New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing 5: New Thread+

More Kingmaker Adventures. Sadly it took me a while to realise that not resting while travelling makes fighting impossible. So after convincing Linzi to rejoin me and visiting the hut I had to sacrifice Amri to get out of a random encounter.

Which leads to another annoyance, these enemies are too hard. Assaulting the Slaver camp with only 4 level 2 characters was heard, because every enemy took 4+ hits to defeat and I swear that rolls are weighted against the player. Like I'm told I need an 8 or 7 to hit and I miss with every character, while enemies seem to get sightly better luck. I know that clumping is in the nature of random rolls, but it seems to be happening consistently. Also it looks like most enemy archers took Rapid Shot, with them firing two arrows most of the time.

But I did it, by inching forward and exploiting how the game decides what enemies are in combat, and finally recruited Octavia and Regongar, who fill out the party nicely. Octavia will probably be sent into Arcane Trickster in a few levels, while I'll swap Linzi out once I get an actual Cleric. Next time it's onto the Temple of the Elk and trying to beat the boss there again.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I've picked up WotR, and started a playthrough as a Longbow-specced Slayer, going for a "pragmatic self-interest" bounty hunter/assassin type of personality, picking Norgorber as deity: There's good money in hunting demons/cultists/"cultists" after all, and enough politics that less public contracts could get lucrative. Aiding demons and risking/harming the crusaders' cause/defenses are an obvious no to anyone with a brain, but there's no point to being a zealot or risking yourself needlessly either.

Now working my way through occupied Kenabres, and damn, that Hulrun's paranoid. Understandable, to a point, but stubbornly holding out on your own and killing people for mere suspicion, when you should be gathering every body you can throw at the demons, is just.... stupid. Killing THE inquisitor in the city is an immense risk, but I imagine I might have to if he keeps it up. Wonder if you can pin it on the demons, if so: can't be that hard to convince anyone he was inquisiting at the time to say "yup, demons got him".

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    More Kingmaker Adventures. Sadly it took me a while to realise that not resting while travelling makes fighting impossible. So after convincing Linzi to rejoin me and visiting the hut I had to sacrifice Amri to get out of a random encounter.

Which leads to another annoyance, these enemies are too hard. Assaulting the Slaver camp with only 4 level 2 characters was heard, because every enemy took 4+ hits to defeat and I swear that rolls are weighted against the player. Like I'm told I need an 8 or 7 to hit and I miss with every character, while enemies seem to get sightly better luck. I know that clumping is in the nature of random rolls, but it seems to be happening consistently. Also it looks like most enemy archers took Rapid Shot, with them firing two arrows most of the time.

But I did it, by inching forward and exploiting how the game decides what enemies are in combat, and finally recruited Octavia and Regongar, who fill out the party nicely. Octavia will probably be sent into Arcane Trickster in a few levels, while I'll swap Linzi out once I get an actual Cleric. Next time it's onto the Temple of the Elk and trying to beat the boss there again.
    There're a few companions who are good fits for prestige classes: Octavia as Arcane Trickster is most obvious, but Valerie as Stalwart Defender is both in-character and adds even more AC, and Regongag makes a decent dragon disciple. Requires a tad of build planning though.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-10-25 at 07:56 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    There're a few companions who are good fits for prestige classes: Octavia as Arcane Trickster is most obvious, but Valerie as Stalwart Defender is both in-character and adds even more AC, and Regongag makes a decent dragon disciple. Requires a tad of build planning though.
    Yeah, I noticed that. Doesn't really require much planning though, for Octavia you just need to get her enough Sneak Attack as well as spells while pumping the right skills, whereas all Valarie seems to be missing is BAB (not 100% sure, can't remember as she's not in my party).

The big thing the game has made me want to do is pay D&D, which is a bit strange. But I've got Pathfinder 2e on order now, even though Kingmaker uses 1e, and might see if I can whip up a game.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

4. - Top - End - #364

BardGuy

Yeah, I noticed that. Doesn't really require much planning though, for Octavia you just need to get her enough Sneak Attack as well as spells while pumping the right skills, whereas all Valarie seems to be missing is BAB (not 100% sure, can't remember as she's not in my party).

The big thing the game has made me want to do is pay D&D, which is a bit strange. But I've got Pathfinder 2e on order now, even though Kingmaker uses 1e, and might see if I can whip up a game.
    I mostly meant that Reg as dragon disciple takes some planning in terms of required skills & picking spells/feats that work with budding dragonhood, though on rereading it, that intent wasn't nearly as clear as I thought in my post. Valerie indeed only misses her BAB and thus is straightforward if you just want to pump AC, but the dazzling display feat tree works pretty good for her as an addition to that.

I really love that WotR actually shows which feats lead to new feats: still short of showing the full tree, but at least I don't need to alt-tab constantly whenever I level up if I want to properly build the characters.

And yeah, Kingmaker left me with quite the desire to play a kineticist at some point, and I can't seem to find a proper homebrew version for 5e. Luckily, the other DM of my group's played WotR as well and wouldn't mind doing a pathfinder campaign now, so who knows.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-10-25 at 10:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

So, I went and tried playing Sora online in Smash Ultimate today. And gah. I think I enjoy him - he wouldn't be one of my favorites, but definitely one I'd play every so often. But good gods, I cannot take Smash Ultimate's online anymore. It's so bad. Finding a match that doesn't feel ridiculously laggy is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and it gives you no help in doing so. I just can't put up with that anymore. I love Smash Ultimate, but as someone who mainly plays his fighting games online, it's a damn shame how bad the state of Smash's is. I haven't seen a fighting game I love this much saddled with such bad online since Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Meanwhile, over in God of War, I'm getting towards the end. I've now fought the Valkyries, and was very pleased with how those fights went on the higher difficulty. Aside from the first (who is obviously deliberately made to be an intro to the basics of what they do), all felt challenging, and most took me several tries. Sigrun is still an absolutely excellent fight, the best the game has to offer IMO - though I think I had better equipment this time than in my first file, which made her just a touch easier. At least, she didn't take me as many tries as I remember from my first file. I kind of want to see that fight on the highest difficulty now. Maybe I'll consider doing a run on that difficulty closer to when Ragnarok comes out next year.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

I mostly meant that Reg as dragon disciple takes some planning in terms of required skills & picking spells/feats that work with budding dragonhood, though on rereading it, that intent wasn't nearly as clear as I thought in my post. Valerie indeed only misses her BAB and thus is straightforward if you just want to pump AC, but the dazzling display feat tree works pretty good for her as an addition to that.

I really love that WotR actually shows which feats lead to new feats: still short of showing the full tree, but at least I don't need to alt-tab constantly whenever I level up if I want to properly build the characters.

And yeah, Kingmaker left me with quite the desire to play a kineticist at some point, and I can't seem to find a proper homebrew version for 5e. Luckily, the other DM of my group's played WotR as well and wouldn't mind doing a pathfinder campaign now, so who knows.
    At the moment I've actually pushed Valarie more towards attack bonus, she doesn't exactly hit an that often. But I'll consider it when her next great slot arrives.

Regongar might not stay in the party, while useful he spends too much time in the 'Deaths Door' state, I'll set who arrives in Chapter 2. Got a few levels until he can go Dragon Disciple though, while Octavia can nab Arcane Trickster as soon as she hits 5 (thanks to that +SA Feat).

Even when I've finished Kingmaker Wrath of the Righteous will have to wait until it comes down in price. I just don't have the money to buy near release games. But sounds like a useful feature.

My PF2 book arrives tomorrow, and then it's just finding a group. But I've browsed the SRD and it seems to solve a lot of my problems with 5e, particularly the fact that proficiency bonus has multiple tiers, Feats and ASIs are decoupled, and racial fears are an amazing idea. But that's off topic.

Show

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

So I like finished my modded version of Sith Lords 2 and the restored content mod pack while interesting is.....eh, not that different from the original but it does allow for some more options.

