New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Satyrs Lore 3.5

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Satyrs Lore 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I've said this many, many times, but I wish the 3E run had included more monster books in the vein of Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Draconomicon, Drow of the Underdark etc.

The main ones I would have liked to see would be one for Fey, and one for Goblinoids/Orcs/"evil" humanoid races (akin to the 2E Book of Humanoids).
    Yeah I've been trying to do some work on fleshing out the evil humanoids. How good it is, well... subjectivity
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how Hamadryads figure in the D&D lore? I don't think they ever got an official 3E reprint. They didn't even make it into the 3rd party Tome of Horrors. I'm lead to believe they exist in 4E, and maybe 5E?

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Yeah I've been trying to do some work on fleshing out the evil humanoids. How good it is, well... subjectivity
    That sounds promising.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Note about "Satyrs": Korred was updated to 3.5 in the Tome of Horrors, Revised

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Mongoose Publishing's Slayer's Guide to... series are well worth a look for several of the MM savage races. I have read Orcs, goblins and hobgoblins, but the series is pretty prolific... there is even a Slayer's Guide to Krakens.

The Slayers Guide to Orcs is quite good quality in particular. Better again is Fury in the Wastelands from Kingdoms of Kalamar (orc supplement), which I'd consider better quality than the WotC Races of books. My campaigns tend to be orc heavy as my table tends to just like them as a nonhuman race a lot more than elves and dwarves.

Fey are woefully under represented though, even in 3rd party stuff. I remember there was some quite interesting homebrew on the old Planewalker site metaphysically linking them to Eladrins, though that may have been drawing from 4th edition fluff. Fey are big players in my current campaign, but I basically had to write it wholecloth using Killoren as the template race.
    Last edited by Dalmosh; 2021-09-23 at 06:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmosh View Post
    Mongoose Publishing's Slayer's Guide to... series are well worth a look for several of the MM savage races. I have read Orcs, goblins and hobgoblins, but the series is pretty prolific... there is even a Slayer's Guide to Krakens.

The Slayers Guide to Orcs is quite good quality in particular. Better again is Fury in the Wastelands from Kingdoms of Kalamar (orc supplement), which I'd consider better quality than the WotC Races of books. My campaigns tend to be orc heavy as my table tends to just like them as a nonhuman race a lot more than elves and dwarves.

Fey are woefully under represented though, even in 3rd party stuff. I remember there was some quite interesting homebrew on the old Planewalker site metaphysically linking them to Eladrins, though that may have been drawing from 4th edition fluff. Fey are big players in my current campaign, but I basically had to write it wholecloth using Killoren as the template race.
    Check out my latest homebrew thread for some oddball fey. I still have to do the big bad supertemplate, but that's probably a little ways off.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Also worth mentioning that Manual of the Planes has optional rules for a transitive Plane of Faerie at the back, which is probably useful to consider.

Later editions of the game expanded heavily on this concept, and I find a lot of people are more willing to adopt this Feywild fluff than a lot of other changes to the game lore, as it fleshes out something covered poorly in 3.5.
    Last edited by Dalmosh; 2021-09-24 at 04:50 PM.