New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default What's the most challenging Pokemon game for single-player?

Hey, guys. I'm looking to get a Pokemon game for my phone. What would you guys recommend as the most challenging single player Pokemon game? Even if it's really old, I'd like to hear your guys' perspectives.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #2

Flumph

Default Re: What's the most challenging Pokemon game for single-player?

None of them if you don't nuzlocke them.

Pokemon really isn't intended to be challenging. AI trainers are limited and predictable so as long as you glance at a type chart from time to time and have okay coverage you'll generally wipe everything by just having a strong counter to their one gimmick.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Hey, guys. I'm looking to get a Pokemon game for my phone.
    Um, other than Pokemon Go and that new Pokemon Unite thing, neither of which as far as I know are traditional Pokemon games, I don't think the series is even available on phones. I don't see any when I search my phone's game store, at least. Pretty sure they're all only on Nintendo's handhelds and the Switch.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2021-08-30 at 08:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Flumph

Everything up to the DS can be emulated on Android if you try hard enough.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Probably Black2/White2 with challenge mode on?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Everything up to the DS can be emulated on Android if you try hard enough.
    It was pretty dang easy to get set up. Seems like the answer to the difficulty problem is to Nuzlocke, though (or find other ways to artificially increase the difficulty).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-08-30 at 11:33 AM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Sun/Moon's mechanic of wild Pokemon calling for help can be challenging especially if you are also Nuzlockeing and/or turning off XP share.

From there, I imagine older generations are toughest just because Psychic types are OP and dark types were mostly awful - so OG Red/Blue and Gold/Silver would be fairly tough, again especially if Nuzlocked.

Most all games from Gen 4 and beyond have challenging end-end-end games (Battle Frontier type stuff), but the actual game is usually pretty breezy and mindless. I think if you want a real challenge without having to impose your own challenges, you're probably looking for fanmade games and that's territory I'm not super familiar with.

To flip it around - I think that X/Y and Sword/Shield are the easiest games, by a whole lot, because you just get so much free stuff and the starters are so strong so even if you turn off XP share and Nuzlocke away I imagine they won't be overly tough. I love Sword and Shield, but man is it pretty easy mode.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming Nuzlocke, because as mentioned that's a requirement for difficulty, Probably Black/White 1 or 2, or Sun and Moon.

Black/White 1/2 can be emulated, Sun and Moon can't.

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Assuming Nuzlocke, because as mentioned that's a requirement for difficulty, Probably Black/White 1 or 2, or Sun and Moon.

Black/White 1/2 can be emulated, Sun and Moon can't.
    Yeah, the hardest Nuzlockes are Black and White 2, Ultra Sun & Moon, and I think Platinum.

From there, I imagine older generations are toughest just because Psychic types are OP and dark types were mostly awful - so OG Red/Blue and Gold/Silver would be fairly tough, again especially if Nuzlocked.
    Nah, Gen 1 is pretty easy because trainers will only ever have moves from their mons' level up moveset not TMs, so they'll have a bunch of garbage with even less synergy than usual.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Personally I feel the simplest ways to make Pokemon games harder are Set mode (you don't get to switch out for free every time you faint an enemy) and not overleveling the enemy.
    Also, not relying on too much setup, like buff moves + healing items, or x items + healing items and then sweeping.

Also, there are rom hacks that are much harder than regular games.
    The most popular ones (that I know of) are the Kaizo ones (Blue, Crystal, Emerald Kaizo).

I've seen a couple videos. definitely very hard, but I'd never play them.
    They literally put 10+ forced trainer fights in every route, and each one is legitimately challenging.
    Thinking of going back to heal 15 times just to walk through a route is not my idea of fun.

There's also Nuzlocking, which obviously makes things even harder
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2021-09-01 at 04:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Yeah, the hardest Nuzlockes are Black and White 2, Ultra Sun & Moon, and I think Platinum.

