New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Life For Aiur? I Barely Know 'Er! - Lets Play+Read Starcraft 2: Legacy of the

As far as unit choices:

Psionic: High Templar. There's a micro-strategy involving Dark Archons, but really HT's are amazing. Storming solves many swarm-related problems, Feedback is a great tool at handling Hybrids, and of course there's always the Power Overwhelming option if you're low on energy and need a tanky archon.

Robotic Assault: Vanguard. These guys are awesome fire support. Their AOE damage can shred swarms of mooks that have clashed with your front-line units.

Cloaked Warrior: Keep the DT's. The Void Stasis ability is kinda meh without a lot of micro.

And where to go... tough choice. Personally, I'd go Tal'Darim so we can get some Skytoss action going. But Alarak is, by far, the most annoying character that Blizzard has EVER made, hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Life For Aiur? I Barely Know 'Er! - Lets Play+Read Starcraft 2: Legacy of the

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Of the two these sound more fun.
    It is the most fun and op option that sadly costs a ton.
    It allows to get ridiculous armies or destroy clusters of opponents better than templars do.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-12-05 at 03:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post

And where to go... tough choice. Personally, I'd go Tal'Darim so we can get some Skytoss action going. But Alarak is, by far, the most annoying character that Blizzard has EVER made, hands down.
    I think Keltest is about to challenge you to a duel...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

He is annoying because he is a backstabbing opportunist that does whatever will get him more power over the others while being extremely proud of himself.
    At least if he is annoying you he is not boring you.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Alarak reads like he was written by a thirteen year old edgelord who picked up the gig after getting kicked from his V:TM group for being too toxic. Then again, I suppose being mind-controlled by the most generic evil boss in recent memory would have a negative impact on competence and maturity.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Alarak reads like he was written by a thirteen year old edgelord who picked up the gig after getting kicked from his V:TM group for being too toxic.
    I know for a fact Alarak wasn't written by Steve Danuser.
    But Alarak is, by far, the most annoying character that Blizzard has EVER made, hands down.
    I know for a fact Alarak isn't Nathanos Blightcaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Pfft. I challenge him to Rak'Shir!

Besides, Stetmann wins that contest without challenge.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #188

Yeah, I am with Kel on this one. Alarak is smug as hell and his character design is out ot that 13-year old VTM reject's sketchbook (All black! More Spikes! And Claw blade gloves!), but he's not teeth-gratingly irritating to listen to the way Stettman is - particularly Co-Op Stettman.

But then, Q never bothered me as much as some people, and you can see a lot of DeLancie's old habits in his voice work this time around.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-12-05 at 11:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Votin' High Templar / Vanguard / Dark Templar for units, and Slayn for the next mission.

Alarak never really bothered me that much; every side character in SC2 is kind of a poorly-developed caricature too, so at least there's Q cosplaying an alien Sith and sounding like he's having fun with the role.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2021-12-06 at 01:35 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Votin' High Templar / Vanguard / Dark Templar for units, and Slayn for the next mission.

Alarak never really bothered me that much; every side character in SC2 is kind of a poorly-developed caricature too, so at least there's Q cosplaying an alien Sith and sounding like he's having fun with the role.
    Even the main characters are not very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post

Stettman is now the new taldarim highlord by virtue of having won a Rak'shir against the previous one?
    Now I have this vision of Stettman repeating 'My precious harvesters they are built to last but they are dying' over and over to make alarak walk backwards until he falls in a pit.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-12-06 at 02:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Even the main characters are not very complicated.
    That's true, but Raynor, Kerrigan and Artanis are allowed to have some depth.

SC2 is a bright four-color fantasy adventure so it's pretty on brand, but I'd be hard-pressed to name three personality traits for, say, Swann.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    That's true, but Raynor, Kerrigan and Artanis are allowed to have some depth.

SC2 is a bright four-color fantasy adventure so it's pretty on brand, but I'd be hard-pressed to name three personality traits for, say, Swann.
    Swann: proud, prefers straight to battlefield tests to other kinds of testing and I do not know what else.
    Still I do not know what made Artanis swear to never again pilot or command scouts.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-12-06 at 03:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

Swann: proud, prefers straight to battlefield tests to other kinds of testing and I do not know what else.
    Still I do not know what made Artanis swear to never again pilot or command scouts.
    The general awfulness that is the scout unit?
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    The general awfulness that is the scout unit?
    The scout is a fantastic unit, its just too expensive by half.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

But Alarak is, by far, the most annoying character that Blizzard has EVER made, hands down.

You're both wrong.

It's Alleria from Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal exapnsion. They may have improved her in Warcraft III and WoW, but in Warcraft II she is downright obnoxious.

Voting wise, I say let's get Void Rays. Help Alarak (annoying as he is).
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-12-06 at 08:21 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

Loves big machines.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    You're both wrong.

It's Alleria from Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal exapnsion. They may have improved her in Warcraft III and WoW, but in Warcraft II she is downright obnoxious.

Voting wise, I say let's get Void Rays. Help Alarak (annoying as he is).
    Well i mean, you never touched the other elves that way.

18. - Top - End - #198

Likes giving weird nicknames to people (Scooter, Sport...)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

1 background (folk hero)
    1 ideal (I'm here to stop the little guy from getting stepped on)
    1 bond (the Commander saved my doomed revolution)
    2 personality traits (proud, down-to-earth)
    2 quirks (gives everyone funny nicknames, has a mecha-arm)

Hey, lookit that, he used the D&D 5e character creator!

20. - Top - End - #200

Spoiler: Update 12: In Which No Opportunities Are Mist
    Show

For whatever inexplicable reason, Alarak the Tal'Darim was now apparently a permanent fixture on the ship. He hung around on the bridge for the most part, looking at me the way someone looks at a fly right before they start pulling the wings off. My dreams, or visions or whatever, had gone back to vague and unhelpful – walking blindly through clouds of purple mist, only broken when shadowy monsters leapt out to try eat me. Sometimes I was walking backwards towards a bottomless pit as the monsters closed in on all sides, always waking up as they pushed me off and I started to fall.

Researching became my way of staving off sleep until exhaustion was overpowering. Vorazun disliked Alarak too and had started spending her time in the council chambers with Rohanna, who was now locked up inside a force bubble for safety reasons. Sometimes I could get one of them to share a bit of Protoss history, but the only place that truly felt comfortable anymore was the core chamber and its invisible alien orchestra, with Karax tinkering and the dragoon-soldier Fenix clanking about. Trying to scratch the itch of memory from the name Fenix had failed except that he'd fought with, or against, the Dominion hero Edmund Duke in the First Battle of Korhal. Thanks to my perpetual sleep deprivation it took far too long before I realized the obvious answer was to ask him.

“Uh...Fenix, right? Can I maybe ask you some questions about old battles you fought in?”

He took oddly long to answer and somehow the mechanical voice sounded almost...depressed.

“You may ask me questions about the exploits of the warrior Fenix, Just Nora, but I am not him as I once believed. Fenix died long ago, though I carry his name and his memories.”

“In the distant past, an army of robotic soldiers called Purifiers was created, with personalities copied from the greatest Protoss warriors of their age. The machines rebelled and were sealed in stasis, but research continued in secret on Glacius. Fenix, here, is the last and greatest refinement of that ancient technology, an A.I. patterned on the Praetor of that name before his demise.”

“Indeed. I am but a clone, a copy, a ghost in the machine. A lie incarnate, burdened with the name and legacy of a hero of the Protoss. Artanis insists it does not matter to him, that I am as good as the original, but I find myself questioning if that is true.”

“Let me guess. You feel like anyone who looks at you is going to end up judging you against Fenix. You'll always be trailing in his shadow, whatever you accomplish on your own somehow compared to him and found wanting. You never chose to be his twin, but you think the world's still going to measure you against that impossible standard because he got there first.”

“Your words are..unsettlingly accurate, Just Nora. I am a Templar, a warrior born. My only concerns should be the tactical parameters of the battle before me. These thoughts and and worries are deeply uncomfortable to ponder, and yet I have no answers to them. Are you, perhaps, a clone as well? I did not believe such things to be within the grasp of Terran science, but I sense that you speak from close knowledge or experience.”

“Not like you are, no. But I do how you feel, I carried that sort of feeling around for a long time, and it really messed me up. Still not sure who I want to be myself, to be honest – but I've got more choices than just being the lesser twin, once I was able to see that.”

He might have had more to say, but Artanis broke in to call Fenix to the council room. I tagged along out of boredom, and when I saw Alarak had joined the group it was too late to back out. The argument seemed to be about where to go for recruiting more allies. Fenix wanted Artanis to re-awaken the original Purifier robot army, and convince them to help fight Amon. Alarak was demanding that Artanis aid him in staging some sort of coup against the Tal'Darim highlord, after which he would turn them against Amon. Rohanna insisted the Purifiers were dangerously uncontrollable machines who would betray the Protoss all over again, while Vorazun advocated for them mostly to spite Alarak.

“If you lack the strength and leadership to make this decision on your own, Heirarch, why not consult your precious alien pet?

“She is not my pet, Alarak. But I am torn, for both options have risks and opportunity. Nora, have your visions contained any insights that might be of value to us?”

“Just a lot of purple mist, and shadow monsters, and a -

“A pit deep into the depths of the planet, surrounding by the Breath of Creation in its purest natural form. Your pet prophet dreams of Slayn, Hierarch, throneworld of my people and where I shall invoke Rak'Shir to seize power over them all. Surely this is enough to settle your quavering uncertainties.”

Things moved fast after Artanis made the call, and a few days later we were warping in above the ugliest planet I had ever seen in my life, with a massive armada of Tal'Darim warships surrounding it. At first it looked like they were all going to swarm us, until Alarak got on the comm. Artanis looked like he was about to explode when Alarak told them he had captured the Spear of Adun in battle, but the lie was enough to warn them off. Whatever this 'Rakshire' ritual was, it apparently had to be followed very exactly, and the first step was killing off some other high ranking Tal'Darim.

There were five of these 'Guardians', and Alarak insisted that they all needed to die.

Complicating matters was the huge chasms full of terrazine. Not only would they make moving around hard, with the only bridges heavily defended chokepoints, every so often they would start boiling out thick fogs of, surprise surprise, purple mist.

With shadow monsters, of course. When the mists were thick, the monsters would try to swarm us – they were weak, but Amon had an infinite number of them to throw.

Karax hadn't stopped working on repairing the Spear's fabricators though, and now we had Void Ray heavy cruisers added to our fleet. They were slow, but pretty much melted anything that got in range. I didn't need prophetic dreams to know these things would be a big part of Artanis's armies from now on.

Slow meant they couldn't be everywhere at once, so a nice thick cannon line went up to protect our other flank.

The mists finally subsided and took the shadow monsters with them, but that only meant the Tal'Darim could attack instead, launching from a nearby Mothership. Rak'Shir was apparently a full-contact team sport.

In retaliation, Artanis sent the Void Rays after the Mothership that had decided to join in the fun.

Karaz gleefully called dibs on their solarite core for extra fuel.

The mists returned soon enough, though, and it was a few more tense minutes of fending off waves of shadow monsters.

The instant it faded, our armada was off on another expedition, this time to attack the closest Guardian.

His personal guards were little more than speed-bumps against a squadron of void rays, and the Guardian's personal castle wasn't much better.

A squadron of Tal'Darim fighters from another nearby Mothership came after us in return, forcing the fleet to fall back ahead of time and preventing more raiding before the mists closed in again.

The interim was long enough to build a full ring of defensive cannons surrounding the nexus point. The shadow monsters seemed determined to bring it down anyways via sheer numbers, and swarms were not a Void Ray's strong point. Alarak had volunteered his own version of Immortals though, who traded their shields and heavy guns for cluster-bomb launchers that helped a lot in keeping pressure off the cannon wall.

The second mothership met the same fate as the first, and sensors showed all the rest backing off to a safe distance rather than risk themselves by getting involved as well.

With no further distractions, our Void Rays were able to clear through the second Guardian's defenses and vaporize him, before falling back to safety ahead of the mists.

The mist hordes kept getting stronger. Shadow zealots and shadow zerglings were replaced by shadow colossi and shadow Thor mechs. The Void Rays had their work cut out for them, keeping the larger enemies off the guns.

A third guardian bit the dust once the skies were clear again. This one had Hybrids guarding him, enough of them that Artanis finally called down the Spear's giant lasers for support. Thankfully this didn't count as cheating, or at least none of the surviving Motherships wanted to punish him for it.

Amon was more than happy to retaliate on their behalf for his dead hybrids, on the other hand. He had started swarming both flanks at once, forcing the Void Rays to split up or else leave the cannon lines to defend themselves.

The Spear was even having to intervene on defense now, despite giant lasers being a massive overkill against the fragile shadows. Bit by bit our walls were going to start crumbling, but there were only two Guardians left.

None of the Tal'Darim's elaborate defensive lines were useful against a fleet that cruised right past their deathtrap bridges, circling around and punching through the Hybrids that rallied in their way.

Once they were eliminated, the Guardian himself was a piece of cake in comparison.

Alarak insisted on facing the final Guardian himself.

It was a quick fight, at least. Why Alarak hadn't done this already when his enemies were so weak was a mystery, but Artanis was glad that this mysterious Rak'Shir ritual was complete.

“Oh, did I mistakenly imply this was part of Rak'Shir? It will be useful to have Mal'ash's strongest lieutenants eliminated when I challenge him, but no. I simply wanted them dead, and you were a useful tool at hand to see it accomplished.”

“....”

Voting!

First, we have to pick our Air Assault unit:
    1) Void Ray: Has a laser beam that gains damage and range the longer it channels. Good against strong single targets.
    2) Destroyer: Has a laser beam that splits and chains to multiple targets. Good against swarms of weaker enemies.

Second, we have a new option for Robotic Support:

1) Sentry: Can recharge friendly shields, 2 units at a time, and project a field that reduces incoming ranged damage.
    2) Energizer: Can buff friendly units with a 50% increase to movement and attack speed, and transform into an immobile pylon power field. (Current Choice)
    3) Havoc: Can mark enemy units for bonus damage, increase the range of nearby ranged units, and spawn Force Fields like multiplayer sentries.

Finally, we've got 35 Solarite banked. Not enough to upgrade our Tier 4, but we can exchange Deploy Pylon for Chrono Surge, without giving up either Solar Beam or Warp Harmonization. If not, we keep it banked into secondary systems for now.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Specifically how Destroyers work is that the main target takes the full damage listed on its weapon, and each additional target takes one damage. This doesnt sound like a lot until you consider that you can have ~3 extra targets being hit this way by 20 or 30 destroyers, and they have a fairly fast rate of attack.

Destroyers would be my vote, but consider that they are really only powerful if you mass destroyers. The Death Fleet is one of the most reliable ways to survive the final mission just due to its sheer destructive power once youve maxed out on them, but you cant go for half measures with it.

For the time being, i also vote to stay with Energizers, but Chrono Surge will be more useful than Deploy Pylon in the upcoming mission no matter what army composition you go with.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Specifically how Destroyers work is that the main target takes the full damage listed on its weapon, and each additional target takes one damage. This doesnt sound like a lot until you consider that you can have ~3 extra targets being hit this way by 20 or 30 destroyers, and they have a fairly fast rate of attack.

Destroyers would be my vote, but consider that they are really only powerful if you mass destroyers. The Death Fleet is one of the most reliable ways to survive the final mission just due to its sheer destructive power once youve maxed out on them, but you cant go for half measures with it.

For the time being, i also vote to stay with Energizers, but Chrono Surge will be more useful than Deploy Pylon in the upcoming mission no matter what army composition you go with.
    I agree that massed Destroyers are pretty amazing, but my vote is for Void Rays because the focused and concentrated single-target damage is your single best hybrid-killing tool you have access to at the moment. Later on, making the switch makes sense, although VR + Carrier late game can cover both bases (single target pew-pew and AoE swarm-killing), but for now the Hybrids and single big targets are going to be the biggest threats to us, so it makes sense to counter those threats.

Fully agree with Chrono Surge + Energizers.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

So they're Protoss Mutalisks then. Like most of the variant units I've never played around with them, so I wasnt sure.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-12-12 at 09:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So they're Protoss Mutalisks then. Like most of the variant units I've never played around with them, so I wasnt sure.
    More or less. Its the same basic idea except the destroyer chassis and the range on their attack allows them to actually fight as a direct combat unit instead of a skirmish unit.

Again, i should emphasize that they really only work as an all or nothing unit though. Void Rays are strictly better if you arent intending to mass them.

I agree that massed Destroyers are pretty amazing, but my vote is for Void Rays because the focused and concentrated single-target damage is your single best hybrid-killing tool you have access to at the moment. Later on, making the switch makes sense, although VR + Carrier late game can cover both bases (single target pew-pew and AoE swarm-killing), but for now the Hybrids and single big targets are going to be the biggest threats to us, so it makes sense to counter those threats.

Fully agree with Chrono Surge + Energizers.
    Disagree. Vanguards are better at killing hybrids. Or any of the other immortal variants really. Vanguards just deal insane DPS to armored large targets that all their projectiles hit (ie hybrids, ultralisks and buildings), and the other two variants have both large anti-armor damage and, most importantly, smart fire, so they will never overkill.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-12-12 at 11:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Colossus in the Playground

Im a fan of the destroyers, I always loved a muta swarm for havoc and slaughter. Attack move and everything is being bombarded at once. Back it up with a decent bio ball of zealots and dragoons and you chew through enemy formations incredibly fast.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to put a vote in for leaving the extra solarite in base upgrades. Extra supply and build time is super nice, and I don't think the upgrade from Deploy Pylon is worth dropping the base upgrade.

Destroyers get my vote as well. AFK Zombie Skytoss ftw.

27. - Top - End - #207

Spoiler: Update 13: In Which Rak Beats Shir, Sirs
    Show

The ritual began for real at dawn the next day – Alarak had made himself scarce in the meantime, and the one time I saw him he was surrounded by a fog of terrazine gas and apparently high as a kite.

Rohanna was able to explain the rules of the fight, and it seemed pretty simple. The two fighters – Alarak and the guy he was trying to overthrow – would blast each other with their mind lasers. No one else was allowed to attack either of them directly.

At each end of the long pathway was a huge bottomless pit, like in my dreams. If a fighter got pushed back to the edge of the pit, the other warrior would knock them into it and win.

Outsiders couldn't technically attack the duelists, but by pledging themselves as supporters of one fighter or the other, it would provide psychic support and strengthen their chosen fighter's attacks. And the supplicants could fight each other as much as they wanted.

If we wanted Alarak to win, that meant keeping our army close to him and killing any Tal'Darim who tried to help Mal'ash.

If it was just Protoss vs. Protoss that'd be a cinch, but Ma'lash had hybrids coming to aid him and they were a bit tougher.

Apparently it also wasn't cheating to set up defenses beforehand, strongpoints you could fall back on if the enemy had the advantage.

And if it was cheating, well they did it first so all's fair in love and Rak'shir.

A good thing we did, because their counterattacks ramped up quickly. Hybrids leading bands of fanatical soldiers would have destroyed our troops without the defensive line and the Spear providing shield support.

Bit by bit Alarak was gaining ground, though. That just encouraged Amon to step up his game and send stronger hybrids to help out.

Again, we were forced back onto the fortifications. Alarak was furious at our lackluster support and inferior capabilities, but too focused on the duel itself to do more than complain every so often.

Artanis's patience was growing thing at the barbs, so he brought the Spear in closer despite the risk of attacks from the Tal'Darim fleet and began direct fire support. Instead of encouraging counter-attacks, this show of strength actually seemed to impress elements of the fleet as more Destroyers fell into formation with our ships as their captains pledged loyalty to Alarak.

The additional troops allowed Artanis and Karax to go chasing off after some of the local wildlife, whose bodies apparently contained solarite. Maybe they liked to eat it or something?

Back on the main stretch, Ma'lash was definitely starting to struggle. While his troops had no end to them, they were mostly cannon fodder without hybrids to back them up.

Alarak pushed him closer and closer to the pit, causing more and more of the Tal'Darim who had been watching on the sidelines to commit themselves in our favor. No one likes to root for a loser, seems that's a universal trait.

One final elemental was close enough to be harvested. Karax was delighted to have figured out that these creatures apparently produced a form of solarite as byproducts of their digestion. So they didn't eat solarite...kinda the exact opposite. Artanis didn't want to know any more, and I couldn't blame him. Protoss and orifices were apparently always a touchy subject.

With only the final push to go, Alarak stopped playing around and went full aggro on the increasingly desperate Ma'lash.

It felt like hours had gone by since the start of the ritual, but in minutes he had the soon-to-be-former Highlord teetering against the edge of the pit.

“Our confrontation draws to a close, Ma'lash. Soon, everyone will know the depths of your treachery.”

“Our master has already won, Alarak. You only lead our people to their doom.”

“You are right about one thing – I will lead them. But it will be to Amon's doom instead.”

“That is blasphemy! This is madness!”

“THIS! IS! RAK'SHIR!”

One final blast sent Ma'lash plummeting down to his death, with Alarak's psychic boot print on his chest.

And that was that. Alarak declared himself the victor, and the new Highlord of all Tal'Darim. His first decree was to call for the death of Amon, who had betrayed their people and lied by falsely promising immortality as hybrids. If any of them weren't keen on rebelling against their god, they were smart enough to stay very quiet and pretend otherwise.

I was just happy to be leaving soon. Slayn was ugly and it sucked – going crazy was honestly looking like a more appealing option than looking at any more of this place.

Yes, I went there.

First, we've got the option of swapping to a new unit:

Psionic Warrior Slot:
    A) High Templar – Support caster, can Feedback enemy casters for high damage, or cast Psionic Storms that damage enemies and restore allied shields. (Current Choice)
    B) Dark Archon – Support caster, can permanently Mind Control enemy units, or Confuse groups of enemies into fighting each other.
    C) Ascendant – Offensive caster, can nuke single targets with Mind Blast, launch Psionic Orbs that deal AoE damage in a line, and drain health from nearby allies to regain energy.

Next, we have a new tier of subsystems unlocked, which means re-allocating our Solarite again.

Solarite Total: 215

Tier 1:
    -Deploy Pylon (0 Solarite): Instant free Pylon at any location.
    -Chrono Surge (25 Solarite): Target building acts 1000% faster for 20 seconds, warping in units or researching upgrades.
    -Warp In Reinforcements (50 Solarite): Instant free Pylon at any location, but it also comes with 2 Melee Warriors (Centurions) and 2 Ranged Warriors (Dragoons).

Tier 2:
    -Orbital Bombardment (0 Solarite): Strike 5 circular locations for 50 damage (+50 vs. Armored).
    -Temporal Field (25 Solarite): Freeze 3 locations in time-bubbles that stun enemies for 20 seconds.
    -Solar Beam (50 Solarite): Strike 3 line-shaped areas for 200 damage each.

Tier 3:
    Nexus Overcharge (0 Solarite): Nexus structures get a photon cannon glued to their roof, letting them defend against attackers. "Your probes are under attack!"
    Orbital Assimilation (25 Solarite): Assimilators become automated and no longer need probes to harvest.
    Warp Harmonization (50 Solarite): Robotics Facilities and Stargates can transform into Warp Gates, and all warp-in cooldowns get cut by 20%.

Tier 4:
    Mass Recall (0 Solarite): Teleport a group of units back to your home Nexus and give them a 200-point shield.
    Shield Overcharge (50 Solarite): Give all friendly units and structures a temporary 200-point shield boost.
    Deploy Fenix (100 Solarite): Fenix drops onto the battlefield and fights by himself for 30 seconds, doing high AoE damage wherever he goes.

Tier 5:
    Matrix Overload (0 Solarite): Friendly units inside the Power Field of a Pylon gain +25% speed and +15% attack speed, which lasts for 15 seconds after leaving it.
    Guardian Shell (50 Solarite): Friendly units are invulnerable for 5 seconds when they would otherwise be killed, with a 60-second cooldown for any one unit.
    Reconstruction Beam (100 Solarite): Up to 3 friendly mechanical units or structures are passively healed for 5/10 life per second.

And Lastly, are we next headed for:
    1) Revanscar - Wipe out what remains of Moebius Corps and destroy Amon's hybrid breeding labs. Unlocks Capital Ships.
    2) Endion - Awaken and recruit the ancient Purifier construct army. Unlocks Robotic Siege units.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-12-18 at 04:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have to vote for Revanscar, because carriers. Its also just a fun mission.

I also vote for ascendants, which in the event that they get used are probably the most directly powerful of the three caster units. High Templar pull double duty as a support/front line role with their shield regen and archons, and dark archons are all about being a support caster. Ascendants kill things really, really hard.

Finally, for Solarite, i vote for Deploy Pylon, Solar Beam, Orbital Assimilation, Mass Recall and Reconstruction beam.

As far as the mission goes, while Slayn itself is fairly ugly, i really like Rak'shir as an actually kind of effective method of klingon promotion. Actual leaders with charisma, intelligence and leadership ability can go up against meatheads that wouldnt know which end of the army is the front and win in direct battle.

Edit: Changed my mind on the solarite. Forgot for a moment that your carriers wouldnt repair yet.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-12-18 at 08:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

I almost brought out some High Templar in this map to counter the Hybrid Dominators with Feedback, but by the time it became practical I could just Death Fleet nuke them down instead.

Is Guardian Shell really that useful? Even if you manage to micro your cripples out of the scrum, you're left with a unit sitting at like 5 HP and eating supply you could give to a 100% healthy unit instead. I figured Matrix Overload was going to be the go-to pick here with Energizers in our force mix and Deploy Pylon.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-12-18 at 06:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Revanscar - Wipe out what remains of Moebius Corps and destroy Amon's hybrid breeding labs. Unlocks Capital Ships.
    Of the two this seems like the more logical tactical choice; the hybrids keep showing up so it makes sense to try stopping them at the source.