A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 1011
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    I don't think she's
    Spoiler
    Show
    getting raised by Siuan. That's such a BIG change, and the setting doesn't really make sense. We see her in white right at the beginning of the trailer when the voice over is telling her to swear the oaths (and it looks like they did some makeup work to make her look a little bit younger? is that just me?).

    But when her and Siuan's hands are on the oath rod, she's in blue, and in front of the entire Hall of the Tower, which is a scene we've seen bits and pieces of from other trailers and teasers - she seems to be summoned to the Hall of the Tower at some point along with Alanna and Liandrin - my guess will be that it's some kind of formal hearing before the Hall following Logain's apparent escape. My only guess for why they'd have the Oath Rod there is that there might be some kind of public reswearing of the Oaths, or maybe an additional temporary Oath ("I will not use my usual Aes Sedai shenanigans on The Hall of the bloody Tower"), as part of the process of being called before the Hall? Sort of like swearing on a bible/religious text of your choice when you're called in for a congressional hearing, except way more binding. We'll have to see, but I can't see that it would be her being raised.

    If they change Siuan and Moiraine's backstory to make Siuan her elder, that's a change I will get up in arms about.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-27 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    I don't think she's
    Spoiler
    Show
    getting raised by Siuan. That's such a BIG change, and the setting doesn't really make sense. We see her in white right at the beginning of the trailer when the voice over is telling her to swear the oaths (and it looks like they did some makeup work to make her look a little bit younger? is that just me?).

    But when her and Siuan's hands are on the oath rod, she's in blue, and in front of the entire Hall of the Tower, which is a scene we've seen bits and pieces of from other trailers and teasers - she seems to be summoned to the Hall of the Tower at some point along with Alanna and Liandrin - my guess will be that it's some kind of formal hearing before the Hall following Logain's apparent escape. My only guess for why they'd have the Oath Rod there is that there might be some kind of public reswearing of the Oaths, or maybe an additional temporary Oath ("I will not use my usual Aes Sedai shenanigans on The Hall of the bloody Tower"), as part of the process of being called before the Hall? Sort of like swearing on a bible/religious text of your choice when you're called in for a congressional hearing, except way more binding. We'll have to see, but I can't see that it would be her being raised.

    If they change Siuan and Moiraine's backstory to make Siuan her elder, that's a change I will get up in arms about.
    There is indeed a formal Hall oath to not do typical Aes Sedai slipperyness while being questioned by them. However, it doesn't involve the Oath Rod, because it doesn't need to - merely swearing, clearly and straightforwardly, to report to the Hall plainly and without omission will trigger the First Oath anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoT 19, "Surprises"
    "You have been called before the Hall of the Tower to relate what you have seen," she said in a strong Taraboner accent..."I charge you to speak of these things without the evasion or holding back, and to answer all questions in complete fullness, leaving out nothing. Say now that you will do so, under the Light and by your hope of rebirth and salvation, or suffer the consequences." Those ancient sisters who made this part of the Hall's ceremony had been well aware of how much leeway the Three Oaths gave. A little left out here, a touch of vagueness there, and the whole meaning of what you said could be stood on its head, all while you spoke only the truth.
    As far as Siuan and Moiraine - I don't particularly mind if Siuan got raised a little bit before she did, it doesn't change a whole lot imo. I agree though that it's probably just more trailer chicanery.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Menacingly circling a pair of scared kids is definitely on brand for Whitecloaks. Not sure who the unconscious/dead person in the red and blue coat on the ground is supposed to be. (Aram? Elyas?)

    I'm also assuming they're behind the burning of that woman at the stake - and she must be an Aes Sedai since the whitecloak is ostentatiously displaying her ring on his belt afterward - which begs the question, how in the heck did they manage that? She would need to blindfolded to not weave, rather than merely gagged and bound.
    Agreed. Though I don't think they'll bother introducing a significant Tinker if they're just gonna kill them in significant alteration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    - I assume she'll be "Damodred" going into her test, and "Sedai" coming out.
    - Tam's katana certainly is Just Better, since it is Power-wrought. Those things are practically vibranium in-universe.
    - I'm gonna guess that voiceover is Tam rather than Thom; he would know a lot about them having fought right outside Tar Valon. He has a conversation about the First Oath with Rand in EotW, so they may have expanded that to cover all the Aes Sedai oaths.
    To be clear, I'm being silly levels of nitpicky here and very lighthearted!
    • They call her Sedai while telling her to swear the Oaths. She isn't Aes Sedai until after the Oaths are sworn, so it's inappropriate. Could be dialogue just for the trailer though.
      Side note, they truncated the third Oath to only being "never use the One Power as a weapon." Too bad about the riders regarding self defense and shadowspawn!
    • Oh yeah, Tam's sword may be power-wrought, but his wrists aren't, and the blocking of that parry is just silly! On a more practical level it makes the trolloc and its sword feel weightless.
    • We see the person speaking, and it's not Tam, if my eyes don't deceive me based on the breif comparison of the two actors in the trailer.


