New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Convergence Manifesto - IC

"make sure he knows we won't be so nice next time, too. If in we gotta teach a lesson twice, we tend to get a bit rougher, ya read me?"

Jimmy says with a good natured chuckle and another swig of the booze.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Hmm, you lot new in Sharn? Daask is not person. Daask is many people. Guild. Cogs belong to Daask." Yadha said. "Clifftop is strong. We're stronger", Ro said, nodding.

"If Clifftop want to fight more, you can find us here."
    Last edited by Majin; 2021-09-26 at 12:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Toryc was silent a moment as she considered Bonvica and her statement, ears twitching before she gestured, speaking up again. "And conflict costs both Clifftop and Daask energy. What is better, to lose a little money from Drummond, or a lot of energy in conflict with Clifftop? Your claims elsewhere aren't contested, but we claim Drummond as ours.

Perhaps deeper agreements can be found, but it is beyond our group to decide this, and likely beyond you to decide for Daask."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The ettin shrugged one shoulder. "Sounds smart. Will tell boss Callestan." Yadha said. "Drummond is small fry. Won't care about him. Boss likes easy business too." "Fighting with Clifftop is not easy." Yadha-Ro seemed to pretty much agree with you.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yadha-Ro proved surprisingly cordial after the battle, but as both heads agreed, blood was paid. The Daask thugs gathered their fallen comrade, and trailing blood, left the forge. Though the ettin seemed somewhat more clever than on average, she didn't seem like she'd try to deceive anyone. Yet it wasn't likely she was very high on the leadership either, but at least it seemed like the danger to the forge, and more importantly to Tresca and to Stoke and his crew, was averted.

The bank was still open, and Prit could cash his lottery ticket without any questions. And finally, they made it to the guild house, completing the simple delivery job they'd been given. The Clifftop Adventurers' Guild's building was large and well-maintained, with people coming and going, even though the sun was starting to set. Though that wasn't odd, adventurers weren't known to keep regular hours.

You quickly found Lhara, the shifter who'd given you this job, inside. She was leaning back on a chair, chewing on a toothpick and reading something. When she saw you come in, she flicked the toothpick away and rose to greet you. "Finally! I was afraid you'd been stabbed in a dark alleyway, or decided to run off with the package. Either way, I'd have had to hunt someone down!" Lhara laughed, then quieted as she took a second look at the party, especially Jimmy and Arkthos. "...did someone try to mug you?"
    Last edited by Majin; 2021-09-28 at 01:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"Not successfully!" Jimmy says with a snort, once again drinking from the foul smelling flask that has got to be empty by now.

"Here's your statue by the way, kept it nice and safe." he says as he pulls the statue from where he had stashed it in his belt and hands it to her

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He has a massive puch sewn into the belt of his oants, it's over half a foot long

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Toryc's mouth stretched in a toothy, fanged grin.

"Are you missing the chance to savour a hunt?" She queried Lhara curiously before nodding Jimmy's way. "The one with magic hands is right. They tried and failed. And have been warned away from troubling Drummond, for now."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    "Not successfully!" Jimmy says with a snort, once again drinking from the foul smelling flask that has got to be empty by now.

"Here's your statue by the way, kept it nice and safe." he says as he pulls the statue from where he had stashed it in his belt and hands it to her

Show
    He has a massive puch sewn into the belt of his oants, it's over half a foot long
    "I can see that. Good work then", Lhara said as she took the statue, briefly examining it and seeming satisfied. "Didn't honestly expect anyone to try though. Cogs are wild, but I figure most would be muggers would have more sense than to try robbing people like you. Seemed like it was prudent to send a group after all, eh?"

Quote Originally Posted by Donan View Post
    Toryc's mouth stretched in a toothy, fanged grin.

"Are you missing the chance to savour a hunt?" She queried Lhara curiously before nodding Jimmy's way. "The one with magic hands is right. They tried and failed. And have been warned away from troubling Drummond, for now."
    "Ha!" Lhara barked a laugh, and gave her own fierce grin back. Her teeth weren't quite as intimidating as the gnoll's but the smile did still come off as lightly inhuman. "The curse of advancing your career, you don't get to do as much hands on work. Though don't think I'm just a lazy old dog either."

"And like I said, good work. If you managed to teach your attackers a lesson, all the better. Now, I think it's time to introduce you to the client, and to deliver this idol to him. Follow me." Lhara beckoned you to follow her, and led you deeper into the guild building, through a maze of stone corridors. The walkways were flanked by statues of previous guild heroes, like Shekkal Korranor, the guild's founder, and the likes of Kallon ir'Harwent, Rayla of Farcove, Mira Dread and many more. "Bet you're imagining your likeness here, too, huh?" Lhara asked with a laugh.

Before long you were led to a well-appointed sitting room decorated with oak. In there you spot a middle-aged human man sitting in one of the comfy-looking chairs, scribbling furiously into a notebook. He was dressed in fine robes, his silver hair and beard well-groomed. He was so focused on his work that he didn't even seem to notice when you'd stopped next to him, Lhara needing to cough before he raised his eyes from whatever he was writing. "This is provost Nigel Faurious, our client. Provost, these are the hopefuls I mentioned." Lhara quickly introduces each of you. "They fetched your idol, going through some trouble I might add."

"Mmh, excellent!" Faurious said, eagerly grabbing the idol from Lhara, and examining it. "One down..."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Prit would have been lying if he'd denied Lhara's question, he certainly had been imagining himself as a figure of importance to the Guild's history. Certainly he wasn't opposed to fame, but perhaps more importantly if he ever did find his image here it would likely mean that he had proved his craft once and for all!

In the next room the goblin nods to the human who had, apparently, hired them. "Greetings," he told the provost, "Yes, some trouble, but not enough to keep us from the sweet taste of success!" He tilts his head at the man's last few words, wondering if the statue was part of a set if this was his reaction, though he didn't think it important enough to call attention to.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Words." Toryc told Lhara wryly, her ears twitching. "I challenge you to prove it to me when you can, so we can both enjoy ourselves." Leaving it at that for now she followed the Shifter as she and the others were led through the building. She canted her head as they passed the statues, musing the thought but keeping her words to herself.

She regarded the Provost intently, studying him. "As Pritt said, it was well within our ability. And the experience was savoured."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Bonvica takes the stroll down the statue corridor at an unhurried pace, looking at the iconic faces and armaments. "A statue here sounds about right. But one in front of the Council Hall would be nice, too. And one in Xen'drik, maybe Aerenal? One day, perhaps." She is either really good at deadpan delivery or seems to seriously think these are possibilities.

On meeting the Provost, Bonvica's reaction is one of interest. "What do you mean, 'one down'? Is this the first of a set? If this is a no-questions-asked sort of job, my apologies, but I'm curious what you're working on, it must be fascinating. And our friend here - " (she nods towards Arkthos) " - almost died in getting it. Did Daask know about this?"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lhara barked a laugh at Toryc's comment. "Ha! You are certainly spirited. You should learn some respect for your guild seniors though!" She didn't seem too serious about it though, just chuckling to herself as they walked.

"Ah, yes, good good..." Faurious said, though it didn't seem like he paid too much attention to the party's troubles, more focused on the idol. He'd taken out a wand, and was running it down the small statue, and it glowed faintly. "Well, the craftmanship is excellent, and you will be compensated for your trouble."

A soft smile spread on the provost lips as Bonvica asked her question. "Oh, as an academic I encourage questions." Faurious put his hand on his notebook as looked down on it. "I'm working on a grand thesis, and one part concerns Fernia. This idol will be most useful in finalizing that part of my research... I'm thinking of calling it 'The Convergence Manifesto'."

The provost had already moved the notebook away when you approached, and now he carefully closed it, murmuring a word. Something like a rune flashed on it. He tried to hide it, but you could see he didn't want any of you to see the contents. "...my work is still incomplete however. When it's finished you may of course acquire a copy and read it, I encourage it in fact. But academical world is rife with plagiarism and... undue criticism, so I find it best to keep the details to myself."

"And Daask? Those criminals? I don't have any reason to think they'd be involved in this. I don't associate with such characters."

Faurious had a very neat appearance, his clothes were well-tailored and he was immaculately groomed. He mostly spoke in a calm, thoughtful manner, but this project clearly was a matter of passion for him. And he seemed to have a somewhat bitter tone when he mentioned "criticism".

If you wanted to see what was written on the notebook, you can make a Wisdom (Perception) check.
    Last edited by Majin; 2021-10-03 at 07:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Bonvica at least managed to catch a little glimpse as Faurious closed his notebook.

Spoiler: Perception 18+
    Show

The Provost wasn't scribing at the moment. Mostly it seemed like he was putting his thoughts on the paper, or at least in the parts you saw. No magical diagrams.

For too long, my theories have been dismissed…
    There are no barriers. No limits!
    I will prove my thesis, once and for all…

The Hungry Giant tavern supposedly has the best meat pies in Sharn. Investigate...
    The Sea of Fire can be channeled for the betterment of all nations…

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Arkthos was experiencing a terrible headache, his skull throbbing intensely beneath the dented helm upon his head. Since the battle he had experienced sporadic bouts of dizziness and leaned heavily on Pig during the trip back to the guild. He offered little in conversation except for a half hearted wry smile, a few gruff grunts and the occasional nod. It wasn’t a surprise when he excused himself early.

While the reward for the job was nice, it wasn’t enough to pay for the armour he ordered, even with the generous discount. So Arkthos got to doing what he knew best. Hitting things and getting hit in return.
    He would take punishment for others pleasure. Selling pain for a profit, either his or another’s. One way or another.
    Between the beatings he checked in on his new friends at the forge and made sure all was still well there and that the armour was coming along nicely. Pig had grown fond of the gnome artificer and enjoyed the visits.

Downtime pit fighting.
    Playing with Pig
    Checking in on Pigs armour and talking to the crew at the forge.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"There you have it", Lhara said. "And the good provost's work is already benefiting you! Let's leave master Faurious with his prize for a moment, we have payment to discuss."

Lhara beckoned you to move a bit farther away, leaving Faurious to admire the Burning Idol. "Now this was supposed to be a simple delivery job, but sounds like you even managed to get Daask involved! If you don't know much about them, I'd advise caution if you decide to get involved. Not sayin' to play nice either, they aren't very nice, but they're also powerful. Law in Sharn is... flexible. Not that they're as influential as Boromar, but they've got enough to keep the watch at bay, and operate in many places where the watchmen don't care to watch in the first place. Just an advice from your handler."

"Now, since you did work extra hard for this, guess the reward's gotta match the labor." The put a leather satchel on the table, and pulled several pieces of paper from it. She wrote something on each of them, and handed you the slips. They were all marked with the same Kundarak symbol as Prit's lottery ticket earlier, and seemed to indicate each were worth a hundred golden galifars. "More or less a standard guild fee for potentially dangerous work, 'least for someone of your renown. Hopefully this will encourage you to accept more missions, eh?"

"And besides the reward and the renown, since you're all now Clifftop members, you get a nice little discount if you go shop at the Dragon's Hoard armory, here in Clifftop district."

Spoiler: Boromar
    Show
    Boromar is pretty much another influential criminal organization in Sharn, pretty much a halfling mafia. They are an old power, and are opposed by Daask, who have come to the city much more recently."

Show
    You get a 5% discount from Dragon's Hoard on all equipment (not magic items).

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Toryc nodded at Lhara as the payment and advice were provided, tucking her own note away. "They are moving in Drummond's area. This attack was about him, not this item." A pause. "Or so the Ettin they sent believed. Hgn, perhaps they're trying to lay false trails to hide their tracks

We will watch for them then, they know of us now."
    Another nod at mention of the armoury. "I will visit if needed for my equipment, and yes, watch for more jobs. I dislike being idle."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lhara shrugged. "No idea. Though as far as I understood, Faurious isn't planning to do anymore business with the forge. I do know Daask has pretty much established Cogs as their territory, so them gathering 'protection' money from a business like this isn't surprising." The shifter shrugged. "Feel free to do as you will. Though I have to warn you, if you get too mixed up, I can't promise the guild will pull your rears out of the fire."

"Well, if you want my suggestion now, try to be available in a week or so. Otherwise, you're free to go. If you go the tavern, I reckon there are some that might be eager buy you some drinks for besting Deathsgate earlier. I have some other business to attend to right now though." Lhara started to leave, but then turned to look at Toryc. "Oh, Toryc, if you still wanted to hunt, be here at the guild hall by noon." Then Lhara strode away with a wave of her hand.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Episode 2 - Live Another Day

A week later after your initiation and first short adventure, you all got called to gather at Drunken Dragon, a bar near the guild. You have a table reserved (though the midday crowd doesn't exactly fill the place), with food and (reasonable amount of) drink paid, with cups of Lhazaar brought to you as soon as you sit on the table. The place seems decent, with everbright lanterns keeping the room nicely lit. A table next you had a couple days old newspaper open.

The guild handler, white-haired shifter named Lhara had invited you there, though it wasn't a social call. Letters you received told you to prepare for several days of travel if you decided to accept, and for cold weather. And to not get too drunk before she arrived. Lhara seemed to be running late though, which gave you each a chance to catch up, as well as eat and drink, all paid by the guild.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Toryc padded into view before too long, dressed in her usual hunting/fighting attire but with a fur lined cloak bundled under her arm and a bear fang hanging around her neck on a leather band. The newspaper got a glance and a claw speared it to bring it to the table with her where she spread it open so anyone else could see the various headlines.

She took a good swig of her drink, risking ignoring the note to not get too drink and leaned back in her chair, observing the room and taking stock as she waited.
    Last edited by Donan; 2021-11-17 at 02:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"hehhehe!" Jimmy laughed as he wobbled into the seat and took a swig of his, now much larger, hip flask.

"We're on the front page! Menaces! Ha! And Little old me wasn't even trying. Looks like I haven't lost it in my old age."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Bonvica nurses her tea, not in any rush. She's got a pack with her for the travel, and has stocked up on some rations. Her eyes look a little bleary, like maybe she was out at a bar the previous evening as well, but she seems content.

She chuckles at the newspaper, saying, "Look, Arkthos - they got your good side." She leans back and sits cross-legged in her chair.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Prit snickers at the so-called 'air purifier', making a mental note to look into approaching the Cannith at some point. If that was the sort that they were churning out, he had a feeling that there might be an opening within soon enough...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Twice." Toryc noted with a gesture at the front page and the air of satisfaction. "The Warforged too. We seem to be making a name, even if it comes with us being cursed at." This clearly amused her too. "How did you all spend your days?" She glanced at the slightly hungover looking Bonvica with a chuckle.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Jimmy takes a swig from the remarkably larger flask he now carries, and grins.

"Spent me down time gettin' some more of my Swamp Juice brewed. Didn't think anyone up here was cultured enough to handle the delicate process, but I found a dwarf almost as crazy as me who handled it!" Jimmys says with a laugh and a slap to his bowlegged knee "I got a couple barrels of the stuff in my apartment now, whole rooms filled up with 'em. Should last me a good while."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Your chatter was interrupted, as Lhara loudly entered the tavern. "Greetings, hatchlings! Toryc!" the shifter said, winking at Toryc with her one eye. She sauntered over to your table, and started to uncork the tube. "I hope you've all been doing well, but before you add more to the guild's tab, I have work talk." Lhara spread a map of Khorvaire on the table. "As you might have guessed, I have another assignment for you, and this one comes from provost Faurious as well! Less fire involved this time though." She traced a path from Sharn to a mountain range to the north. "A place called Shining Valley is supposed to be located here, and it's your job to find it, and bring a certain relic there. It's not easy, nobody has an exact map of the region, it's cold and the inhabitants might not be too hospitable. You lot up for it?"

Spoiler: The map
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Bonvica responds with youthful exuberance. "Definitely! Do we get to ride pterodactyls there? I know it's not quite Talenta but it WOULD make the journey easier. What is that, like a hundred miles? And it looks like the train doesn't head that way."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Lhara." Teeth flash as Toryc grinned, returning the wink. She listened to the briefing, then tapped a single claw on the region they were tasked with travelling to. "You already know my answer to your question, so no need to give it. Hgn, and this is very close to home. We might meet denizens from Droaam in these mountains."

A nod at Bonvica and a laugh. "Faster then foot! We know a Talenta Halfing, but she would rather stab me then help us find mounts. If we do ask her, it'd need to be someone other than me." A rumble. "We would need equipment for climbing, and a lot of supplies. And yes, the method of travel needs deciding."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"I appreciate the enthusiasm!" barked Lhara. "The guild, by which I of course mean myself, has in fact arranged transportation. Better than train or a horse, and certainly faster than a pterodactyl, though which one is better is a subjective judgement. Captain Darien d'Lyrandar will take you there on his airship. Or close enough at least, don't think there are many places for airship to dock there. He's a fine enough fellow, has done a lot of business with the guild. There's still going to be climbing and trekking involved, and like Toryc mentioned, denizens of Droaam. Who may or may not be amicable towards you. Let's just hope you run into old friends!" She grinned and nodded at Toryc.

Lhara had also brought a backpack with her, and hefted it on the table. "Now while I said nobody has an exact region of the map, I do have a map for you. Can't vouch for accuracy, but hopefully it'll guide you to the right direction." She then pulled a beautifully crafted sapphire amulet out of the bag, the gemstone hanging from a silver chain. "Previously, you dealth with Fernia. This one should be much nicer. Within the Shining Valley, there should be a large Irian manifest zone, a plane of light and positive energy. According to Faurious, it ought to be pretty easy to notice when you're inside the zone. You just need to keep the gem there for 24 hours to charge it, and it should have a pretty bright glow once it's done." Lhara said. She put the amulet in the pack and pushed it towards you. "Sounds easy enough, right?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Gnoll's head canted as she digested this information, taking another drink from her cup. "What is the purpose of this relic Lhara? Airships cost a great deal, even if I trust you can have the price lowered, so it must be valuable." She eyed the amulet, leaning forward to study it before she carefully picked up the pack Lhara had placed it in. "Might we have enemies trying to take it from us en route?" Her teeth flashed in a hopeful grin at the prospect. "It is simple, yes. That does not mean easy, as we all know. But failure is not sought and won't be found."

A sly look. "I do hope you've given us something to come with a challenge, but we will see."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Far as I can tell, the same as that statue you delivered. Faurious is researching the planes, and needs these relics for his work. Can't really speak for specifics though." Lhara shrugged. "It's true that he's prepared to pay a great deal, though the ship's just making a slightest detour to drop you off, so it's not like we reserved a whole ship just for you. Your names ain't that big just yet" she finished with a grin.

"Better prepare for anything. The mountains aren't deserted, and any fool with eyes can tell the amulet is valuable, even if they don't know what it's for. Since there are many unkowns, you get half of the pay in advance." Lhara tapped the bag. "50 galifars each. I also packed two healing potions for each of you as well as letters of acceptance, confirming you belong to the guild. You have to figure out the way back yourselves, but you should be able to use the letters in case you need credit. The guild will cover the travel expenses back to Sharn."

Lhara chuckled at Toryc's last comment. "Well, you lot managed to somehow involve Daask with the quick delivery job I gave you, so I imagine there will be plenty of challenges with this trip." Her tone made it clear she wasn't really blaming them for it though, just joking.

Show
    So to recap, everyone receives
    • 50 gp
    • 2 Potions of Healing
    • Letter of acceptance (Identification about being a guild member)