New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Convergence Manifesto - IC

Toryc moveed up to the furnace, hefting her axe and glancing at Bonvica after she'd taken the brunt of the explosion. A hand dropped onto the Elf's shoulder and energy flickered once again to flow through and restore the worst of the burns received.

"Let's see what's foolish enough to face us next." A pleased rumble.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Lay on Hands to heal 5 HP for Bonvica.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Round 3

Stoke had filled the crucible, and the binding runes were glowing. "Ready!" the warforged shouted.

Fernia wouldn't stop bothering the party however. Just as they'd finished the first mephit, another plopped out of furnace, as if sensing its resting was about to be disturbed.

Show
    This round, Jimmy must succeed at a DC 12 Wisdom (Perception) check to pour the metal at the right moment.

The save DC for resisting the is now 7

If you had an action readied, remember to perform it first as well.

Prit, Jimmy, Arkthos and Bonvica can go in whichever order. Then the mephit and then Toyrc.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Arkthos does not hesitate, wanting to end this and be out of here as soon as possible. The instant the fiery enemy takes form the small dwarf launches his axe at it and then charges with a roar. He throws a heavy fist at it as he tries to grapple it.

(1d20+5)[7](1d6+3)[7] Slashing
    (1d20+5)[21](1d6+3)[8] bludgeoning
    If hit (1d20+5)[12] athletics for grapple.
    (1d20+4)[21]con save

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Jimmy rushes over to the forge and prepares to pour out the metal, eyes waiting for the right moment

"Don't Screw This up, Magic Hands" He mutters.
    (spend Inspiration point
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Perception:
    (1d20+3)[23]

(1d20+3)[22]

Con Save:

(1d20+2)[11]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jimmy indeed proved he was worthy of his name. He seemed to have picked just the perfect moment, and as soon as the molten metal touched the runes, it moved to take their shape and then to sink into the forge. The runes blazed brightly, and Stoke gave Jimmy an approving nod.

"Good! Now take care of that creature, then I can stabilize the planar energies!" Tresca shouted over the sounds of battle. She was holding the rod in the air, eyes fixed on the runes at her feet.

The mephite that had climbed out of the furnace got heavy punch as a greeting from Arkthos. It didn't go down, these things were somewhat sturdy, but it didn't seem happy either.

Bonvica and Prit are next.
    Last edited by Majin; 2021-09-15 at 09:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

When another mephit leapt from the furnace Prit immediately fired a shot at the planar being. "We'll have this thing handled in two shakes, just you wait!" The goblin called out, before firing off another for good measure!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage If Hit: (1d8+3)[6]

Attack 2: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage If Hit: (1d8+3)[4]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Bonvica thanks Toryc for the healing magic. "Ah, much better."

She then has the tough choice of wailing on another explosive mephit, or withdrawing. But with Toryc there, she feels better about things. There must be some third option. Bonvica rolls her shoulders, sizes up this new opponent, and calls on the winds to help.

Spoiler: OOC - ready action woooo
    Show
    Readying an action to cast Gust on the mephit if it dies, so as to push it away from the rest of us. Whether it's a creature or object at that point, hopefully the spell will knock it back into the forge. (DC11 Str save if it gets one.) Hopefully not a waste of a turn.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Prit's bolt hit the mephit on what was more or less its shoulder. It hissed at the goblin before focusing it attention back on the dwarf who'd tried to grab it. Its eyes seemed to burn with hatred as the elemental tried to rake Arkthos with its burning claws.

Show
    Attack: (d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[3] + (d4)[2] fire damage.

Toryc is next.
    Last edited by Majin; 2021-09-15 at 03:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hefting her battleaxe, Toryc snarled at the Mephit and took a swing, uncaring of the heat and the risk incurred of destroying the creature.

Show

To hit: (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage (If successful) (1d8+3)[5]
    Con save (1d20+2)[13]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Round 4

The mephit staggers from the vicious blow, but doesn't quite fall apart just yet. At least it seems that at least no more creatures emerged from the fires of the forge this time around.

Show
    The con save DC this round is 8

Prit, Jimmy, Arkthos and Bonvica can go in whichever order. Then the mephit and then Toyrc.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Ignoring its blow Arkthos continues attacking, swinging another steel clad meaty fist at the mephit.
    (1d20+5)[20](1d6+3)[9]
    Con save
    (1d20+4)[8]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The mephit's slash couldn't compete with Arkthos' heavy fist. The mighty blow almost seemed to take part of the creature's head off. Immediately it started bubbling, but before it could explode, Bonvica's wind spell pushed its remains into the furnace. There it exploded harmlessly, without further singing the adventurers.

Immediately Tresca slammed the rod into the focus of the circle. "Oeri!" she shouted, and every single rune on the circle was well as the forge glowed brightly. Ethereal tendrils erupted at the forge, wrapping around it. Though they seemed to fade quickly, it seems the heat was now more contained. The air was merely uncomfortably warm instead of unbearably hot.

Though Tresca had had her globe of snow keeping her cool, even she had to wipe off her forehead. "Whew! Great work, everyone! The forge is stable, and I think we can finish your client's order now. It'll still take us a couple of hours, but I don't think there will be any more obstacles. She retrieved a mold, while Stoke was cleaning himself. He was even more sooty than before.

"You can rest in my office, I think you've deserved a break. There should be some snacks and cool drinks in the cabinet." She showed them to a messy room with scattered books and tools, but also comfortable chairs and carpets. And indeed, there were snacks as well.

Combat is over! You gain the benefits of a short rest. If you gained any exhaustion during the battle, you can remove 1 level of it.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Jimmy is quite happy to have finished the job, and sinks gratefully into a chair, wiping sweat off his brow and taking a swig from his seemingly never empty hip flask, which has absolutely got to be baking hot from being in the forge

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-09-16 at 08:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Arkthos found pig along the way to the room, although he paid her little mind as he was busily rushing to remove his armour.
    ”I do hope one of those cold drinks your talking about is an ale!” He muttered to Tresca, his focus still on removing the boiling metal from his body. ”Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d even go a cold water right now.
    Ugh, that heat must’ve really cooked me. No wonder no one else works down here.”

His chains continued to jangle as even in the office he continued to wrestle with straps and buckles, caught in the sticky leathers beneath.
    In the end it was pig who helped him free himself of his armour, clearly a feat the hog was familiar with. Arkthos managed to hook it over her tusks and then very un-elegantly crawl out backwards while his pet just sat and stared at him snorting judgingly.

With hair slick to his face he stared back at Pig as he breathed in deep breaths of cool refreshing air. ”Wot you looking at?” he scowled at the animal. With his torso now naked all could see that the dwarf lived up to his clan name. ‘Heavy belly.’ He was surprisingly more rotund than originally thought, his tight armour clearly reshaping his form. One large continuous tattoo lined his body and ran down his chest and across his arms. The lines only broken by the myriad of scars that littered his flesh. Old battle wounds.

”Keep looking at me like that and you’ll end up in ‘ere.” Arkthos warned the hog as he jovially patted his belly with both hands. Pig just snorted at him in reply as if understanding and then went to pester any who stood near the snacks.

Arkthos laughed and then found space to sit down.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Toryc wastes little time in stripping out of most of her armour and taking a few breaths in the much cooler office. If there's any water to hand she liberally pours it over her head, uncaring of the result. "If you do decide to eat the pig, it's expected that you share." She offered Arkthos, sounding serious about the statement.

"It's a good result. We enjoyed some fighting, taught valuable lessons and completed our task. We also have a debt owed that might be of value."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Yep, I'd classify today as one big ol' success. And I gotta say, It's been nice gettin to know you young whippersnappers. Ya' seem like good folks.

Jimmy says with a burp as he scratches his greasy scalp.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There indeed is both ale and water to drink, as well as dried fruit to snack on. Tresca had installed a smaller version of her icy globe in the cabinet to keep the drinks cool. Probably mostly for her, and perhaps some clients, as it looked like most of the workers couldn't really appreciate a drink.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Bonvica is very appreciative of the refreshments. First things first, though: she lovingly wipes the soot residue off her scimitar and re-sheathes it. Perfect. Now for some iced tea - oh, and yeah, she is a bit burned herself. She shrugs in resignation, as if to say, Ah well, I can deal with that later. She snags an extra ice-ball from Tresca’s box and applies it to her arm.