    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Some other random things to gush about in the trailer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - We finally get a look at Moiraine's kesiera.
    - Narg v Tam looks like it's going to be as epic as I imagined!
    - I assume that's Agelmar in Shienar we're seeing with the topknot, looking very daimyo and badass with his back turned.
    - The scene of Moiraine and Lan dressed in white and crying / yelling looks like a funeral. For who I can't say. At this point I'm not even sure Tamra is in this version since Moiraine appears to be getting raised BY Siuan instead of WITH her.
    - Nynaeve taking on a whole-*** trolloc with her belt knife is very on brand.
    - Battle of Winternight looks like it's going to be badass too. 5 fireballs at once Moiraine, save some Trollocs for Lan! (and here we can clearly see that Fire weaves do look different than Air!)
    - Anyone recognize the symbol on that dagger going for Logain? Three stars?
    - Veiled Aiel in the Blood Snow taking wetlanders to stabbytown, I live.
    -
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Ooh, Agelmar! Yeah, you're probably right! I was wondering.
    • Clearly set before her raising, maybe it'll be more Whitecloak murder, setting them up and a throughline threat.
    • Digging the fireballs, I'm expecting it to be the bang the first episode revolves around.


  4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    The fact that any promise or oath an Aes Sedai makes is seemingly completely binding under the First Oath always struck me as a bit too far an extrapolation of the wording of that Oath. "I will speak no word that is not true" shouldn't mean that you're forever compelled to keep words that you said in the past (that you completely intended to be true at the time!) to be true forever and ever, especially if your circumstances change or some kind of new context is revealed. Or even if you just change your mind! You can swear an oath, completely mean it, and then if you change your mind later it doesn't change that the words were true when you spoke them. It should only stop you from intending to change your mind later, not block an actual honestly come by change of heart. The First Oath shouldn't be able to work retroactively like that!

    But that's just me nitpicking, and we know that the Oaths are subjective to an extent - we see that some Aes Sedai have differing understandings of what exactly constitutes 'using the Power as a weapon' and that actually has an effect on how tightly that Oath binds them.

    Edit: The mysterious person speaking is the Warder with the silly axes that we've seen from other clips and trailers. I'm also pretty sure the truncation of the Third Oath is just for trailer purposes as well, since Moiraine clearly has no compunctions against fireballing Trollocs in the face, and there's that fight with the probable Dragonsworn with Alanna, too.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-27 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    To be clear, I'm being silly levels of nitpicky here and very lighthearted!
    I know there was no malice in my response; I just enjoy parrying nitpicks too

    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    • They call her Sedai while telling her to swear the Oaths. She isn't Aes Sedai until after the Oaths are sworn, so it's inappropriate. Could be dialogue just for the trailer though.
      Side note, they truncated the third Oath to only being "never use the One Power as a weapon." Too bad about the riders regarding self defense and shadowspawn!
    • Oh yeah, Tam's sword may be power-wrought, but his wrists aren't, and the blocking of that parry is just silly! On a more practical level it makes the trolloc and its sword feel weightless.
    • We see the person speaking, and it's not Tam, if my eyes don't deceive me based on the breif comparison of the two actors in the trailer.
    - I don't disagree on the honorific. As for the truncated oath, clearly those exceptions exist since she's flinging fireballs at Trollocs like M&Ms so maybe we'll get the full version in the show.
    - As I mentioned, I believe that power-wrought metal has some shock-absorbing properties in addition to being indestructible. In a post-Marvel world, playing that up would be an easy sell.
    - I still think it is Tam but admittedly, I'm not 100% sure with that lighting. (EDIT: Yeah, it could be Axe-Warder. In any case, it's not Thom.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    The fact that any promise or Oath an Aes Sedai makes is seemingly completely binding under the First Oath always struck me as a bit too far an extrapolation of the wording of that Oath. "I will speak no word that is not true" shouldn't mean that you're forever compelled to keep words that you said in the past (that you completely intended to be true at the time!) to be true forever and ever, especially if your circumstances change or some kind of new context is revealed. Or even if you just change your mind! You can swear an oath, completely mean it, and then if you change your mind later it doesn't change that the words were true when you spoke them. It should only stop you from intending to change your mind later, not block an actual honestly come by change of heart. The First Oath shouldn't be able to work retroactively like that.

    But that's just me nitpicking, and we know that the Oaths are subjective to an extent - we see that some Aes Sedai have differing understandings of what exactly constitutes 'using the Power as a weapon' and that actually has an effect on how tightly that Oath binds them.
    The fact that the First Oath does apply to promises they make is the entire point behind it, or at least a large part. If a sovereign asks their AS advisor to promise not do X, they know that sister won't, or at least that she'll have to find some way of wiggling out of it quite a bit more involved than "Hey, I changed my mind 5 minutes later." It's also why AS are very cagey about the oaths they do swear, and try to put time limits or other conditions on them. For example,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beonin's oath of fealty to Egwene was to the Amyrlin Seat, which allowed her to consider it fulfilled once Egwene was captured, thus allowing her to betray Salidar.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-10-27 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    That's definitely true, but I feel like logically the Oath just needs to have an additional rider on that to accomplish what it actually does. Something like "I swear to speak no word that is not true, and never to break my word once given." or something along those lines.

    I wonder if the White Ajah ever have any intense debates on the specific wordings of the Oaths and their implications. Maybe it was a White who found the loophole in the Third Oath that lets you just ride into the middle of a pitched battle until you feel endangered enough to trigger the self defense clause.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-27 at 04:33 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    That's definitely true, but I feel like logically the Oath just needs to have an additional rider on that to accomplish what it actually does. Something like "I swear to speak no word that is not true, and never to break my word once given." or something along those lines.
    I understand where you're coming from.

    More weirdness - note that the Oath applies to writing too, and even to gestures like nodding. You'd think some Aes Sedai would be able to convince herself that those two things don't count as "speech" and proceed to lie her *** off in a letter or proclamation. (Without being Black Ajah, anyway).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    I wonder if the White Ajah ever have any intense debates on the specific wordings of the Oaths and their implications. Maybe it was a White who found the loophole in the Third Oath that lets you just ride into the middle of a pitched battle until you feel endangered enough to trigger the self defense clause.
    Almost certainly a Green
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Do not mess up Nynaeve. If they change it so she doesn't go chasing off after an Aes Sedai and her Warder on her own to get back what she considers her kids then that is going too far. She was a total badass. Claiming she might be the DR could seriously mess that up.

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Technically they swear to speak no word that is not true, so any time and Aes Sedai says any word that isn't 'true' they are breaking their oaths, forcing them to go around saying 'true' like Pokemon. So there's wriggle-room.

    They could break their oaths non verbally, but that would essentially cement the First Oath as worthless.

    Considering the 3 seconds of screentime they have, I'm not sure the Whitecloaks are quite so threatening yet.

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Technically they swear to speak no word that is not true, so any time and Aes Sedai says any word that isn't 'true' they are breaking their oaths, forcing them to go around saying 'true' like Pokemon. So there's wriggle-room.
    That's almost on the verge of being a memetic hazard and I love it. Imagine a White sister thinks herself into that conclusion one day and instantly makes it true for herself, and has to change her own mind to get it to stop. Like how when Egwene was a damane she briefly wasn't able to pick up a water pitcher until she managed to convince herself that it couldn't be used as a weapon against her sul'dam.

    In similarly light-hearted news, it seems that there's been an executive decision in regards to the show that 'the Taint' on the One Power is now 'the Corruption'. So RIP in advance to the Dark One's slick, oily taint.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-27 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Um, okay. Why?

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    presumably they found in the writer's room that a bunch of dialogue about "The Dark One's taint" failed to elicit an appropriate response

    Spoiler: Serious answer
    Show
    for those out of the loop, 'taint' is a slang term for the region between a person's (usually male) genitalia and their anus


    Rafe's trailer commentary, wherein he mentions 'the Corruption' (but not why that change was made):
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-27 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  13. - Top - End - #403
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Technically they swear to speak no word that is not true, so any time and Aes Sedai says any word that isn't 'true' they are breaking their oaths, forcing them to go around saying 'true' like Pokemon. So there's wriggle-room.

    They could break their oaths non verbally, but that would essentially cement the First Oath as worthless.
    I've wondered how far the first oath goes regarding intentions in the future...if for example an AS says she'll have toast for breakfast tomorrow and she can't find toast the next day, what happens? Is she unable to eat breakfast until she finds toast? Does she wait till lunch before eating? Is she unable to eat anything??

  14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2021-10-27 at 11:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwyrm View Post
    I've wondered how far the first oath goes regarding intentions in the future...if for example an AS says she'll have toast for breakfast tomorrow and she can't find toast the next day, what happens? Is she unable to eat breakfast until she finds toast? Does she wait till lunch before eating? Is she unable to eat anything??
    I feel like so long as she genuinely intended to follow through when she said that and tried to do so that morning but just couldn't find any she would be fine? She may well just have to go find some toast or something close enough to count though. This might get into "is a hot dog a sandwich" questions.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Claiming she might be the DR could seriously mess that up.
    Nah, I don't see how that would mess up anything regarding Nynaeve. If it's Rand (which it will be), "One of the five of you" and "one of the three of you" are both still true statements.

    It's more the possibility that the Dragon could reincarnate as a woman in some Age or Turning, or at least that Moiraine is hinting they could, that I'm excited about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    In similarly light-hearted news, it seems that there's been an executive decision in regards to the show that 'the Taint' on the One Power is now 'the Corruption'. So RIP in advance to the Dark One's slick, oily taint.
    I've seen board filters (not here obviously) that block the word "taint" for its anatomical/vulgar connotation so I kinda get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Rafe's trailer commentary
    Whoa, I was right, that was Aram Guess we get to see the Way of the Leaf in action as the Whitecloaks immediately clean his clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    I have... a crackpot theory about a possible change that could have been made to the nature of the One Power in the show, and the nature of the Corruption has been laid upon it, based on some very consistent wording on how they have and particularly how they haven't described the One Power in everything I've heard (from teasers, from interviews, etc.) so far.

    It's a big reach for now and could very easily be blown apart by the next drop or the actual show though so I'm gonna sit on it for now until we get some more information.

    And yeah RIP Aram. Maybe that's part of his motivation to pick up that sword later? I'm really curious as to the identity of that Aiel, since Rafe was so pointed in talking about it, and how it's an early bird introduction of someone we won't get to know until later. Rhuarc? Tigraine? Janduin? Oh no is Rand's adopted dad going to have been the one to kill one of his biological parents?
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-27 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    And yeah RIP Aram. Maybe that's part of his motivation to pick up that sword later?
    Almost certainly. And having him get his butt kicked by Whitecloaks early on suggests he's going to be a more major character than previous. (Who knows, maybe the Song will actually matter in this version...)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Based on that commentary I don't think we're getting Loial at all this first season. I get it, but also, he's the best and I'm sad! We're more or less certain that Caemlyn won't be happening, right?

    A fairly irrelevant change, but in the books isn't Tarwin's Gap significantly further from Fal Dara than spitting distance?

    Sounds like that is 100% Agelmar.

    Interested to see how they highlight the Warder bond, and what that'll mean for Birgitte down the road!

  20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Loial is actually in the trailer! It's a blink-and-you'll miss it appearance, but if you look at the shot where the gang are all standing by the Waygate, he's crouched over by Nynaeve.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-27 at 11:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  21. - Top - End - #411
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Loial is actually in the trailer! It's a blink-and-you'll miss it appearance, but if you look at the shot where the gang are all standing by the Waygate, he's crouched over by Nynaeve.
    Indeed

    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    A fairly irrelevant change, but in the books isn't Tarwin's Gap significantly further from Fal Dara than spitting distance?
    I mean probably, but think how much more awesome the Super-Rand scene is going to be with the fortress in the background
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    On a practical level, having the battle be the Shadowspawn take place in and on the walls of the fortress is just a much easier big battle to shoot, since you can split it up into pieces, and shoot a lot of it on soundstages, as opposed to a big open cavalry battle as described in the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  23. - Top - End - #413
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    I think the battle will largely be in the Gap - we'll get the maudlin pre-Helm's Deep scene of the weary soldiers (and other able-bodied conscripted civilians) riding off to die, then we get the reaction shot of Agelmar on his balcony with jaw dropped watching
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rand go Super Saiyan with the Eye in the distance, then we get the triumphant humanity riding back after the nuke.

    Besides, if the fighting is away from the walls, Rand will really be able to cut loose and give us a preview of what is to come


    Sidenote: I'm unsure if this is the case but if we start getting newcomers to the series in here we may have to start using spoiler tags even for EotW and NS stuff.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-10-28 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  24. - Top - End - #414
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Clertar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ockham
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    So the word on the street, is this show going to be good?

    I hope it is, I've never read the novels and I'm looking forward to watching this.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

  25. - Top - End - #415
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    We don't know, which is most of the point of this thread.

  26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Everything I've seen so far has made me pretty confident in the show. Even the changes I don't like, or am unsure of as of yet, I can see the rationale for, enough to be like "hmmm, okay, I guess I can see that. Let's see how that works out." which is a pretty good sign for me. I don't think there's anything that's been "uh... why??" for me yet. And outside of adaptational book nerd stuff, the production itself seems to be quality. Even if it turns out the writing's bad, it should at least look nice.

    As far as "word on the street", from what I've seen most of the big content creators in the wider fandom, especially youtube (Matt from The Dusty Wheel, Nae'blis, and others), also seem pretty confident with the show right now.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-29 at 08:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  27. - Top - End - #417
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    So the word on the street, is this show going to be good?

    I hope it is, I've never read the novels and I'm looking forward to watching this.
    No one knows, and we're mostly massive fans here, so probably not the ones to ask.

  28. - Top - End - #418
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Between The Expanse, Good Omens, The Boys and Invincible, Amazon's genre fiction adaptations have yet to disappoint me. I wasn't as big a fan of His Dark Materials, but it was still leaps and bounds better than that travesty of a Golden Compass movie that came before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Everything I've seen so far has made me pretty confident in the show. Even the changes I don't like, or am unsure of as of yet, I can see the rationale for, enough to be like "hmmm, okay, I guess I can see that. Let's see how that works out." which is a pretty good sign for me. I don't think there's anything that's been "uh... why??" for me yet. And outside of adaptational book nerd stuff, the production itself seems to be quality. Even if it turns out the writing's bad, it should at least look nice.

    As far as "word on the street", from what I've seen most of the big content creators in the wider fandom, especially youtube (Matt from The Dusty Wheel, Nae'blis, and others), also seem pretty confident with the show right now.
    All of this, and I'm just excited we've gotten a company with the dollars to put production values behind this. Even back in the 90s/00s I knew putting this on screen and making it look good would be a colossal undertaking. Looking at the Trollocs/Myrdraal and the Channeling, I'm not disappointed at all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I've never read the novels
    Well there's confirmation, I'll go back and spoiler some of my earlier posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashen Lilies's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Silly thought of the day.

    Spoiler: Of Robes and Rings
    Show
    Since we're going all-in on the Ajah color coding, with the brightly colored dresses and new ring design, does this mean that 'out' members of the Black Ajah (like Liandrin and co after book 2) get to wear spooky all-black dresses? Do they have cool black gemstone Aes Sedai rings to wear to all their secret Darkfriend meetings? I'd totally become a Darkfriend if it means I got to wear a cool black ring as part of the deal. Uh... I mean, go Light.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-10-29 at 10:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

  30. - Top - End - #420
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Wheel of Time, Amazon Prime

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Silly thought of the day.

    Spoiler: Of Robes and Rings
    Show
    Since we're going all-in on the Ajah color coding, with the brightly colored dresses and new ring design, does this mean that 'out' members of the Black Ajah (like Liandrin and co after book 2) get to wear spooky all-black dresses? Do they have cool black gemstone Aes Sedai rings to wear to all their secret Darkfriend meetings? I'd totally become a Darkfriend if it means I got to wear a cool black ring as part of the deal. Uh... I mean, go Light.
    They'll almost certainly have black rings and dresses/hoods to wear to the Darkfriend socials, like the one in Book Two we see from "Bors" POV. Not only will this clearly signal their allegiance and the threat of the BA to the audience, it will also carry the in-universe benefit of hiding their nominal Ajahs from the other Darkfriends in attendance who might be able to use it to puzzle out their identities.

    Speaking of Darkfriends and the Black Ajah:
    Spoiler: Major character/plot spoilers
    Show
    I'm hoping the show does a better job of explaining why people (who aren't utter sadists like Liandrin and Galina*) would willingly sign up, just to get randomly abused by people who are beneath them socio-politically, and then forced to dogrobber for Forsaken at the drop of a hat, even when their orders contradict each other.

    Take Sheriam for instance. IIRC, Word of God is that she sought out the Black so she could gain power and status. But stature in the Tower is purely based on channeling strength, and she's nearly as strong as Moiraine so she already had plenty of that. She's strong enough to Travel unaided, strong enough to be chosen as a Sitter, etc. At best I can argue that she became Mistress of Novices sooner than she otherwise would, since the Black like to maneuver their own into that post, but it's not like being MoN is necessary to advance in the Tower politically (Siuan never was, neither was Sierin Vayu etc.) What other status could she have sought that would possibly be worth what she went through?

    Now granted, it seems like she and multiple other BA didn't expect the Forsaken to show up so soon - it was kind of like joining the military for quick benefits only to have war were declared the next day. But you'd think they'd at least consider the possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •