New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: What Are You Playing 5: New Thread+

I'm going to be a heretic. Fallout: New Vegas is...mediocre. At least at being what I want out of an open-world fallout (or elder scrolls) game. There's just so much empty, so few locations. And exploring places is 90% of why I play that kind of game. Sure, the story is ok (for an open world game), but that's not why I play those kinds of games.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I fully get why V is very much a Marmite character. Specific attacks and combos are much harder to pull off, and I've found myself using Griffon's defensive moves by accent far too many times. I just personally enjoy him.

Of course, a lot would be solved of you only had to play as V on your first run, and then unlocked the ability to play any stage with any character after beating Mission 20.

So far I do have one complaint. Why did I have to wait until halfway through Dante's first mission to buy Stinger? I had the red orbs to purchase it, but I was locked out of Dante's ability menu.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post

Oh no, no Donald or Goofy. The full presentation included detailed looks at Sora's moveset, stage, and even the spirits that are coming with him, and aside from the Mickey Mouse head keychain hanging off the Keyblade, they studiously avoided any Disney stuff. Most likely because that would've cost an arm and a leg extra. I mean, the big reason he's so surprising is precisely because being co-owned by Square-Enix and Disney means there must have been a gordian knot of legal issues to sort out to get him into the game at all.
    I'm just assuming it opens the door for something eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I'm going to be a heretic. Fallout: New Vegas is...mediocre. At least at being what I want out of an open-world fallout (or elder scrolls) game. There's just so much empty, so few locations. And exploring places is 90% of why I play that kind of game. Sure, the story is ok (for an open world game), but that's not why I play those kinds of games.
    Well, it's over a decade old. I think it holds up well compared to similar games from its era. I never felt like it was empty though, except certain parts of the map that are that way by design.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, it's over a decade old. I think it holds up well compared to similar games from its era. I never felt like it was empty though, except certain parts of the map that are that way by design.
    Well, it *is* the Mojave Desert, it's not exactly the most densely populated place even before a nuclear holocaust! TBH, yes, the southern half of the map is a bit bare, but the North has a lot more places of interest.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

and the real strength of New Vegas is arguably not the exploration aspect, but that you have so many options you can do for the quests that are there? that pretty much anything you do leads to a planned ending. in many other games your almost always bound to one way a quest can unfold, maybe presented with a binary choice if the devs design for it, but in New Vegas there is tons of options not explicitly laid out but left for you to experiment and test to discover, and what a good ending you can get, depends on what your definition of "good" is. What other games do better in terms of graphics, exploration and such, they ignored in terms of quest design and how much freedom of choice you have in actually resolving something other than ignoring it and walking around in wilderness to go do random things.

New Vegas can be a breath of fresh air when you get tired of a more modern game where despite all the other advances made, you still mindlessly complete a quest without really caring about the problem because its all linear and unchanging.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    That's because it's not that sort of game.

It's an actual Fallout game like Fallout 1 and 2 where all of the content is around the towns and NPCs that live in them and the map is there to space them out.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Today I learned that Prey isn't some mediocre B-List military shooter but more something like System Shock and Deus Ex. And that people who approach it like that seem to really like it a lot. And as it just happened, checking the game on PS4, it's currently on sale for just 12€.

Gimme, gimme, gimme...

The best thing is, that even with a five year old game, it's so obscure that I still have no clue what the setting is or what the story is about. All I've ever seen is a few minutes from the game start. This should be a fun experience.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #248

Flumph

Neither Prey game is a milshoots game really. The first one is more of a quake/doom style arena shooter with relatively out there SF weapons. It was okay for a pretty early Xbox 360 game. Had portals and weird gravity panel sections. Back in the earliest of days, Prey was announced just after the original Unreal came out as one of the first Unreal engine games) the whole idea for Prey was that it was going to be all portals all the time, where no two spaces in the game would actually be connected so it could trivially break the laws of physics and have things bigger on the inside than the outside and be set in various impossible spaces.

Arkane's one which is nothing to do with the original one is very clearly System Shock with the serial numbers filed off, and only had the title Prey slapped on when Bethesda realised they owned the IP and made Arkane use it. It is almost certain that the original title was going to be Psychoshock.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    where no two spaces in the game would actually be connected so it could trivially break the laws of physics and have things bigger on the inside than the outside and be set in various impossible spaces.
    There is at least one moment like that in the released game, where you find a glass sphere suspended in a room, then shortly later find yourself *inside* said ball, and watch as a giant (to you) alien comes in, looks at the ball, and then wanders off again. The original Prey was a far better game than is generally remembered and it's a shame it wasn't more of a success than it was.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, some 15 minutes into Prey, and wow!

Not knowing anything about this game really is perfect. I got my mind sufficiently blown.