But now I'll start playing Age of Empires IV tomorrow, I started with 3 and have played 2, so I'm excited to play this one, try it out, see what has changed. sure I haven't played 3 or 2 for a while, but I liked them, so I'm willing to be a little rusty so I can start a little fresh with IV.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #368
    Banned

I've been playing more Riftbreaker. It's good, although a bit too easy. I ended up restarting my game on the hardest difficulty after a few hours and it's still way too easy. None of the swarms they've thrown at me have been much of a challenge. I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up as I go along though.

Other than the ease of dealing with the swarms the game is solid though. It's basically Factorio meets They Are Billions, which are both great games in their own right. It's less busywork than Factorio though, and doesn't have the enormous learning curve, which I personally consider a good thing.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Started up "Where the Water Tastes Like Wine". Bittersweet story-collecting game, but a hair slow. Also, the controls aren't intuitive. Great soundtrack though.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Started up "Where the Water Tastes Like Wine". Bittersweet story-collecting game, but a hair slow. Also, the controls aren't intuitive. Great soundtrack though.
    Yeah, I remember trying it some time ago. Pretty good concept, writing and style, but a little grating in its delivery.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Been sicker than a dog this week, so reverted to playing very mindless stuff, by which I mean Grim Dawn. As with most Diablo clones, I like the initial portion of the game, which is strange and exploratory, and I get bored about the level where my build starts to come online, since at that point its no longer exploring the space of characters such as sticking to one like a limpet with separation anxiety.

My PF2 book arrives tomorrow, and then it's just finding a group. But I've browsed the SRD and it seems to solve a lot of my problems with 5e, particularly the fact that proficiency bonus has multiple tiers, Feats and ASIs are decoupled, and racial fears are an amazing idea. But that's off topic.
    I haven't played it, but Pathfinder 2e is potentially the least interesting rpg that I own. The 3AP system is a very good idea, and a vast improvement over the horrible mess of move/standard/full/swift/free/bonus/quick/dollarValueAction that most d20 games use, and there's a couple other nifty ideas in there - different levels of proficiency is good, moves that can only be used once a round, but the rest is just... urg. It takes an overwhelmingly presciptivist, rules-first approach to everything, to the point where it feels like if you don't have a feat or a spell saying you can tie your shoes, you can't tie your shoes. And it's still an ungodly mess of modifiers and running addition/subtraction problems and so on. I'd have a lot more patience with it if it was at least vaguely simulationist in approach, but this is hardcore game uber alles how can I be having fun if I don't have 57 different buttons to push 55 of which don't matter just let me make the numbers change game design. It's like somebody decided writing down a videogame and using humans as cpus was a good idea.

Rumor has it that it's getting its ass kicked in terms of sales, and I can see why, because I cannot begin to imagine playing, let alone teaching, somebody this thing. As ideas go, it's about as appealing as sitting around taking turns filling out tax forms. It isn't even fun or weird bad, it's just the endstage evolution of the absolute worst tendencies of 3rd edition.

Also, the art sucks.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, D&D 5e is, to me, a far worse system. Plus I'm not putting the effort into tracking down a 1e book. But nothing you've said it's a deal breaker for me, just a reason they it isn't suitable for every game/group.

But hey, it's not like it's the only game book I got in the post today. Kingmaker will be resumed after I've had a chance to read.

Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Regongar might not stay in the party, while useful he spends too much time in the 'Deaths Door' state, I'll set who arrives in Chapter 2. Got a few levels until he can go Dragon Disciple though, while Octavia can nab Arcane Trickster as soon as she hits 5 (thanks to that +SA Feat).
    Reg HEAVILY benefits from a higher constitution; his strength is great, but he's practically a paper tiger. I find that Magus is also a problematic class, or maybe I just don't use them well.

A good mix with Reg is Magus 13 (to get Heavy Armor), then go Dragon Disciple. If you make 20, he'll get MOST of the goody out of both. While Magus favors him using a single-handed weapon (so he can dual-wield with spell and weapon), I like to give him a two-hander to take advantage of his Strength (and power attack, and Corungon's Smash), and, if I can swing it, a two-handed, reach, shock weapon. The reach makes his use of touch spells less painful (since he's less likely to be in range).

