A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default D20 Modern: Tranquilizers

    I can't seem to find any rules for how tranquilizer darts would work in D20 Modern. I'm planning on trying to run a 1-2 shot Modern that will basically be 'Escape from Jurassic World', and my idea was that the party are a group of the ACU that initially only have tranq weapons and would have to find a way to the armory for real guns. Any help in the right direction, or any ideas on how they would work would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: D20 Modern: Tranquilizers

    My first idea is that they'd have a relatively low damage, but the tranquilizer itself would act as a poison. Roll above DCX or you feel groggy, roll again for the next few rounds to avoid actually taking asleep, successive or later doses increase the DC.

    The other relatively elegant option is to have them deal non-lethal damage. Not the best emulsion, but it's a way the system provides to go from 'awake' to 'unconscious', and theoretically to 'dear' if you do with of it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: D20 Modern: Tranquilizers

    Tranquilizer, p70 - Urban Arcana, under special Ammunition. Used by Air Rifles and Pistols further up in the equipment section.

    Other stuff that might be useful:

    Net Launcher - Urban Arcana
    Sticky Foam Sprayer - Urban Arcana
    Blowgun - Urban Arcana, with poisons from d20 Modern

    Specialized Equipment - Dark Matter
    some drugs, grenades, and other stuff that can be used.

    Pepper Spray, Taser, Stungun - d20 Modern

    Different types of grenades: smoke, tear gas, flash-bang, etc.
    I'm taking part in the Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge): 1 character per day for January 2021. Come see who I've made at:
    https://www.livejournal.com/rsearch?...earchArea=post

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: D20 Modern: Tranquilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Tranquilizer, p70 - Urban Arcana, under special Ammunition. Used by Air Rifles and Pistols further up in the equipment section.

    Other stuff that might be useful:

    Net Launcher - Urban Arcana
    Sticky Foam Sprayer - Urban Arcana
    Blowgun - Urban Arcana, with poisons from d20 Modern

    Specialized Equipment - Dark Matter
    some drugs, grenades, and other stuff that can be used.

    Pepper Spray, Taser, Stungun - d20 Modern

    Different types of grenades: smoke, tear gas, flash-bang, etc.
    Sounds like a bunch of what I want, I just don't have the Urban Arcana book
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: D20 Modern: Tranquilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayaz View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of what I want, I just don't have the Urban Arcana book
    DriveThruRPG for the pdfs.

    Otherwise...stat it as rifle, however many shots you like, does 1 pt damage like a bullet, and has the stunning effect of a taser or stun gun from the main book.

    Realistically? Single shot.

    Cinematically? At least equivalent to a bolt-action .30-06, like the M1903. If *I* was the red-shirt tasked with maintaining order in Dinotopia, I'd want a tranq-gun similar to what was suggested for the .458 SOCOM M16: 10 big trang rounds I can shoot out really fast. Paraphrase the scene in Age of Ultron: "GotosleepGoToSleepGOTOSLEEP!"
    I'm taking part in the Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge): 1 character per day for January 2021. Come see who I've made at:
    https://www.livejournal.com/rsearch?...earchArea=post

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: D20 Modern: Tranquilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    DriveThruRPG for the pdfs.

    Otherwise...stat it as rifle, however many shots you like, does 1 pt damage like a bullet, and has the stunning effect of a taser or stun gun from the main book.

    Realistically? Single shot.

    Cinematically? At least equivalent to a bolt-action .30-06, like the M1903. If *I* was the red-shirt tasked with maintaining order in Dinotopia, I'd want a tranq-gun similar to what was suggested for the .458 SOCOM M16: 10 big trang rounds I can shoot out really fast. Paraphrase the scene in Age of Ultron: "GotosleepGoToSleepGOTOSLEEP!"
    I like the idea for the SOCOM rifle. Would you have it do nonlethal damage, or would you keep it acting like a poison. I kind of like the idea of an automatic gun that shoots darts. Also, is the SOCOM rifle stated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.


  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: D20 Modern: Tranquilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayaz View Post
    I like the idea for the SOCOM rifle. Would you have it do nonlethal damage, or would you keep it acting like a poison. I kind of like the idea of an automatic gun that shoots darts. Also, is the SOCOM rifle stated?
    1 pt lethal damage for penetration; it's a real needle in my head.

    I'm torn between stun like a taser or actual tranq pick whatever you like. Maybe different weapons for both?

    The SOCOM rifle isn't statted that I'm aware of. Just something I read years ago. Good summary at:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_SOCOM
    I'm taking part in the Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge): 1 character per day for January 2021. Come see who I've made at:
    https://www.livejournal.com/rsearch?...earchArea=post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •