New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Darths & Droids VI: Thread title will appear here when received

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Time travel might make that slightly less weird.
    They should make this into some sort of ground rule for movie directors/writers: if one can say this about the plot of your movie and be correct, you might want to rethink it.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They should make this into some sort of ground rule for movie directors/writers: if one can say this about the plot of your movie and be correct, you might want to rethink it.
    I'm pretty sure this and the post you quoted should be in spoilers.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: discussion of what is and isn't a spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I'm pretty sure this and the post you quoted should be in spoilers.
    While the quoted post is from a spoiler section, I thought the time travel element was pretty well established in the current chapter of Darths & Droids. I'm pretty sure that the newbies have heard that the sequel trilogy has something weird going on by now, so the idea that time travel might make something less weird isn't a spoiler in itself?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

4. - Top - End - #244

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Spoiler: discussion of what is and isn't a spoiler
    Show

While the quoted post is from a spoiler section, I thought the time travel element was pretty well established in the current chapter of Darths & Droids. I'm pretty sure that the newbies have heard that the sequel trilogy has something weird going on by now, so the idea that time travel might make something less weird isn't a spoiler in itself?
    Spoiler: Replying to spoilered post inside spoiler
    Show
    You may have a point there, but if it were me, I'd still keep it all within spoilers just to be on the safe side. You never know how much this sort of indirect, general comment (which I've done off-spoiler myself, I admit) may color their reading.

That's if they (the "haven't-watched-sequels-stuff" squad) are still reading this thread anyway, with the potential spoiler minefield it can get to be sometimes

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It's less the firing (though it's on the heavy side) and more the pulling back of the string. Firing an already loaded and ready bowcaster is easier.
    I didn't think it actually had a string. It's just a big, crossbow-shaped blaster, isn't it?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I didn't think it actually had a string. It's just a big, crossbow-shaped blaster, isn't it?
    I believe it actually fires a quarrel. Not sure why, but it apparently does.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I believe it actually fires a quarrel. Not sure why, but it apparently does.
    As for the idea that the bowcaster fires quarrels of some description, Chewie never seems to need to load prior to shooting or reload between shots, there doesn't appear to be room for a magazine - certainly not one large enough to fit something that I'd describe as a quarrel rather than as a bullet - and Chewie doesn't seem to have quarrels on his person (the items on his bandolier are more appropriately sized for magazines for rifle-caliber bullets, if anything, and, again, I can't recall ever seeing him (re)load the bowcaster, so it's not clear that his bandolier actually holds specialized ammunition for the bowcaster), and the audio-visual effects for the bowcaster are very similar to those used for blasters. The idea that bowcaster shots were meant to be fundamentally distinct from blaster shots seems to me more than a little suspect, regardless of what Disney or EU material has to say on the matter.

As to the idea that the bowcaster is a fancy high-tech crossbow, I would point out that the 'bow' and 'bowstring' of Chewie's bowcaster can be observed during firing in the scene where Han fails to sneak up on a scout trooper on the forest moon of Endor, and there is no indication that either so much as twitches during firing. If the bowcaster is a crossbow, then so is a rifle with a recurve bow tied to the barrel.

Pretty much the only reason to think that a bowcaster is anything other than a blaster stylized to look like a crossbow is that it looks something like a crossbow; prior to TFA, there wasn't even any real indication in the films that it was a notably more powerful weapon than for example a stormtrooper's blaster carbine.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2022-03-30 at 03:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

I remember reading some description that the globes on the tips of the bow were electromagnet thingies so it worked kind of like a coilgun except without a coil. And yeah, it shoots a fancy hi-tech quarrel that wreathes itself in plasma when accelerated.

It's all a bunch of expanded universe nonsense, to be sure, but that's what happens when you put a plasma crossbow and let other people try to make sense out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

I never said it made sense. But if you're quibbling about bowcasters firing quarrels then there's some space wizards who'd love to discuss realism with you.

Personally, I assume that it holds just enough quarrels that we never have to see Chewie reload on screen. It's not realistic but it's enough for me.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #250

I never said it made sense. But if you're quibbling about bowcasters firing quarrels then there's some space wizards who'd love to discuss realism with you.

Personally, I assume that it holds just enough quarrels that we never have to see Chewie reload on screen. It's not realistic but it's enough for me.
    In visual media, if you want to have thing A and thing B be two different things, you have to show that they're different; if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and acts like a duck, then it is a duck. If the bowcaster was meant to be a crossbow, it'd act like one; if the bolts it produced were meant to be plasma-coated quarrels rather than blaster bolts then there ought to be something differentiating them from blaster bolts or we ought to see the quarrels or something so that the audience can see that it's not just another blaster variant; instead, we have something that looks like a blaster with a bow attached at the muzzle, which produces bolts that look, sound, and behave like blaster bolts do.

The two most reasonable conclusions to draw from what is shown in the films are that the bowcaster is a blaster stylized to look like a crossbow or that the bowcaster is a weapon which uses a slightly different operating mechanism ('justifying' the bow part of the weapon) to produce the same effect as a blaster - i.e. a bowcaster is to a blaster more or less what coil guns, electromagnetic rail guns, pneumatic guns, and conventional firearms are to one another.

Also, as to your implication that I'm being pedantic and over-analyzing something, my response to you is that an exercise in critical thinking is never wholly wasted whereas blind acceptance of the statements of authority, whether due to respect for that authority or due to apathy or disinterest in the subject matter, breeds a certain laziness of thought - especially when what that authority claims to be the case is so clearly unsupported by the evidence as is the case for the claim that bowcasters are crossbows that coat their quarrels in some kind of plasma. Moreover, suggesting that critical thought either should not or cannot be applied to a setting merely because magic exists within that setting is simply offensive, especially when it comes to something as simple as weapon classification by observable characteristics and there is no indication that the setting's explicit magic has anything to do with the setting's notionally-technological systems.

11. - Top - End - #251

Aye, I'm still around, though generally busy enough to only skim the comments and rarely make a post these days. And most of my thoughts about the comic and things end up on website under the comic anyway, so I end up feeling a bit like Old Grandad the Troll sometimes.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Err Phasma?
    Before you push the Off-button, please consider what happened to the first Peace Moon. Or the defence station.
    Be smart, not Tarkin.

Spoiler: The Force Awakens
    Show
    Huh, interesting changes. I think in the movie Phasma caved pretty much immediately to save her bacon, didn't she?
    Much better showing here.
    Also, better reason to "help".
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #253

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Wait the pilot on the right doesn't have NPC speech bubbles. Who is that and who is playing him?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait the pilot on the right doesn't have NPC speech bubbles. Who is that and who is playing him?
    Snap Wexley, Sally.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Oh look! The name "First Order" actually makes some sense now!

Quote Originally Posted by dmmaus View Post
    Thanks!
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #257

PirateGuy

Wait... WAIT!

Spoiler: Big Episode IX spoilers
    Show
    Is Palpatine, after he "somehow" returns (I'll never get over that), merely a client who placed a huge order of however many planet-destroying battleships he's got with Nute's organization?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Wait... WAIT!

Show
    Is Palpatine, after he "somehow" returns (I'll never get over that), merely a client who placed a huge order of however many planet-destroying battleships he's got with Nute's organization?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Possible. He might also be Nute in Palpatine's body.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #259

Spoiler
    Show
    Possible. He might also be Nute in Palpatine's body.
    Spoiler: Episode IX
    Show
    Nute in Palpatine's body seems more likely to me.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Problem is, it's a bit obvious, isn't it? It'd work, but it wouldn't be very surprising.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Show
    Is Palpatine, after he "somehow" returns
    Spoiler: episode IX
    Show
    I still don't understand why some people find Palpatine's return odd.

Palpatine faked his death in the least implausible way. He fell down a hole in his own throne room, so clearly he could have prepared that hole as a way to escape if the situation gets hot. This is in a universe with force fields that slow down your fall, and where Luke fell down a bottomless pit and survived. This is what we normally call a Disney death, its goal is that the villain can either stay dead or be revealed to have survived depending on what works better in a sequel.

Palpatine was already a powerful Force user, studying the secrets of the Dark Side and Dearth Plagueis. So now in Rise of Skywalkre he returned as a Force Lich. Rey revives him deliberately because an undead lich is more powerful than a living human.

Palpatine also acquired the Lost Orb somehow. Instead of putting it in an obvious moon-sized battle station to project power, he hides it in one of a swarm of a thousand identical ships, so that any one of them could be a planet killer and there's no way for the good guys to know which ship that is until it's too late.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Show

Palpatine faked his death in the least implausible way. He fell down a hole in his own throne room, so clearly he could have prepared that hole as a way to escape if the situation gets hot. This is in a universe with force fields that slow down your fall, and where Luke fell down a bottomless pit and survived. This is what we normally call a Disney death, its goal is that the villain can either stay dead or be revealed to have survived depending on what works better in a sequel.