He's still not one of my favorite characters to use, but he's got potential.

My usual line-up is
    Myself (Archaeologist/Dragon Disciple), specced mostly to melee. I've taken to making sure she picks up Martial Weapons and uses a reach weapon; limits her biting on full attacks, but keeps her safer.

Anvil 1. Usually Valerie. She mostly melees, but I've also taken to using her as a slow-moving ranged character... Move, Kinetic Blast, then move to melee. Not as powerful as my other two kineticists (since they don't need to move, so can throw more powerful blasts), but she's armored to hell and swinging a frost shock mace, so she's a good anvil.

Melee Damager. Usually Amiri, sometimes Nok Nok or Reg. Nok Nok does frightening damage, but he's fragile. Amiri and Reg are less fragile. Jaethal can fit in this spot, but I find her specialty usually overlaps with my own. Her "bane weapon" ability can be really useful, but being undead, she takes less advantage of Channel Energy heals to the party.

Anvil 2. Usually Harrim. Heavy armor, clerical support. Jaethal does OK in this, but she isn't the healer (no channel energy), and wears less armor.

Ranged 1. Usually Ekundayo, with a single level of Paladin. Okbo is a useful extra melee bonus. Sometimes Lindzi or Jubilost, or the Tiefling Twins.

Ranged 2/Support. Tristan, usually. Can be Lindzi or Octavia or the Tiefling Twins.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Banned

So it turns out that completing outpost missions in Riftbreaker makes the swarms you fight harder. The game doesn't tell you that though. I found out the hard way after doing a bunch of outpost missions in a row and suddenly coming back to swarms that were able to actually penetrate my (admittedly poor) defenses. Harder swarms was what the game was missing for me though, so I'm certainly not complaining.

15. - Top - End - #375

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Reg HEAVILY benefits from a higher constitution; his strength is great, but he's practically a paper tiger. I find that Magus is also a problematic class, or maybe I just don't use them well.

A good mix with Reg is Magus 13 (to get Heavy Armor), then go Dragon Disciple. If you make 20, he'll get MOST of the goody out of both. While Magus favors him using a single-handed weapon (so he can dual-wield with spell and weapon), I like to give him a two-hander to take advantage of his Strength (and power attack, and Corungon's Smash), and, if I can swing it, a two-handed, reach, shock weapon. The reach makes his use of touch spells less painful (since he's less likely to be in range).

He's still not one of my favorite characters to use, but he's got potential.

My usual line-up is
    Myself (Archaeologist/Dragon Disciple), specced mostly to melee. I've taken to making sure she picks up Martial Weapons and uses a reach weapon; limits her biting on full attacks, but keeps her safer.

Anvil 1. Usually Valerie. She mostly melees, but I've also taken to using her as a slow-moving ranged character... Move, Kinetic Blast, then move to melee. Not as powerful as my other two kineticists (since they don't need to move, so can throw more powerful blasts), but she's armored to hell and swinging a frost shock mace, so she's a good anvil.

Melee Damager. Usually Amiri, sometimes Nok Nok or Reg. Nok Nok does frightening damage, but he's fragile. Amiri and Reg are less fragile. Jaethal can fit in this spot, but I find her specialty usually overlaps with my own. Her "bane weapon" ability can be really useful, but being undead, she takes less advantage of Channel Energy heals to the party.

Anvil 2. Usually Harrim. Heavy armor, clerical support. Jaethal does OK in this, but she isn't the healer (no channel energy), and wears less armor.

Ranged 1. Usually Ekundayo, with a single level of Paladin. Okbo is a useful extra melee bonus. Sometimes Lindzi or Jubilost, or the Tiefling Twins.

