New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1243 - The Discussion Thread

So Haley's little maneuver reminds me of something I pulled off in a D&D campaign a decade back. Where my Lizardman fighter leapt off the top of a tower to grapple a beholder. Now the combined weight of himself and his armor exceeded the beholders maximum load.
    So we slowly float down screaming in agony like a balloon with just a little to much weight. The Beholder because I have it by two stalks. And myself because I was getting blast in the face.

Later he prepared float roast.(he cooked and ate the beholder)
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a particular reason that Haley was able to kick Serini but Serini couldn't shoot Haley? Is there a mechanical explanation or just "Haley rolled better?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    The definitive guide to character inteeligence:
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html
    hmm, you know, that beholder a few comics after the one you linked looks exactly like sunny. same eye colour and everything. wonder if thats intentional

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TuringTest View Post
    "Hands and feet are so overpowered!" envy got me a literal laughing out loud, and I don't get many of those.
    Is Sunny wrong?
    No, they aren't.

But it's a great line, yes.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TriForce View Post
    hmm, you know, that beholder a few comics after the one you linked looks exactly like sunny. same eye colour and everything. wonder if thats intentional
    I believe the Giant has said one of the orange/green voices that captured O-Chul and Lein was a recurring character who had appeared in exactly one prior page. Serini's been in multiple, so that leaves Sunny.

Intentional, or an excellent case of "fake it until you make it" or "feign it until they ordain it."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

When a beholder have to talk you out of performing a morally questionable action, maybe it´s time to reconsider your alignment.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    When a beholder have to talk you out of performing a morally questionable action, maybe it´s time to reconsider your alignment.
    Eye Tyrant is pretty clearly not evil, so I doubt that assertion.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

So here's a thought.

I'm assuming, the effects of the center eye last an entire round, even though Haley has left the area of effect. So whatever movement she has done, going up ~ 30 feet under fly, then doing a trapeze act off her bow and kicking Serini, she no longer has Fly for this round?

So she could regain Fly in mid fall, when she uses up her movement?

There's precedent:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Is there a particular reason that Haley was able to kick Serini but Serini couldn't shoot Haley? Is there a mechanical explanation or just "Haley rolled better?"
    She did shoot Haley. In panel 5.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #130

Planetar

Presumably yes, dice luck. With uncanny dodge, Haley is the one member of the OOTS who's not flat-footed against Serini's attacks from invisibility, which means Serini needs a higher dice roll to hit Haley than any other member.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

I see that less as an unarmed attack and more as a bull rush (as part of a charge) that pushed Serini off Sunny's back. Serini didn't get an attack of opportunity because she didn't have a melee weapon out. And Sunny didn't make one (with a bite) because there would have been a 25% chance to hit Serini.

Between a +2 for charging, a halfling's -2 penalty to Strength (plus a possible penalty for old age), and a -4 size penalty, Haley was pretty much assured to win the opposed Strength check.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler View Post
    It does not reflect well on Serini when a literal monster is less monstrous than her...
    I'm surprised that no one else pointed this out, but Serini is also a literal monster. Halflings are right there in the Monster Manual, just between half-fiends and harpies

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So, can Sunny's telekinesis catch them both? Because if they are high enough for stone to shatter on impact...
    ... then they are at least as high as a pedestal, according to this article.

Stone is stronger than flesh, but far more brittle.

14. - Top - End - #134

RedWizardGuy

So, can Sunny's telekinesis catch them both? Because if they are high enough for stone to shatter on impact...
    It is only a DC 30 tumble check to ignore 20 feet of fall damage. As an epic level rogue, she can probably make this in her sleep. She probably can make a DC 45 to ignore 30 feet of fall damage, but obviously I'm less certain on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler View Post
    It does not reflect well on Serini when a literal monster is less monstrous than her...
    In 1241 Serini wanted the beholderish creature to "hit 'em with everything you got." It was the creature who said, "but not #8, right?" at which Serini said "fine..."

So it isn't anything new that Serini doesn't especially care if they die.
    Last edited by Gusion; 2021-09-07 at 07:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    The loyalty that Sunny shows Serini is an important quality in an ally.

So is thinking on your feet. He needs to work on that.
    Well you know, Beholder...

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarakDeathBlade View Post
    I believe the Giant has said one of the orange/green voices that captured O-Chul and Lein was a recurring character who had appeared in exactly one prior page. Serini's been in multiple, so that leaves Sunny.
    Not quite. The Giant said, as a teaser in the previous book, that some time in this book we'd re-encounter a character who had appeared in exactly one page so far. A few people guessed -- even though it made zero sense -- that it would be either the green or orange voice, with 1189 as their one appearance. Now that Sunny's appeared, it's very likely that Sunny is the one-appearance character and previously appeared in 32, but we still don't know for certain.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

THIS is why I love Haley! Brilliant use of an open feint going to the bow: Sunny thinks she's going to use it as a weapon, so she holds tighter...which is exactly what Haley wants her to do.

I already use her to explain shell games, and this works for one of the 36 Stratagems. I betcha we could find examples of the other 35, too.

Okay, now I've got a project.

18. - Top - End - #138

Kobold

I hope this "heroes fighting heroes" trope is finally concluded.

19. - Top - End - #139

One of my dislikes in every fantasy movie, game, etc are the matrix knock-off characters with high damage bursts, missile attacks that never miss, or dodges that make them impossible to hit. It was kind of neat 20 years ago, but not anymore.
    I realize everything happens to further the plot, and in a couple of strips I won’t care, but Haley pulling the combo of Spider-Man and Neo against an epic rogue focused entirely on her just doesn’t work for me.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    One of my dislikes in every fantasy movie, game, etc are the matrix knock-off characters with high damage bursts, missile attacks that never miss, or dodges that make them impossible to hit. It was kind of neat 20 years ago, but not anymore.
    I realize everything happens to further the plot, and in a couple of strips I won’t care, but Haley pulling the combo of Spider-Man and Neo against an epic rogue focused entirely on her just doesn’t work for me.
    I understand what you mean, but I still find it more entertaining than the trope where something's just tough enough to "nope" everything via facetanking.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #141

BardGuy

Also, it's not like Haley has been #nbd (no big deal) dodging Serini's attacks. Except perhaps the last one, in which all her time spent with Elan allowed her to pun-dodge.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

This was awesome. All of it. The fight is not done, but I like this new revelation.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Okay, but...how high level is Haley? The Order has to be in their late teens, right? In order for Haley's Uncanny Dodge to work, Sereni can't be more than 5 levels higher.

And it's not like Sereni doesn't have anything putting her at a disadvantage here. Sunny's distracting her in multiple ways, and she's clearly not had this big a challenge in a while.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Dear Giant,

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this page, along with many many others; but this one in particular had great pacing, action and comedy, not to mention a fantastic punch-line. Also, rogue family picnics sound fun!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bt109 View Post
    Okay, but...how high level is Haley? The Order has to be in their late teens, right? In order for Haley's Uncanny Dodge to work, Sereni can't be more than 5 levels higher.

And it's not like Sereni doesn't have anything putting her at a disadvantage here. Sunny's distracting her in multiple ways, and she's clearly not had this big a challenge in a while.
    It's only Improved Uncanny Dodge, which has to do with flanking, that counts the relevant class levels. Serini could literally have hundreds of levels and technically normal Uncanny Dodge would work just fine.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Even undead have been portrayed with nuance by The Giant.

In Good Deeds Gone Unpunished:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Katos meet a friendly ghost, try and find a role for her in their settlement - and then introduce Hinjo to her.

Hinjo makes it clear that, to him, ghosts and the living are morally similar - living creatures are souls with bodies, ghosts are souls without bodies.

And he treats her as very much a person - which means that, if she's doing a job, she must get paid.
    Ghosts are a special case though, even D&D does not make them always evil. They are more disembodied tragic soul than negative energy (as compared to say, shadows and wraiths.) In other words, ghosts do not have to conform to any author's general stance on undead, whether that author is Rich or the D&D/PF devs themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

She did shoot Haley. In panel 5.
    And in panel 6, we see she missed.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    ... then they are at least as high as a pedestal, according to this article.

Stone is stronger than flesh, but far more brittle.
    It should still be higher than an absurdly high air sigil.

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    Also, it's not like Haley has been #nbd (no big deal) dodging Serini's attacks. Except perhaps the last one, in which all her time spent with Elan allowed her to pun-dodge.
    Now I like that dodge even more!

29. - Top - End - #149

When you get to a high enough level turning to a stone statue give you less hitpoints.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Once I was carrying a small stone tabletop. I tripped and fell down, dropping the tabletop. I was uninjured, but the tabletop split in half.
    It's easier to cut flesh than stone, but stone is far more breakable than flesh.