Palpatine was already a powerful Force user, studying the secrets of the Dark Side and Dearth Plagueis. So now in Rise of Skywalkre he returned as a Force Lich. Rey revives him deliberately because an undead lich is more powerful than a living human.

Palpatine also acquired the Lost Orb somehow. Instead of putting it in an obvious moon-sized battle station to project power, he hides it in one of a swarm of a thousand identical ships, so that any one of them could be a planet killer and there's no way for the good guys to know which ship that is until it's too late.
    Spoiler: Rise of Skywalker
    Show
    Or worse, he found a way to copy the Orb.
    All those ships could carry one.
    If there's only one Orb it's easy, it's on the ship that demonstrated the new super gun.

(Or the Orb's hidden in Palpatine's fortress or wherever and the ships are just relays so he can blow stuff up without risking his energy source.

Huh. Peace Moon III?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Show
    Mostly because Sheev's death was presented as a death, and so people are less annoyed about him returning than him returning without explanation. Meanwhile Luke's survival was clearly shown, they're different situations.

That said I'm not convinced Palpatine will return in Campaign IX. Yes, he could be revived and have ordered a fleet of Star Destroyers with Mute, but he could also be Mute in Palpatine's body or Snoke's original body. Anything is possible.

But if Palpatine does return I'm sure the WIs will actually give an explanation.

Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    But if Palpatine does return I'm sure the WIs will actually give an explanation.
    Spoiler: The Last Skywalker movie spoilers
    Show
    The part of why Palpatine survived works both in the movies and Da&Dr, but almost everything else about Palpatine differs. His personality is completely different in the comics and the movies. He's still a powerful force user either way. In the movie, he's the master manipulating Snoke and Kylo Ren and Rey. I don't think that will work in Da&Dr, but I have no idea what his role will be and how he's related to the First Order. He might be working together with Rey, given that both of them are played by Pete, but then why does Rey betray and resurrect him?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: The Last Skywalker movie spoilers
    Show
    The part of why Palpatine survived works both in the movies and Da&Dr, but almost everything else about Palpatine differs. His personality is completely different in the comics and the movies. He's still a powerful force user either way. In the movie, he's the master manipulating Snoke and Kylo Ren and Rey. I don't think that will work in Da&Dr, but I have no idea what his role will be and how he's related to the First Order. He might be working together with Rey, given that both of them are played by Pete, but then why does Rey betray and resurrect him?
    Spoiler
    Show
    When is Palpatine played by Pete?

Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    When is Palpatine played by Pete?
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the comic version of Episode 9: The Last Skywalker, when he decides to make a better villain character so they don't always have to fight Nute or incompetent villains. He becomes a lich, because his limited success with Chirrut and Rey confirms his previous thoughts that mortal bodies are weak. He min-maxes to research a better form of Force Lightning, at the cost that the heroes can reflect it back to him.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    In the comic version of Episode 9: The Last Skywalker, when he decides to make a better villain character so they don't always have to fight Nute or incompetent villains. He becomes a lich, because his limited success with Chirrut and Rey confirms his previous thoughts that mortal bodies are weak. He min-maxes to research a better form of Force Lightning, at the cost that the heroes can reflect it back to him.
    Are you from the future?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Are you from the future?
    No. I came from the past and go to the future.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Latest comic, no movie stuff
    Show

Phasma being Valorum/Grievous makes sense and certainly explains the... odd speech pattern. What's interesting is that the comic has treated Phasma as female so far. I guess the organic parts came from a woman, but does that "make" Valorum trans, or does he still sees himself as a man and never bothered to explain to anyone. Or maybe they don't care about gender at all?
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #270

Spoiler: Latest comic, no movie stuff
    Show

Phasma being Valorum/Grievous makes sense and certainly explains the... odd speech pattern. What's interesting is that the comic has treated Phasma as female so far. I guess the organic parts came from a woman, but does that "make" Valorum trans, or does he still sees himself as a man and never bothered to explain to anyone. Or maybe they don't care about gender at all?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, she(?)'s mostly a robot and considers robotic creatures inherently superior to organic ones. Robots "reproduce" asexually, so gonochorism should be of precious little interest to her(?); consequently, a linguistic category that is ultimately a means of giving (perceived) sex a grammatical marker in language might not be something she(?) cares about much. Also, he wasn't supposed to be female, Annie.