New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Ingredients for a Mirror of Mental Prowess?

So rather than just convert gold to reagents, I thought what a scavenger hunt for the ingredients for a MoMP would look like. I am thinking that an optic nerve from a Beholder, a hundred doses of alchemical potion made with the Dragoncraft Feat from the blood of an Ethereal Dragon, plus the polished bones of an Ancient Ethereal Dragon to be used to frame the mirror would all be a good start.

But what else might some recommend? I probably still need something at least connected to the Legend Lore spell, and something that can teleport or even plane shift. I will just guess that there is nothing that can naturally cast the Gate spell that I can use for spare parts.
    Last edited by Mercurial891; 2021-09-11 at 05:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ingredients for a Mirror of Mental Prowess?

Well, candles of invocation can cast gate under the right circumstances... maybe your players could get enough of those to account for every day of the crafting? Or, maybe if there's a good cleric, they could just use one, use the candle as intended to summon a solar, then make a contract with it to stick around and cast the gate spell for them daily (starting on day 2, so it can prepare the spell first)...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Well, candles of invocation can cast gate under the right circumstances... maybe your players could get enough of those to account for every day of the crafting? Or, maybe if there's a good cleric, they could just use one, use the candle as intended to summon a solar, then make a contract with it to stick around and cast the gate spell for them daily (starting on day 2, so it can prepare the spell first)...
    Perfect, this exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Although, I am assuming that my guy already has the mojo, and is simply looking for the raw ingredients.
    Last edited by Mercurial891; 2021-09-11 at 07:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial891 View Post
    Perfect, this exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Although, I am assuming that my guy already has the mojo, and is simply looking for the raw ingredients.
    Well, maybe stick with just using the candles themselves... maybe one for each alignment for something something magic reasons?

Also, there's an article in Dragon 317 (page 45) about "Power Components" that could have some good ideas for you. For example, a component for the gate spell would be powdered horned devil brain, that sort of thing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I looked up the old White Dwarf AD&D series of articles "Eye of Newt and Wing of Bat", which did precisely this (suggested ingredients for various magic items), but the didn't touch on mirrors at all. Was the MoMP a thing back in 1E? I think it was? Mirror of Life Trapping and Mirror of Opposition were.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Perhaps the cerebrospinal fluid of a silver dragon, mind flayer, or lycanthrope...
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The shard weapon of a Nerra from the Plane of Mirrors, maybe?