New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Book of Erotic Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Dweomer is an Old English word meaning "witchcraft" that derives from the Old Norse term dvergmál, literally meaning "dwarf talk" (dvergr dwarf + mál talk), referring to the secret knowledge of magic among the original Norse dwarves.
    Interesting, I never knew it came from here (despite "dvergmál", spelled "dvärgmål", could still mean "dwarf speak" in modern Swedish). I first encountered the term in Katherine Kerr's Deverry books and always just assumed it was a Celtic word.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    There's was a meme I saw in the last week that said dewormer - I actually misread it as dweomer.
    Apropos of nothing, but that meme was hilarious.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Beji-Kujaku
    That reminds me‚ does anybody know where the word "Dweomer" is coming from?
    On the origins of dweomer, it seems there is a two-stage etymology for the modern term. The first suggests a direct descent from a reconstructed Proto-Indo-European word for “dust” or “fume,” which could have the general sense of veiling or concealment, and which from PIE was transmitted through Proto-Germanic into Old and Middle English, where it had the general sense of magic or illusion, as in the obscure medieval dweomercraeft.

The second is found in a discussion of the term here, where the author, a longtime gamer, believes that “…*dweomer is an entirely novel term, coined by decomposing and folk etymologizing the compound dweomercraeft in a way that no earlier author had done,” and giving Gary Gygax credit for essentially creating a new word, which refers to an individual spell or casting rather than magic in general.

The claim that it derives from Old Norse for “dwarf-talk” seems to be found exclusively on gaming sites, where it would have a natural appeal, but I’m not seeing any substantiation for this idea.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

There is one true gem in the BoEF, and it is the following line:

Love Life Of An Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

OK that's pretty brilliant.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

I remember reading a let’s read thread over on rpg.net.
    As I remember it, there were some topics the book is surprisingly mature about and some topics it’s surprisingly immature about. The biggest problem was that at the end of the day it was pretty uninspired. It didn’t bring anything to the table that was better than what you could come up with on your own just brainstorming. The best part of the thread was the discussions about more interesting ways they could’ve done things. I have a few headcanons about D&D races that came from the posters in that thread riffing off pretty boring source material from the BoEF.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    First, it's not even 3.5, it's 3e.

Second, of course it's not official. It's published under the OGL which allows almost anyone to publish d20-compatible gaming books. It very conspicuously lacks any D&D or d20 System logos on the cover.
    IIRC, the requirements to qualify for the d20 System logo were rewritten specifically to exclude this book.

I found it a good read, a good impetus to start my own thinking on whether I agreed or disgreed and why.

The fantasy genre has always overlapped easily with erotica. I am thinking of one particular serious Hollywood film with a big name actor where the female lead spent the whole film in sandals, bikini briefs, and a cape (and nothing else) for no good reason.

And I am familiar with some fantasy stories, mostly comics or animation, where sexual content was mechanically part of the spellcasting system, where the wizard ran out of spells mid-combat and so took the fighter's pants off for a quick recharge.

If I wanted to play a game in that setting, at least I know where to find some rules for it.

Ultimately I found the BoEF disappointing simply because none of the rules it includes turned out to be something that I want to add to my campaign.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by SpyOne View Post
    IIRC, the requirements to qualify for the d20 System logo were rewritten specifically to exclude this book.
    Maybe not specifically that book, but it was part of the overhaul of the d20 licence, which was mostly instituted because of a run of really crappy d20 books produced by third party publishers. The specific term of the licence that allows one to use the d20 logo was changed to this:

The nature of all material You use or distribute that incorporates the Licensed Articles must comply with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as community standards of decency, as further described in the d20 System Guide. You must use Your best efforts to preserve the high standard and goodwill of the Licensed Trademarks. In order to assure the foregoing standard and quality requirements, Wizards of the Coast shall have the right, upon notice to You, to review and inspect all material released by You that uses the Licensed Articles. You shall fully cooperate with Wizards of the Coast to facilitate such review and inspection, including timely provision of copies of all such materials to Wizards of the Coast. Wizards of the Coast may terminate this License immediately upon attempted notice to you if it deems, in its sole discretion, that your use of the Licensed Articles does not meet the above standards.
    It was the bold bit that stopped BoEF from bearing the d20 logo, but it was the underlined bit that put third party publishers off using the logo at all. From this point on, OGL was going to be used across the board.

Anthony Valterra, the guy who owned BoEF's publisher, Valar Project, was actually working for WOTC as a brand manager until May 2003. He had been fighting to keep these changes from occurring and tried to accelerate BoEF's publication so it'd get out before the changes to the licence were made. The book was announced in May 2003 (which was also when he quit WOTC) and previews of the book were sold at GenCon in Indianapolis in July that same year. Valar Project's right to use the d20 logo was revoked in September 2003, and the book eventually came out November 2003 with references to the OGL in 28 point font on the front cover.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    I remember reading a let’s read thread over on rpg.net.
    As I remember it, there were some topics the book is surprisingly mature about and some topics it’s surprisingly immature about. The biggest problem was that at the end of the day it was pretty uninspired. It didn’t bring anything to the table that was better than what you could come up with on your own just brainstorming. The best part of the thread was the discussions about more interesting ways they could’ve done things. I have a few headcanons about D&D races that came from the posters in that thread riffing off pretty boring source material from the BoEF.
    Speaking to the emphasis mine, this is exactly how intimate subjects at tables are often handled.

hmmm..."mature" is the wrong word, "intimate" doesn't fit either, "sexual" is a bit too strong. Gosh, is there a good word that describes anything from handholding to excessive use of leather and chains?
    Last edited by False God; 2021-09-22 at 11:53 PM.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    Speaking to the emphasis mine, this is exactly how intimate subjects at tables are often handled.

hmmm..."mature" is the wrong word, "intimate" doesn't fit either, "sexual" is a bit too strong. Gosh, is there a good word that describes anything from handholding to excessive use of leather and chains?
    "Carnal". Which is a ridiculous word since it comes from the Latin Carne, meaning meat, carnivores being those who eat meat, and ... ah ...