New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: EU IV speed

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default EU IV speed

EU2 won't run reliably on my PC any more for some reason (lots of crashes). I picked up EU 4 a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty disappointed. It has the same ugly (dark) graphics and small print as CK2, and it runs very slowly.

I used to be able to fly through a small-country/peaceful playthrough in a day on EU2. No matter what, EU 4 won't run more than 1-2 days per second, so each year is 3-6 minutes. If I'm at peace and accumulating resources, I don't really need to take an hour to get through a single stinking decade.

Is there a way to get it to run at an acceptable speed, or did I waste my money?
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EU IV speed

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    EU2 won't run reliably on my PC any more for some reason (lots of crashes). I picked up EU 4 a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty disappointed. It has the same ugly (dark) graphics and small print as CK2, and it runs very slowly.

I used to be able to fly through a small-country/peaceful playthrough in a day on EU2. No matter what, EU 4 won't run more than 1-2 days per second, so each year is 3-6 minutes. If I'm at peace and accumulating resources, I don't really need to take an hour to get through a single stinking decade.

Is there a way to get it to run at an acceptable speed, or did I waste my money?
    *blink blink* That's about as fast as I want to play EU4, of course that was the one I played first. Though I never want to spend a decade doing nothing but accumulating (probably because I play bigger nations).

As an answer to your question, no that's about as fast as EU4 goes.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the boys wanted me to start a new game today. I think I got through about 30 years in close to an hour as the Wichita Indian tribe. Kinda boring since it's so hard to annex non-adjacent territories or get colonists.
    Campaign Logs:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, the boys wanted me to start a new game today. I think I got through about 30 years in close to an hour as the Wichita Indian tribe. Kinda boring since it's so hard to annex non-adjacent territories or get colonists.
    Yeah, the native American tags have had...pacing issues...for pretty much forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if switching to a prior version would help, iirc they put in a feature for that. There are times when the current euiv version has run-speed issues. It should normally run quite a bit faster than that.

edit: I asked a few people I know. It's a known flaw in the current version. hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2021-09-09 at 02:41 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I started a new game as Madagascar and it's going better... except somehow, and I don't know how, I've been locked out of viewing the individual province statistics. I think it may have happened after I got some notification about being able to make "states", whatever those are (no explanation provided or tooltip in game). I said no because the states included territories owned by an ally, and I didn't want to accidentally create a vassal when I'm trying to own the whole island.

When I click on a province, all I get is this stupid menu. The mostly-hidden X at the top closes it, but clicking a province just brings it back.
    How do I get rid of this view and get back my province view?

Thank you!
    Campaign Logs:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I started a new game as Madagascar and it's going better... except somehow, and I don't know how, I've been locked out of viewing the individual province statistics. I think it may have happened after I got some notification about being able to make "states", whatever those are (no explanation provided or tooltip in game). I said no because the states included territories owned by an ally, and I didn't want to accidentally create a vassal when I'm trying to own the whole island.

When I click on a province, all I get is this stupid menu. The mostly-hidden X at the top closes it, but clicking a province just brings it back.

[image removed]

Thank you!
    You can switch between the normal province display and the state display by pressing 's'.

And states represent land that's fully integrated into your nation, as opposed to territories, which are only loosely controlled and provide far less income and manpower. In general, you want to create as many states as you can afford - having some land in an area you've made into a state owned by an ally doesn't have any effect on your relationship with them, and there's no connection between making states and making vassals.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you!!
    Campaign Logs:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Thank you!!
    Also, no disadvantage to making a state that includes territory owned by someone else, the newly created state will only include your land.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you!
    Normally you should have tabs visible to switch between the province view and the state view. They're obscured by the top bar in your screenshot. There's a setting called GUI Scaling, I believe in the Video settings, if you mess around with that it might help.
    ithilanor on Steam.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I had to change the GUI scaling to make the game readable. They use an incredibly small font. I had to do the same with Factorio. I'm only 38, it's not like I'm old-old, but apparently my eyes still aren't as good as those used by UI designers.
    Campaign Logs:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I confirmed that the UI scaling is under Game Settings -> Video -> GUI Scale (TEST):
    Spoiler: Large Image
    Show

For reference, this is what the UI looks like for me at 1920x1080 resolution and 100% UI scale, with the tabs for switching between province and state highlighted:
    Spoiler: Large Images
    Show

ithilanor on Steam.