim's Way -> Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet enters the portal just behind Braon, and the monster's hand behind her. The fiendish queen whirls on her feet, and defiantly closes her fist.
    The portal snaps shut, proving that its edges are quite sharp indeed.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #255

[Scorching Depths]

Sekhmet will be able to hear the creature's muffled shriek as the portal closes, leaving a massive, dessicated hand in the middle of... wherever they'd actually landed. Hopefully nowhere the sudden presence of a massive hand was going to be an issue.

Braon just stands there, looking on past the now-useless hand in a thousand-yard stare, breathing heavily. She wasn't really entirely sure how to respond to all of that, now that it was over.

Oh, wait. Here comes an impulse now.

Braon turns to Sekhmet, grabs ahold of her garments where she can, and plants a kiss straight on the demon queen's lips. Sheer relief that she's alive is not a common feeling for her these days, and Sekhmet was clearly responsible for that. Though she's probably going to regret this in the next ten seconds, of its own merits even if Sekhmet doesn't do anything.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    The throne room is at least large enough for the hand to fit. But it does make a mess.
    Sekhmet seems rather surprised by Braon's reaction. She gently pushes the fiendling off of her and gives her a pointed, disapproving look. "Guards!" She calls. Some appear a moment later. "Take this away and throw it in the river."

She points to the severed hand.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #257

[Scorching Depths]

Braon pulls away from Sekhmet and makes a face. Not quite a disgusted face, more... shocked and embarrassed, really. "That never happened." She says quickly, wiping her mouth on her sleeve. "We left, we came back, and that's it. We agreed on that?"

The hand, thankfully, does not appear to be animate and does not resist any attempts at disposal. Good thing, too, because it's still pretty heavy and would presumably be a little difficult to wrangle if it did move.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Agreed." Sekhmet agrees. Not speaking of that ever again. She'll try to forget it.
    Except someone won't let her. Slinking out of the shadows is someone Braon recognizes, and apparently Sekhmet does too. "Is that it? Here I was hoping my queen would show some proper interest in someone other than her boring husband." "Erzsébet. Didn't I banish you?" "You know me, my queen. You can never keep me away for long."

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #259

[Scorching Depths]

Braon glances between the two of them confusedly, recognizing her conspirator but not quite grasping why she was here. "Well, geez, lady, if she banished you, why would you show up now? You're not here just to announce that you can come back whenever you want..."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "What? Can't a succubus visit her old home in peace?" Sekhmet glares at Erzsébet icily. "Don't mind me, I'm just here to spy on your dealings and see if I can profit from it. And..." the succubus saunters up to Sekhmet, who looks on with confusion, "...I can." Lightning quick, she reaches up and closes her hand around Sekhmet's ponytail, then yanks hard. A clump of metallic black hair comes away in her hand. "Thanks for getting her off balance for me, Braon! Now I have to run, bye!" She takes off out the door, blowing the pair a kiss as she leaves.
    Sekhmet snaps out of her bewilderment a moment later. "My hair! Give that back!" She sprints after the fleeing succubus.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #261

[Scorching Depths]

Did she just-

Braon scowls. No. Absolutely freaking not. Sekhmet saved her life several times in the past half hour. She gets at least a small grace period before they start fighting again. Besides, that succubus tasked her with getting the necessary materials; showing her up now was just rude. But mostly, she had some pent-up frustration at being left helpless for so long, both here in Sekhmet's domain and back on Pilgrim's Way. So now that she can do something, without Sekhmet trying to stop her, she absolutely will.

Braon raises her hand, summoning this anger and frustration and preparing to channel it into the offending succubus... before realizing that probably won't accomplish much. A minor hex at most. Then another thought occurs to her. She turns her attention to the hair the succubus stole and channels her white-hot rage into that, likely igniting it, but more importantly, almost certainly tainting it for any ritual use.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    The hair in Erszébet's hand immediately turns white and brittle. She glances at it, tosses it away, and keeps running.
    She can't outpace Sekhmet in her warrior form though. (She probably could, were Sekhmet manifesting a different Name, but Resyr Lotaka is a physical paragon.) The fiendish queen's hand closes around the succubus's tail and yanks her backwards off her feet. "Just what were you planning to do with that hair?" The prisoner remains silent.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #263

[Scorching Depths]

"Something something call one of your other names forward something." Braon helpfully elaborates, walking up to the two of them. "That's what she told me, at any rate." She gives the succubus an annoyed scowl, shaking her head disapprovingly. "Oh, and while we're on the subject, consider our partnership dissolved. It took some poking, but you know what? I think I'm finally starting to like this Sekhmet. So take your blasted name-changing ritual and shove it."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet gives Braon a look of what appears to be grudging respect. "You should know better to meddle in magic forbidden even by our kind, Erszébet. I think this time I'll banish you somewhere you can't come back from. But I won't decide... Yet." A truly menacing look comes over Sekhmet's face. "You wanted to make sure the Queen of Succubi was in control? She can decide your fate."
    Sekhmet takes a breath and changes again, her warrior aspect vanishing to be replaced by something else. A seductive, yet dangerous smile spreads across her face. Her figure shifts, her armor changes to a tight-fitting, very low-cut dress, her ponytail pops out into a flowing mane of hair. She laughs melodically. "Oh, this feels good, to just let go. But as for you..." The succubus queen looks threateningly at Erzsébet, "Oh, ha ha ha ha! I know exactly how to punish you! I'll send you to the mortal world!" Normally, this sounds like something a demon would want. But Erszébet's expression is panicked. "Without an anchor, I'll... You wouldn't..." "The Sekhmet you knew before wouldn't. But didn't you want a Sekhmet more like her mother?" A portal opens. "You'd better find a host body fast, Erszébet." The succubus is pitched through into somewhere in Inside, her body visibly disintegrating as she passes through. Then the new version of Sekhmet turns on her heels and regards Braon. "Whew." She sighs.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #265

[Scorching Depths]

Braon similarly regards this new version of Sekhmet, slack-jawed and more than a little frightened by what she just saw. If she understood it right, she just witnessed what was more or less a death sentence, with the offending succubus convicted and thrown to earth in under a minute. "Holy... that's what she wanted to pull out of you?!" Braon shudders. She was under the impression this version of Sekhmet would be, at most, a little less tightly-wound, and perhaps a little easier for her, personally, to talk to. Not... this.

Braon stumbles back, suddenly keenly aware that there was nothing stopping Sekhmet from doing the same kind of thing to her, and that she'd just admitted to collaborating with the succubus who just got banished. "S-stay back!" She stammers, her hands going up into a ready position. "Don't you come near me!"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Relax, Braon." Sekhmet doesn't advance on the fiendling. "It's what she wanted, but not how she wanted it. She didn't know what she was asking for." She glances down at herself. "It feels strange, to be like this. Yet so completely natural." She doesn't seem like she intends to change back yet. "Just a moment ago, I would have been mortified to be dressed like this." She seems to be approaching this metamorphosis with scientific curiosity. "I knew that focusing my names would change the way I think, but I didn't realize it would feel so good to be someone else for a change." It felt good to be a warrior queen too, but in a different way.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #267

[Scorching Depths]

Braon doesn't appear overly comforted by this. Where she's from, having multiple personas is usually either an indicator of duplicity or insanity, sometimes both. And Sekhmet seemed to have doubled up on it, whatever it was. And Sekhmet's words didn't change the fact that she still just threw someone into an interdimensional mincer.

But then, a thought occurs. If Sekhmet's behavior now was a result of bringing another persona to the front, maybe she could be coaxed down from it by appealing to another part of her nature. Thankfully, Braon had recently discovered a way of doing that.

Braon takes a shuddering little breath and steps back, picturing that oversized cloak around her and the heavy footfalls of her father's killer stalking the cabin. She might not like internally reliving this moment, but it was the only thing she knew resonated with the demon queen.

"...Please stop. You're scaring me." She whispers, letting that fear filter into her words.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Sekhmet isn't reading Braon's mind right now, so the mental image doesn't do much. But the words. The fiendish queen regards Braon coolly, but something behind her eyes seems to react to the fiendling's frightened plea. Her exaggerated figure diminishes, her dress spreads down her legs and up her chest, and in a moment, she's returned to the form she had when Braon first encountered her on her throne. "Uh, Braon, are you all right?" She looks as uncomfortable with what just happened as Braon.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #269

[Scorching Depths]

Well, of course she's not.

But Braon puts on a shaky, half-sincere smile anyway. "...Better." She concedes. "That was just... surprisingly brutal." Seeing Sekhmet shift through three different forms in as many minutes probably wasn't helping her comprehension of the subject, either.

Then again, Sekhmet in general had left her incredibly confused. During their first encounter, she seemed to have all the confidence of a rain-soaked kitten. Then she got borderline murderous when Braon mentioned her raid. Then she brought Braon to a literal hellscape, both to heal and imprison her, when she brought back the demon queen's father, unprompted. Now suddenly she sympathized with her?

A psychologically healthy person could probably sort that all out. But to Braon, Sekhmet's motives were still frighteningly opaque. At least she had something to fall back on now if things ever got too weird.

...Though come to think of it, she might be able to figure out her captor a little better if she just asked her about herself.

"...Why did you help me?"
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-29 at 12:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Uh, yeah. It was. I, uh, I'm not sure how I did that." The later question gives Sekhmet pause.
    "Uh, honestly? I don't know. Something in me, uh, said I should." She hates to see people, children especially, hurt. Including Braon's past self.

My Nexus characters