New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Matrix 4 / The Matrix Resurrections

Hugo Weaving isn't returning due to scheduling conflicts, so it's unlikely we will see Smith again unless they recast the role - which seems pointless considering the redundancy of Agents.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The machines took his body in the end, no need to retcon anything really.
    Confirmed 13 seconds into the trailer, if you watch it in slow motion.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I was expecting a Smith to pop up in the trailer. It would be better for them to not bring Smith back, as that storyline is 100% finished, but he's as iconic as Neo... so they probably will.
    If Smith does, it won't be with Hugo Weaving playing him, cause apparently there's a scheduling conflict.

All said, I do find it interesting and I think a lot could be one with an 'update' to the Matrix forumla. Not how the term is usually applied today but as people have pointed out the Matrix movies were very much rooted in the 90s in tone, aesthetic, and themes. What they shouldn't do is just take that story and paint on a 10's/20's coat of paint, all that will do is date this movie hard and feel inauthentic in my opinion. But if they go for the same story but with a 10's/20's tone, aesthetic, and themes (not just superficially) then it could be on to something. An I think you do see hints of that in Neo desperately taking the blue pills to suppress his memories of what came before, the feeling like he's going crazy with Dr. NPH, the elevator shot that gave the look of people in boxes staring at screens stacked on top of one another, and his re-connection with Trinity (who is full of matrix coding) are promising signs of exactly that. It makes me want to pay attention to future trailers, for sure.

Where it does miss the mark for me is, like someone else pointed out, that this doesn't feel like a Matrix movie. Remove Keanu Reeves and this could just be any other super hero movie these days. From the like of the green filter, to no real unified aesthetic, its missing something...Matrix about it. At least from the trailer that is and again, you kind of see it with everything with NPH being in a blue filter (even the psychiatrist's blue lenses) that do hint that such a thing will be happening and its just not in THIS trailer.

So its done a good job of at least making me want to see the next trailer, that's for sure! And I do like Reeves and the director's movies in general, so there is some trust there that this won't be a poorly thought out reboot for sure.

Red Pills - I honestly expect it not to be touched on at all in the context it currently is used. As much as the director may dislike it, that's what passing into the greater cultural wilds will do. If anything, I just expect a firm emphasis on the movie's version of it because if it does go int how its currently used then 1) Again, it'll date this movie like crazy and 2) especially if the director does hate its current use and takes this chance to 'diss' its use and the people using it this way, all its going to do is drive off potential customers and probably come off as really cringe-y and far less than subtle. Best to just use it in the Matrix context.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    2) especially if the director does hate its current use and takes this chance to 'diss' its use and the people using it this way, all its going to do is drive off potential customers and probably come off as really cringe-y and far less than subtle. Best to just use it in the Matrix context.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anyone who is upset by that is not a potential customer for a movie made by a transwoman anyway...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anyone who is upset by that is not a potential customer for a movie made by a transwoman anyway...
    I'm going to go further out on a limb and say you are wrong.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I still don't understand why they're doing it as a sequel, other than "Keanu Reeves is popular again, lets stick him in stuff". I object to most remakes, but the Matrix Trilogy is deeply flawed. As good as the original is, it could really benefit from modern CGI and a few plot tweaks that fix bad ideas (human batteries) and properly set up the future films. The sequels could use a full re-write from top to bottom to make the plot better.

Just do a Matrix reboot. Start in the same place and go a different direction with the story. Outside of the first movie you aren't stepping on anyone's sacred cow, and tying yourself to the mess that is the sequels is a bad idea.

Definitely waiting for reviews on this one. The odds of failure are too great, even with Reeves.
    Keanu's star power is exactly the reason to do this as a sequel instead of a reboot. They can always reboot it later with younger actors if this flops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Given Lana's hatred of how people have chosen to interpret her work, I am curious if any messages will be tucked into this sequel.
    "Will the movie have a message" seems like a safe bet to me, especially a movie as based in philosophy as this one was
    (Granted, that philosophy was Baudrillard, so "will the message be good this time" probably is worth asking.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Red Pills - I honestly expect it not to be touched on at all in the context it currently is used. As much as the director may dislike it, that's what passing into the greater cultural wilds will do. If anything, I just expect a firm emphasis on the movie's version of it because if it does go int how its currently used then 1) Again, it'll date this movie like crazy and 2) especially if the director does hate its current use and takes this chance to 'diss' its use and the people using it this way, all its going to do is drive off potential customers and probably come off as really cringe-y and far less than subtle. Best to just use it in the Matrix context.
    Why is driving off potential customers a bad side? Must everything be sacrificed on the alter of the almighty dollar? If so then Smith is the real victor for he is inevitable.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

From the like of the green filter, to no real unified aesthetic, its missing something...Matrix about it.
    We might have Sati to blame for the lack of green filter.

If you don't remember her, Sati was a program who looked like a little Indian girl. She was created by two other programs as an expression of their mutual love, but she had no purpose within the machine hivemind and would soon be deleted. Her parents arranged for her to flee into the Matrix, which was already home to a number of rogue programs.

At one point, she gets turned into a Smith. But like her friends the Oracle and Seraph, she eventually reverts to her normal self. And what she does then is... she creates a sunrise.

Spoiler
    Show

She says it is for Neo, and asks if they will see him again. Cute, eh? And noticeably more colorful than other shots within the Matrix.

So what if Lana Wachowsky now considers that, yup, Sati fixed the lighting in the Matrix? The code is still green, but that no longer leaks into the rendering.
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2021-09-09 at 04:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Hugo Weaving isn't returning due to scheduling conflicts, so it's unlikely we will see Smith again unless they recast the role - which seems pointless considering the redundancy of Agents.
    But, that's the core of Smith's character. Despite being made to literally be a faceless, identity-less enforcer of the system he is not interchangeable with the other agents.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    We might have Sati to blame for the lack of green filter.

If you don't remember her, Sati was a program who looked like a little Indian girl. She was created by two other programs as an expression of their mutual love, but she had no purpose within the machine hivemind and would soon be deleted. Her parents arranged for her to flee into the Matrix, which was already home to a number of rogue programs.

At one point, she gets turned into a Smith. But like her friends the Oracle and Seraph, she eventually reverts to her normal self. And what she does then is... she creates a sunrise.

Spoiler
    Show

She says it is for Neo, and asks if they will see him again. Cute, eh? And noticeably more colorful than other shots within the Matrix.

So what if Lana Wachowsky now considers that, yup, Sati fixed the lighting in the Matrix? The code is still green, but that no longer leaks into the rendering.
    I like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But, that's the core of Smith's character. Despite being made to literally be a faceless, identity-less enforcer of the system he is not interchangeable with the other agents.
    If this does well enough for a sequel, Smith/Weaving would be a fine draw there. He's not needed here.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Interestingly, the sequels cranked up the interchangeability of the agents.

Just look at agents Brown, Smith and Jones versus agents Jackson, Johnson and Thompson.

Spoiler
    Show

Anyway, Smith was great, but he is the one aspect of the franchise I have had enough of.
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2021-09-09 at 04:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Wochowsky couldn't make a decent sequel 20 years ago, when the Matrix was still fresh, innovative and relevant... I don't think they'll be able to do it in the era of soulless reboots and sequels.

I might end up watching it when it comes out on DVD or something, just because it's The Matrix... But my expectations are incredibly low. I do hope I'm wrong. It's a franchise that has a lot of potential, but has never really been handled well, save for a few good things here and there.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-09-09 at 05:19 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #43

Eh, I'd blame their failure more on the studio executives honestly. Above is like saying "Fox couldn't make a decent movie about Deadpool in 2009, I doubt they can do it in the era of soulless reboots and sequels." Genre fiction has changed a lot since the 'aughts.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Hopefully Lana and the studio are confident enough to really lean into the trans allegory this time. The Wachowskis are on record as saying that was always one of the intentions of the Matrix in the first place. The "red pill" is a hormone replacement estrogen pill. To reveal your True self. So definitely, many of the people using the "red pill" symbolism today have it exactly 180 degrees off from the original intention.

I have hope for this having some possibly profound meaning/symbolism- but given the track record I'm not sure it will be executed in the greatest manner (just like the other sequels). However, I imagine some lessons must have been learned by the film makers given the benefit of much deep analysis of those films by many people and many years of reflection. So I just hope.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Hopefully Lana and the studio are confident enough to really lean into the trans allegory this time. The Wachowskis are on record as saying that was always one of the intentions of the Matrix in the first place. The "red pill" is a hormone replacement estrogen pill. To reveal your True self. So definitely, many of the people using the "red pill" symbolism today have it exactly 180 degrees off from the original intention.

I have hope for this having some possibly profound meaning/symbolism- but given the track record I'm not sure it will be executed in the greatest manner (just like the other sequels). However, I imagine some lessons must have been learned by the film makers given the benefit of much deep analysis of those films by many people and many years of reflection. So I just hope.
    What done is done, but if the red pill is trans and all that. [ something I know for years ]

I feel the Smith fanboys with their politics should use the metaphor Smith used to parallel Neo, it was the metaphor of being unplugged when he gave his former earpiece to Neo before acting like a virus and wanting a more top down authority. Those Smith clones were not literally Smith based off them retaining the memories of who they took over (we see this in Revolutions as an important plot point with Smith, Oracle, and Sati.) Since the clones are not literally Smith we should see it as a political metaphor of individuality being suppressed and a new ideology taking over. A form of “bad faith” as an existential philosophy concept.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Hopefully Lana and the studio are confident enough to really lean into the trans allegory this time. The Wachowskis are on record as saying that was always one of the intentions of the Matrix in the first place. The "red pill" is a hormone replacement estrogen pill. To reveal your True self.
    The original pitch for the character of Switch was that their appearance would be female in the Matrix and male in the real world. I suppose the intended message would have been that the red pill revealed his true self, while the system kept representing "her" wrong. Maybe Lana will get to use that concept on a new character.

Also, there seems to be a new emphasis on mirrors, and Neo himself gets a mismatched reflection. Maybe this old man is the Mister Thomas Anderson that Neo does not like being referred as.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Eh, I'd blame their failure more on the studio executives honestly. Above is like saying "Fox couldn't make a decent movie about Deadpool in 2009, I doubt they can do it in the era of soulless reboots and sequels." Genre fiction has changed a lot since the 'aughts.
    Except this time it's the same directors/writers... And, at least IMO, they haven't really done anything good in the last 20 years... It was basically bad/mediocre stuff that sometimes had good ideas, but the execution/development was subpar

I'm not saying the studio doesn't have its share of blame, but just that the Wochowsky do too.

Then again, I really do hope I'm wrong and this movie turns out to be awesome.
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ever since I've heard this sequel was in the making, my friends and I have been joking that we would rather see John Wick 4, just bring Carrie Ann Moss in.

I'll probably pass this in the theaters. I highly enjoyed The Matrix and the Animatrix, was lukewarm on the second movie and felt frosty and dour after the third.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The original pitch for the character of Switch was that their appearance would be female in the Matrix and male in the real world. I suppose the intended message would have been that the red pill revealed his true self, while the system kept representing "her" wrong. Maybe Lana will get to use that concept on a new character.

Also, there seems to be a new emphasis on mirrors, and Neo himself gets a mismatched reflection. Maybe this old man is the Mister Thomas Anderson that Neo does not like being referred as.
    I think the idea of Switch would be more that she was born male, and therefore the Matrix probably originally had her in a male avatar. Once she escaped and learned the truth, she chooses to have a female avatar whenever she plugs in. As Morpheus tells Neo, what you look like in the construct/Matrix is a digital projection of how you see yourself. And the Matrix can no longer tell them what they should look like, what they really are. I would guess that on the Nebadchanezzar Switch would have been portrayed by an actual trans woman, assuming Zion has the tech to perform the procedures.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Thinking about the Wachowskis and how ambitious they were in 99 / 01 for a multiple media experience. It was already happening in Pokémon with game, tv, movie, card game, etc. But the Wachowskis wanted to do this with live action R adult movies, PS2 games, gruesome anime, MMORPG, etc. Ambitious in ‘01

Yet we see it succeeding in the MCU around ‘11, likewise there were some changes such as making it PG-13 and not R. The Wachowskis and Warner Brothers, they were merely too early and ambitious.

21. - Top - End - #51

It's time to make an admission... I did not like Reloaded or Revolutions when I saw them in theaters. But after rewatching them multiple times over the years, I actually do like them and appreciate the story for what it is (and from what I can grasp of it of course).

Same thing happened with Marvel Civil War. Didn't really like it in theaters, but the more I watch it the more I actually think it is one of the better MCU films.

Is it expectations, or am I gleaning more from it, or am I just reinforcing neural pathways? I don't know. Probably expectations.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    It's time to make an admission... I did not like Reloaded or Revolutions when I saw them in theaters. But after rewatching them multiple times over the years, I actually do like them and appreciate the story for what it is (and from what I can grasp of it of course).

Same thing happened with Marvel Civil War. Didn't really like it in theaters, but the more I watch it the more I actually think it is one of the better MCU films.

Is it expectations, or am I gleaning more from it, or am I just reinforcing neural pathways? I don't know. Probably expectations.
    I'm the same. Disappointed a bit at first, but after reading some very insightful analyses of the films I appreciate them more.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2021-09-09 at 09:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

As a preface, and to avoid me keeping my caster level low for Wall of Text: The Matrix works a lot better as a psychodrama than it does a work of science fiction. It has a dollop of Baudrillard, sure, and likely more philosophy in 2 hours than most people get in their entire lives, but as science fiction goes The Matrix is no more interesting than The 13th Floor or Total Recall (and Total Recall I'd actually argue is superior because of its wonderful final scene which manages to bring back ambiguity about whether Quaid is in the real world or not.)

But when you take the film - and to a lesser extent the whole trilogy - as a reflection on narcissism, it becomes a lot, lot more interesting and unsettling. I recommend you start your reading here before going further with this.

The trailer leads me to hope for (and know that I'm highly unlikely to get) an examination of the fate of the narcissist who doesn't accept reality and ends up hitting old age with all his self-beliefs unrealised. The timing of the trailer's release is interesting. Per Neo's passport from the films, Thomas Anderson's 50th birthday is due shortly - his DOB is 13 September 1971. Said passport also eerily records an expiry date of 11 September 2001, but we'll leave aside.

Why is Neo seeing himself as an old man in the mirror, why does the reflection not represent what the character believes himself to be? Because that's narcissism. Narcissism - the chronic kind at least - is you projecting an image to the world, and responding with denial or rage when the world doesn't reflect that image back to you, when the world doesn't validate the way you see yourself. The mirror is reality, it's Neo's perception of himself as an ageing (but well-built and nigh-immortal) hero that is utterly warped.*

(And that might well be why he's cosplaying John Wick. You really think Reeves said "No movie unless I keep my shoulder-length bangs?" For real? That was intended, there was a reference meant there, unless of course Wachowski lost several million brain cells in the last 20 years or it was just a flat-out marketing ploy to get more eyeballs to the theatre.

After all, there is the demographic to consider. The first audience for this thing is anyone who saw the Matrix films. Assuming they were of legal age at the time the film first came out, that demographic is at least 35+ now. Which is to say, the demographic that also watched anything else Keanu made after growing his hair out post-2005. The second audience is the demographic under the age of 35, for which John Wick is how they remember Reeves, not as Neo. So dressing him like this serves two purposes: it gets everyone who's under the age of 30 in to see the movie … but it also is speaking to every male over the age of 30 who still thinks with about 6 months of training they could be John Wick. Which is to say, every male over the age of 30 who saw a John Wick movie, doubly so if they watched its sequels.

And even better is that if the rumours are true and Reeves does get his hair cut back to look like Neo of the late twentieth century, it'll further support the argument of the film being about narcissism: your current identity isn't working for you, so you resort further and further to identities that do. This film is subtitled Resurrection, but it really should be 'Regeneration', as in, Doctor Who, just take on a new identity as the old one fails you.)

Same deal with Trinity: notice how, in the shot from the trailer, Trinity seems to be in conflict with the skinsuit and/or body she's occupying, and unlike Neo, the body seems to be that of a younger woman? We could make all sorts of political points here, but we won't. (Suffice it to say that Trinity on first look is likely to have pretty much exactly the same disturbing character problem she had in all three of the earlier Matrix films: the reason for her existence is only to love Neo. That's it. Nothing more. I regard the Bechdel test as a pretty useless one, but it's kind of sad that these movies fail it. Unless, of course, you see the Matrix films as being about narcissism, if you see Trinity's interactions with Neo as reflecting the fact that to the narcissist, people only exist as 'types' or exist only in relation to the narcissist, they don't have an independent existence of themselves.)

To sum up, the Matrix shouldn't be a trans allegory or a simulation allegory, it should be an identity/narcissism allegory. Because it works best as that. And it's kind of funny to hear an art creator complain that the audience took the "wrong" message from their film. (a), if you don't want people of the opposite political persuasion to misread your film's intent, maybe don't start by leaning into the idea that conspiracy theories are real down to the Men In Black being literal agents of the System. And (b), it's a bit funny, for a film which examines what's real and what intent is, for the creator to complain about people taking different meanings from it.

* Note there is a suggestion in the trailer that Neo's diet of blue pills isn't working, that he's starting to see his dreams overlaid on reality. Fair enough, your body has become tolerant to the drug you've been giving yourself all this time. But the dirty little secret of the narcissist is that they take the pills to keep the real world from interfering with their dreams ... not the other way round.

24. - Top - End - #54

Hmm maybe Neo will get a shave. Like the old president in the Independence Day sequel.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    As a preface, and to avoid me keeping my caster level low for Wall of Text: The Matrix works a lot better as a psychodrama than it does a work of science fiction. It has a dollop of Baudrillard, sure, and likely more philosophy in 2 hours than most people get in their entire lives, but as science fiction goes The Matrix is no more interesting than The 13th Floor or Total Recall (and Total Recall I'd actually argue is superior because of its wonderful final scene which manages to bring back ambiguity about whether Quaid is in the real world or not.)

But when you take the film - and to a lesser extent the whole trilogy - as a reflection on narcissism, it becomes a lot, lot more interesting and unsettling. I recommend you start your reading here before going further with this.

The trailer leads me to hope for (and know that I'm highly unlikely to get) an examination of the fate of the narcissist who doesn't accept reality and ends up hitting old age with all his self-beliefs unrealised. The timing of the trailer's release is interesting. Per Neo's passport from the films, Thomas Anderson's 50th birthday is due shortly - his DOB is 13 September 1971. Said passport also eerily records an expiry date of 11 September 2001, but we'll leave aside.

Why is Neo seeing himself as an old man in the mirror, why does the reflection not represent what the character believes himself to be? Because that's narcissism. Narcissism - the chronic kind at least - is you projecting an image to the world, and responding with denial or rage when the world doesn't reflect that image back to you, when the world doesn't validate the way you see yourself. The mirror is reality, it's Neo's perception of himself as an ageing (but well-built and nigh-immortal) hero that is utterly warped.*

(And that might well be why he's cosplaying John Wick. You really think Reeves said "No movie unless I keep my shoulder-length bangs?" For real? That was intended, there was a reference meant there, unless of course Wachowski lost several million brain cells in the last 20 years or it was just a flat-out marketing ploy to get more eyeballs to the theatre.

After all, there is the demographic to consider. The first audience for this thing is anyone who saw the Matrix films. Assuming they were of legal age at the time the film first came out, that demographic is at least 35+ now. Which is to say, the demographic that also watched anything else Keanu made after growing his hair out post-2005. The second audience is the demographic under the age of 35, for which John Wick is how they remember Reeves, not as Neo. So dressing him like this serves two purposes: it gets everyone who's under the age of 30 in to see the movie … but it also is speaking to every male over the age of 30 who still thinks with about 6 months of training they could be John Wick. Which is to say, every male over the age of 30 who saw a John Wick movie, doubly so if they watched its sequels.

And even better is that if the rumours are true and Reeves does get his hair cut back to look like Neo of the late twentieth century, it'll further support the argument of the film being about narcissism: your current identity isn't working for you, so you resort further and further to identities that do. This film is subtitled Resurrection, but it really should be 'Regeneration', as in, Doctor Who, just take on a new identity as the old one fails you.)

Same deal with Trinity: notice how, in the shot from the trailer, Trinity seems to be in conflict with the skinsuit and/or body she's occupying, and unlike Neo, the body seems to be that of a younger woman? We could make all sorts of political points here, but we won't. (Suffice it to say that Trinity on first look is likely to have pretty much exactly the same disturbing character problem she had in all three of the earlier Matrix films: the reason for her existence is only to love Neo. That's it. Nothing more. I regard the Bechdel test as a pretty useless one, but it's kind of sad that these movies fail it. Unless, of course, you see the Matrix films as being about narcissism, if you see Trinity's interactions with Neo as reflecting the fact that to the narcissist, people only exist as 'types' or exist only in relation to the narcissist, they don't have an independent existence of themselves.)

To sum up, the Matrix shouldn't be a trans allegory or a simulation allegory, it should be an identity/narcissism allegory. Because it works best as that. And it's kind of funny to hear an art creator complain that the audience took the "wrong" message from their film. (a), if you don't want people of the opposite political persuasion to misread your film's intent, maybe don't start by leaning into the idea that conspiracy theories are real down to the Men In Black being literal agents of the System. And (b), it's a bit funny, for a film which examines what's real and what intent is, for the creator to complain about people taking different meanings from it.

* Note there is a suggestion in the trailer that Neo's diet of blue pills isn't working, that he's starting to see his dreams overlaid on reality. Fair enough, your body has become tolerant to the drug you've been giving yourself all this time. But the dirty little secret of the narcissist is that they take the pills to keep the real world from interfering with their dreams ... not the other way round.
    Nice! Love it! The trans-allegory model explains Trinity's lack of character as being indicative that she is the feminine extension or projection of Neo. She isn't a whole person, she's the feminine self image that lets them (Neo/Trinity) love themselves. This might be weak, however, since one would think that Neo would be the more "hollow" side and Trinity the more fully developed, if she's meant to be what Neo really wants to be. But maybe Neo is pretty "hollow" throughout, as well. He only exists to "be the One". Only together are they a whole person, someone that encompasses both male and female, active and passive.

Being in love with ones' self doesn't negate a narcissism interpretation, either, of course- but I think that the trans experience likely deals more with unhealthy lack of self-love, and so being able to project a version of self that one finds loving and lovable is healthy in this case.
    I'm not saying it's a perfect fit, since obviously the films are full of mixed metaphors and so-so sci-fi due to the limitations of the film making process and maybe the film makers themselves.
    Maybe it's a case where there are different layers of messages intended for different people (which could also be an unintentional effect of flawed story telling rather than intentional depth).

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Why is driving off potential customers a bad side? Must everything be sacrificed on the alter of the almighty dollar? If so then Smith is the real victor for he is inevitable.
    ...Do I really need to explain why the movie making money is important? Especially a big budget, special effects driven one like this movie seems to be? Even if the director would be fine if it doesn't succeed financially because they made ART! I amd very certain the people who funded it feel VERY differently. And if the director wants to make more movies and make more art, she needs their support.

So yes, driving off potential customers isn't just dumb or bad, its bad-dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    The Wochowsky couldn't make a decent sequel 20 years ago, when the Matrix was still fresh, innovative and relevant... I don't think they'll be able to do it in the era of soulless reboots and sequels.

I might end up watching it when it comes out on DVD or something, just because it's The Matrix... But my expectations are incredibly low. I do hope I'm wrong. It's a franchise that has a lot of potential, but has never really been handled well, save for a few good things here and there.
    Honestly the thing that means the most to me on this is that Reeves decided to reprise his role as Neo. He's been very open and honest about the fact that he doesn't need anymore money so everything he works on is something that he's passionate and excited about doing. Which means he liked what he saw in this script and decided it would be worth his time to be Neo again. And since nothing recently has made me doubt Reeves judgement, I have some hope.

Not in the Wochowsky, not in the studio, and not in the IP...but in Keanu Reeves.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

And since nothing recently has made me doubt Reeves judgement, I have some hope.
    I see your hope and crush it with the reminder he participated (I dare not say 'acted') in 47 Ronin.

...but the sequence with the Tengu monks in that movie was awesome.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I see your hope and crush it with the reminder he participated (I dare not say 'acted') in 47 Ronin.

...but the sequence with the Tengu monks in that movie was awesome.
    He did say recently and 47 Ronin was almost 9 years ago...

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Narcissism is awesome. You are deep into depression. You feel like you are hanging on by your fingertips to your last delusions of adequacy. In fact, every part of this song has become your reality. Then you follow a link to a psychiatrist's take on one of your favourite movies, and... Why yes, here's your problem, too much self-love!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    No, the second movie falling flat was 100% the Wachowski Sisters decision making in that movie, don’t give them a pass on that architect scene.

Hopefully Lana and the studio are confident enough to really lean into the trans allegory this time.
    Part of the power of the Matrix was its universal applicability in how it presented its themes. I think trying to shove it into a box, even one that fits it very well, is going to be counterintuitive to making a good sequel.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2021-09-10 at 08:24 AM.