A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Whatís better than a hyperdrive for intergalactic travel?

A preface: under the old EU, hyperdrive couldn't be used within the gravity well of a star, it simply doesn't operate because gravity wells either automatically shut it down or shred the system, presumably because the nearby presence of a significant gravitational mass has an effect on how the hyperdrive works.

The Void Drive is just the hyperdrive done bigger and with a correspondingly bigger drawback. It functions on a similar principle to the hyperdrive, but because its jump range is much greater, its sensitivity to nearby gravitic masses is correspondingly stronger. As in, within the galaxy proper, it's not just the gravity well of the nearest star that keeps it from operating, it's the ever-so-faint pull of the entire galactic core that critically interferes with the drive's functioning. The Void Drive only works in the Outer Rim because the gravitic distortion is faint enough that the Drive can generate its own, cataclysmically-large gravitic mass to punch through to hyperspace at a much greater speed.

Also explains why you can't use it around populated areas: every time you turn the damn thing on you come close to generating a black hole singularity. The Void Drive then uses the sheer power of the singularity to energise the breach of lightspeed at suitably Gone To Plaid rates.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's a fair thought. It's definitely how I was introduced to Star Wars.

Though all the other stuff about movies having stuff edited into them or being altered due to damage (which I'm reading as "in the theater's projection booth") is.... really out there. Surprised I didn't catch onto that before. Unless I'm completely mistaken and it's not supposed to be projection booth but rather the production company's editing room.

ETA: Also, back to the actual topic, Maximum, I have a question that I actually would like an answer to, if you can. How much of the story have you written so far?
    They've been posting threads in this vein for over 4 years, so probably not much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    They've been posting threads in this vein for over 4 years, so probably not much...
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm trying to get around to. Researching before writing a story (or even crowd-sourcing before writing a story) is perfectly understandable to a point. If nothing has been written, then I think that point may have sailed past a long time ago.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Only sorcerers/favored souls etc get to always use every spell they know.
    All five of them, that is.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    A preface: under the old EU, hyperdrive couldn't be used within the gravity well of a star, it simply doesn't operate because gravity wells either automatically shut it down or shred the system, presumably because the nearby presence of a significant gravitational mass has an effect on how the hyperdrive works.

The Void Drive is just the hyperdrive done bigger and with a correspondingly bigger drawback. It functions on a similar principle to the hyperdrive, but because its jump range is much greater, its sensitivity to nearby gravitic masses is correspondingly stronger. As in, within the galaxy proper, it's not just the gravity well of the nearest star that keeps it from operating, it's the ever-so-faint pull of the entire galactic core that critically interferes with the drive's functioning. The Void Drive only works in the Outer Rim because the gravitic distortion is faint enough that the Drive can generate its own, cataclysmically-large gravitic mass to punch through to hyperspace at a much greater speed.

Also explains why you can't use it around populated areas: every time you turn the damn thing on you come close to generating a black hole singularity. The Void Drive then uses the sheer power of the singularity to energise the breach of lightspeed at suitably Gone To Plaid rates.
    This must have been written before the discovery of dark matter, the galactic gravity well extends well beyond the outer rim of the stars, for some galaxies it's more than the diameter of the galaxy.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal