A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 3.5E house rules?

Btw, here's a collection of house rules that I tend to always use in games I run for my friend group (in addition to the background kits I mentioned above)
    Spoiler
    Show
    • When rolling for HP, you roll twice and keep the best result.
    • Half-Elves get one extra skill point per level and +1 to CHA. Half-Orcs lose the CHA penalty and get a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against fear.
    • Fighters get Knowledge (War) as a class skill, and 4 + Int modifier skill points per level.
    • PF-style multiclassing rules: when you take a level in your favored class, you get +1 hp/+1 skill point, your choice. No penalties.
    • Paladins and Monks can multiclass freely; alignment restriction and code of conduct still apply.
    • Liquid Joy is banned. All similar methods to gain infinite reserves of XP and infinite loops of all sorts are to be considered automatically banned.
    • No Forgotten Realms material (not an houserule, technically. I simply don't run campaigns set in the FR and I don't like the setting and mechanics).
    • No magic item shops. Apothecaries and alchemists exist and their services are available as normal, but there's no common market for magic items. You need to find what you want, make it yourself or find someone able to craft it and ask them if they're willing to take the commission.

Those are not all the house-rules I use or like, but the ones I've found to work for my table.
    Last edited by Silly Name; 2021-08-31 at 09:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32

Lizardfolk

The two biggest I use are:

No iterative attack penalty and no movement attack penalty.
    (You can single move and make a full attack with all attacks at your base BAB.)

Concealment imposes an AC penalty rather than a % miss chance.
    (-4 for the first attack, -2 for subsequent attacks for 20% concealment; auto-miss for the first attack, -2 for subsequent attacks for 50% concealment.)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Heal skill check or can anyone just do it?
    Generally I make it like a DC10 check, but honestly (nobody tell my players) if no one is in the party is putting points into Healing skills, I would just let them do it to save time on rolling.

If someone has the skill, I'll make them all roll and toss the D4 at the same time.

The Heal skill is bad enough as it is, I sort of feel like they should be allowed to use it for this to feel like they're getting some real value out of it despite the Cleric standing over there being all shiny and all-powerful.

It is meant to represent just catching your breath and doing basic first aid (cleaning and binding wounds)...and it helps slightly with the 10min-for-10hrs Adventurer Work Day Syndrome in 3.5e.

-Jn-
    Ifriti Sophist
    Last edited by JoeNapalm; 2021-09-02 at 10:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Do the evil wizards have to roll fort saves or have their fingers shrivel up when I nat20 a save against their spell?
    C'mon, man.

Don't you think pure casters have it hard enough as it is?

-Jn-
    Ifriti Sophist

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNapalm View Post
    C'mon, man.

Don't you think pure casters have it hard enough as it is?

-Jn-
    Ifriti Sophist
    Yes being walking gods that completely avoid every badly designed martial punishment homebrew in the Edition of D&D that already cut martials down to being borderline useless. Absolutely hard for them. Can't allow players to ever THINK of touching a martial in Castermode D&D. Or even make it look like they're needed. Have to make sure those casters dont break a sweat. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Wizards are weak because they need to read! Sorcerers can take the Illiterate trait to minmax themselves to extremes that other classes can only dream of!
    Spoiler: Current Ongoing Campaigns
    Show
    DM- Overlord Campaign - Ainz wiped the floor but they did manage to clear several floor guardians. Playing - Gestalt game character WIP.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
    Yes being walking gods that completely avoid every badly designed martial punishment homebrew in the Edition of D&D that already cut martials down to being borderline useless. Absolutely hard for them. Can't allow players to ever THINK of touching a martial in Castermode D&D. Or even make it look like they're needed. Have to make sure those casters dont break a sweat. /s
    You joke, but if you nerfed martials hard enough that people stopped trying to get them to work, that would result in something more balanced than stock 3e.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here are my houserules:

Die rolls: A natural 20 is not an automatic success, but results in a second d20 roll added to the original d20 roll. This can itself cause additional rolls if consecutive natural 20s are rolled. Same goes for natural 1s, which aren't automatic failures, but have a second d20 subtracted from the result.

