New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How about to use a Disembodied Spirit?

The template was created as a plot contrivance for an adventure - it was a neat idea and adventure hook, for sure, but the author probably could have been a lot clearer on the mechanical side of how the template works.

Also, using the Ghost mechanic of "cannot be laid to rest until the reason for it's restlessness is discovered and addressed" seems really weird, since the template is basically the result a malignant magic effect. It's not like their spirits are wandering because they never finished that jigsaw puzzle on the coffee table at home. I would assume that destroying the portal that created them would meet the condition of laying them to rest, since that is addressing the cause of their restlessness?

The fluff indicates that the separated bodies survive for a time before dying. Is the death from dehydration or malnutrition? Would turning them to stone or otherwise putting them in some kind of stasis prevent the death? If someone Magic Jar's or otherwise possesses the body, does it still die?

Additionally, no method is really given for how to return the body to life. Will a simple Raise Dead work, or can the body not be raised until the spirit is freed? Is the portal considered a "death effect" requiring a Resurrection or better?

Like I said, really neat adventure hook, but so many unanswered questions. I'm thinking of actually writing one of these portals into my campaign, but I'll have to homebrew or houserule a bunch of info on how stuff works first.

Looks like the author, Robert Wiese, wrote a few of the free WotC short adventures: Jungle Secrets, Legend of the Silver Skeleton (which I quite enjoyed), Sheep's Clothing, Shoals of Intrigue, War of Dragons and Wreck Ashore.

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?...Robert%20Wiese
    https://index.rpg.net/display-search...e=Robert+Wiese

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Thread I saw today made me realise the similarities between this template, and the effect of the Void card from DoMT.

The Void
    This black card spells instant disaster. The character’s body continues to function, as though comatose, but her psyche is trapped in a prison somewhere—in an object on a far plane or planet, possibly in the possession of an outsider. A wish or a miracle does not bring the character back, instead merely revealing the plane of entrapment. Draw no more cards.
    Not sure that adds any useful info to this conversation, but I found it interesting...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Thread I saw today made me realise the similarities between this template, and the effect of the Void card from DoMT.

Not sure that adds any useful info to this conversation, but I found it interesting...
    Now, if a Disembodied Spirit with Ghostly Grasp drew the Void card, would it somehow separate your incorporeal non-body from your psyche, or just send the whole package to the prison?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2021-09-18 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise