New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: My Life For Aiur? I Barely Know 'Er! - Lets Play+Read Starcraft 2: Legacy of the

As far as my micro, doing Co-Op has definitely improved it a lot. It's not up to the tier of real pro players in any fashion, but I can micro somewhat effectively. It's not as conducive to a screenshot LP, though, since you can't see it in action and it's harder to get good pictures.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Life For Aiur? I Barely Know 'Er! - Lets Play+Read Starcraft 2: Legacy of the

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Yea, nerazim for both choices. Iirc one blink gets you more effective EHP than the armor boost (which can't be healed). Even if you aren't blink microing, stalkers are much less clunky to use because of the difference in move rate and attack speed. Blink being available is just gravy.

Centurion having access to the blink charge again makes them much easier to use as they get to the front much better. The stunning also helps facilitate their role as a frontline unit that holds the line for your more expensive units to wreak havoc.

I don't mean to be repetitive, but I love the lp, and don't really have the time or energy to really do a deep dive response to it. I appreciate you doing it Glyphstone, and am an avid, if quiet reader.
    In SC1 shields used to regen mid fight instead of taking an eternity before their regen kicked.
    So I could against the ai(which was considerably dumber) make dragoons low on shield dance around trying to path a way behind the other dragoons and then a move it again and it would considerably increase life expectancy because the shield would start regenerating immediately.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-20 at 11:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    In SC1 shields used to regen mid fight instead of taking an eternity before their regen kicked.
    So I could against the ai(which was considerably dumber) make dragoons low on shield dance around trying to path a way behind the other dragoons and then a move it again and it would considerably increase life expectancy because the shield would start regenerating immediately.
    In SC1, shields regenerated like zerg regen. In SC2, they regenerate much quicker, but wont regen if theyve been hit within a certain timeframe.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In SC1, shields regenerated like zerg regen. In SC2, they regenerate much quicker, but wont regen if theyve been hit within a certain timeframe.
    https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Plasma_shield
    The difference is not as huge as it could be: it regenerates at 2/s instead of 1.5/s but it takes 10 seconds before recharging.
    So for regenerating 60 shield after taking a hit for example it takes as much time in SC1 and SC2 but mid fight SC1 kind of regen is much better because mid fight with SC1 shield you keep regenerating while taking the hits.
    The reason why SC2 shields are way better is that they do not take full damage from all attacks.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

My vote for Centurion and Stalker as well. Spinlots are fun for some missions, but Centurions are your first taste of the campaign unit oh pea ness.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2021-09-21 at 08:15 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    My vote for Centurion and Stalker as well. Spinlots are fun for some missions, but Centurions are your first taste of the campaign unit oh pea ness.
    Did this game go with as much power tripping as Heart of the swarm did during its campaign? I can't remember

I remember my strategy for most Protoss missions in the first game and expansion: guard some probes making pylons and photon cannons, encourage the enemy to chase units into the photon cannons and profit.

Of course my method for defeating Protoss in the first game was destroying the pylons, then mopping up easier
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    Did this game go with as much power tripping as Heart of the swarm did during its campaign? I can't remember

I remember my strategy for most Protoss missions in the first game and expansion: guard some probes making pylons and photon cannons, encourage the enemy to chase units into the photon cannons and profit.

Of course my method for defeating Protoss in the first game was destroying the pylons, then mopping up easier
    A lot of it is quintessential "protoss deathball rolls over enemy" type play, but the prevalence of hybrid enemies and the substantially greater threats to your base tone the power trip back IMO. You have power, but the enemy is smarter than to just exclusively run into your meatgrinder.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

A lot of it is quintessential "protoss deathball rolls over enemy" type play, but the prevalence of hybrid enemies and the substantially greater threats to your base tone the power trip back IMO. You have power, but the enemy is smarter than to just exclusively run into your meatgrinder.
    Your zealots and spear of adun top bar abilities are so powerful that you can do most missions with only those.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-26 at 03:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Your zealots and spear of adun top bar abilities are so powerful that you can do most missions with only those.
    Sure, if youre willing to take ten times as long.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, if youre willing to take ten times as long.
    Actually it is the reverse in many mission you have to rush really hard to prevent air to build up too much.
    Being able to hit air with stuff other than the spear of adun helps a whole lot if you want to play slowly.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-26 at 03:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

Once you unlock the blasting ability of the spear of adun it gets a LOT faster to clear objectives. Its like sending a baneling wave into a hard point and melting most of it before your army arrives. Suddenly the choke point is defenseless and there is little there to stop your squad from getting up the ramp. Really reduces the forces you need build before you attack when you arent going to lose several trying to bulldoze through a bunch of bunkers or photon canons or whatever. Its honestly funny how broken the campaign only stuff is in swarm and void. Kerrigan can virtually solo stuff end game, and the spear has so many major abilities that make things go so much faster its nuts. The terran stuff felt a lot more subdued but still powerful with the research and the upgrades you could buy from swann.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #72

Spoiler: Update 4: In Which A Sound Thrashing Is Administered
    Show

October 10th, 2506:

The Spear of Adun was....huge. I'm talking 'that's no moon' huge, here. It made Sarah's leviathan look like a toy, and that was already the biggest thing I'd ever seen in space. You could fit an entire city or three inside it, and apparently the Protoss who had built it a zillion years ago did basically that. They had planned for anything with forges and factories, a whole army sealed away in stasis pods, and even an apartment building's worth of assorted rooms for alien guests. Protoss had really strict rules on interacting with other species, but like I said, planned for anything. It meant I had a bed and a bathroom, at least.

The evil Protoss ships stopped chasing us after we warped out of the Aiur system, ending up in the middle of deep space. When I finally fell asleep though, I had a new dream; running across a desert of blue and purple sand at night, with a huge shining city of dark stone and glowing green crystals on the mountain ahead. Behind me was a tidal wave of teeth and chitin, thousands of hungry Zerg with hybrids leading the charge. But the Zerg were closer than the city, and winning the race; I couldn't reach it in time, but the others ahead of me might. I stopped, turning around and igniting my warp blades – then woke up, drenched in sweat as usual. Dreams about being chased by Zerg were nothing new, of course, and of course I'd have one after the day I'd been through, but I'd never dreamed I was a Protoss. Then again, I'd never spent any time around Protoss before either. It'd be hours before I could sleep again, though, so I got dressed and went for a walk. It was night, and the Spear was huge, so I never expected to see anyone else. I definitely didn't expect to run into Heirarch Artanis, and he seemed equally surprised.

“My apologies for disturbing you, Witness. I have difficult decisions to make, and a walking meditation has often helped settle my mind. I did not realize I had entered this part of the ship.”

“It's okay. I was doing the same thing actually – settling my mind. Had a bad dream. Besides, it's your ship anyways.”

“Tell me, what do Terrans dream of? We Protoss also have dreams, though they are – were - influenced by the currents of the Khala.”

“Eh, mostly silly stuff. Being late to work, or making a speech in your underwear. I get weird dreams sometimes though, like just now. I was a Protoss, I think, running across a blue desert with purple clouds overhead, and a whole bunch of Zerg -”

All of a sudden, Artanis was not politely standing back where I could look at him without craning my neck. He was right up close, crouching to stare me in the face.

“Please. Begin again from the start, Witness. Describe this dream to me, in every detail you can.”

So I did, despite having no idea what was going on. Artanis was completely silent until the end, then he stood up.

“Thank you, Witness. You have been most helpful this night.”

He turned and disappeared, leaving me still wide awake and now completely confused.

October 14th. 2506 (maybe? Protoss warp speed is different)

We came out of warp around another planet. It was blue and purple, covered in clouds like the desert I dreamed of, but even from here we could see flashes of light and explosions on the surface, and massive flocks of Zerg diving in and out of the atmosphere. The communicator screens flickered on to show a Dark Templar woman, who was clearly relieved to see Artanis. The next few minutes were very educational, in a 'we're all going to die' sort of way.

This was Shakuras, the Dark Templar homeworld, and it was basically overrun. A warp gate that linked it to Aiur had burst open and started flooding the planet with Zerg and hybrids, killing tons of people and forcing the rest back into a siege of their capital city.

The city's warp conduit was sending refugee ships into orbit past the flying Zerg, but the shuttle launch bays were being sealed by creep and slowing the evacuation. They needed reinforcements to break the shuttles free of their prisons.

Artanis promptly deployed to the surface, meeting up with the remainder of Matriarch Vorazun – the Nerazim lady – 's Dark Templar soldiers.

He'd barely begun to set up his nexus, though, when an earthquake shook the city. Some sort of portal opened up, and a huge monster made of scythes and tentacles popped out. It started bombarding the warp conduit, with a whole mess of Zerg gathered around to guard it.

They had a giant thrasher-monster. But we had a Spear of Adun, and apparently it had orbital bombardment cannons. They made a right mess of the defending Zerg, and the Dark Templar were able to charge in and carve it to pieces afterwards.

With the immediate threat gone, Artanis sent some dark templar up to scout a path towards one of the shuttle bays while he built defenses. Along the way, they found one of the city's remaining fuel depots. Seeing as how the city didn't need fuel anymore on account of being smoking ruins, Artanis happily liberated the remaining supplies.

Being invisible was a huge help in avoiding all the Zerg, but there were Overseers in the sky who could detect them anyways. It took some careful zig-zagging to slip through the patrols.

The launch bay itself was entirely unguarded, at least by anything that could see the dark templar. A whole bunch of frenzied hacking later and it was free to start launching shuttles into orbit.

Another void thrasher popped up, and this time the Zerg had wised up. They'd brought a spore crawler in to guard it, which could sense invisible enemies – but unfortunately the dark templar knew that too, and killed it before it could properly root and expose them.

With the thrasher now defenseless – it could only blindly spit lightning at the ground that they dodged – another one bit the dust, and the shuttle bay it had been close to was promptly liberated.

More dark templar had worked their way in to join the fight, with the raiders easily pouncing on any spore crawlers that showed themselves while shredding their way through the helpless and blind Zerg afterwards.

The third shuttle bay was up on a plateau with Zerg entrenched to protect it, but the Spear's cannons were ready to fire again. They blasted the heck out of the defenses, and in the confusion a small group of dark templar slipped past the survivors and out of range of the spore crawlers.

Again, nothing could stop the stealthy Protoss from cutting all the creep away from the launch bay.

A third thrasher joined the fight in response, though. If the Zerg couldn't keep the launch bays shut, they could try and demolish the void conduit first.

Already knowing the patrol paths of the overseers nearby, the dark templar headed that way en masse. It was a trickier fight this time, launching hit-and-run attacks against the void thrasher whenever it was left exposed without an Overseer, but this was clearly a strategy the dark templar knew well.

The next thrasher didn't fare any better. The dark templar just waited until the local Overseer had moved away, then charged in to carve up the monster before it could deal any serious damage.

Artanis's own army had built up a bit by now, and they came in to help with the cleanup as well as shoot down those pesky Overseers to make scouting easier.

Another fuel depot was tucked away nearby, and promptly cleaned out.

That only left one shuttle bay, but now a void thrasher had appeared nearby. Between the bay's own defenders and the Zerg emerging to guard the thrasher, it was almost a solid wall of Zerg.

This was all or nothing, and the Protoss attacked accordingly. Stalkers blasted away at the swarming Zerg while Dark Templar carved them into ribbons.

When Nydus worms started popping out and spewing reinforcements, the Stalkers only moved in closer. It was suicidal for the lightly-armored machines, and I'm sure they knew it – I watched a pair of Ultralisks tear one apart like a chew toy. Blinking around to make the Zerg chase them only delayed the inevitable, and pretty soon they were all destroyed.

Of course, that had been the plan all along. While the Stalkers drew attention, the Dark Templar had stopped fighting and skulked past the guards invisibly, to where the shuttle bay was momentarily unguarded. A frenzied assault broke it clean before the Zerg could react.

More thrashers started spawning, but it was too late – the last of the evacuation shuttles was launching to safety through the conduit, while Artanis started recalling his forces. The Zerg could have the city, or what was left of it.

And thus ends the Second Siege of Talematros. It's a much trickier mission when you have to get interesting screenshots amidst the DT micro.

But we get two Votes now! First, select our Cloaked Warrior:
    1) Dark Templar: Can attack with Shadow Fury for a large DPS burst against groups.
    2) Avenger: Has Emergency Recall, gaining a free teleport back to base and full-heal every 60 seconds.

And even better, we can now customize the Spear of Adun's systems. How this is going to work, I'll present our total budget, and list the options/costs of each tier. Vote for however many options you like, with a priority order of first-second-etc. - unspent solarite will go into Starting Supply, because faster building construction is useless. Right now we can only get 1 thing, but there will be a chance to re-allocate after every mission where we gain more Solarite.

Solarite Total: 40

Tier 1:
    -Deploy Pylon (0 Solarite): Instant free Pylon at any location.
    -Chrono Surge (25 Solarite): Target building acts 1000% faster for 20 seconds, warping in units or researching upgrades.

Tier 2:
    -Orbital Bombardment (0 Solarite): Strike 5 locations for 50 damage (+50 vs. Armored).
    -Temporal Field (25 Solarite): Freeze 3 locations in time-bubbles that stun enemies for 20 seconds.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-09-26 at 07:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I vote for Dark Templar, and Chrono Surge. Deploy pylon is almost useless in the next mission, and Temporal Field vs Orbital Bombardment isnt really an interesting choice.

As far as the units go, Dark Templar are just the coolest thing in the protoss arsenal IMO. I love the nerazim aesthetic and DTs were my favorite unit in Brood War. The campaign just makes them even more powerful, and at this point theyre basically your best tool for killing anything on the ground.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler: Update 4: In Which A Sound Thrashing Is Administered
    Show
    Along the way, they found one of the city's remaining fuel depots. Seeing as how the city didn't need fuel anymore on account of being smoking ruins, Artanis happily liberated the remaining supplies.
    Excellent writing as always!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote for Dark Templar, and Chrono Surge. Deploy pylon is almost useless in the next mission, and Temporal Field vs Orbital Bombardment isnt really an interesting choice.

As far as the units go, Dark Templar are just the coolest thing in the protoss arsenal IMO. I love the nerazim aesthetic and DTs were my favorite unit in Brood War. The campaign just makes them even more powerful, and at this point theyre basically your best tool for killing anything on the ground.
    I can second that dark templars are so good at killing ground from a distance that it even makes high templars pale in comparison.
    They however needs very sightly more micro to use right than avengers because when a dark templar dies it is dead.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-26 at 11:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote for:

Dark Templar: Shadow Fury is just insanely strong, especially if you can get a critical mass of DTs going. They also invulnerable during Shadow Fury, which is especially nice against banelings.

Deploy Pylon and Temporal Field: Deploy Pylon isn't useful in the next mission, but assuming you're going for static defense, your biggest problem will be the waves of banelings coming in. Temporal Field is a good way to stop those for a while, and its easier to target than Orbital Bombardment.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    I vote for:

Dark Templar: Shadow Fury is just insanely strong, especially if you can get a critical mass of DTs going. They also invulnerable during Shadow Fury, which is especially nice against banelings.

