furious OOC - Against the Giants [4E]

AGAINST THE GIANTS

Giants have been raiding the civilized lands in large
    bands, visiting death and destruction upon villages,
    towns, and farmlands. Entire militias have been
    conquered, whole crops wiped out. These marauding
    bands consist of mixed groups of hill giants, stone
    giants, frost giants, and fire giants, as well as ogres
    and other monsters allied with the giants.

Determined to repel the invaders, local lords have
    begun hiring brave adventuring parties. The first
    few groups didn’t fare so well. Some were crushed
    beneath the boulders and jackboots of rampaging
    giants, while others went into the wilderness and
    never returned. However, a new band of adventurers
    has assembled to punish the marauding giants and
    banish them from the civilized lands!

The original Steading of the Hill Giant Chief adventure
    was written by Gary Gygax and published in 1978 by
    TSR, Inc. Part one of a three-part series, it packed a lot
    of punch into eight pages and presented hill giants as
    iconic D&D® monsters. The tripartite “Giants” series
    was later collected into a single adventure module
    titled Against the Giants, published by TSR in 1981.
    This adventure is inspired by Gary Gygax’s classic
    module but uses the Dungeons & Dragons
    4th Edition Roleplaying Game rules.

“Steading of the Hill Giant Chief” can be run as
    as the first part of a four-part series that continues
    with “Warrens of the Stone Giant Thane” (Dungeon 198),
    “Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl” (Dungeon 199),
    and “Hall of the Fire Giant King” (Dungeon 200).

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

You hail from the Principality of Nargelon, an idyllic land of covered verdant, rolling hills and draped in sandy-brown wheat fields. A land surrounded by crystal clear blue waters and jagged, snow-capped mountains. Long ago, Nargelon was a wild, untamed place, lorded over by a tyrannical dragon named Quizarth, Lady of Thunder. She terrorized the good people who called this land home. The masses called out for a band of heroes to liberate them from their torment... Three hundred years ago, a fellowship of adventurers called the Red Knights of the Wolf Maiden's Howl chanced upon Nargelon's shores after a deadly storm. They heard the peoples' pleas and answered their prayers by challenging and slaying the Dragon Queen! Thousands flocked from across the countryside to bear witness to the shattered remains of the dragon who once plagued them. The masses called out in unison, asking the knights whom their leader was. A half-orc fighter named Gitrella the Phalanx stepped forward and declared herself to be the leader of the Red Knights of the Wolf Maiden's Howl. The throng of people begged Gitrella to take up the lost crown of Nargelon and proclaim herself Princess. After much cajoling, Gitrella assented. In a solemn ceremony that took place on the Autumn Equinox, the human cleric of Sehanine, Zarna Grimmight, crowned her wife as Gitrella of House Phalanx, First of Her Name, Princess of the Free Peoples of Nargelon, Castellon of Dragonsfall Citadel, Lady Guardian of the Moonbow Marches. Around the corpse of the Lady of Thunder, the dwarven rogue named, Haluka Broadblade, constructed what would come to be the impregnable fortress called Dragonsfall Citadel. The party's wizard, Haley Newberry, summoned forth a small legion of elementals to build the Tower of Arcane Astrology, a lighthouse built on a small rocky island in Howling Bay, beside which the capital of Quizarth now rests.

Three hundred years have passed since the founding of the Principality. Of those three hundred years, most were peaceful. The last twenty years have rocked the Principality to its core. A dozens of tribes of gnolls crashed into Nargelon. Many battles and wars have been fought to blunt the gnollic advance and push them back out of the Principality. On the other side of the realm, piratical raiders haunt the coasts of Nargelon, killing, murdering, reaping and pillaging. Only through sheer grit and perseverance has Princess Zarna of House Phalanx, Third of Her Name, been able to hold her realm together.

You are heroes of some renown. You began your careers as adventurers out in the Moonbow Marches, battling the gnollic tribes. You made a name for yourselves at the Battle of the Mad Hyenas by single-handedly defending Woodford Castle from gnolls who had been stricken with bloodlust by shamans of Yeenoghu. For your valor, the High Priestess of the Temple of the Blue Moon inducted you into the Order of Night Sky, a prestigious knightly band dedicated to protecting the Moonbow Marches. Princess Zarna herself asked that you and your fellows venture south to defend the coastlines from the dreaded pirates of Commodore Lazarus. You were given the mighty ship known as Pride of the Howling Bay, with which you battled the pirates, discovered their secret hide out and slew their dastardly leader - Norton 'The Shadow' Lazarus.

With the defeat of the pirates and the signing of the Treaty of Autumnsvale with the gnollic tribes, a tenuous peace has come to the Principality... Until word arrived from the furthest edges of the Moonbow Marches - giants have moved into the Crystalmist Mountains. These vile giants have pushed the native mountain dwarves out of their isolated holdfasts, sending thousands fleeing down the mountainside, straight into the Moonbow Marches. The Marches are a wild place, with little in the way of infrastructure and supplies that are needed to house and feed all of the refugees. Many bands of adventurers have been gathered and sent up into the mountains to battle the giants and drive them off... But none have returned. Lanlis Evenbrook, the High Priestess of the Temple of Blue Moon, has beseeched that your band of heroes return to the Marches to help protect the realm from this new threat...

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running?
    D&D 4E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game?
    Homebrew setting

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Ideally 4 or 5 players

4. What's the gaming medium?
    Play-by-post on the Giant in the Playground Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    You are level 12

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard wealth by level.

1x Level 13 item
    1x Level 12 item
    1x Level 11 item
    9,000 gold pieces

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Any official 4E class is acceptable

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Any official 4E race is acceptable

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    22 Point Buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    No evil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Normal rules are acceptable.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players roll their dice, I roll mine :)

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    No homebrew

14. Is a character background required? If so, how long? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Skirt length. Tell me how you acquired one of your magic items.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Hack & Slash and roleplaying, mostly.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Any official D&D source is acceptable, this includes all supplements, Dragon Magazines and the Essentials line.

17. 4E Fixes
    We will be using Surrealistik's fixes numbers: 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7.

18. Backgrounds and Themes
    Are legal

Player Character Class Role Status
    CasualViking Rain Runepriest/Hammer of Vengeance Leader Missing Theme and Background?
    Lirya Aelise (doc version) Sorcerer/Demonskin Adept Striker Needs ruling on Unlucky Teleport
    Hawk7915 Maugrim Winterhill Seeker/Moonrise Stalker Controller Looks complete
    Dimers Xantumon Shaman/Dusk Oracle Leader Looks complete
    dariathalon Evan Newberry Swordmage/Wandering Swordmage Defender Looks complete
    ahyangyi Asjara Warden/Child of the North Wind Defender Looks like it still needs some adjustments
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2021-09-10 at 01:24 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOC - Against the Giants [4E]

I appear!

I think that for my character sheet, the feats/powers are complete but background/items need working, right?
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    I appear!

I think that for my character sheet, the feats/powers are complete but background/items need working, right?
    I just copy/pasted the table. Feel free to wrap everything up :)
    DMing:

4. - Top - End - #4

DwarfClericGuy

Huzzah, thanks Felhammer! Excited to be here

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thanks for taking everyone, Felhammer. I'm looking forward to a fun game with everyone.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoop whoop!

I don't have any always-on leader effects, but I will most often be in the rune-state of Destruction (allies get +1 untyped to hit enemies adjacent to me) or Protection (allies adjacent to me get Resist All 4).

Updated sheet
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-09-11 at 01:28 PM.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #7

Crunch finished, I think.

Regarding backgrounds: did we all take part in the war against the gnolls? How many years ago did the Battle of the Mad Hyenas happen?

EDIT: Assuming that the previous adventures are not decades ago, I reverted Asjara's age to 26. The 39 I filled there was to make room for potential "20 years ago" stuff, but it seems that wasn't that old, and I should be able to stick to the original concept.
    Last edited by ahyangyi; 2021-09-14 at 03:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am excited to get started.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks for having me!

My familiar 'D' will speak in teal and Xantumon himself will (infrequently) speak in bold dark gray, if those colors aren't reserved for NPCs.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The IC is now LIVE! The Link is in my signature :)
    DMing:

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfClericGuy

Awesome! I'll work up a post.

I'm thinking Navy Blue for Maugrim with no special text color for Mithrim (since only Maugrim can understand him anyways). I almost said "no color" since I think I'll mostly be on mobile next week for a few days, but I like the color and will work on having a plan to make posting with formatting easier on mobile

EDIT: I also finally added mundane gear to my character sheet, paying the appropriate gold for it and hoping to handwave all future ammo tracking.
    Last edited by Hawk7915; 2021-09-13 at 12:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I forgot to say, each player was given an additional item by the Princess as a reward for defeating the Dread Pirate Lazarus. This item may be any item of level 9 or lower.
    DMing:

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    I forgot to say, each player was given an additional item by the Princess as a reward for defeating the Dread Pirate Lazarus. This item may be any item of level 9 or lower.
    Oooooh - I'll have to go and find an item and (to not edit a post with a roll) we'll just retcon that cloak comment. Probably end up grabbing another 2nd wind optimization piece or maybe some boots/goggles? I think a level 9 item leaves me short on the Boots of Surging Speed but I can't recall for sure. I dunno, gonna have to go shopping. Awesome though!

EDIT: Boots of Surging Speed are only 7th level, but Gauntlets of Blood is a bit more DPR. Tough call, will have to mull it over for the day. Maybe I'm too deep in the Second Wind Optimization train for a primarily ranged controller?
    Last edited by Hawk7915; 2021-09-13 at 01:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    Ooh! I'll take an elven chain shirt -- make my AC a little less junky.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    Maybe I'm too deep in the Second Wind Optimization train for a primarily ranged controller?
    To make perfectly optimal use of second wind, you have to be hurt. Hard to say how much that will happen with two defenders and a controller in the group. Giants are known for throwing rocks, which might hit anybody ... but do 4th-ed giants do that? Do they have a lot of ranged allies? I don't know.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

I think Evan will speak in violet. As for the new magic item, Evan will grab a Belt of Vim to shore up his fortitude defense some.

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Ooh! I'll take an elven chain shirt -- make my AC a little less junky.

To make perfectly optimal use of second wind, you have to be hurt. Hard to say how much that will happen with two defenders and a controller in the group. Giants are known for throwing rocks, which might hit anybody ... but do 4th-ed giants do that? Do they have a lot of ranged allies? I don't know.
    Thanks as always for the help! I've been into it since iA) it's fun, B) my AC is sorta abysmal for a character of this level, and my Fort Defense is worse, and C) I may occasionally be using my Second Wind just to heal my companion so it's nice to get some more proactive "oomph" from it (currently in the form of +6 to all defenses, +2 to damage on my next attack, and a free saving throw). But I think you're right that with a controller, two defenders, a companion, and my access to Feywild Jaunt and Hidden Lore to get "off the field" for a few rounds of each combat I'm not likely to need to second wind every encounter and should get an item to actually help kill Team Monster - Gauntlets of Blood for my free reward it is!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Aelise will use Indigo.

OOC: I have some vague memories of a previous 4th edition campaign where we met some nasty giant artillery. I think Aelise will also grab an Elven Chain Shirt to help fix her AC. I do assume two defenders + a spirit companion and a fey companion (and a melee leader) will provide a solid frontline.

18. - Top - End - #18

I grab sky blue for Asjara, and she picks up a furry Bear Headdress as her bonus item.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfClericGuy

Free run on any mundane goods, another free 9th level or lower Magic Item...this is feeling a bit like when the game gives you a dozen new weapons and potions to give you a sense of security before the boss fight wrecks you .

20. - Top - End - #20

(1d20+12)[13] Nature, to see if Asjara knows anything about the giants.

EDIT: oh yeah, fail
    Last edited by ahyangyi; 2021-09-15 at 03:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Hmm, yeah, general knowledge about giants would be good. Nature check for Xantumon: (d20+18)[30]

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfClericGuy

Not sure how Felhammer feels about folks piling on knowledge checks (it's a pet peeve of my DM in a RL game, but I'm okay with it in my own games) but Maugrim has I think the strongest Nature score in the party due to his background + stats and has an actual background of growing up in the border mountains so I probably ought to roll...

Nature Check on Giantlore: (1d20+19)[31]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Int is Rain's dump stat, and that's that.
    Semper ludens.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    Not sure how Felhammer feels about folks piling on knowledge checks (it's a pet peeve of my DM in a RL game, but I'm okay with it in my own games)
    Good point. I think it's a good time to ask our DM about this.

I am personally fine with any way to handle knowledge checks.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the delay everyone, I had a bit of a wild few days. Back to normal :)

I am ok with stacking Knowledge Checks for now. If it becomes an issue in the future, we can chat about it :)
    DMing:

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfClericGuy

Good deal!

As a heads up I fly out for a week long vacation tomorrow morning. I will have my tablet and still intend to check in daily but will probably be posting a bit less until I am back home on the 25th.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry again everyone. My mother had to go to the hospital over the weekend. Thankfully she is out and doing well. I will post latert his afternoon :)
    DMing:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

The game can always wait, and you should always prioritze the health of your family. Hopefully your mother will continue her recovery.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

No problem. Take all the time you need to take care of your mother. I'm glad it sounds like she's doing better though.

30. - Top - End - #30

Take your time, Felhammer. I hope everything goes well.