Skills: Knowledge (Dungeoneering) applies to almost all monsters, as there isn't a good "generic monster knowledge" skill and it didn't have very much use otherwise.

Spellcasting: Every prepared caster is turned into a Sorcerer-style spontaneous caster. Spontaneous casters lose their metamagic penalty. Bonus spells for high ability modifiers give you additional spells known instead of spells per day. Everyone gets Eschew Materials for free, non-language-dependent spells (except Bard spells) also have no verbal component. All divine casters no longer need a patron deity. Spellcasting does not automatically provoke an AoO from the target of a spell, but still counts as a ranged attack for the purposes of AoOs if it's a ranged spell. (i.e. melee touch attacks like Shocking Grasp don't provoke AoOs from their targets.)

Criticals: All damage is multiplied on a critical, even precision damage. The critical multiplier is increased by one for any critical if the critical threat roll is also a natural 20. Spells can critical if the target gets a natural one on their saving throw.

Alignment: Alignment is completely decoupled from morality, alignments are renamed, but alignment prereqs are still in place to stop players from taking incompatible options. Codes of conduct are also removed. Players start out as their race's default alignment unless they take something with an alignment prerequisite, at which point they change to that alignment.

Magic Items: The Automatic Bonus Progression rules from Pathfinder Unchained are in use, basically granting everyone all the necessary +x items for their level for free.

Epic Levels: The entire epic level system is rebuilt from scratch, based primarily on the gestalt rules from Unearthed Arcana. Players level up in new classes once they reach max level in their old class, and it works like a normal (if initially lopsided) gestalt build. Most statistics and modifiers are capped to prevent unlimited vertical progression, while still allowing horizontal progression.

Other: Everyone gets a free feat at first level, which doesn't stack with generic bonus feats from races like Humans. (Though they can still trade it out for alternate racial features)

(Technically this is for PF1e, but I allow basically all 3.5 content too)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    Here are my houserules:
    Cant fault any of this from a mechanical standpoint and the intent seems consistent overall.

What has your experience been for partial casters under these rules. Do they bother with their casting stat even less now that itís not getting them more uses out of the few staples they were likely to pick?
    Martialsí concepts donít evolve past the mundane
    High levels arenít just lower levels with bigger numbers
    Martials have the tools they need for relevance

Pick 2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murg View Post
    I dunno, it seems this is a dis-incentive to play skill-based classes.

One of the reasons people play bards is for bardic knowledge; one of the reasons people play rogues is for a ton of skill points. Considering that none of the skill-based classes is game breaking (tier 1 or tier 2) do the skill-based classes really need a nerf?
    You're approaching this all wrong.

The correct solution is to make these classes more fun, rather than seeing it as a nerf to skill monkeys.

Me, I have a ton house-rules, too many to list here. And despite the apparent irony, the idea is to be as minimalist as possible. The point of every one of them is to address a specific quirk of the system in a holistic manner. And almost none of them are meant to "balance" the game(which is a fool's errand). Pretty happy with the result at this point.

I actually wanna highlight a couple of official variant rules - one in the DMG on p.25(nat20 = 30, nat1=-10), and another in Unearthed Arcana p.112.

P.S. You can find more examples in my sig.
    Last edited by martixy; 2021-09-02 at 04:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

PaladinGuy

Btw, I also have a large list of custom-made prestige classes for my players, and a long list of modified/fixed official PrCs. Most of the time I find it's easy to "fix" a PrC that is thematically fitting but not at the power level I'd like it to, has excessively slow progression/uninteresting upper levels or prohibitive entry requirements. Some are simple, such as giving a class spellcasting progression or its own spell lists, others are more complex and turned into basically complete reworks.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Cant fault any of this from a mechanical standpoint and the intent seems consistent overall.

What has your experience been for partial casters under these rules. Do they bother with their casting stat even less now that itís not getting them more uses out of the few staples they were likely to pick?
    I actually haven't had much experience with partial casters in my group. My players have mostly preferred either full casters or full martials. The only partial-caster I've had was during a gestalt game where we had a Ranger//Rogue, but he didn't focus much on spellcasting. Presumably, if their staples don't require saves, I would see lower casting stats.

However, the way my campaign works, we end up with less encounters per day than is assumed by the corebook, so more spells per day isn't really as important as more spells known to most characters. I don't have time to run a lot of encounters, and this campaign is more focused on political intrigue than dungeon crawling, so the fifteen-minute workday comes into effect pretty frequently. (Which is accounted for. Many encounters are created with the assumption that the PCs will nova, their most frequent opponents during such encounters are other NPCs who will also nova, etc.)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    Btw, I also have a large list of custom-made prestige classes for my players, and a long list of modified/fixed official PrCs. Most of the time I find it's easy to "fix" a PrC that is thematically fitting but not at the power level I'd like it to, has excessively slow progression/uninteresting upper levels or prohibitive entry requirements. Some are simple, such as giving a class spellcasting progression or its own spell lists, others are more complex and turned into basically complete reworks.
    Oh man, don't get me started on PrC. I find the quality of PrC, even official ones, to be all over the place. This is one area where I'm pretty free with the re-writes, which is fine, because it also means I can tailor it to my campaign. In particular, I find it gives me a good opportunity to provide non-full casters a nice boost in usefulness for later in the game.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Most of the houserules I use are designed to make it more mechanically fun and to play non-casters (defined as "I didn't get any spells or SLA's (sometimes Supernatural abilties get lumped in here too) when I leveled up"). Extra skill points, a larger hit die, and even giving them a free progression of Vow of Poverty benefits without any of the requirements. All designed to make the fighters, rogues etc feel more like they have a specialized role in which to shine (yes, casters probably still do it better, but there's only so much you can do).
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #44

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNapalm View Post
    Nat 1s call for a weapon save vs breakage. Magic bonuses count as bonuses to save. (Don't give me that look, weapons break -- and there's mending spells a plenty)
    Mending doesn't work on magic items, IIRC.

Weapons break, sure. But a D&D masterwork longsword is a boarding sword made by a master craftsman. The sort of real-world sword that costs as much as a village. Even assuming the DC is very easy to pass, this is insane. Do you think well made swords survive around a 100 swings before breaking? A club, or even a spear, sure. A sword? A freaking MACE?

Also, saying "magic weapons don't break" does not go against common sense, and is a classic trope going back way before fantasy was even a thing. The enchanted blade that remains sharp and pristine a 100 years after last being used.

And if we're talking common sense, like "wepaons break", then, well, "people forget stuff". Why no rolls for "among the thousand different componnents you carry in that pouch, you forgot to restock on bat ****"? If magic weapons are srill just stuff, why no "amulets tear, crowns get damaged, boots get holes"? All of these things happen far more often than a steel mace made by a master randomly shattering because I struck at my oponnent suboptimally. Especially given that all of this jewlery and clothes are carried into combat, and often into explosions.

This isn't just an arguement from balance. I get that you know martials got shafted by D&D, and I get and respect that you still want a cool thematic result to natural 1s. But this specific one is too severe, doesn't pass the common sense test, and feels especially weird when some of the sturdiest tools forged by mankind are the only ones that ever break in a combat situation. I would go for something else - like a reflex save to not drop the weapon / harm yourself (weapon damage die + half Str, say) / harm a friend (same). Stuff that actually makes sense to happen in combat situations, isn't as jarring and as arbitrary, and isn't as destructive.

15. - Top - End - #45

PaladinGuy

The debates about fumbles seem neverending. Personally, I don't think they work in D&D, I don't like 90% of the ways I've seen them implemented even in other games. You have already failed spectacularly at what you wanted to do, piling further negative effects on that random roll is a prime example of "feelbad" gameplay.

The one time I may consider using fumbles is under a "failing forward" system where they help move things along rather than kick you down further. Easier to do with skill checks than with attack rolls for sure, though.
    Last edited by Silly Name; 2021-09-03 at 05:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The debates about fumbles seem neverending. Personally, I don't think they work in D&D, I don't like 90% of the ways I've seen them implemented even in other games. You have already failed spectacularly at what you wanted to do, piling further negative effects on that random roll is a prime example of "feelbad" gameplay.

The one time I may consider using fumbles is under a "failing forward" system where they help move things along rather than kick you down further. Easier to do with skill checks than with attack rolls for sure, though.
    Yup I'm stuck perma DMing because the only other local DM uses atrocious fumble rules turning his games into castermode. It gets boring playing Batman Wizards everygame to not be punished at all by brain dead rules.

Also so many of his players have jumped ship. I just started a new group with his former players (Noted in the pathfinder post I made abit ago) and im having them run Mummys mask atm. Other than them I also have another ongoing group. It's a lot of work I guess collecting all the local players that don't want to play with a moron.
    Last edited by Lorddenorstrus; 2021-09-03 at 05:23 PM.
    Wizards are weak because they need to read! Sorcerers can take the Illiterate trait to minmax themselves to extremes that other classes can only dream of!
    Show
    DM- Overlord Campaign - Ainz wiped the floor but they did manage to clear several floor guardians. Playing - Gestalt game character WIP.

17. - Top - End - #47

Many fumble systems are also implemented in a mathematically ignorant way, resulting in experts fumbling more than novices, because the chance of fumbling is constant and experts roll more dice.

18. - Top - End - #48

GnomePirate

While I tend to agree that fumble rules, in general, are problematic from a game design standpoint, I get why people enjoy them. I'd just advise doing it in a way that doesn't conpletely destroy a combatant, and would make sense and feel right within the system.

For example, I don't think my suggestion for reflex or drop weapon is a great rule, but it sort of makes sense, isn't too punishing, and doesn't force you to think how come only X behaves like IRL while everything else doesn't.

19. - Top - End - #49

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    The two biggest I use are:

No iterative attack penalty
    Reduced to -2 at my table. Initial step for this campaign, I may take it out completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    and no movement attack penalty.
    (You can single move and make a full attack with all attacks at your base BAB.)
    I tried this. It was too good. Didn't start that way, but once movement speeds started creeping up, it became a problem.
    Now they get "Rapid Advance". Take up to HALF your move in a straight line prior to a full attack. Take charge penalties for it (but no benefits). You get a bit of maneuverability, without everyone running around the spearholders to whack the wizard in the back, or becoming ultimate kiting archers.

I have a bunch of other stuff from various posts in the thread (elephant feat tax reduction, skill combines, etc)

Few others not mentioned.

Charge to any valid square, not "the closest".

Flanking. You can ignore a flanker. You become flatfooted and flanked to him, but he provides no flanking bonuses to others.

Full str mod with all hands for dual wield. (light weapons are still half of course). Evens up damage bonus with the people using a two-hander. (actually more from Str, but less from PA still)

"Cast Defensively" removed. Either eat the AoO (and Concentration check if it hits), move back first, or use Still Spell a lot. (Related - one of my standard "custom spell creation" houserules is "remove somatic components for +1 SL" - so you could spend gold/time on getting Still versions of key spells instead of taking the feat)

Adamantine weapons reduce DR/Hardness by 20(+2 per point of Enhancement), instead of bypassing completely.
    Other DR penetrating effects work similarly (Mountain Hammer reduces hardness by IL). They generally combine, so an IL8 Mountain Hammer with a +1 Adamantine weapon would penetrate Hardness:30
    Other DR changes. DR:X/Magic is reduced 5pts per +1 of Enhancement, instead of a yes/no check. DR Silver, Iron, etc are reduced by Enhancement at 1:1, so you get some minor effect from your magic sword.
    Last edited by Elkad; 2021-09-03 at 08:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

ElfRangerGuy

1st link in my sig. Thoughts?

I believe I cover all of the common issues people have with fumbles.

21. - Top - End - #51

If you see anything you like here, feel free to take it.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Reduced to -2 at my table. Initial step for this campaign, I may take it out completely.

I tried this. It was too good. Didn't start that way, but once movement speeds started creeping up, it became a problem.
    Now they get "Rapid Advance". Take up to HALF your move in a straight line prior to a full attack. Take charge penalties for it (but no benefits). You get a bit of maneuverability, without everyone running around the spearholders to whack the wizard in the back, or becoming ultimate kiting archers.

I have a bunch of other stuff from various posts in the thread (elephant feat tax reduction, skill combines, etc)

Few others not mentioned.

Charge to any valid square, not "the closest".

Flanking. You can ignore a flanker. You become flatfooted and flanked to him, but he provides no flanking bonuses to others.

Full str mod with all hands for dual wield. (light weapons are still half of course). Evens up damage bonus with the people using a two-hander. (actually more from Str, but less from PA still)

"Cast Defensively" removed. Either eat the AoO (and Concentration check if it hits), move back first, or use Still Spell a lot. (Related - one of my standard "custom spell creation" houserules is "remove somatic components for +1 SL" - so you could spend gold/time on getting Still versions of key spells instead of taking the feat)

Adamantine weapons reduce DR/Hardness by 20(+2 per point of Enhancement), instead of bypassing completely.
    Other DR penetrating effects work similarly (Mountain Hammer reduces hardness by IL). They generally combine, so an IL8 Mountain Hammer with a +1 Adamantine weapon would penetrate Hardness:30
    Other DR changes. DR:X/Magic is reduced 5pts per +1 of Enhancement, instead of a yes/no check. DR Silver, Iron, etc are reduced by Enhancement at 1:1, so you get some minor effect from your magic sword.
    Same I modified Two Weapon Fighting to just be the same as Agile Shield Fighter kinda. Just a -2. Also rolled every TWF feat into just 1. Because dumb feat tax on the build worse than just Power attacking with a 2h wep of any kind. Yeaah not happening. Most of what I modified in 3.5 pre moving to PF and starting to learn the minor differences.. Were feat modifications really.. I did attempt giving martials full attack on movement irregardless. Didn't 5e do that anyway? But yeah it felt a little to powerful and also nobody used a charge action anymore. Tactical battlefield placement with Spells and teleports had to still seem.. important?

Otherwise I think the biggest thing was changing all stat drains to only ever go to 1. Never lower. Because "haha I Dex drain the dragon" was uh dumb. Rather than ban shivering touch and watch as they dumpster dive for some other spell. Just flat neutering the style seemed efficient. Because in the end it's bad game design. Bob charges in and does 25% of the Big Bads HP. The Cleric and Druid are in melee with spells to the boss is getting low in Hp. But Amazo the Wizard just stat drained him to 0. GG your turns were pointless. Wizard soloes 3.5 again. Yeah that's not happening. Everyone needs to be 'targetting' the same thing. ie HP. Stat drains are supposed to be debuff methods not Win Cons. Oh yeah on that note all save or dies can't find my list of modifications but basically anything that felt to "low level" i deleted because while the players will eventually walk around in immunity to death effect. Most non 'mid + range' enemies will not. Again not allowing Wizard to solo the game. This included low level creature effects I recall having to change a few to simply be high damage.. god where is my ****. (I'm packed atm moved into a temp place to live until next apt and everything is well i have no idea which box)

Uh I tried maximizing everything (PC and enemies) HP after of course as mentioned above forcing HP to be the win con of every fight. It actually made things interesting. D12 just = 12 and such. People felt beefy no complaining on rolling bad hp. It worked fine in my mid ish+ Optimization group. it did not function well in the weaker Optimization group. So I simply enforced an HP minimum of half the roll. ie Rolling 3 out of 10 = 5. No matter what.

Back on feats.. uh dodge/toughness doesn't exist if you see it as a Req, it's not really there... because that and toughness are so bad I can't expect anyone to take them as prereqs. And dodge is a pre req to some good stuff. God I need to find my written list somewhere for the rest. But anything that felt like pointless feat tax and wasn't "good" to take but you had to I either deleted or merged with something like the twf tree.
    Last edited by Lorddenorstrus; 2021-09-04 at 12:46 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    1st link in my sig. Thoughts?

I believe I cover all of the common issues people have with fumbles.
    Better than most I've seen, but still not something I think I would enjoy. I feel that Nat 1 and Nat 20 rules are ok as they are, effectively mirroring each other: Nat 1 is automatic failure, Nat 20 is automatic success (with a chance of critting). Yes, it's slightly slanted towards success being more impactful, but that's not a bad thing! Players like winning, they like doing big damage, and when a dangerous monster takes a chunk of their HP it raises the adrenaline at the table.

Also, a note: in a game where there's a whole class devoted to unarmed fighting, a "fumble" option that only affects armed fighters seems strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
    Back on feats.. uh dodge/toughness doesn't exist if you see it as a Req, it's not really there... because that and toughness are so bad I can't expect anyone to take them as prereqs. And dodge is a pre req to some good stuff. God I need to find my written list somewhere for the rest. But anything that felt like pointless feat tax and wasn't "good" to take but you had to I either deleted or merged with something like the twf tree.
    I personally modified Toughness to be Improved Toughness and Great Fortitude rolled into a single feat. Not exactly a powerhouse and neither an interesting feat to take, but I feel at least it does help make you a bit beefier for real. I also made Dodge scale with BaB (every three points of BaB, you get a +1 Dodge bonus, minimum of 1. So at BaB 6 you get +2, at BaB 9 you get +3, and so on), and also merged it with Mobility. Again, not what I'd call a powerful or versatile feat but it doesn't feel as much of a tax now.

I also made TWF into a scaling feat that improves with BaB; TWF Rangers now get Dual Strike (CAd) at level 6, and Pounce at level 11 (Charge+Full attack).

Oh, and Spring Attack doesn't exist: if it's listed somewhere as a prerequisite, that one is changed to Dodge and BaB +4. You can move before and after an attack by default. Full attacks still require a full action.

24. - Top - End - #54

ElfRangerGuy

Better than most I've seen, but still not something I think I would enjoy. I feel that Nat 1 and Nat 20 rules are ok as they are, effectively mirroring each other: Nat 1 is automatic failure, Nat 20 is automatic success (with a chance of critting). Yes, it's slightly slanted towards success being more impactful, but that's not a bad thing! Players like winning, they like doing big damage, and when a dangerous monster takes a chunk of their HP it raises the adrenaline at the table.

Also, a note: in a game where there's a whole class devoted to unarmed fighting, a "fumble" option that only affects armed fighters seems strange.
    Hence 🤚 OPTIONAL ✋. (unicode needs a jazz hands emoji)

WDYM about armed fighters?

I personally modified Toughness to be Improved Toughness and Great Fortitude rolled into a single feat. Not exactly a powerhouse and neither an interesting feat to take, but I feel at least it does help make you a bit beefier for real. I also made Dodge scale with BaB (every three points of BaB, you get a +1 Dodge bonus, minimum of 1. So at BaB 6 you get +2, at BaB 9 you get +3, and so on), and also merged it with Mobility. Again, not what I'd call a powerful or versatile feat but it doesn't feel as much of a tax now.

I also made TWF into a scaling feat that improves with BaB; TWF Rangers now get Dual Strike (CAd) at level 6, and Pounce at level 11 (Charge+Full attack).

Oh, and Spring Attack doesn't exist: if it's listed somewhere as a prerequisite, that one is changed to Dodge and BaB +4. You can move before and after an attack by default. Full attacks still require a full action.
    Toughness: Just do what pathfinder does (I did).
    Great Fortitude: Why that single feat? Makes things asymmetric. I just gave every +save feat also a reroll to make them worth.

25. - Top - End - #55

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    Hence 🤚 OPTIONAL ✋. (unicode needs a jazz hands emoji)
    Sure, I'm not saying you shouldn't use those rules if you like them. I personally don't like fumbles except in very rare cases, but when it comes to houseruling I'm of the opinion that there's no objectivity, since of course those represent each individual's desires and opinions about the game. There's only "what you and your table enjoy".

WDYM about armed fighters?
    "5: Overextend - Opponent gains immediate free disarm/sunder attempt, no AoO allowed."

That means monks (and similar types of characters who fight unarmed and unarmored) are basically never affected by this. Is this by design?

Toughness: Just do what pathfinder does (I did).
    Great Fortitude: Why that single feat? Makes things asymmetric. I just gave every +save feat also a reroll to make them worth.
    I mean, by making Toughness a package of "1 extra HP per Hit Die, and +2 to Fort saves", my version is "more powerful" than the PF one, right?

For Lightning Reflexes, I merged it with Improved Initiative (feat is named Lightning Reflexes), and Iron Will got merged with the Pure Soul feat (HoH), since I play with slightly-modified Taint rules (mostly rolling them back to OA with some fluff changed).
    Last edited by Silly Name; 2021-09-04 at 01:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Sure, I'm not saying you shouldn't use those rules if you like them. I personally don't like fumbles except in very rare cases, but when it comes to houseruling I'm of the opinion that there's no objectivity, since of course those represent each individual's desires and opinions about the game. There's only "what you and your table enjoy".
    I don't think that's quite true. Houserules are usually presented alongside goals they intend to accomplish. If you houserule Wizards to cast spontaneously on the basis that this makes Wizards less powerful, it's entirely reasonable for someone to push back on that because it does the opposite. Certainly some houserules are just "I like it better this way", but usually people are trying to achieve something, and like any rule houserules can sometimes fail to achieve the thing they set out to do.

27. - Top - End - #57

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPeasant View Post
    I don't think that's quite true. Houserules are usually presented alongside goals they intend to accomplish. If you houserule Wizards to cast spontaneously on the basis that this makes Wizards less powerful, it's entirely reasonable for someone to push back on that because it does the opposite. Certainly some houserules are just "I like it better this way", but usually people are trying to achieve something, and like any rule houserules can sometimes fail to achieve the thing they set out to do.
    I mean, true, there's some rules that fail to achieve their goal. I suppose what I meant is that I'm not going to tell someone they're playing the game wrong if they use a houserule I don't like - I can offer critique and opinions on the rule itself, but if people want to play with fumbles I can't stop them even if I deeply dislike fumbles.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

People keep talking about maximizing HP. Has anyone ever considered minimizing HP, to make muggles (and Evocation) great again?

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Most of the houserules I use are designed to make it more mechanically fun and to play non-casters (defined as "I didn't get any spells or SLA's (sometimes Supernatural abilties get lumped in here too) when I leveled up"). Extra skill points, a larger hit die, and even giving them a free progression of Vow of Poverty benefits without any of the requirements. All designed to make the fighters, rogues etc feel more like they have a specialized role in which to shine (yes, casters probably still do it better, but there's only so much you can do).
    Has anyone tried doubling up, and actually taking VoP?

29. - Top - End - #59

I like half hp +1. So a barbarian would get 7 + con per level.

30. - Top - End - #60

I don't really care what you do, just do something that isn't random. The variance in hit die size is generally much smaller than the variance in CON modifier anyway.