Ranged 2/Support. Tristan, usually. Can be Lindzi or Octavia or the Tiefling Twins.
    My lineup consisted of

PC: full sword (rapier) saint, mainly melee damager who can tank when necessary through the +Int to AC, and his shield, mirror image, and displacement. Great Nova potential as well, but limited in bursts due to the arcane pool. Feats almost all went to melee combat and mild AC buffs like dodge, with limited metamagic capability through magus arcana (maximized and empowered 3/day, specifically). Spells were mostly the expected touch attacks and self-buffs like mirror image, shield and displacement.

Sword Saint is probably one of the more busted archetypes in the game, I think. Quite a lot better than vanilla magus.

Valerie: Main tank, and little else. Mix between Stalwart Defender and Fighter, even after qualifying for SD as fighter gets more feats. Picked mostly AC improvements, in addition to the Dazzling Display feat tree and weapon specialization (Broadsword).

Jaethal: Additional melee damager whose main role is actually buffing. Does decent damage, but she essentially serves as an ambulatory delivery system for Freedom of Movement/Death Ward/etc., and some healing/self healing. Full Inquisitor.

Ekundayo: Ranged 1, as he's the best built companion in-game, and comes with a seventh companion who's also a great front-liner. Full ranger, built for maximal Longbow carnage and some companion buffing.

Tristian: Nuke/Support 1, full cleric. Guy makes a terrific pyromaniac once you get in the mid-levels (which is when I realized and respecced him), and he can still prep support/control spells in addition, or whenever necessary. Pumping up his spell DC also helps him serve as battlefield control, and channeling + converting healing on the fly keeps that up. Spell specialization: Flame Strike on a flame specialist gets ridiculous almost instantly.

Ranged 2/Support 2: Linzi, Bard with a level of Rogue. Mostly support, but the level of rogue and accomplished sneak attacker feat keep her capable of secondary ranged support as well.

I sometimes switched out Jaethal for Amiri, where I mixed barb with Two-handed Fighter, but without Jaethal Tristian had to sacrifice control/nuking for more support spells, which I disliked. Switching Linzi for AT-Octavia worked pretty well, but my character meshed better with Linzi RP-wise.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

My current setup is:

PC: secondary tank/melee damage. A standard scimitar+shield Fighter who gets next to as many enemies as possible and power attacks. AC buffed to 27. Neutral leaving LG turn between going Fighter 20 and

Valarie: primary tank. Not had a chance to nab Dazzling Display yet, but instead has good damage study her bastard sword. Currently just waiting for Stalwart Defender to unlock.

Amri: primary melee damager, at the moment just swinging her massive sword and occasionally raging. Might branch her into Fighter, might keep her as a pure Barbarian.

Regongar: kind of just filling a slot as primary magical damage dealer. Likely to be dropped in favour of any Evokers or Sorcerers who come along, massive a Ranger.

Octavia: support spellcaster. She loses a level due to also being a Rogue, but with that headband of intellect I picked up from the slavers she's on par. Focusing primarily on buffs and Transmutation-based debuffs. She's also the One With Trickstery and serves as the party Rogue. Going Arcane Trickster next level.

Tristrian: support caster/healer, focusing on Wisdom to hopefully improve any biasing spells he gets.

Show

17. - Top - End - #377

My lineup consisted of
    Tristian: Nuke/Support 1, full cleric. Guy makes a terrific pyromaniac once you get in the mid-levels (which is when I realized and respecced him), and he can still prep support/control spells in addition, or whenever necessary. Pumping up his spell DC also helps him serve as battlefield control, and channeling + converting healing on the fly keeps that up. Spell specialization: Flame Strike on a flame specialist gets ridiculous almost instantly.
    One thing I've mentioned before... I spec Tristan to Cleric (6)/Empyreal Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge, with as few touch/ranged touch spells as possible. It keeps him solely Wisdom-based caster. I also push him to be a summoner (in fact, if you take Spell Focus: Conjuring at 5th, you can take both Augment and Superior Summoning on your first Sorcerer level at 7th). It fits with his eventual disability, and there's great utility in having a ton of meat shields on the field. Careful sorcerer spell choice (i.e. no spells that rely on an attack roll) and he can toss a TON of magic downfield, especially when his ranged options become limited and he is emphatically not a melee character.