Spoiler: Opening level
    Show
    Some of my first thoughts:
    - "Wait, did I actually turn on the elevator or is this still the same floor?"
    - This city landscape looks pretty ugly.
    - This helicopter landing pad looks just like the one I just took off from. Did they copy and paste it?
    - Why is there a big dark smudge around the access panel in the floor?
    - Why are these test so nonsensical? Is this is game going to be comedic?
    - "Oh, it's the same day all over." ..."or is it?"

I knew something weird was going on from previews that I've seen of the game six years ago. And I knew about that thing that was in the coffee cup, so that didn't surprise me. But when I broke that window, I absolutely had not seen that coming!
    Last edited by Yora; 2021-10-06 at 10:42 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Okay, some 15 minutes into Prey, and wow!

Not knowing anything about this game really is perfect. I got my mind sufficiently blown.

Spoiler: Opening level
    Show
    Some of my first thoughts:
    - "Wait, did I actually turn on the elevator or is this still the same floor?"
    - This city landscape looks pretty ugly.
    - This helicopter landing pad looks just like the one I just took off from. Did they copy and paste it?
    - Why is there a big dark smudge around the access panel in the floor?
    - Why are these test so nonsensical? Is this is game going to be comedic?
    - "Oh, it's the same day all over." ..."or is it?"

I knew something weird was going on from previews that I've seen of the game six years ago. And I knew about that thing that was in the coffee cup, so that didn't surprise me. But when I broke that window, I absolutely had not seen that coming!
    Yeah, the opening to the game is quite strong.

Spoiler: opening level stuff
    Show

I love how they include all sorts of possible clues that can help you see it coming. The scuff marks where walls move, for example. I know someone figured it out because they brought some item with them and dropped it before getting on the helicopter, only to get off and find it was still there. I also appreciate the fish tank in the hallway being another possible escape route.

Last edited by Frozenstep; 2021-10-06 at 02:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

So, I tried to look something that I wasn't sure I remembered correctly on youtube, and I think I now know what the big reveal moment of the whole story will be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because I started the game as female and the video of the first level I saw was playing as male.

Spoiler: Prey big shocking reveal prediction
    Show
    Female Morgan Yu gets female voice January. Male Morgan Yu gets male voice January.

Since there are several emails making it clear that the project was the idea of Alex and Morgan, and that they are studying something about implanting learned skills into brains, the big reveal is obvious.
    I'm not Morgan Yu. January is Morgan Yu. I'm either a clone, android, or nobody who was implanted a copy of Morgan Yu's brain, which was made when I Morgan that needle in the eye on the day before the simulation.

Since I heard the game has good replay value, I assume it doesn't hinge completely on that mystery, so I guess it's not that bad. I mean, this game is obviously a System Shock and Bioshock clone, and probably most people playing it would know those too. So when a mysterious voice calls you to give you guidance in a weird environment while stumble around in disorientation, you know what the deal is.
    (Unless the designers deliberately make it this obvious as a distraction from the real mystery.)

Also, I figured out the answer to the mystery in Soma before the question was even asked. (Opening with a Philip **** quote couldn't make it more obvious.) And that game didn't really rely on that plot twist for the story, and actually spelled it out quite early in the story to make the rest of the narrative work.

So I'm still looking forward to where things will go. But I find it weird that they even allow you to play as a male or female version of the same person in a kind of game where it shouldn't make any difference.

Actually, after looking again over messages in my menu, none of that can be true. This game is really good at screwing with my mind!
    Last edited by Yora; 2021-10-06 at 04:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just assuming it opens the door for something eventually.
    I would bet heavily against that. They've made it quite clear that this is the last new thing for Smash Ultimate, and with all of the legal trouble they doubtless had getting Sora I would not expect him to show up in any future Smash games. (And in general we have to assume that future games will have to pare down the roster, since they can't keep reusing old assets forever, and that's the only reason they were able to make Ultimate as huge as it is.) And certainly Nintendo has no interest in Disney characters outside of their connection to Sora, since one of the few hard rules they've ever given for who gets added to the game is that they have to be a video game character, not someone from another form of media.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

I would bet heavily against that. They've made it quite clear that this is the last new thing for Smash Ultimate, and with all of the legal trouble they doubtless had getting Sora I would not expect him to show up in any future Smash games. (And in general we have to assume that future games will have to pare down the roster, since they can't keep reusing old assets forever, and that's the only reason they were able to make Ultimate as huge as it is.) And certainly Nintendo has no interest in Disney characters outside of their connection to Sora, since one of the few hard rules they've ever given for who gets added to the game is that they have to be a video game character, not someone from another form of media.
    Either that, or they'll come up with nintendo-approved versions of fighters people loved that have similar or same mechanics. can't get Sonic? make a Kirby game with a special Wheelie to replace him for Smash. no Cloud? find or make a Fire Emblem character that can play the same. no Ryu or other complicated fighting game characters? I'm sure Knuckle Joe or something can fill the gap. these DLC characters could've just been experiments to see what mechanics they can put into Smash, how they work out, see what people like then next game they take all that, get rid of the characters people didn't really care for, take the DLC characters people really liked, then make characters that are basically updated versions of those without any of the legal issues. all the work has already been done, its just a matter of make it fit new skins.

