New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Potential Alternate Patrons for the Goblins?

I've long wondered how the goblinoids could be helped regarding their deific situation. Yeah, they were created by Fenrir/Fenris, but we saw he doesn't care and jury is still out on Big Purple. As such, I began wondering if any of the other gods could've taken them in. Course, that requires narrowing it down.

I suspect it'd be mainly the Northern Pantheon could take the goblins in as worshippers since that's the most interaction we've seen, plus it's where their creator resides. Also, it prevents the possibility of risking another Snarl as a result of inter-pantheonic disagreements.

Okay, so who in the Northern Pantheon could take them? Honestly, it'd likely have to be Neutral deities I suspect. While I could see some of the Good deities doing so, I do not know if that would go well with Fenrir or some of the other Good gods.

There's also the question on whether it'd be all the goblinoids or if the three (goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears) each get their own patron deity. I don't know if it would lead to much conflict, especially given they'd be in the same pantheon and if they're all with Neutral deities, not involved in the affairs of the Good and Evil, so it seemed like it'd be the choice that could be best argued. As for which ones... well, I wasn't sure where to check for which gods are available in D&D so I went with 5e's list regarding alignments. Here they are

Hobgoblins: Given how Redcloak talked about them early on, they'd likely serve well under a Lawful Neutral deity. Only one would be Tyr, God of Strategy and Courage. Now, that might be odd given his comment against the Dark One though then again maybe he would take them in to spite him. That and well, he had apparently some sort of bond with Fenris / Fenrir so it could be applied here.

Bugbears: From what we see of Oona, Chaotic Neutral may best fit them in terms of an alignment and a deity to look over them. And also, perhaps it was more of Oona's influence, but I would propose Uller, God of hunting and winter. I mean, from what we saw of the Bugbears who make a life for themselves out in the cold.

Goblins: Guess that leaves the normal goblins like Redcloak and Righteye, leaving True Neutral as the alignment perhaps for the deity overseeing them. Righteye himself actually gave me an idea for it given him being True Neutral though which one was a bit hard to say. Although, given how they are, I came up with an interesting choice. Forseti, god of justice and law. It does reflect on how Redcloak is supposedly seeking justice and also Righteye's nuanced views and development, plus it would enable to go across various aspects.

What do ya'll think of this train of thought thing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Potential Alternate Patrons for the Goblins?

I think it'd be better integration-wie if the goblins didn't have a single ethnic deity but had followers of every god, like the humans do.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Potential Alternate Patrons for the Goblins?

Is the question being asked backward?

So far as I can tell, the gods have not been offered goblin worship. It appears to me that Fenris created them as everyone's enemy then got bored and abandoned them. Realizing they were on their own, the goblins as a culture chose 'none of the above' from the list of potential patrons and eventually chose to elevate a leader who exemplified the qualities to which they aspire.

This is not a case of the northern pantheon abandoning them, except for Fenrir, but of goblins rejecting them.