New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 1648: Stranded in a Foreign World IC

Samuel Arvandor

Sam nods to Prudence and attempts to bow and show deference at the right places. He doesn't want to go to Istanbul just yet, though the trip would allow them a good way to measure the relative power and size of this empire, and also learn the language the old fashioned way. He'd much rather explore their immediate surroundings first, but he supposed they'd have to take things one step at a time.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy: take 10 for 34, or bluff take 10 for 30, whatever is most appropriate
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

While the diplomat speaking to you maintains a neutral impression the beuracrats behind them and the man in the middle of them seem duly impressed by your deference. The diplomat retreats to speak with the in whispered tones then comes back up to you once more.

"The agreement would not be unsimiliar in principle to one of the timar. This Samuel's father would be given a wide degree of ability to interpret and implement laws of his choosing so long as they are not greatly against the laws and morals of the empire, not harbouring hose who would take up arms against it. Not being involved in an acts of treason or blasphemy and not prosecuting other people of the empire in his lands. In exchange, one would normally be expected to provide military service and tribute, however in it's place we would accept the service of a smaller number of your people, to be put to various services, including sharing the gift you are currently demonstrating.

As for why you must delay your return, these waters and indeed this very island wa once the domain of ccountlesss pirates backed by a foreign nation. The empire has restored peace and taken all but one of their harbours here, but they continue to haunt these waters until whether prevents them from accessing their bases and they are forces to retreat west fro some months before tracking back here to raid again. We are bringing them to heel but such things take time even for a nation as wise as ours."
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Darius says to Samuel, "Samuel, if you don't mind, perhaps you can refer to me as your personal physician, or that of your family, rather. It might help with keeping us together in case they want to separate us into nobility and commoners at some point... and I think we should try to stick together. I will also insist that Qamar is my patient and must remain under my care, and of course Prudence is our voice."
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Qamar pales somewhat again. The thought that they might get separated didn't cross her mind thus far, but it sounded like an actual possibility, and not one that she liked much. I don't know what I would do… Alone. she nods timidly. Let's do that.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“We’re on an island? That’s interesting,” Sam said, “can we find out if there is sufficient food to last the winter, also can we find out what time of year it is, and … hmm, how long a year is? Err. Maybe just tell them we will have questions about this place and the plants and weather and whatnot, basic questions of survival, so we can plan for our people.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-11-10 at 07:53 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Prudence

Prudence relays the diplomat's message back to her colleagues, and does her best to keep track of questions to ask their hosts.

"Thank you for your clarification, my lord. Sorry, how should I address you? I am still just starting to learn the customs of civilized folk."

She pauses for a response, then plows forward.

"My Lord Samuel speaks with wonder that such a grand place can be but one small island in your great empire. He asks on behalf of his people about the time of year, and how they may make arrangements to trade for seeds and such. There were cultivated fields, orchards and the like, which his people relied on for food. He has questions about weather, crops, the climate here. They will need to begin to make other arrangements, and quickly. Are there people here we could speak to about such things?

"I suppose that that leads us to matters of currency. We are from a land that uses coins of gold, silver and copper as currency. Their people are not wealthy, but will find things to trade for necessities. Is there one set currency here?

"Doctor Darius here would doubtless also wish to confer with your own healers about plants of medicinal power here, to keep his patients -"

She waves vaguely at Qamar.

"- healthy. Perhaps tomorrow, when I have had a chance to rest and prepare to speak again, we could speak with such learned men?"

It seemed likely that all of the wizards - or whatever they were here - would be men. She hadn't seen a single woman in a position of authority since arriving. Maybe that would be a topic for tomorrow.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

"My lord shall be adressed as the Great Warrior Kapadun Pasha Huseyin, in accordancce with rank and honoured title. And I welcome your lord Samuel's questions for I see his wisdom. The questions of climate can be answered for you, but I am afraid you find this land as winter is beginning and so the land provides less in harvest than it would in summer, while as long as the pirates swarm these waters the sultan cannot provide he people here with the generosity he might otherwise, and the fight they put up when thrown from this land has caused much food to be lost already."

"As for coin, the officials here would gladly convert your own coins for the silver akçe of the empire, and many villages will weigh your coin against their own ducats. As for the knowledge of medicine we can arrange such things with little trouble if he wil explain his own arts.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nature) DC15
    Show

From how we describes the climate, with only two seasons and your own expierience with the warmer climate and humidity of the air, your native crops are unlikely to grow well here, and it'll take time for your people to transition to crops they're not currently familiar with. While you have some food in store, with the diffiulties this issland currently faces in feeding itself you'll have to do something to ensure your people are fed until they familiarise themselves with the local climate and methods of agriculture.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Prudence

The lanky half-elf bows, acknowledging Kapadun Pasha Huseyin's words, and shifts to quickly translate for her colleagues. She adds:

"I don't want to risk my magic cutting out in the middle of a thought, so let's go for one more round of questions, if that, and then I'll get very tired and need to stop for the day. Okay? What else do we need to talk with them about?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #189

Qamar merely shakes her head. She doesn't quite understand politics or the minutiae of agriculture. That Baron Arvandor will be left in place should keep Mother and Father, as well as the mill safe –probably –, and the more time is spent not talking about her skin or her magic the better.

10. - Top - End - #190

"Less is more -- let's try for a graceful exit to this audience," says Darius.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2021-11-13 at 04:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“I agree, let’s get out of here without an insult, anything else we might want we can ask for later,” Samuel said.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Prudence

Prudence nods her agreement and turns back to the Great Warrior.

"Great Warrior Kapadun Pasha Huseyin, we are deeply grateful for your guidance and wisdom. We look forward to providing such small wisdom as we are able, and to learning how to contribute in some way to the Empire.

"As I have said, this exercise of my training is exhausting to me. With your leave, I will retire to rest. I know that we are eager to learn more of this land, and of your language. Are we free to explore the city? And would any of your staff be available to act as a guide?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All

As Prudence's magic begins to fade out you confirm a few last details. A man named Oruc is appointed as your guide and another named Ahmed is brought forward as your tutor before you leave the city. It is made clear to you that you may travel the public areas of the city as you will, but are not to go without taking a number of guards with you. These guards seem intent on keeping you from interacting for too long with the civilians in certain parts of the city and keep an especially close eye on Qamar. Most of you are unfamiliar with the architecture, though Prudence finds it reminiscent of the half elven styles in Busilar, a land to the south-west you journeyed to once. The buildings of worship are especially fine and you learn a little of the two faiths that exist on the island, Islam and Christianity though you do note that divine magic is just as absent as arcane.

The following five weeks are busy for all of you for one reason or another, though the ottomans allow you to journey back and forth to Citallon as you will, they still place guards both to Garrison Citallon and to accompany you when travelling between settlements. The first journey back is uneventful, though you get the chance to begin speaking properly with your guide and tutor. Oruc was a sailor, and can match any of you for tales about foreign places, giving you vague and fanciful descriptions of many lands reached by this ocean, and the eastern coast of the continent to your south, where ivory and gold sell like wood and copper. Ahmed is somewhat less outgoing but seems extraordinarily well read, and keeps up with Daruis for some time about theoretical knowledge of medicinal herbs, only just failing to match your knowledge and readily finding some master for you to discuss further when he admits defeat.

Returning to Citallon itself is a more involved affair with you having been absent much longer than planned, and with communication very difficult without Prudence as an interpreter it was nearly impossible for anyone but the Baron and Qamar's parents to offer even the vaugest explanation of what happened to you, something that concerned Daruis' family especially. Nonetheless you return in time and everyone is alive. A few wid stories and speculations of what has happened to you and why have sprung up in your absence but calmer heads have prevailed and though few people have known what to do Citallon at least still stands argely united. With this done, and your friends and family still okay you separate to fulfill your own agendas over the following weeks.

Prudence

Your first weeks of free time are kept busy with lessons in Turkish. Though you are assured it'll be a difficult process your bardic training and occasional use of further "special training" to cover the more complex concepts see you to gaining a good grasp on the fundamentals of the language within three weeks, which then allows you to still spend some time in lessons but devote more of your hours to other pursuits.

As for your other objective, on that front information comes hard and fast, as far as you can tell your hosts where being less than honest when saying this island was governed by pirates, rather as far as you can tell it was previously referred to as the Regno di Candia, ruled over by a now deposed duke and was by treaty a subject of a far off republic known as Venice. As soon as you get back you hear reports from young men of the village who went searching for you of a city to your north being surrounded by vast siege works. As far as you can tell this city is still held by venetian troops, and is holding firm against Ottoman attempts to stare it out serving as the main focus of state opposition to Ottoman control of this island. However the rest of the island fell quickly to the ottoman forces some years ago, and several other fortresses have since surrendered or been captured, and few believe the city can hold out for much longer.

Something which seems more reliable is the vast difference in cuture between the Ottomans and the locals, most pressingly as far as you can tell from the temples there was little worship of the Ottoman god Allah and the faith of islam before their arrival and the vast majority of the island is Christian in faith. There were also groups on the island who resisted even the vassalage under the Venetians and would surely resist any ottomans in time. On one occasion when you sneak out to talk with locals absent your ottoman guards you heard tales of Sfakia, an area to your south kept isolated by thin mountain passes, and of something odd happening their of their god 'delivering the second plauge to once more free his children'. While the local villages seem less willing to take up arms against the Turks, you can tell there is no love there.

Qamar

The Turks seem just as willing to keep you at arms length as you are to stay at arms length from them, and you are among the most pleased to be able to return to Citallon. Even though you know it's ultimately temporary. You are slow to learn Turkish, but have managed a basic grasp of it in the time allowed to you.

More interesting are the results of your travels outside of the village, both to test your magic and search for frogs. You have an innate connection to your magic that's different to any other here and so can almost feel that while the magic outside of your village allows you your full spread of tricks it's.. off. Weaker in some ways than it was before, though anytime you return to a location after casting there before it seems to have strengthened greatly, and over the following weeks the local magic grows stronger even in places you hadn't visited before. Additionally, one one of your frog hunts you're roaming the hills to the south and come across a small still lake in one of the many rocky valleys. Shaded and surrounded by caves as it is, it seems ideal for frogs, and so you spend some time there, finding many varieties of the creatures. After a while you catch sight of a strange form, humanoid, short and covered in what looks like rocky, warty, scaly skin. It turns and runs as soon as it sees you, and scrambles over rock at a pace you have little hope of matching, leaving your sight in little more than a second, but the strange footprints on the lakeside and the distinctive smell in the air leave little doubt that it did exist.

Samuel

As son of the Baron you have more direct responsibilities than the others and thus fewer opportunities for misadventures. You take stock of Citallons supplies, mostly the magial ones inside the library and your father's and his friend's studies. You have some supplies, and the library has a good amount of information on traditional wizardry. But aside from those you traveled with, the only trained caster is the young quarter elven woman who operates the library and maintains the ever flowing fountain. You do know the Lamia's Lips flowers, a few of which were taken with the town can be used to help make magic items based on illusion or enchantment.

Daruis

Maps seem to be a fairly rare commodity in this land, but eventually Ahmed arranges for you to be shown some and to receive a copy and a set of navigator's tools. It shows the surrounding seas and lands and you swiftly match them to Oruc's stories, while also learning Greek, the language which most of these maps seem to be written in an older form of and which many medical texts also seem to have been penned in. You talk with the healers and exchange some information, though you seem to be working off the same basic set of information with few relevant developments on either end, though without magic to fall back on their success rates are far worse, and they've developed some techniques for situations when you'd depend on hoping someone nearby had relevant magics.

All

When these weeks are done you are called to return to the city you met the ottomans governor in, and from there take a ship to their capital. It does not escape your attention that this could be your last chance to see Citallon in some time, and the guards there seem less and less patient with the secrets people are keeping from them. Are there any goodbyes to be said or plots to set in motion before you depart?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-01-04 at 08:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Qamar manages to calm down significantly in these weeks. That the fancy looking Turks in the great chairs were wrong about her magic is a welcome development, even if it takes time for it to reach its full potency outside Citallon, as is the fact that the less fancy looking ones aren't all brutes. Neither Oruc, nor Ahmed or the guards hit her again and if they still think she's a fiend, they would seem to be less outspoken about this opinion. She's still wary of them, of course, but the days of that primal fear are past now.
    Nevertheless, she finds even greater comfort in getting to be with Mother and Father, as well as Krogg and the frogs (both old and new) again, and whenever she's not roaming about exploring the hills in search of frogs, she tries to spend as much time with the other three as possible. The sighting at the small lake comes as a comfort as well: she always felt an intimate kinship with the scalykind, even if the lizards and kobolds she pestered about that didn't necessarily feel the same way. That the Ottomans are wrong again, and she and her parents are not the only different ones around here fills her with joy. This place might not be all that bad, after all. She spends some time examining the footprints (not that she can tell much about them, let alone follow them) and ponders what she saw briefly before returning her attention to her little amphibious fiends. She'll have to ask Oruc about this, or better yet, Prudence.

Spoiler: Check.
    Show

She hopes it's a dragonlike thing, so Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+7)[27]

When the day to leave rolls around, Qamar becomes slightly nervous again. The blind panic never quite comes back, but she keeps shifting and fidgeting about restlessly. She really doesn't want to go. Oblivious of the growing tensions between the locals and the garrison, she has the impression Citallon has finally settled down into a new normality she could live in and live with. She learned to like these hills and valleys, and, most importantly, Mother and Father are and with some luck will stay in Citallon for the foreseeable future.
    But then she reminds herself that she's doing this for them and Krogg and she finds a measure of peace in that conviction. She'll prove they aren't devils or spirits or whatever else the Turks called her when she didn't understand and then, Mother and Father will be safe to amble around free again. She'll live through this somehow, for them.
    When the time comes, she pulls both her parents into a very tight hug. I'll… I'll be back before you know. she tells them,, both her body and her voice trembling lightly. You'll see. And then we'll live as we lived before and we can get the mill running again and everything shall be fine. She pulls herself away to look at the two before adding I'll… I'll miss you so so much. I'll try to write or send back news or something as I can and you just stay hidden, you must, you do know that, don't you? she jabbers, squeezing their hands, almost teary-eyed. I'll be fine. I love you both.
    She then turns towards the baron feeling a sudden urge to run over and hug him as well, but thinks better of it. And thank you for everything Lord Arvandor, Sir. I… I know you'll keep them safe.. She squeezes the hands of Mother and Father again and gives them another, last hug before stepping back to pick up her overstuffed backpack, as ready to leave as she'll ever be.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

Sam would like to find out what will be expected of them on this journey, and he would like to learn more about the local languages and religions.

Once it is announced they’ll be required to travel to Istanbul, he will start trying to learn Turkish. He has a suspicion they will be requested to swear fealty to the Turkish empire.

He then seeks guidance from his father as he packs for the trip.

“Is there anything I should be doing on this expedition, Father? Perhaps some of the wise men in the capital of the empire may have knowledge of a way home?” he asked, “anything specific I should be wary of?”
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Prudence

As much as possible during those heady first few weeks, Prudence tries to share breakfasts with the three from Citallon, sharing bits of what she's learned from the Ottomans, bits of Turkish, bits of local politics, and is also eager for their own experiences. She recommends to her colleagues that, when back in Citallon, they gather samples of the unique wares and products of the town. Such make excellent presents when travelling, and might help to establish demand for Citallon's beer.

Prudence has no need to return to Citallon in the days leading up to their sea voyage, and instead focuses her free time on exploring the city where they're staying.

Prudence cautiously shows around the map that appeared to her on the day of the great shift. She's eager to know if it somehow references something in this new world, or has a precedent - perhaps suggesting that there have been other world travellers.

Prudence is fascinated by the tensions between the two faiths on the island, especially since, from her initial readings, they seem functionally the same, and even build on the same text. She has precious little time for her own worship, and in this world, the unicorn symbol is simply a fanciful myth. She has also been intrigued and startled to discover how many real creatures - dragons, unicorns, fey - have some kind of stories about them in this seemingly magic-less world. Suggesting that perhaps it hadn't always been so magic-poor.

Realizing that she would have to abandon it here when their ship literally came in, Prudence works to get as good a price as possible when selling her horse. She uses some of the money to buy a mundane packsack.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming that Qamar talks about the non-humans she ran into, Prudence will try to identify those creatures: (1d20+5)[9]

Gather information from the town about the "map": (1d20+8)[28]

17. - Top - End - #197

Darius, being a curious young man, welcomes the chance for adventure outside Citallon, and new knowledge (he particularly enjoys learning Greek). His sister begs to go with him, but he assures her there will be future opportunities. He makes sure his usual clients will be taken care of and says goodbye to his family. One preparation they make is agreeing upon two locations on the outskirts of town as message drop points. One is a hollow tree, the other a dry spot in a stone wall. Darius' sister will check these locations discreetly each day while making deliveries, and the family agree that they can leave messages to each other there in case they are prevented from seeing each other in the future.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All

With your goodbyes now said you are taken first by horse back to the city, and then down to the dockyards thereof. The on and off distant thunder that accompanied the enemy vessels presence has now gone and been gone for some days, and so the harbour chains have been lowered and you are taken to one of the ships. A large Galley, flat and sleek, with both oars and sails and a flag showing a crescent moon and stars on the mast. While many who you recognise as being greatly important are there little fanfare occurs as you slip out into the wider sea and leave the island holding your home behind.

While the first few days on the open ocean are not exactly peaceful, and the rocking of the waves upsets the stomachs of all those unused to the sea it does provide a good opportunity to think back, discuss and talk over what happened in the previous weeks now there's somewhat less to do.

Qamar

As soon as you saw the creature, you recognised something about it. And while you couldn't confirm it, of the many books you've read on the varieties of Scalykind described a creature that almost exactly matched the description of what you saw.

"Black Fanged Troglodytes are a rare variety of Cave dwelling creatures found amongst the already reclusive troglodyte populations. Though study on such creatures is a difficult prospect many scholars believe these troglodytes are descended from black dragons or similar creatures. Most often found deep underground in or near magically rich areas. In many ways they resemble ordinary troglodytes but for their lengthened and darkened canine teeth. Their greater strength, a diminished stench in favour of an acidic mucus they can issue onto their skin and a reported but unverified ability to turn to stone for long periods of time if denied access to food or water. As this petrication is thought to be reversible it may explain several unusual behaviors, including their relationship with Gorgons."

The book contains several other minor references to such creatures, but nothing definitive and few other pertinent details. Eventually the rest of the memory becomes bittersweet, as you come to dwell on the Turkish guards who seemed insistent on guarding the town library and the other difficulties facing your home. But with the trust and support of your parents and a promise of their safety from the baron you find yourself steeled to carry on.

Samuel

Your focus is on your fathers words to you, as he spoke on what you must do here.

If it's true, how little they understand about magic, I doubt we'll be able to secure their help in going home without spending years teaching them what we know about magic first. If you see an opportunity don't shy away but I have little hope for your chance there. What you must prioritise is the safety of our people. Both those who are going with you and those back here. That means you must try and see if there is some way to better open up this island from the fighting in the surrounding waters. As long as that continues, few here will be able to be secure in the food available to them, and until we relearn countless things about the soil and farming here, that is a pressing danger.

Prudence

While you hurry to and from in the time left to you the area in which you find by far the most sucess is in identifying the nature of the map. As you look at it after the passing of two weeks you notice several of the bronze circles have received etchings of gold in the part of the circle that orients to the north. This change is far too slow to observe happening but can be noted in the passing of days or weeks. Most remain the same, but among those that the golden colour has traveled furthest around are several clustered around the existing gold ring and one very far away, likely on the opposite side of this world.

When you show it to others to compare it against them you are first met with minimal luck, until Ahmed introduces you to the Cartographer he introduced Daruis to. Then you find a similarly sized map showing the outline of this world and focused around pilgrimages and landmarks. There, you see that the rings seem to lie all over the map, but have a strong preference for being on land over the sea and some, not all but far more than chance would indicate, seem to lie near places of spiritual importance. In fact, one of the most developed of these rings, which is now about a third gold, lies only a short distance to the west of Constantinople.

Daruis

Your arrangements and goodbyes are made steadily, and a promise to tell your sister all that you've seen whenever you get back properly is coerced from you. In the meantime the drop points are established and you are allowed to depart.

All

On the third day of sailing, you are brought up from mulling over your thoughts below decks by cries of alarm from up above. After panicked seconds you find yourselves fetched up to the deck of the Galley, Ahmed and Oruc both having come with you. You're passing through a straight right now, somewhere the locals referred to as Steno Karifea, having stuck to those waters closer to land in case you needed to cut and run from a storm. It seems you were not the only ones considering such a precaution though as ahead of you is a larger ship, flying the flag of a golden lion on crimson and bearing down quickly on your position. The captain is shouting demands for order, but seems just short of panic himself as he commands the ship to turn for shore, and while you can't be sure it seems like the other ship is likely to catch yours before you reach any safe harbour.

What do you do?

19. - Top - End - #199

Darius decides from the crew's behavior that this other ship may intend to attack them. He quickly secures his weapons and few other possessions and helps the others from Citallon. He urges the little group to stay together in the impending chaos. He looks over his straps and buckles to prepare himself in case he needs to cast off his equipment quickly -- not that he plans on ending up in the sea. He glances around the galley to see if there might be some kind of rowboat. It's always good to know one's options. He looks at the sky. If it's a bright, clear day he might be able to use some magic without the shimmer being noticed. If there's a storm coming, that might be useful to know as well.

20. - Top - End - #200

Qamar spends these three days slightly greener than usual: she's never so much as seen a real ship before. Her seasickness, however, is not quite strong enough to divert her attention from the intense homesickness, so to distract herself, whenever she isn't lying on her bunk trying not to puke, she clings close to the others, babbling on and on about her little expeditions, the frogs of Crete and, of course, her newly discovered "cousin", the dragonblooded troglodyte she saw.

As she hears the cries of alarm on the third day, the green elf has to basically be dragged up on the deck: that is the last place where she wants to be. She has little time for much else other than instinctively grabbing her bag before she emerges from below with the others. She's slow to notice what, exactly, the Turks are so afraid of, but sooner than later the large ship with the lion-banner drawing ever closer draws her eyes on itself and she freezes for a few moments. It's not how she imagined the pirate ships raiding the waters around the islands. It's way bigger and flashier, but its predatory elegance scares her all the same.
    Darius's words shake her out of her daze, nevertheless, and she stumbles along breathing heavily and once again looking for a good back to cower behind. Is that… Are we going to die? she asks nervously, clutching the wand of Mage Armor stashed away in a pocket with her left.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

On the journey: Sam will relay his fathers’ orders for them, and then speculate on the nature of the gold rings once he becomes aware of them. He would also try to find out the nature of the other passengers, and try to make conversation in his broken Turkish as best he could, if only to improve his language skills. If there are others with common trade languages of the area, he will craft a Pearl of speech in the non Turkish language (after asking Prudence to confirm with the Turks what the common regional trade languages are).

Current:
    At the cries of alarm, Samuel gathers his pack and heads above deck to find the others and see what the commotion is about.

“We are not going to die,” Sam said, “rule one, whatever happens, we stick together.”

He glanced around and tried to estimate how long until the enemy ship was in crossbow range. He nocked a bolt and cranked his own light crossbow.

“Prudence, you’re best with Turkish words, see if you can find out who they are and what we can expect from them,” he said, “maybe take someone with you, your choice. Everyone else, let’s find a rowboat, see how many it can carry, stake a claim to it, and if there’s space we’ll get Ahmed and some of the important people who have helped us out, if it comes to it. Anyone else have any bright ideas? I’m open to suggestions.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-12-05 at 07:38 AM.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #202

Darius

"I'm prepared to use some magic if it looks bad. But I'll wait to see if our ship is actually attacked."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    Darius

"I'm prepared to use some magic if it looks bad. But I'll wait to see if our ship is actually attacked."
    “Right, I was thinking about that, what have you got?” Sam said, “I have some gifts due to my bloodline but they’re obviously magical, summoning bat swarms and bolts of eldritch energy… let’s try not to make obvious use of magic or kill anyone unless our lives are in danger; we might need to curry favor with whoever is on that other boat eventually.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-12-06 at 01:54 AM.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #204