Ranged 2/Support 2: Linzi, Bard with a level of Rogue. Mostly support, but the level of rogue and accomplished sneak attacker feat keep her capable of secondary ranged support as well.
    I may have to try this out. I know putting the Necklace of Double Crosses on Ekundayo has made him a scary powerhouse (d8 + 2d6 acid on most shots, +2d6 more sneak attack on flat-footed targets), but that could also help Linzi. Plus, once she hits 12th level bard, she's got that Mass Cure Critical Wounds thing going. If only there were a selective channel option for that...
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Well due to the Stag Lord boss being a little bit difficult in taking a short break from Kingmaker. Instead I picked up the N Sane and Reignited trilogies in the Steam sale and have been enjoying the nostalgia. I've got to say that, despite having played a lot more Crash before, I think Spyro has held up a lot better. I'm going to enjoy getting too try the other PS1 titles for the first time.

Plus I swear that Spyro's glide is just slightly shorter, it's been years but I'm sure the timing was never this strict on the first world glides. Also in each level I've got all the dragons and eggs but but all the gems, looks like I'll be coming back after Gnasty Gnorc to find them for 100%.

And I'm very glad that I can turn off the motion blur in both games, as well as the fur blur in Spyro.

Show

19. - Top - End - #379

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    One thing I've mentioned before... I spec Tristan to Cleric (6)/Empyreal Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge, with as few touch/ranged touch spells as possible. It keeps him solely Wisdom-based caster. I also push him to be a summoner (in fact, if you take Spell Focus: Conjuring at 5th, you can take both Augment and Superior Summoning on your first Sorcerer level at 7th). It fits with his eventual disability, and there's great utility in having a ton of meat shields on the field. Careful sorcerer spell choice (i.e. no spells that rely on an attack roll) and he can toss a TON of magic downfield, especially when his ranged options become limited and he is emphatically not a melee character.
    ...huh, wonder why I never thought of that. Makes for a great build indeed.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

So, after finishing God of War (and now that much more eager for Ragnarok), I've started playing a game that's I've been sitting on since it came out in July: Neo: The World Ends With You. The sequel to a 13-year-old DS game that came straight out of nowhere.

I've just finished the first week, and the game's definitely fun, and very much hasn't missed a beat from the original. The music, the feel of the combat (despite the change-up due to the lack of the DS's two screens and touch screen), the wacky mechanics like gaining stats from eating at restaurants, the styles, the characters, all feels spot on. It was great having Minamimoto on the team for that first week - only character I've ever seen who can somehow make puns sound cool. Math puns, no less. But I'm not terribly surprised that he split after week one, given he always obviously had some other agenda (and knowing who he is from the first game, well, of course he did). Since he was the strongest of the group by a solid margin, though, I expect that to up the difficulty on me. Which is good, honestly, because until literally the last day that first week was no challenge at all, even playing on hard difficulty and keeping me level 4 below my maximum to increase drop rates.

I am very curious about the masked guy that showed himself at the end of the first week, though.
    Spoiler: For the first game mostly.
    Show
    Some of the characters implied that he was Neku, but if that's the case, he must've dyed his hair or something, because he wasn't blonde, his hair was more orange, and the parts of the masked guy's hair that were visible outside his hoodie looked blonde. Which means if he's someone from the first game the main candidates would be Joshua or Beat... except he seems too skinny for Beat, and Joshua, well... there's a lot of questions that'd pop up if it's him. But hey, considering his role in the first game, I guess him doing weird things wouldn't be that unusual. Though if it's him, it would beg the question of why the current Game Master and his cronies seem to think it's Neku.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #381

...huh, wonder why I never thought of that. Makes for a great build indeed.
    So, I tried something new with Valerie:
    Fighter 1/ Slayer 7/ Stalwart Defender

Slayer 7 gives her 2 Sneak Attack Dice (great for someone who works as an anvil... i.e. "People come attack me, so you guys come fight them near me"), and swift action studied target. Going into Stalwart Defender gives her the opportunity for temporary HP and talents related to her stance.

