New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1243 - The Discussion Thread

Oh, and in 3.5e beholders, uh, reproduce through the only hole in their head they have. Yeah, that one. Also they kill the ones that they deem too different from themselves.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    9.9 From the Swedish judge
    9.8 from the Russian judge.
    10.0 from the Brazilian judge.
    9.9 from the French judge too.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Either Sunny uses his eye - which pretty much takes away all of Serini's magic items, her invisibility as well leaving her alone again an entire party - all of which are capable fighters
    And incidently, it will also undo most of the debuffs the Order is suffering of. A

Regardless I'll assume this option is off the table since it's kind of clear Bloodfeast isn't getting involved (and Belkar will shove him as soon as the anti magic is back)
    I wonder about this. Right now, the AMF is not on the Order, but if Sunny does try to AMF them again, then Bloodfeast is turning back to full allosaurus.
    This also means that Elan and Minrah are probably getting V and Roy back up by now.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I think the Giant would disapprove of someone being considered less moral just because they're of a "monstrous" race.
    Well, the 3.5 material does describe the beholders as monstrous in their thinking. They are almost literally hardwired to be mad, hateful and paranoid.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Well, the 3.5 material does describe the beholders as monstrous in their thinking. They are almost literally hardwired to be mad, hateful and paranoid.
    And Rich absolutely loathes that the devs make any species innately evil. Personally I'd say actually giving enough justification and elaboration makes it less problematic, but as a whole I'm inclined to agree with him.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

And Rich absolutely loathes that the devs make any species innately evil. Personally I'd say actually giving enough justification and elaboration makes it less problematic, but as a whole I'm inclined to agree with him.
    I'm 100% with you on everything you said there.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think Rich is also willing to have certain creatures be innately evil: all of the sentient undead we've seen have been monstrous and even the good Vampire Durkon suggested his change of heart was only temporary.
    It just gets uncomfortable when the creatures are just humans with different features and identical jerk personalities.

6. - Top - End - #96

I love the implication that Haley has a magic dye job. I know it’s just a representation of the AMF but it’s still funny.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

But an anti-magic cone ambush like that was so unfair that there really wasn't a way to get out of it without something completely separate from the mechanics like that
    Do you feel that way about Xykon, too? He's WAY too high a level to be an appropriate encounter for the Order.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    I think Rich is also willing to have certain creatures be innately evil: all of the sentient undead we've seen have been monstrous and even the good Vampire Durkon suggested his change of heart was only temporary.
    It just gets uncomfortable when the creatures are just humans with different features and identical jerk personalities.
    It appears Rich is willing to make concessions with outsiders(literally made of X alignment) and undead(literally powered by negative energy) in the context of OoTS at the least, but beholders are neither. Granted, "canon" beholders are also wired to be pretty cuckoo by human standards, but I think Rich has a similar philosophy when it comes to sentients as Keith Baker, creator of Eberron. Keith has a blog and he says stuff like an aberration is probably going to have a hard time being Good even if raised away from their abusive masters and kin and be fundamentally different, but at the same time it'd be possible to achieve non-Evilness.

Also yes, it's particularly oof when the creatures are basically funny-looking humans.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Do you feel that way about Xykon, too? He's WAY too high a level to be an appropriate encounter for the Order.
    I'll be honest, I'm expecting Roy to Bull Rush him through the Rift and then he gets eaten by the Snarl.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-09-07 at 02:01 PM.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

It appears Rich is willing to make concessions with outsiders(literally made of X alignment) and undead(literally powered by negative energy) in the context of OoTS at the least
    Even undead have been portrayed with nuance by The Giant.

In Good Deeds Gone Unpunished:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Katos meet a friendly ghost, try and find a role for her in their settlement - and then introduce Hinjo to her.

Hinjo makes it clear that, to him, ghosts and the living are morally similar - living creatures are souls with bodies, ghosts are souls without bodies.

And he treats her as very much a person - which means that, if she's doing a job, she must get paid.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-09-07 at 02:09 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #100

So, it is entirely plausible that in one or two pages the Order will realize who they are up against. After all, if Sunny looks at Haley and Serini with zir central eye, goodbye invisibility. And if Sunny doesn't use zir central eye, ze cannot see Serini, and cannot break Serini's fall. I do not see Sunny letting "Mom" be hurt, altho Serini might have indoctrinated Sunny to not worry about falls.
    Granted that the Order doesn't know what Serini looks like, she is indisputably an old female halfling involved with the gates .

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Even undead have been portrayed with nuance by The Giant.

In Good Deeds Gone Unpunished:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Katos meet a friendly ghost, try and find a role for her in their settlement - and then introduce Hinjo to her.

Hinjo makes it clear that, to him, ghosts and the living are morally similar - living creatures are souls with bodies, ghosts are souls without bodies.

And he treats her as very much a person - which means that, if she's doing a job, she must get paid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, ghosts are one of the few exceptions to the default "undead are Evil" thing. Also taunting haunts, but that's all I can remember at the moment.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #102

HalflingWizardGirl

Oh, yeah! That was amazing! Go Haley, go Haley! *waves pom-poms*

Also, the conversation about petrification between Sunny and Serini was a little disturbing, especially as I’m struggling to tell how comedic Sunny’s bold-italic response to “we have glue at home” is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be like a whiney kid’s “Mo-om!” or more like an adult telling their mother “Mom.”?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    So, it is entirely plausible that in one or two pages the Order will realize who they are up against. After all, if Sunny looks at Haley and Serini with zir central eye, goodbye invisibility. And if Sunny doesn't use zir central eye, ze cannot see Serini, and cannot break Serini's fall. I do not see Sunny letting "Mom" be hurt, altho Serini might have indoctrinated Sunny to not worry about falls.
    Granted that the Order doesn't know what Serini looks like, she is indisputably an old female halfling involved with the gates .
    I mean there aren't many other candidates so I wouldn't be too shocked if at least one member of the Order'd guessed who Serini is.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

YOU JUST GOT OUTROGUED, LADY!
    In the case of Beholders, I think the implication is less "they're all born evil" and more "the ones that aren't born evil are killed by their parents as weaklings before reaching adulthood", but fair.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2021-09-07 at 02:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

These explanations pretty much never hold up to scrutiny, though. Then again, what does in fantasy? And also raise the question of why your story needs your universe to be prejudiced.
    Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    all of the sentient undead we've seen have been monstrous.
    Behold, the most terrible monster the Order of the Stick ever faced!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, yes!
    Uncanny Dodgeball.
    I've seen the YouTube videos.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Aah, I wasn't sure why her magical dagger helped her to climb walls, but now I get it.
    Yeh. Adamantine isn't magic, it just lets you cut through anything not 20 hardness as if it had zero hardness. Adamantine weapons are awesome utility tools. Climbing, "lockpicking" by cutting the lock in half, using your "Craft Sculpture" skill on random rocks in downtime tc.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obscuraphile View Post
    I love the implication that Haley has a magic dye job. I know it’s just a representation of the AMF but it’s still funny.
    What do you mean by the implication?
    It is an established convention in this comic that an antimagic field makes everything extremely desaturated.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    These explanations pretty much never hold up to scrutiny, though. Then again, what does in fantasy? And also raise the question of why your story needs your universe to be prejudiced.
    I did say less problematic.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Glorious. A truly enjoyable kick.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And the number of extra d6s an Epic Rogue gets for a sneak attack requires Serini to have her own dice factory. At 19th level it's +10d6, so maybe +12d6 or +14d6. For each of three attacks per round. 12d6 averages 42, plus the normal weapon damage (d6 + magic bonus for a short sword plus a whole big batch of adds from epic dexterity - call it another 20 points per hit). If Serini can hit 3 times, 180 points of damage in a single round is NOT out of the question.
    Except that Serini can't sneak attack Haley. Haley has uncanny dodge, so she retains her Dexterity bonus when attacked by an invisible creature and thus isn't vulnerable to sneak attacks.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Except that Serini can't sneak attack Haley. Haley has uncanny dodge, so she retains her Dexterity bonus when attacked by an invisible creature and thus isn't vulnerable to sneak attacks.
    Yes, but she is easily capable of deleting one member of the Order so hard even Resurrection might not work unless she blows a roll or two.

No, I do not expect her to actually do that.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I had forgotten that, even though she excels at Uncanny Dodgeball . The only way she can be sneak attacked is if Sunny comes down and flanks her, and Serini is 4+ levels higher. The latter is likely, the former puts Sunny at extreme risk - which they may accept to save Mom.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    And if Sunny doesn't use zir central eye, ze cannot see Serini, and cannot break Serini's fall.
    Setting up an "I've fallen and I can't get up" joke if Haley has her grappled ...
    Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    “we have glue at home”
    Serini is an epic level adventurer. She's been up to her waist in blood and gore before, over the course of her adventures and battles with the Scribblers. Sunny hasn't the benefit of that experience and is thus trying real hard to stick to the plan Serini had laid out, to include its constraints. Serini is all about the win, and she's the mission leader ...
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    In the case of Beholders, I think the implication is less "they're all born evil" and more "the ones that aren't born evil are killed by their parents as weaklings before reaching adulthood", but fair.
    Yeah, that lore seems to fit the later editions of D&D well enough, but lore need not be considered to be binding.
    The game's lore is a seed for the imagination, not a hard and fast rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Adamantine isn't magic, it just lets you cut through anything not 20 hardness as if it had zero hardness. Adamantine weapons are awesome utility tools. Climbing, "lockpicking" by cutting the lock in half, using your "Craft Sculpture" skill on random rocks in downtime tc.
    Sweet. I wonder if my 5e DM will concur with that theme; one of our PCs has adamantine half plate, so the chance that I might get an adamantine dagger is greater than 0 even if it isn't super high.
    And our party is in and about a really big dwarf colony just now.
    What shall I trade for an adamantine dagger if there's one available? Hmmmmmm...need to talk to my DM.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-09-07 at 02:58 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sunny is so adorable in this comic, between their comment about limbs and the arguing with "Mom". I hope that Sunny will be sticking around for a good chunk of this book. I'm also excited to see the Rogue vs. Rogue action that will be present in the next strip!

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Serini is an epic level adventurer. She's been up to her waist in blood and gore before, over the course of her adventures and battles with the Scribblers. Sunny hasn't the benefit of that experience and is thus trying real hard to stick to the plan Serini had laid out, to include its constraints. Serini is all about the win, and she's the mission leader ...
    Maybe the starting assumption should be that the person who objects to actions that would kill people just doesn't want to kill people?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Though to be fair, Sunny appears to have been adopted relatively early in life.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    Also, the conversation about petrification between Sunny and Serini was a little disturbing, especially as I’m struggling to tell how comedic Sunny’s bold-italic response to “we have glue at home” is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be like a whiney kid’s “Mo-om!” or more like an adult telling their mother “Mom.”?
    Putting the pieces of a broken petrified person back is enough for them to be whole when de-petrified.

My impression is this is sort of like the "Cleric's feather fall": not a big deal to a seasoned adventurer, although a big deal to "normal" people.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also they kill the ones that they deem too different from themselves.
    They're not evil - they're just pathological narcissists!

If nothing else, it keeps them in small-solitary encounters. Beholders are stupid powerful enough as it is with just one of them (this comic being exhibit a).

That said, I do prefer the 3.5 interpretations, if only because I like to keep my Far Realm influences kept as much on the periphery as possible. Beholders are pretty bombastic, and Lovecraft-based horror is more vulnerable to the effects of exposure than most other forms.
    I like to art!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Scottzg View Post
    The only thing that irked me was that sunny used the most effective spell for each party member.
    That could be carefully prepared in advance as part of the plan. But it confirms that Serini has been watching the Order quite a bit more that we expected, if she can be so effective with the planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Haylee is awesome.
    Unarmed Strikes: They're not just for monks anymore!
    Amen there!