New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Gods Observational Powers and TDO - How much does he know?

I was thinking the other day about how Redcloak turned down accepting Durkon's deal, and was wondering if it could be possible TDO had seen their discussion. I know it's clearly posibel for Gods to watch the mortal plane - Hel and her scrying pool in her realm, for example. However, that is a God that has her own well-designed lair, while TDO (as far as we can tell) just has a goblin ghost army, so might not have the equipment needed to scry?

I guess the main thing I was thnking about was if TDO saw this and watched Redcloak give up his win, is it possible next trance, Redcloak won't get his spells gifted from TDO? Also, this would also give TDO information on how existing as a god works, knowing now about colours and souls and likely not surviving the world being remade.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gods Observational Powers and TDO - How much does he know?

Given how sparse the info is on TDO, and the unreliability of crayon drawings, you offer an interesting piece of "it might work like this" but it's hard to take it much further than that. I find myself in agreement with your idea that TDO will now and again check in on progress among his believers, but how often and for what particular reason is unclear.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It is certainly possible that the Dark One was watching, but I'm not sure why he'd withdraw his support from Redcloak, who simply made the decision to stick to the Dark One's original plan. In the absence of any instructions to the contrary, the Dark One would probably approve of Redcloak's decision to not deviate from his orders, especially since he would agree with Redcloak that the other side can't be expected to negotiate in good faith. And at the end of the day, if the Dark One was watching and he disagrees with Redcloak he can just contact Thor himself.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2022-07-14 at 01:27 PM.
    ungelic is us

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

It's also worth noting that The Dark One likely agrees, at least in broad strokes, with Greg's assessment of Thor - namely, he's an untrustworthy liar and his direct messengers can't be trusted either. Like, Redcloak is not wrong when he states that he has no particular reason to believe Durkon or Minrah when all of their claims conveniently involve him giving up his longtime plan. The Dark One has no reason to trust them, either. It's not like Durkon has a magical truth hat he wears that lets The Dark One know he can't tell a lie, nor would it matter even if he did; Durkon might believe what he's saying, but he might have been given bad information in the first place.

Obviously there's a point beyond which we're speculating on motives we can't possibly know, but thus far the only person who doesn't have firsthand experience with the Godsmoot and believes the particularly outlandish claims of Roy, Belkar, and Durkon is Serini. And that's only because Belkar pointed out that her own basic philosophy makes more sense if she does.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Howard Johnson Dame_Mechanus is right
    I get to be a favorite today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is not shown if TDO knows that the other gods plan to destroy the world, or if he is unlikely to survive if that happens. It is possible that TDO wants to continue with the plan because he feels he has nothing to lose, which is what Redcloak believes as well.
    But I have to wonder if Redcloak deviates from the plan, will TDO still grant him spells.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    But I have to wonder if Redcloak deviates from the plan, will TDO still grant him spells.
    Of course he will. Redcloak may be a difficult minion, but he's the most powerful minion TDO has. I am going to use a RL analogy that I think applies:
    The Green Bay Packers have a difficult to deal with "minion" named Aaron Rogers. While he's difficult to deal with, he's the most powerful "minion" they have. They would be worse off without him, so they keep him around.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-07-15 at 03:07 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society