Deploy Pylon and Temporal Field: Deploy Pylon isn't useful in the next mission, but assuming you're going for static defense, your biggest problem will be the waves of banelings coming in. Temporal Field is a good way to stop those for a while, and its easier to target than Orbital Bombardment.
    Ive actually found that planting a bunch of Dark Templar in front of the cannons with shadow fury ready will kill most of the banelings while the DTs are invulnerable, before the banelings get in range of the cannons.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Ive actually found that planting a bunch of Dark Templar in front of the cannons with shadow fury ready will kill most of the banelings while the DTs are invulnerable, before the banelings get in range of the cannons.
    Their immortality period means they are also good at killing ground detectors.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Their immortality period means they are also good at killing ground detectors.
    Indeed, but you need a critical mass for that. Shadow Fury tends to spread its hits out over the maximum number of targets, so if you have, say, a pack of zerglings around a spore crawler, the crawler will only get hit once per DT.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed, but you need a critical mass for that. Shadow Fury tends to spread its hits out over the maximum number of targets, so if you have, say, a pack of zerglings around a spore crawler, the crawler will only get hit once per DT.
    In early missions the critical mass is at something like 4 dts (because the instahit nature means that it does not deal a lot of overkill) but it raises probably over time.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-27 at 09:00 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81

I will agree with dark templar, I rarely have ever cared much about needing to rush back to base. As for the spear, normally im full deploy pylons guy, but i agree, for this mission its less needed. Still a handy way to help with my general base defense of a wall of photons around my camp to shoot down overlords trying to air drop units. Its handy if you exploit knowledge of knowing where they come from for optimal placement (trying to fully encircle the entire area is... lets just say pricey :p) Plus a few scattered inside the base because of nydus worms or whatever later on in the game. Its always handy to be able to destroy the incoming stuff before you can identify where it landed. But overall, you arent going to be able to drop more than a handful anyways in the time you have so less important. Also, go dragoons because you are going to want every bit of range you can get to shoot down the various incoming attackers. Iirc they have longer range than stalkers.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #82

I do plan on trying to max this one out. Not sure I can hit the Mastery grade timer while also getting screenshots, but I'll be pushing it to the end.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I do plan on trying to max this one out. Not sure I can hit the Mastery grade timer while also getting screenshots, but I'll be pushing it to the end.
    If you want to progress through the campaign, you can always do it on casual to make sure you get the solarite, then go back on whatever your preferred difficulty is and grab the screenshots. Thats typically what i do when i replay the campaign because im impatient and dont like turtle protoss like that.

24. - Top - End - #84

Eh, I have no worries about getting the solarite, that only requires lasting for 30min. 37min is the hardest achievement threshold. And a static map like this is easier to get shots for though.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If I were playing the game, I would go with avengers on account of not being good enough to manage a strike crew of DTs and properly macro at the same time; I would welcome being able to have a fire-and-forget infiltration group that doesn't need exfiltration. (I also think the recall ability is very on-brand for Protoss and therefore like it thematically.) However, it doesn't sound like that's a problem you have (except for the screenshots).

As far as abilities go, I'd say chrono surge and orbital bombardment.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Deploy Pylon is imo much better than chronoboost. Allowing you to instantly Warp in reinforcements, including air and robotics later, is such a nice qol upgrade that makes your forward forces so much more potent.

DT, Deploy Pylon, and Orbital Bombardment for my votes.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Nice job! I vote for Dark Templars, Chrono Surge, and orbital strike for this level.

28. - Top - End - #88

Spoiler: Update 4: In Which Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions
    Show

With all the evacuation ships loaded onto the Spear of Adun, it was only us in orbit above Shakuras and all the Zerg living there now. If it was up to me, I'd already be high-tailing it out of the system before enough flying Zerg came through that portal to threaten us. The Protoss lady in charge of the Dark Templar had joined the Hierarch on the bridge, where they were politely disagreeing with each other about what to do next. I could 'hear' their disagreement from all the way across the room, but I figured as long as nobody had their laser swords out it was still a polite one. Artanis felt the same way I did – the ship had every living Protoss in the universe onboard now, and if the Golden Armada came to finish us off we'd be trapped between the fleet and the Zerg. But Vorazun, which must have been her name, was out for blood, and she didn't want to leave Shakuras as a breeding ground for Amon's zerg.

Instead, she wanted to blow it up. Which, honestly, sounded really cool. I'd never seen a planet blow up before except in holo-vids, and real life had an infinite special effects budget. Plus, I totally understood not wanting to have to come back and clean everything up again considering what a mess Aiur was in already. Artanis finally gave in, seeing as how it was her planet and all that, but with a twist of his own that made the whole thing even cooler. A planet would make one heck of a bomb, and the more Zerg he could lure in through that warp gate the better.

Making the planet go boom wasn't going to be simple. They had to charge up a big Xel'Naga temple with enough power to make it overload, which would do bad things to the planet's core or something – I dunno, I always found an excuse to walk away when Terry started talking about seismic tectonics or whatever at the water cooler. Friendly guy, Terry, but such a dork.

And because nothing in this crazy scenario was going to be easy, the temple itself also had a safety mechanism that needed to be disabled before it could overload. Three big 'Zenith Stones' that would bleed off the surplus energy unless someone went and made them have an accident.

And of course, the temple itself would have to be defended the whole time. Amon was crazy and super evil but he clearly wasn't stupid – as soon as that thing started powering up every Zerg in sight would be swarming over the defenses. Some turrets would hopefully convince them otherwise.

They didn't waste any time, either. Almost immediately the closest Zerg started charging in. There were only a few of them, but with practically no defenses in place they might still do some damage.

The Dark Templar disagreed very much. Before even a single Zergling could make it to the gun line, they were teleporting around and absolutely shredding the incoming critters into a cloud of paste.

Before another wave could arrive, they took advantage of the lull to go out and attack one of the Zenith stones.

It wasn't exactly meant to fight back, but when you start stabbing holes in a giant rock full of psionic energy, some of that leaks out in weird directions. Nobody actually died, but a few of the Protoss who went out came back looking a bit charred.

Another wave came in from a hive in the northwest, and after beating it back, they promptly scurried out to do the same thing to a second Zenith stone.

Meanwhile, back at base Amon was trying to get sneaky. He'd loaded up a bunch of Overlords with critters and tried to drop them behind us, but Artanis was sneakier and had thought ahead with cannons just in case.

The last zenith stone was protected by fliers, though, and had some Overseers lurking around to stop any Dark Templar shenanigans.

Instead, Artanis snuck a probe out while the Dark Templar caused a distraction, and set down a pylon to warp in Stalkers right near the stone.

They cleared out the air cover without a problem, and gunned down the stone. Now all that was left was to lure enough Zerg onto the planet to make this whole mad scheme worth the effort.

And speaking of air cover, Amon was starting to get serious. His hybrids had finally arrived at the party, with a new kind of flying hybrid I'd never seen before.

Regular hybrids were appearing now too, of course. Only a few of them for now, but according to Vorazun there were half a billion Zerg on the planet by now, and every single one of them was rushing the temple grounds.

It might take half a billion Zerg to get through, though. Artanis was building nearly solid walls of fortifications across every side of the plateau, with probes zooming in every direction to patch holes or set up new lines. It was a little odd when I noticed it – aside from the handful of Dark Templar volunteers who had gone down for the vanguard, he wasn't committing any actual Protoss to the defense. Only robots and automated cannons....and himself, I guess, doing whatever he was up to inside the temple.

More Zerg came, and more Zerg died. There were over a billion of them infesting the planet now, and losing that many troops in one blow would make even Amon have to pause and regroup. But Artanis kept waiting, since Karax had found a solarite cache underneath the plateau that could be used to fuel the Spear.

Having the sheer number of Probes he did started to make sense. When Banelings or Ultralisks or Hybrids punched a hole in the walls, Artanis would have new ones warped in before the next wave could take advantage of the breach.

Zerg air support was getting even thicker, with drop pods raining down from the skies right past the turret lines. It was hard to find a place to land in between the solid walls of turrets and monolith cannons built up, but they tried all the same.

Over a billion and a half zerg had occupied Shakuras by now, and I could see the lines starting to buckle. It was kind of awe-inspiring in a way, and terrifying. Nothing short of hybrids could even make a dent in the Protoss defenses, and where one or two of them had been scary for Terran troops, Amon was throwing them away by the dozens just to swamp the Protoss under monster corpses. Emperor Mengsk – the first one, I mean – had made such a big deal about how valiant sacrifices were all that kept the Protoss from wiping us out. I'm pretty sure all that kept the Protoss from wiping us out was that they didn't care enough to spare the time and effort.

Buckle they did though, because Amon could sacrifice dozens of his hybrids and have hundreds more right behind them. And while the regular Zerg couldn't breach the defenses, they could swarm through and wreak havoc once a hole was opened.

With close to two billion Zerg in the trap, and the Temple itself starting to take hits, that was enough. Artanis beamed all the intact Probes and surviving Dark Templar back aboard the Spear of Adun. It took almost a full minute before he returned too, covered head to toe in Zerg guts. And just in time.

I was able to see it from the bridge. It started as a bright orange glow, the color of molten lava, around where the temple had been. Then it started to spread.

Other patches of ground across the planet were turning orange, growing wider, as flocks of flying Zerg fled frantically into space in every direction...

Then. Well...it exploded. The flying Zerg got to die a few seconds later than the rest, and that was it. Every Protoss on the bridge flinched in unison, and for a moment it felt like someone had punched me in the back of the head from the inside. It faded back to a dull throbbing quickly, but where the headache had come from in the first place I couldn't begin to guess. No one was paying attention to me anyways, so I slipped off to take a nap. Weird dreams were still better than this.

No new units to vote in, but we did get 10 more Solarite here, and we can choose a new destination!

We have 50 Solarite to spend now, which means access to the most expensive Tier 1 or Tier 2 powers if we want them.

Solarite Total: 50

Tier 1:
    -Deploy Pylon (0 Solarite): Instant free Pylon at any location.
    -Chrono Surge (25 Solarite): Target building acts 1000% faster for 20 seconds, warping in units or researching upgrades.
    -Warp In Reinforcements (50 Solarite): Instant free Pylon at any location, but it also comes with 2 Melee Warriors (Centurions) and 2 Ranged Warriors (Stalkers). 450/100 worth of free troops in all.

Tier 2:
    -Orbital Bombardment (0 Solarite): Strike 5 circular locations for 50 damage (+50 vs. Armored).
    -Temporal Field (25 Solarite): Freeze 3 locations in time-bubbles that stun enemies for 20 seconds.
    -Solar Beam (50 Solarite): Strike 3 line-shaped areas for 200 damage each.

And for our next Planet:
    Korhal - Recover the Keystone in accordance with Zeratul's last request, and add Robotic Assault units to our lineup.
    Glacius - Loot a secret Protoss research base where nobody interesting at all is tucked away in stasis, and add Robotic Support units to our lineup.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My vote's for Korhal. It seems more fitting to try and handle Zeratul's last request than to go snooping around in out-of-the-way spots.

30. - Top - End - #90

Korhal and solar beam are my votes. The warp in reinforcements thing is nice, but generally I dont think 2 zealots and stalkers are worth the 50 solarite it costs to setup. Its nice for an opening move at the start of a mission to get the first units out fast, but otherwise? meh. I would rather melt bases (and faces) with solar beam. Good job on holding the line. To me the worst section is the back with the flying hybrids and the zerg guardians bombarding from long range. I found the best solution is to wall off the area leaving the ground open at the edge with a decent squadron of dragoons able to run forward to get into range and attack the zerg that can hit your turrets from outside their own range.