15. - Top - End - #255

Either that, or they'll come up with nintendo-approved versions of fighters people loved that have similar or same mechanics. can't get Sonic? make a Kirby game with a special Wheelie to replace him for Smash. no Cloud? find or make a Fire Emblem character that can play the same. no Ryu or other complicated fighting game characters? I'm sure Knuckle Joe or something can fill the gap. these DLC characters could've just been experiments to see what mechanics they can put into Smash, how they work out, see what people like then next game they take all that, get rid of the characters people didn't really care for, take the DLC characters people really liked, then make characters that are basically updated versions of those without any of the legal issues. all the work has already been done, its just a matter of make it fit new skins.

So.....what you're telling me is...there's still a chance for Waluigi?
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

I sincerely doubt that they would do that. The whole point of those characters is who they are, not what they play like. Heck, for the same reason trying to throw their movesets onto other characters will also just disappoint fans of whoever those other characters are, since it means they didn't get a movesets tailored to them - we even have an existing example of that in Ganondorf, who even now has never been fully changed into his own character and still retains moves that are just slower, stronger versions of Captain Falcon's.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    So.....what you're telling me is...there's still a chance for Waluigi?
    Nope!

He's already in the game. as an assist trophy.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Nope!

Eh, with a new game that can always change. Little Mac was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, after all.

19. - Top - End - #259

Nope!

Sorry, I was making a joke. There's an ongoing meme with the SSBU about Waluigi being added as a playable character. Many nerds' dreams were crushed with the reveal of Sora.

Personally, though, I think it worked out because Disney was probably floundering with the Kingdom Hearts series. With KH3 being something of a flop for the veterans of the series, the convoluted and childlike plot turning away newcomers, and the fact that KH3 is the last of the main series for a long while, they're probably scrambling for ways to churn a profit off of the series.

With the expectation of KH2/KH3 graphics and gameplay, there's a lot of work that is put into those games, and anything less than that level will be met with criticism. Heck, even the SSBU Sora was made with unique mechanics and is an easy sell for every kind of player.

My knowledge of the pro scene and his capabilities are very limited, but I suspect his powerful and reliable air combos, on top of his ability to zone you out with his giant spells and great escapes, will make him excel in the pro scene.

And the fact that his ground combos add more launch when you choose not to combo with him (making combos a lot easier than other characters), on top of his huge attack arcs and safe recoveries, will make him good with noobies too.

I think the only reason Disney ever allowed Sora outside of the Micky Mouse Copyright Box of Doom was because they probably don't think he'll do well in the future. I certainly don't, and I say that as an avid KH fan.

That being said, hedging their bets by making Sora really versatile and strong in the world's best casual fighting game would be a great way to consistently draw appeal to the KH series, so who can say?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-10-06 at 06:06 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

@ MOG: I know its a meme, thats why I'm speaking out against it.

Eh, with a new game that can always change. Little Mac was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, after all.
    I hope they literally include anyone and everyone else. like even in Nintendo games, there tons of characters I can think of that would contribute more than him to a roster. say what you will about Piranha Plant, its a fighter that has a unique moveset and is probably guaranteed to come back. Waluigi, well what do you even do with him? if he does get in, he might just be a Luigi echo fighter thus ensuring that while he would be in.... there would be nothing that would particularly make him stand out. like I'd rather have in no particular order: a Wheelie, Vivian, a Goron, a Zora, a Deku scrub, Dimentio, Marx, A Shy Guy, another pokemon, Goombella, a Gerudo thats not Ganon, things like that.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Waluigi as the rep for all the sports games makes a lot of sense. That's his moveset niche.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    My knowledge of the pro scene and his capabilities are very limited, but I suspect his powerful and reliable air combos, on top of his ability to zone you out with his giant spells and great escapes, will make him excel in the pro scene.
    That's pretty questionable. Him being very floaty in the air is generally a bad thing for competitive play, since being able to quickly go from being in the air to on the ground is a big deal for overall movement in the game. Also, being a super lightweight is typically a serious disadvantage (though certain characters, like Pikachu and Pichu, can overcome it). I know some Smash Youtubers that I follow saw those facts about him highlighted in the presentation and immediately reacted with "oh no, he's low tier!"

Remains to be seen how that'll work out though, maybe his toolset is strong enough to overcome those problems.

I hope they literally include anyone and everyone else. like even in Nintendo games, there tons of characters I can think of that would contribute more than him to a roster. say what you will about Piranha Plant, its a fighter that has a unique moveset and is probably guaranteed to come back. Waluigi, well what do you even do with him? if he does get in, he might just be a Luigi echo fighter thus ensuring that while he would be in.... there would be nothing that would particularly make him stand out. like I'd rather have in no particular order: a Wheelie, Vivian, a Goron, a Zora, a Deku scrub, Dimentio, Marx, A Shy Guy, another pokemon, Goombella, a Gerudo thats not Ganon, things like that.
    *shrug* I don't want him either, but after the stink people made about him in Ultimate... well, like I said, I expected him to be the final DLC character, despite the fact that would mean breaking the old "assist trophies won't also be playable" rule they established back in Brawl. So I won't be surprised if he does show up in the next game, whenever that happens.

I will say though, Waluigi would at least be a better choice than Piranha Plant, or similarly generic creatures, simply because he is a unique character that some people out there like. He would actually please some fans and make people happy because of who he is, and not just those that will like anything if it's unexpected and weird. (Also, there's no way he'd be a Luigi echo, any more than Wario would ever have been a Mario echo. He's just not actually like Luigi in any real way.)

23. - Top - End - #263

That's pretty questionable. Him being very floaty in the air is generally a bad thing for competitive play, since being able to quickly go from being in the air to on the ground is a big deal for overall movement in the game. Also, being a super lightweight is typically a serious disadvantage (though certain characters, like Pikachu and Pichu, can overcome it). I know some Smash Youtubers that I follow saw those facts about him highlighted in the presentation and immediately reacted with "oh no, he's low tier!"

Remains to be seen how that'll work out though, maybe his toolset is strong enough to overcome those problems.
    I dunno, I see a lot of potential with Sonic Blade stepping out to the side and ganking them while they try to harass you as you fall. Plus, his Down Air looks really safe from incoming attacks with its huge radius, and his block-counter seems to stop enemies mid-attack (which might mean they'd lose their momentum enough to be unable to keep up the pressure even if the counter ends as a whiff).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-10-07 at 10:17 AM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

So I just started Mass Effect: Andromeda
    It's been good so far, pretty much what I would expect for ME.

One question though, I see there is a multiplayer part, and I'm not exactly opposed to it, but probably not going to be playing enough to get good at MP, and the game is old enough I'm not sure how active it will be, especially for new characters. I know they have strike teams, I'm just wondering how much I need to do to get the "good endings" or whatever they might have gated behind MP.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    So I just started Mass Effect: Andromeda
    It's been good so far, pretty much what I would expect for ME.

One question though, I see there is a multiplayer part, and I'm not exactly opposed to it, but probably not going to be playing enough to get good at MP, and the game is old enough I'm not sure how active it will be, especially for new characters. I know they have strike teams, I'm just wondering how much I need to do to get the "good endings" or whatever they might have gated behind MP.
    Multiplayer affecting single-player was only a thing for Mass Effect 3, and even then that was removed for the Legendary edition.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Just got back into Wargame Red Dragon. After the South Africa DLC, I decided to get renewed interest into the game after Eugen got renewed interest into it after years. I'm hoping the DLC sells well enough that it convinces them to make a Wargame 4.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

The Wargame series is kind of a mess. It can be a glorious mess at times, but there's so many little traps in the way the game is designed, not to mention balance issues with the various decks, that I have a hard time recommending it.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

It does seem better now after the balance update. I've been enjoying getting back into it again.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

29. - Top - End - #269

Still playing ff14. Took a break from Heavensward and killing my gil levels with crafting to finish the Hildrebrand quests and.

there are no actual words for the 5th act. All I will say is that is one loyal chicken.
    It makes the fact that in the main quest I have an evil draconic version of the Great Gazoo seem normal
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2021-10-07 at 01:07 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Still playing ff14. Took a break from Heavensward and killing my gil levels with crafting to finish the Hildrebrand quests and.

there are no actual words for the 5th act. All I will say is that is one loyal chicken.
    It makes the fact that in the main quest I have an evil draconic version of the Great Gazoo seem normal
    Don't worry, the Hildebrand quests get even weirder in Stormblood. And the Shadowbringers MSQ is really really good. Can't wait for Edgewalker coming out in a month, although I'm kinda bored and just doing one daily Alliance Raid[1] because all my classes are at 80 and I really don't have the energy to grind out more relics right now.

[1] for some reason, that's my preferred roulette. Shorter than MSQ, more brainless than any of the others.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.