New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Magic Gems that attach to Items

Hello everyone,

Somewhere in 3.5, I believe it might have been Magic Compendium maybe?, there was this new magic item that was some sort of runes/gems that you could attack to other items (mostly weapons from what I remember) that would grant new abilities to them.

The nifty thing about them is that you could de-attach them and attack them to another item, so it was like an upgrade tha was not bound to a particular item and you could bring it along if you ever found a better weapon than your current one.

Anyone remember the name of it and in what book exactly there were?
    Arena Medals:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Gems that attach to Items

Quote Originally Posted by arkol View Post
    Hello everyone,

Somewhere in 3.5, I believe it might have been Magic Compendium maybe?, there was this new magic item that was some sort of runes/gems that you could attack to other items (mostly weapons from what I remember) that would grant new abilities to them.

The nifty thing about them is that you could de-attach them and attack them to another item, so it was like an upgrade tha was not bound to a particular item and you could bring it along if you ever found a better weapon than your current one.

Anyone remember the name of it and in what book exactly there were?
    Augment Crystals.
    Magic Item Compendium.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Gems that attach to Items

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    Augment Crystals.
    Magic Item Compendium.
    This is probably what you were thinking of, but one Eberron book also had "Dragonshard Pommel Stones" - items that you enchant as a magic weapon, then attach to a weapon to replace its existing properties with those of the stone.