New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Darths & Droids VI: Thread title will appear here when received

I'd never heard of it before, and the Welsch comment was half a joke and half a shot in the dark. It was mostly the utter word salad that the entire sentence consisted of that made me think the generator had broken and spat out a gibberish word.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Okay, is that not a thing elsewhere? At least in Australia, we've adopted/appropriated the name Eisteddfod for our local and regional music and poetry competitions (usually kids by age group).
    Yeah, what theangelJean said. Everyone in Australia knows what an eisteddfod is. Everyone's kids perform in them.

Having said that, I can understand if other English-speaking countries don't have the same tradition and are unfamiliar with the word.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'd never heard of it before, and the Welsch comment was half a joke and half a shot in the dark. It was mostly the utter word salad that the entire sentence consisted of that made me think the generator had broken and spat out a gibberish word.
    Whoops, looks like I read the comment and didn't read the generated text closely enough. Yeah, the date specification isn't quite grammatical, with the extraneous "the", and doesn't make sense anyway - there isn't a February in any lunar calendar. Other than the date, the same grammar makes more sense for other people's results but it's a stretch for this one.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

4. - Top - End - #124

PirateGuy

I... don't really follow. What's Pete's logic there? (latest comic, 2098)

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    I... don't really follow. What's Pete's logic there? (latest comic, 2098)
    Not sure how long that comic has been up, so

Spoiler: comic 2098
    Show
    They've just received a transmission from a planet that was supposed to have been destroyed (just now). R2D2 asks about a particular place, and finds that while there is nothing in the "current" records, there was something there - a system with five planets. I'm guessing it has something to do with the map that doesn't match anything in "current" records.

By the way, do we use this spoiler convention (new comic, 24h) in this thread? Do we want to? I'm doing it to be polite, but there are enough spoiler boxes in the thread already.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Pete suspects that the planets they saw explode were actually destroyed 45 to 52 years ago (the time the light from the destruction took to reach Takodana) which faked the destruction of Chandrila?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way, do we use this spoiler convention (new comic, 24h) in this thread? Do we want to? I'm doing it to be polite, but there are enough spoiler boxes in the thread already.
    No. The spoilers are to hide anything that you only know because you saw the movies (any of Force awakens, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker, Solo). Keybounce and memnarch are doing a challenge where they deliberately don't watch the movies until like six years after that, and experience the sequels from the comics first. They sometimes post here and read this thread, so the spoilers are to hide the info from them.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2022-01-09 at 02:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    No. The spoilers are to hide anything that you only know because you saw the movies (any of Force awakens, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker, Solo). Keybounce and memnarch are doing a challenge where they deliberately don't watch the movies until like six years after that, and experience the sequels from the comics first. They sometimes post here and read this thread, so the spoilers are to hide the info from them.
    I know about that reason for using spoilers, which is the majority of spoiler boxes here (and which I try to avoid doing). I'm asking if we also use the "don't spoil the current comic" convention that I've seen in other threads. Particularly when I'm basically explaining the plot of the current comic, as I see it, to people who might not have read it.

9. - Top - End - #129

PirateGuy

I don't believe there is a comics-spoiler policy in place in this thread, or at least I haven't seen one in practice. I often realize a new comic is up (for some reason the RSS feed I follow is a few hours late apparently) because of the discussion here. But hey, keeping it up here just in case.

Spoiler: comic 2098
    Show
    They've just received a transmission from a planet that was supposed to have been destroyed (just now). R2D2 asks about a particular place, and finds that while there is nothing in the "current" records, there was something there - a system with five planets. I'm guessing it has something to do with the map that doesn't match anything in "current" records.
    Spoiler: still comic 2098
    Show
    I got that... I just didn't understand what did a planet equidistant from Takodana and Endor (i.e. Starkiller Base) at the specified distance had to do with anything, or why Pete was interested in that distance range. Fyraltari's theory does seem to explain the parameters of Pete's search, but I still don't see what that's got to do with finding Ach-To/Luke, which is what R2-D2 was up to just then.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, this thread doesn't get posts for every new comic, discussions aren't lasting for days, and Darths & Droids is one of the webcomics which does stick to it's regular update schedule without regular hiatuses. If this thread was more active I'd support using spoiler tags for new strips, but I'm not sure it's really required at the moment.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #131

Okay, I went back and checked ... There's no actual confirmation that Chandrila was destroyed. Instead:
    General Hux declares that the target is Chandrila.
    Five planets in the one system are destroyed.
    And Pete says the physics doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing that that the Peace Moon doesn't work the way they think it does...

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think the point was to find how far back to go before finding a version of the star charts that wasn't Nute-ered? Also a way to retcon the silliness of the FTL lightshow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I went back and checked ... There's no actual confirmation that Chandrila was destroyed.
    I see it the opposite way. There's no confirmation that Chandrilla is not destroyed. Corey is jumping to a conclusion here instead of listening to the NPC who's bringing an important message. The message will confirm that Chandrilla is destroyed, and hopefully tell about a few survivors who happened to be on a spaceship or hyperspace or other safe hideouts or got quickly evacuated when the planet got destroyed.

Also Kylo Ren is pretty definitive in #2065, saying “Didn’t you hear? Chandrila is destroyed. The Republic is no more.”
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2022-01-10 at 11:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I am curious to see how the GM improves on the canon's technobabble explanation.

