New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Interesting druidic spells

I'm in search of some interesting (i.e. non-Core, potentially 3pp) druidic spells for an OSR D&D thing I'm working on. Either 3.5, Pathfinder, or 5e would work. I've already got the Core books (PHB for 3.5 and 5e, Core rulebook for Pathfinder). Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting druidic spells

One of my favorites that PF added is the Entice Fey line, which is basically Planar Ally but for fey creatures. Much like Planar Ally, this can get you some long-lasting backup and fill a role your party might be lacking such as scout, skillmonkey or healer, and because you're not coercing the creature like you would be with a Binding spell, there is much less chance of GM screw.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    One of my favorites that PF added is the Entice Fey line, which is basically Planar Ally but for fey creatures. Much like Planar Ally, this can get you some long-lasting backup and fill a role your party might be lacking such as scout, skillmonkey or healer, and because you're not coercing the creature like you would be with a Binding spell, there is much less chance of GM screw.
    Huh. What book is that from?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkingdom View Post
    Huh. What book is that from?
    Those spells are in Ultimate Intrigue, so fairly late in PF1's run.

Some other interesting ones from PF1:

Ice Armor - great defensive option early in your career. Stacks with wildshape AND barkskin, and even before those you probably can't afford breastplate anyway (or wear it without hurting your vows.)
    Beastspeak - Solves one of the bigger problems of wild shape, likely before you can afford a more permanent solution.
    Summon Minor Ally - one word: skunks! 3 of them can end encounters early on, and the enemies suck even if they save.
    Planetarium - be able to watch the sky/stars even while underground or indoors
    Life Blast - Positive Energy attack!
    Outbreak / Epidemic / Plague Bearer - Fun for disease-themed druids. Hey, bacteria and viruses are life too right?
    Commune with Nature / Tectonic Communion - If any part of your campaign takes place outdoors this is bound to be useful.
    Stone Discus - big damage for casty druids early on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I've always liked the old-school Call Lightning... takes 10 minutes to cast, but gives you long-term ability to call down powerful lightning. A siege weapon.

While later editions turned into a class feature, I also think they should get something like Find Familiar... the animal companion they got in 3e was often too powerful, but a familiar would be thematically appropriate without being too much.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6

Credit where it's due, 5e's Bones of the Earth is pretty neat. It makes a bunch of stone pillars that either mash enemies against the ceiling, or put them at the top of very tall pillars with nowhere to move.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    Credit where it's due, 5e's Bones of the Earth is pretty neat. It makes a bunch of stone pillars that either mash enemies against the ceiling, or put them at the top of very tall pillars with nowhere to move.
    Huh, that's pretty neat. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I was always a fan of the old "Transmute metal to wood" spell. Big Bad wearing plate armor? Not any more! Now he's wearing a kitchen cabinet! Follow it up with "Warp Wood" and juice-press him with his own armor!
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pathfinder 2e added four new favorites of mine.

Lose the Path, a Reaction cast level 1 spell that causes a creature to be moving through difficult terrain (or you control where they move on a crit fail!) for one action.

Protector Tree, in which you cause a tree to sprout from the earth, and for the next minute it'll body-block any attacks in your allies under its boughs. And the tree sticks around if it isn't destroyed by said attacks!

Burning Blossoms, which creates a 100ft tall tree with burning cherry blossoms that incinerate anyone who stands under it with their falling petals, and is hypnotically beautiful to the point of luring anyone who can see it to stand under its boughs.

Summon Kaiju lets you do a Final Fantasy style summon of Godzilla or your selection of six other kaiju, letting them rampage for two turns before vanishing. It's great.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2021-09-10 at 03:32 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

It was a bit of a cheap cop-out, but I also liked the Ironwood spell... turn item of wood into something as strong as iron!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.