New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Darths & Droids VI: Thread title will appear here when received

To be a bit of a pedant:

When you think about it, milk is one of the extremely few animal products that is produced for the purpose of being eaten. Its evolutionary role is to provide nutrition to young animals. Honey could also fall into this category, being produced by bees specifically to serve as food.
    I think nectar and, to some extent (and not always), fruit would apply too. AFAIK, nectar is there to lure insects and birds so they'll pollinate, and most fruit is also there to be eaten by animals who will then drop or poop out the seeds to plant them away from the parent tree.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    To be a bit of a pedant:

I think nectar and, to some extent (and not always), fruit would apply too. AFAIK, nectar is there to lure insects and birds so they'll pollinate, and most fruit is also there to be eaten by animals who will then drop or poop out the seeds to plant them away from the parent tree.
    Yeah, but nectar and fruit are plant products, not animal products.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #543

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Yeah, but nectar and fruit are plant products, not animal products.
    Ow I suppose failing to notice some crucial detail that makes me look like an ass is on-brand for someone out to correct others. So I'll just take the L.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As someone who has facial hair that sometimes gets a bit unkempt like Luke's, I can confirm that hair absorbs liquids and one often needs to wipe off one's face after drinking anything from an open container.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ow I suppose failing to notice some crucial detail that makes me look like an ass is on-brand for someone out to correct others. So I'll just take the L.
    In fairness, their first paragraph was about how all food is from living things, and it's only in the second paragraph that they narrow it down to animal products specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

6. - Top - End - #546
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode VIII
    Show
    Dang Mem's commentary...so close before saying it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Star Wars would do.

7. - Top - End - #547

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    Show
    Dang Mem's commentary...so close before saying it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Star Wars would do.
    Show
    I think memnarch is slowly catching on to what this movie is, and (in part) why it's so divisive, as it's about as un-Star-Wars as a main-line Star Wars movie gets.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Yeah, compared to the film this makes complete sense. The Last Jedi tried too hard to be subversive, and thus built very little of it's own.

I still prefer it to tRoS, but that's mostly because the ending is satisfying, if depressing. The heroes have lost, the rebellion is defeated, and the First Order is implied to be in the process of annexing the remnants of the New Republic. Even Poe's final speech just goes to show that he's basically learnt nothing. The heroes failed to grow and overcome their flaws in time, whereas Kylo Ren made an actual step on his chosen road and reaps the rewards. The Dark is on the rise again Light only being a temporary respite.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Ep 8
    Show

I kinda feel like TLJ promised to be subversive, but ultimately choked on actually following through. For all of Kylo Ren's talk about burying the past, he backstabs his master and seizes power exactly like a good little Sith apprentice should. Luke burns the books, but Rey still behaves as a Jedi in all but name. Subverting the 'only Skywalkers and Solos matter in this universe' trope was all he really tried to do, and that got snatched back in ROS. Heck, it even gave us a siege battle on a ice salt planet as the climactic scene - at least ROS didn't insist on having the final battle be on a jungle world.

Somewhere in an alternative universe, Kylo accepted his good impulses walked away from the Sith, Rey accepted her dark urges and abandoned the Jedi, and both of them went looking for a genuine third option that didn't lock the galaxy into the same tired struggle over and over again.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2023-03-09 at 09:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler: Ep 8
    Show
    Heck, it even gave us a siege battle on a ice salt planet as the climactic scene - at least ROS didn't insist on having the final battle be on a jungle world.
    Spoiler: Ep. 8
    Show
    The dude randomly tasting the ground and commenting that it's salt just to make it clear that it's not another ice planet like Hoth was a funny touch, in context.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Orc in the Playground

It's not a very good helmet, is it? Was it not intended to be used as armor?

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    It's not a very good helmet, is it? Was it not intended to be used as armor?
    Pretty sure it was intended to evoke Darth Vader. It being a cheap knock-off of poor quality is rather on point.

Then again, it's also true that the Force can make someone superhumanly fast, so why not superhumanly strong?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Also, armor in Star Wars can often be of, shall we say, uneven quality, and even when it is of good quality, it is likely not designed with kinetic impacts in mind.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thumbs up Re: Darths & Droids VI: Thread title will appear here when received

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had the opposite reaction. Snoke always felt like a knockoff Palpatine, so when Ren killed him I got really interested all of a sudden. It was a shocking twist that they really could have done something with if they had followed up on it properly. Both Kylo Ren and Snoke mirrored characters from the OT, with Ren being Darth Vader and Snoke being Palpatine. Kylo Ren wanted to be Darth Vader, but lacked the maturity and self control of his grandfather. He was a pale shadow of Vader...right up until he did something Vader never could by killing his Sith master. Snoke became a really cool character by dying when he did to further Kylo Ren's storyline.

Then they threw all that character development away by bringing Palpatine back and reverting Ren back to his TFA characterization.
    I feel the same way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the end of tLJ , we had this great setup where Ren has won. He's got everything he thought he wanted. Snoke is dead, and the First Order answers to him. The RebelsResistance are defeated and fleeing.

I was looking forward to a Star Wars where one of the stories was the Dragon who turned to the Dark Side getting his triumphant victory, and seeing how he dealt with that. I expected him to either realize it really meant nothing to him, or to go mad with power.

Instead we got a giant reset button, where he goes back to being a Dragon (terrible characterization) and his story was just a replay of Vader's. Sure, there were a few differet notes, but it was the same theme. It was such a waste.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Sequels
    Show

I actually ran across a blog post the other day - by the same guy who invented the Machete Order - and he brought up an interesting point.

https://www.rodhilton.com/2015/12/28...pdate-and-faq/

Scroll down to Is Machete Order Still Relevant, but the gist is that in the Disney Era, the original and prequel trilogies becomes less and less relevant. The Sequel trilogies imitated so much of the original trilogy's trappings not simply out of nostalgia, but with specific design to be the introduction to Star Wars for people who've never seen the originals or prequels. And by cutting all remaining ties to the story of the original by the end of IX, it removes the need to ever watch them. The same thing will happen to VII-IX when XV-XVIII come out, and so down the line until Star Wars finally stops being profitable. Which might be Ep 10, but the principle stands true regardless.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Firbolg in the Playground

Responding to the commentary:
    there's no way Leia would be a traitor
    But she was married to Han, who was the traitor in the original trilogy, so I couldn't put it passed her.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Wait a moment is this the scene where
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pete sees Sally topless?

Here's hoping it doesn't lead to anything inappropriate.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Wait a moment is this the scene where
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pete sees Sally topless?

Here's hoping it doesn't lead to anything inappropriate.
    No, that's way later.
    Show
    The first Force-skype establishes the mechanics of it and has Kylo be fixing his face. I believe she catches him topless only after Luke's told her his first version of the destruction of the school.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No, that's way later.
    Show
    The first Force-skype establishes the mechanics of it and has Kylo be fixing his face. I believe she catches him topless only after Luke's told her his first version of the destruction of the school.
    Oh yeah.

Don't you just hate all these new powers the ST introduced. I can't wait for Memnarch to learn what Force Vibrate is used for in E9.

Show

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah.

Don't you just hate all these new powers the ST introduced. I can't wait for Memnarch to learn what Force Vibrate is used for in E9.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mean, the powers that were already introduced in Legends? Those powers?
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You mean, the powers that were already introduced in Legends? Those powers?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you think if ilI thought it was an actual thing I'd have put it outside of spoiler tags?

Plus I was mostly just making an immature masturbation joke.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2023-04-02 at 06:59 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you think if ilI thought it was an actual thing I'd have put it outside of spoiler tags?

Plus I was mostly just making an immature masturbation joke.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the simple notion that the movies feature force powers that haven't been shown on-screen before is in itself a spoiler, even if you don't specify which.

Also, yes I did get your masturbation joke, I didn't think I had to comment on it, is all.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #563

MindFlayer

Could "foliation" actually be about folios? Have we seen codices in the Darth & Droids universe before? (Can I keep avoiding using the word b**k?)

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Could "foliation" actually be about folios? Have we seen codices in the Darth & Droids universe before? (Can I keep avoiding using the word b**k?)
    Doesn't The Phantasmal Malevolence establish the nonexistence of paper?

Show

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't The Phantasmal Malevolence establish the nonexistence of paper?
    It's complicated.
    Spoiler: Force Awakens trilogy movies
    Show
    Paper is banned, which is why the player characters mostly don't have access to it in Phantasmal Malevolence. But #1763 specifically says that paper was banned after “Thousands of years ago ancient Jedi texts were recorded on paper”. In The Last Jedi movie, these books are such ancient Jedi texts, so paper was not yet banned when these were created. That might be the case here too, since the GM describes the books as “ancient relics”. #1763 also says that “corrupted by the paper-making process the midi-chlorians in the trees were”. It's not clear from this whether that corruption can be undone once the paper is made, so maybe it can't, in which case preserving existing paper doesn't do harm, only creating new paper does. So it kind of makes sense that Luke guards these artifacts on Ach-To. Meanwhile, #2216 in Forced-Away Kin shows that the First Order is using paper again for technical documentation.

26. - Top - End - #566

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Spoiler: Force Awakens trilogy movies
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I checked the comic, and it only mentions printed documentation. It doesn't say the documentation was printed on paper. It could be some other material, such as durasheets.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Kylo explicitly calls the Jedi texts out as "written on paper. The forbidden material.", so I doubt they're using the stuff for documentation.

Sure, Snoke is rather nonchalant about it "Reading a book never hurt anyone" after all, but if Kylo reacts like that the rank and file would probably take it worse.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I checked the comic, and it only mentions printed documentation. It doesn't say the documentation was printed on paper. It could be some other material, such as durasheets.
    Spoiler: Force Awakens movie trilogy spoilers
    Show
    I don't buy it. If it were normal for people to print documentation on something that isn't quite paper but is effectively used as paper (vellum or papyrus or whatever) then R2-D2's original line from #159 saying “Do you see any paper in this universe? Someone has to project this stupid hologram for you!” wouldn't make sense.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler: Episode 8
    Show
    Memnarch's worried about the break in tension from having half the movie be from Rey's perspective, rather than something more relevant to the action. Oh boy, are they gonna love the casino planet, then!

I mean, once they realize what's happening in the actual movie. I'm sure D&D will have something good going on plot-wise.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2023-04-23 at 04:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Spoiler: Episode 8
    Show
    Memnarch's worried about the break in tension from having half the movie be from Rey's perspective, rather than something more relevant to the action. Oh boy, are they gonna love the casino planet, then!

I mean, once they realize what's happening in the actual movie. I'm sure D&D will have something good going on plot-wise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, if Finn and Rose can get to the Casino planet unnoticed, and they're transferring fuel to smaller ships to escape to the salt planet, why don't they just take the small ships to a bunch of planets over the course of a few hours and leave the First Order chasing the empty cruisers.

Hell, why don't they try jumping the fleet to two separate locations? Or arrange a meeting point and have each ship jump somewhere different. Or take the eagles to Mordor?

In retrospect this film.makes little sense.

Show