Kineticist was OK, but it meant she was either not a very good kineticist or she had to give up carrying a weapon for Attacks of Opportunity... neither of which was great.
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Finished "Where the Water Tastes Like Wine".

*sighs*

I wanted to like it so much. The music and the voice acting are wonderful, but the bugs caused seriously frustration in playing. And the controls weren't intuitive. It took me more than halfway through the game to figure out how to switch out between stories.

Finished "The Last Crown: Midnight Horror". It was a gift from a friend. Eh.

Finished "The Silent Age". Short game, finished in a day, but it was a lot more intense. I liked it.

23. - Top - End - #383

Musing about Kingmaker, and the characters they did not make...

There were no Aasimar playable NPCs. I kind of think they should have made either Valerie or Tristan one. Valerie, especially, would have furthered the "Chosen of Sheyln" thing they tried to push on her.

There were no Druid, Monk, Paladin, Sorcerer, or Slayer playable NPCs. I'm not quite sure how they should have handled that, but it feels like they could have made some changes to expand on that. Harrim could have been a Blight Druid with Destruction domain, for example. Nok Nok could have been a Slayer. Heck, to my knowledge, the Slayer class didn't get used at all, if you didn't specifically pick it... like, I know there were Paladins in the game, and Tartuccio is a Sorcerer who you have for all of the introduction, and there's mentions of druids and monks... but no Slayers.
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Slayer wasn't in the game on launch.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Have been playing Dead by Daylight and although you can get some toxic messages from time to time, playing as both Survivor and Killer can be immensely enjoyable.

Just began playing Call of Cthulhu... what a pity. Good story. Terrible gameplay.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I finally jumped on the Subnautica bandwagon

Great game, so much I can say!

Last night I finally build the Cyclops and I do have some questions regarding this vehicle:

1. How do you change altitude?

2. Was I blind or are beacons and other waypoints not displayed when in the Cyclops?
    I kinda need them for orientation...

3. The energy consumption of the Cyclops seems massive - even when standing still. Are you supposed to build a Bio-Reactor or so whithin the hull?

All in all I didn't feel safe or at ease within the Cyclops, which was a bit surprising to me

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

1: Shift goes down, space goes up, works better when moving.

2: They should be. May have to toggle them on/off in the menu while driving.

3: Make sure when you dock the Seamoth or Prawnsuit those are as fully charged as possible. The Cyclops will try to charge them and they're surprisingly energy hungry. And no, not a Bio-Reactor, but there's an upgrade you can get that will fix your power issues, but it's a bit later in the game.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

28. - Top - End - #388
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    So, I finally jumped on the Subnautica bandwagon

Great game, so much I can say!

Last night I finally build the Cyclops and I do have some questions regarding this vehicle:

1. How do you change altitude?

2. Was I blind or are beacons and other waypoints not displayed when in the Cyclops?
    I kinda need them for orientation...

3. The energy consumption of the Cyclops seems massive - even when standing still. Are you supposed to build a Bio-Reactor or so whithin the hull?

All in all I didn't feel safe or at ease within the Cyclops, which was a bit surprising to me
    C goes down, space goes up. Beacons should be visible. There's an easy to find upgrade for the cyclops engine that makes it 300% more efficient. It does not stack. Also, silent running uses a ridiculous amount of power. Only use it when you actually need it.

The cyclops is always going to have some energy issues, at least until late game, but that's the trade off for having such a mobile base. Make sure you're using the cameras to navigate. Also, you can build inside of it if you didn't already know.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-11-03 at 05:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    C goes down, space goes up. Beacons should be visible. There's an easy to find upgrade for the cyclops engine that makes it 300% more efficient. It does not stack. Also, silent running uses a ridiculous amount of power. Only use it when you actually need it.
    And if you have the shield upgrade, *really* don't use it unless you're desperate, because it drinks power like it's going out of fashion.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, ok :-)
    Thanks!

So I guess installing a wall locker in the Cyclops full of PowerCells will be my next project then