Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Haley Teaches the 36 Stratagems (Ongoing Project)

Quote Originally Posted by bt109 View Post
    I'm confused; Haley isn't even in that strip.
    I'm also confused, because that is not the strip I linked. I'm guessing my phone "corrected" the URL once again. The strip I was trying to reference was this one.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I'm also confused, because that is not the strip I linked. I'm guessing my phone "corrected" the URL once again. The strip I was trying to reference was this one.
    Ah, I wondered if that was the one! It's tempting to call that for #9, but it's really not the best example. While she briefly suggests that the Azurites could stay and fight without them, her behavior before and after indicates that she preferred to remain their ally. #9 best fits a situation where two forces are fighting, and one or both invite her to be their ally, but she declines or delays to see who gets the upper hand. "You fellows have at each other, I'm sitting this out for now."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alright, I think I caught everyone's suggestions, and there's links to everything. Lots of these are open to discussion, so feel free to comment if you see anything you disagree with.

Anyone have any favorite dirty tricks to offer up for sorting?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

8) Cut a mountain path, but take the secret passage
    Did she ever make it look like she was doing something the hard way, so the enemy would let their guard down?
    I'm sure the hobgoblins thought running away would be easier for her, especially right before that tower came down.

9) Watch fires burning across the river
    Did she ever conserve her strength by withholding help to someone? Watch two parties fight while helping neither?
    Yes, and she had to play it cool too, to avoid Tarquin from catching on.

10) Hide a dagger behind a smile
    So, my understanding is that the true meaning behind this stratagem is "charm your opponent while plotting behind their back in secret". If true, then this is again basically any scene that involved Haley being in the same room with Tarquin.

She's civil enough during a moment like this, while she's more than happy to secretly undermine her enemy the very next day...

13) Stomp the grass to scare the snake
    Do something unusual, strange, and unexpected to arouse the enemy's suspicion and disrupt their thinking.
    How about telling your hated enemy that you're going to miss something about them out of the blue? Pique their curiosity so much that they unwittingly follow you to their certain doom.

16) In order to capture, one must let loose
    To prevent the enemy from making a final desperate attack, let them believe they still have a chance for freedom, and their will to fight is hampered by their desire to escape.
    Okay, so, hear me out...

What if acting like she was allowing the chimera to escape was part of an elaborate ruse?

17) Tossing out a brick to get a jade gem
    This is where you bait someone by making them believe they gain something valuable ("toss out a brick") to obtain something valuable from them in return ("get a jade gem").
    Deliberately without going into great detail about what the "brick" here is, the "jade gem" I'd argue is her freedom.

19) Remove the firewood from under the pot
    Take out the leading argument or asset of someone; "steal someone's thunder". This is the essence of the indirect approach: instead of attacking enemy's fighting forces, direct attacks against their ability to wage war. Literally, take the fuel out of the fire.
    For example, when your enemy is trying to kill you and your friends using the power of deception, rob them of the ability to deceive you.

22) Shut the door to catch the thief
    Cut off your enemy's routes of escape or reinforcement.
    Which she does here, by tasking the party's sadistic murderer with killing any remaining enemies that managed to escape her and the wizard.

23) Befriend a distant state while attacking a neighbor
    Nations separated by distance and obstacles make good allies.
    Well, she certainly TRIED to pit two rebelling nations against the oppressive ruling one on multiple occasions...

24) Obtain safe passage
    Use borrowed resources against the one that lent you them.
    Just asking for a friend: under a typical Rogue's code of conduct, this counts as "borrowing", right?

27) Feign madness but keep your balance
    Hide behind a mask of foolishness to create confusion.
    This again.

31) The honey trap
    Send your enemy beautiful gifts to cause discord within his camp.
    Not really sure if it was her plan to begin with, or if it even matters, since she was still part of this...
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2021-09-21 at 08:15 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.