She nods in agreement about the job well-done but asks Tresca, “Get a lot of mephits down here? That was a nasty pair. I greatly prefer air elementals.”
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-09-16 at 07:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Oh, sometimes. That's the price you pay for working with Fernia's energy. Lets you craft nifty thingamajigs like your project here though!" Tresca was scribbling in her notebook, while Stoke still kept working with the forge. "Thankfully they just stay in the fire, though it means we can't really use it then. Usually we just hire some people to get rid of them though. Kinda like dealing with explosive vermin!"

"Ohh, air elementals are fun! That does usually mean working with airships and the like, and I do not have head for heights." Tresca chuckled to herself, shaking her head.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    "Ohh, air elementals are fun! That does usually mean working with airships and the like, and I do not have head for heights." Tresca chuckled to herself, shaking her head.
    Bonvica fakes surprise, saying, “You mean you haven’t jumped off a building yet today? All of us did this morning - I thought it was just the custom here.”
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-09-16 at 07:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tresca seemed to shudder at the notion. "Oh, oh no... I don't even get out of bed without at least three feather tokens on me. Don't get me wrong, I know they work, but I don't personally intend to test how well!" She shook her head. "Jumping off buildings... Well, seems like you lot fit in Sharn better than me. Some test of courage type of thing I guess? Or were you... Chasing a villain across rooftops?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Arkthos’s eyes dart to Toryc and rest suspiciously upon her. A stern expression on his face, one of uncertainty, disbelief and defensiveness all strewn together across his features along with a little of something else. He shakes his head and stops staring and joins his hog, patting the beast as he takes some dried fruit and shares it equally between them. He groans when reminded of their earlier express trip to the ground level. The thought slightly nauseating him still.

A loud satisfied sigh escapes his lips as the half-naked sweaty dwarf finally sets down his near empty mug of ale, he had not stopped nor breathed since picking it up.

”Not bad.” he says loudly to Tresca with a nod and a gesture of his cup.
    ”Ain’t the best but after dat heat, goes down really well.” he looks around the room frowning at some of the mess. ”Seems like a good place to work, been here long? Who normally deals with your fiery rodent friends?” he asks, admiring a random contraption he found.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"The temperature really is the most important part about drinks when you work down here! Oh, it's a fine enough place. I like the work and my coworkers, and even Drummond isn't so bad on most days. I've worked here for... Oh, I think about five years. Ever since I came to Sharn."

"Plenty of people here for that kind of extermination work, we may even have hired some people from Clifftop at some point. Sometimes someone will even come clean them up for free, I guess mephit's can be used for some sort of experiments too. They're not really good for powering up anything, much too volatile in my opinion." Tresca glanced at the contraption Arkthos was holding. "Neat, right? Just don't bring it too close to your beard."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"It's a combination of a test of courage and show for the crowds," Prit said after swallowing a bite of fruit, "Plus a competition between our glorious Clifftop and their cowardly Deathsgate. Of course, it was Clifftop who won the day this time, thanks to me and Magic over here!" He raised his hand in a way he had some humans do in the past as a show of comradery.

"That reminds me..." Prit continued after a moment, digging into his many pockets to retrieve the ticket he'd obtained during their dramatic descent, "Think we can stop at a banking house before we head back to the Guild? I want to get this cashed in before it burns a hole in my pocket. Got too many of those already!"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

"It was extremely foolish and reckless." Toryc commented, before baring teeth in a grin. "Though also a fun challenge. Albeit one that made me an apparent enemy. Still, she isn't the first."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotoriousSMP View Post
    "It's a combination of a test of courage and show for the crowds," Prit said after swallowing a bite of fruit, "Plus a competition between our glorious Clifftop and their cowardly Deathsgate. Of course, it was Clifftop who won the day this time, thanks to me and Magic over here!" He raised his hand in a way he had some humans do in the past as a show of comradery.
    "Truth to be told, I haven't really gotten into the guilds like a lot of people here... But I think I might become a Clifftop fan today!" Tresca said with a bright smile, even if her eyes were still focused on the book. "Congratulations on your victory in any case! And you know, not getting flattened on the ground."

Quote Originally Posted by Donan View Post
    "It was extremely foolish and reckless." Toryc commented, before baring teeth in a grin. "Though also a fun challenge. Albeit one that made me an apparent enemy. Still, she isn't the first."
    "Oh, now that I can agree with! About the foolish and reckless at least... Getting good at falling is not really one of those skills I want to get good at..." Even with the heat, she still managed to look a little pale. "
    Last edited by Majin; 2021-09-18 at 01:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The break went smoothly, and the party didn't have to defeat snack elementals to enjoy themselves. Tresca and Stoke focused on their work, the gnome working her magic while the warforged worked with the metals.

"Now for the finale! Brace yourselves!" Tresca retrieved a blue crystal sliver from her belt pouch, set into a crucible and gently slid it into the stabilized fire with a pair of tongs. It rest atop a glowing stone mold. A moment later a wave of heat washed over you. It's infused with malevolent intent and insatiable hunger to burn.

With one practiced motion, Tresca pulled out the mold with her tongs, and Stoke smashed it with an oversized iron maul. All that remained was a shimmering, metallic statue, cast in brass-colored orichalcum. The figure sits in meditation, the blue crystal set atop its crown.

"It's gonna be be warm, but you won't get burned." Tresca handed the idol over to you, exchanging it for the bank slip you got from the guild handler Lhara. "Oh, and absolutely do not remove the stopper. It's kinda containing the endless fires of Fernia. It's sturdy, so don't worry about breaking, but don't drop or shake it too much. Might release some fire too. So if you really must go jumping from more ledges, just set this thing down first."

"And one more thing. There was some excess energy from Fernia, so I quickly competed a little sideproject. Consider it my thanks for helping us..." Tresca handed you a Potion of Firebreathing. "Umm, well you can't really share it, but I only had ingredients for one..."

Spoiler: The Burning Idol
    Show

Show
    Decide which one carries the idol, and who gets the potion.

You all gain the benefits of a short rest.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Arkthos caresses his beard protectively, shaking his head as he eyes the potion and idle. He wouldn’t be taking it.
    His eyes were still heavy from the short broken nap he had just had. Pig who fell asleep beside him once all the snacks were definitely gone, interrupted the dwarfs rest by rolling and squirming about next to him whenever his snoring grew too loud.
    With a stretch he started the painful process of donning his armour again. It was a bit easier now that things were cooler but needed a definite wash and clean.

”Right, back to the guild then.” Arkthos says, leading the way. Still doing his straps up as he walks.
    He farewells his new friends on the way out offering thanks and firm handshakes as he passes.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I can hold on to the Idle, if y'alld like. These Magic Hands rarely let anything slip.

Jimmy says as he rises from his chair and cricks his back with an almnost machine gun like series of cracks as his back bends so far that his head touches the floor before he comes back up.

But our dwarf friend is right, back to our home away from home for now."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Some of the warforged had already departed by the time the work was finished. Drummond hadn't decided to show up, perhaps already gone home himself, or just locked up in his office stew on his defeat. "Thank you again for your help, friends. I won't forget this. And..." Stoke looked at Toryc. "I will think on your words. Perhaps I should act more like a leader, even if I'm not sure I deserve the role."

--

The party started making their way back to the guild, with the Idol. They didn't make their way too far, before they ran into a large ettin blocking their way. The eyes in both heads squinted suspiciously as they focused on the party. The ettin was large, built like a lightning rail car and covered in scars. Notably, she was missing her left hands, but the remaining one wielded a large club without too much effort. She let the heavy weapon fall on the ground with a resounding "thud!"

"We are Yadha-Ro." The ettin said, the left head, finishing the sentence. "You work for Drummond? The worm owes Daask", The right head said. "Paid in blood or paid in money", the left grunted.

You've all heard of Daask, at least in passing. It's a large criminal organization, many of its monstrous members coming from the land of Droaam, likely working for their rulers as well. They were not nice people to owe money to, but it seemed Drummond may not be the wisest decision maker.