Nah, Gen 1 is pretty easy because trainers will only ever have moves from their mons' level up moveset not TMs, so they'll have a bunch of garbage with even less synergy than usual.
    It's also easier because 'smart' AI wasn't invented yet - Gen 1 opponents just randomly select one of their available moves, so you can gamble and get away with setting up on things that should kill you because they don't know they can kill you and just try to use Defense Curl or something three times in a row instead before you smack them with a Psychic. For challenge you want one of the games where at least Trainer opponents all use smart AI, and will at least actively attempt to exploit your type weaknesses and go for KOing attacks when they can (this is also sometimes exploitable behavior, such as baiting an opponent into using a Super Effective move on your current 'mon and swapping into an immune one to void the hit and get a free switch.. but it's exploitation that requires game knowledge and strategy in team building and battling.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I'll go with Gold/Silver/Crystal or HeartGold/SoulSilver, but I'll also agree that "challenge" isn't really a thing Pokemon does without some outside guidance. The biggest reason why I'd say that is the spike in level increase after clearing Johto, as well as the Red fight being one of the highest-levelled, not-scaling fights I can think of (albeit a basic lineup). There's also stories about Whitney's Miltank, though I can't remember her giving me trouble way back when.

Definitely use Set mode, and probably consider not using items during trainer battles or limiting yourself to two items during trainer battles.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    It's also easier because 'smart' AI wasn't invented yet - Gen 1 opponents just randomly select one of their available moves, so you can gamble and get away with setting up on things that should kill you because they don't know they can kill you and just try to use Defense Curl or something three times in a row instead before you smack them with a Psychic.
    I think it's random selection for wild pokemon, but I remember Twitch Plays Pokemon somehow ended up exploiting Gen 1's AI. They had a level 36 Venomoth take out Lance's Dragonite with mostly poison damage and Gen 1 Leech Life, because Dragonite only used Psychic-type attacks (Agility and Barrier) against a poison/bug type.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Nuzlocke and similar challenges are the only way to make them really hard.

Beyond that, the only one I remember struggling with (having played all gens up to and including black) was Platinum. And I'd probably breeze through it in adulthood.

If you're interested in trying unofficial pokémon games, I'd recommend pokémon reborn: it's a bit edgy (certainly nothing too bad, just want to say it), but quite challenging, especially in how limited the initially available pokémon are. You're essentially supposed to have a large roster to switch in-and-out depending on the gym you're facing. Got gyms for all types, all pokémon up to sun & moon, and plenty of content though it's as-of-yet unfinished.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-09-03 at 08:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    I'll go with Gold/Silver/Crystal or HeartGold/SoulSilver, but I'll also agree that "challenge" isn't really a thing Pokemon does without some outside guidance. The biggest reason why I'd say that is the spike in level increase after clearing Johto, as well as the Red fight being one of the highest-levelled, not-scaling fights I can think of (albeit a basic lineup). There's also stories about Whitney's Miltank, though I can't remember her giving me trouble way back when.

Definitely use Set mode, and probably consider not using items during trainer battles or limiting yourself to two items during trainer battles.

I think it's random selection for wild pokemon, but I remember Twitch Plays Pokemon somehow ended up exploiting Gen 1's AI. They had a level 36 Venomoth take out Lance's Dragonite with mostly poison damage and Gen 1 Leech Life, because Dragonite only used Psychic-type attacks (Agility and Barrier) against a poison/bug type.
    Yea, gen 1 "good" ai will always go for a move that is super effective based on type, even if it's not a damaging move.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Nuzlocke and similar challenges are the only way to make them really hard.

Beyond that, the only one I remember struggling with (having played all gens up to and including black) was Platinum. And I'd probably breeze through it in adulthood.

If you're interested in trying unofficial pokémon games, I'd recommend pokémon reborn: it's a bit edgy (certainly nothing too bad, just want to say it), but quite challenging, especially in how limited the initially available pokémon are. You're essentially supposed to have a large roster to switch in-and-out depending on the gym you're facing. Got gyms for all types, all pokémon up to sun & moon, and plenty of content though it's as-of-yet unfinished.
    That actually sounds perfect. I try to avoid leveling up just one Pokemon and then abusing it for all of my fights, just because of how much it dumbs the game down. Being incentivized to swap out Pokemon and use new ones for each gym is exactly how I always thought the games should have been like. I'll definitely look into this!

5th Edition Homebrewery