15. - Top - End - #135

Huh instant long range attack does imply backwards time travel but seeing as SW also has ftl travel everyone uses I would assume the setting ignores that because it can get messy otherwise.

16. - Top - End - #136

Pete's using what I assume is out-of-character knowledge here, which is unusual for him at this point in the campaign. There's nobody present in this discussion who could have had any communication with the people in the scene with Nute that memnarch linked, is there?
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-01-11 at 08:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm glad memnarch linked to the previous relevant page because I had also forgotton about it.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm reading and re-reading this and I go "Wha?" ... can someone try to explain to me what happened?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pete's using what I assume is out-of-character knowledge here, which is unusual for him at this point in the campaign. There's nobody present in this discussion who could have had any communication with the people in the scene with Nute that memnarch linked, is there?
    It could be an OOC conversation.

Alternatively, R2 is the one who had the Nute virus, and the destruction of Cardota and Courtsilius pre-date that incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I'm reading and re-reading this and I go "Wha?" ... can someone try to explain to me what happened?
    Pete is positing that the Peace Moon is essentially a temporal super-weapon, firing a death ray that travels backwards in time (that doesn't really track with the description of the weapon *firing*, but whatever) so that the interstellar lightshow you see is just normal light that arrived normally, of a system exploding decades ago due to a weapon you just fired right now.

Takodana and the Peace Moon being equidistant from the Hosnian system means that the light from the explosion arrived at both systems at the same time.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Pete is positing that the Peace Moon is essentially a temporal super-weapon, firing a death ray that travels backwards in time (that doesn't really track with the description of the weapon *firing*, but whatever) so that the interstellar lightshow you see is just normal light that arrived normally, of a system exploding decades ago due to a weapon you just fired right now.

Takodana and the Peace Moon being equidistant from the Hosnian system means that the light from the explosion arrived at both systems at the same time.
    Oh I think I get it now. Since Hosnian has been "mysteriously" destroyed 50 years ago, they didn't take it into account when aiming, but it was their shot that destroyed it in the first place.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Pete's logic has some big leaps to it, though. First, the notion that a shot would be limited to lightspeed when FTL is a thing, hell the thing that started this line of thought was receiving an FTL message. Second, even if the beam does travel back through time, he assumed it did so at a one-to-one rate for no real reason. And finally he's using out-of-character knowledge.

I really don't see how the GM could have expected them to figure that out, when time travel had never even be a part of the setting beforehand!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Pete's logic has some big leaps to it, though. First, the notion that a shot would be limited to lightspeed when FTL is a thing, hell the thing that started this line of thought was receiving an FTL message. Second, even if the beam does travel back through time, he assumed it did so at a one-to-one rate for no real reason. And finally he's using out-of-character knowledge.

I really don't see how the GM could have expected them to figure that out, when time travel had never even be a part of the setting beforehand!
    I don't think Pete has the originally-planned explanation.

Whether or not the GM goes with it is another question.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Second, even if the beam does travel back through time, he assumed it did so at a one-to-one rate for no real reason.
    Pete knows that because the entire Cataclysm beam was visible in the sky at once when viewed from close to the Peace Moon Takodana (where the beam was fired from) in #2038 and #2039. This may be out of character knowledge, because his character Rey was in Chandrilla at the time, but we don't know where R2-D2 was or what information he has.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2022-01-12 at 05:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

MindFlayer

Now with the reference to space bees, I wonder whether Quark existed in this setting, or whether that was too dependent on Star Wars.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

My best guess with this is that, aside from the general ludicrousness of the ultra-laser,
    Spoiler: Episode IX spoilers
    Show
    It's an attempt to set up SOMETHING so Palpatine's return can have some level of coherence. Likely with whatever mechanism is enabling time-things getting destroyed in the process, so it gets mostly ruled out.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2022-01-17 at 02:37 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode IX
    Show
    You're sure that's not actually Nute remote operating a Palpatine clone?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Show
    You're sure that's not actually Nute remote operating a Palpatine clone?
    Show
    Given what they've done with Nute and with Anakin, and how much material there is between now and the reveal that Palpatine is back, I think all bets are off as to who or what Palpatine actually is.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Show
    Given what they've done with Nute and with Anakin, and how much material there is between now and the reveal that Palpatine is back, I think all bets are off as to who or what Palpatine actually is.
    Show
    I honestly hope they'll initially play the "somehow, Palpatine returned" scene straight, with an NPC uttering the infamous line, only for the players to spend the next several strips tearing the DM a new one over it before starting to list increasingly ludicrous ways he could've lived.

Come to think of it, was that mcguffin that helped Padmé live actually destroyed or kept by anyone? Could be one possible way.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-01-17 at 01:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Pete knows that because the entire Cataclysm beam was visible in the sky at once when viewed from close to the Peace Moon Takodana (where the beam was fired from) in #2038 and #2039. This may be out of character knowledge, because his character Rey was in Chandrilla at the time, but we don't know where R2-D2 was or what information he has.
    I feel like the starting premise is bad here, you can't actually see a beam of light that bypasses you. Whatever it is, it ain't light that you're seeing cut through space.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Show
    Come to think of it, was that mcguffin that helped Padmé live actually destroyed or kept by anyone? Could be one possible way.
    Show
    The jappor snippet was incorporated into Vader's helmet - so maybe Kylo Ren has it?
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2022-01-17 at 02:29 PM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.