Qamar draws closer to Samuel for comfort, her fear palpable. I… I can make people tired. Or friendly. If that helps. she says. They… Neither's flashy, but… she pauses, not sure how to put it. But I don't know how, um, how well that would work. I… I tested it. And magic's spreading, from Citallon. It's… she makes a vague gesture. Weaker the farther we get and… And I'm not sure it's at full strength here already.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“What?” Samuel said.
    He activated his at-will detect magic abilities and studied the auras on his equipment to get an idea of how much weaker the enchantments were, if at all.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Prudence

All of Prudence's previous experience with water travel had been river boats. This open seas stuff was exhilarating! She did her best to assist Samuel in the preparation of his pearl, and Darius in the process of de-greening Qamar. But on the whole, much fun! Especially if Qamar was right, and magic was slowly infiltrating this world.

Well, until they're charged by the other ship.

"I'll see what I can learn. I'm assuming that these are the Venetian 'pirates' that they've been talking about. Yes, let's try not to use any magic unless we absolutely have to. Remember, this isn't our fight unless we make it so."

Keeping low and holding onto railings and walls as much as she could, Prudence sought out a sailor who wasn't already dashing around doing something, and asked in her still-rudimentary Turkish:

"Pardon, sir! Who are those in the ship, and what do they want with us?"

Show
    Sorry for being AWOL. Work sucks.

27. - Top - End - #207

Darius

"I can help us last a little longer in a fight, but I can't help us avoid the fight. It's defensive magic. There's a visible effect though, a shimmer that I'm sure will be noticed.
    "Do we even need to fight? Unless this ship bearing down on us is full of merciless killers, they might be better hosts for us than the Turks, who have basically threatened our town if we don't cooperate."

Darius keeps looking around for a way to escape or perhaps hide. This isn't their fight. Maybe they should just stay below decks until the battle is over.

"We may need to use magic to persuade our visitors that we're friendly, if they end up getting the better of the fight.
    I'm checking how well my magic works here."

He discretely finds a bucket or, lacking that, any nearby portion of the ship that can collect fluid, and casts CREATE WATER into it, willing the maximum amount of water he can get out of the spell.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

All

As you talk chaos continues to erupt around you. The sailors above your heads work to reel in the sail, and manage to introduce enough Slack that when a spinning chain connecting two heavy balls smashes into the sails above your head it rips up the sailcloth but doesn't cause the mast to collapse. Oarsmen spin the ship around and send you hurtling back the way you came, as the other ship slowly but persistently closes, men in light armour rally on the other deck, and some tend to the immense contraption that just shot chain at you.

Daruis

There is indeed a pair of long rowboats towards the rear of the vessel, but they're small and slow craft and while useful in a shipwreck will put you totally at the mercy of anyone in a larger craft. Right now the sun is high in the sky and the reflections off the waves and refractions in the ocean spray could conceal some magics, you know a storm is meant to be blowing up some ways to your east but hasn't much disturbed tthe waters in this channel.

Upon discretely testing your magic the result seems to be unimpaired but there is a slight resistance there, it's awkward, like trying to swim in shallow water. Your spells have the same effect, but it seems any that would have to be resisted might be slightly easier to resist under these conditions.

As for hiding there are few opportunities for true stealth on a ship like this, things generally being cramped and strictly organised. Retreating to your cabins would get you out of danger in the immediate fight, as they sit near the rear of the ship and away from the passages to the decks, but it seems sure that you'll be found eventually.

Samuel

You make note of the same rowboats and quickly peg their location, though casting off from the main craft while it's travelling at this speed seems an ill advised idea. Each seems to be able to hold perhaps ten or twelve people at full capacity.

Looking down with your magical detection you notice little change. Perhaps the lights associated with your items are a little dimmer than they were in Citallon, but they seem to have the same function and overall abilities.

Prudence

As you find a man pulling hard on various ropes but not seemingly occupied with anything else you quickly ask him about the nature of this other ship.

"They'll be the *&*&*&*&* Venetian Marines missy, and maybe some Knights *&*&*&*&* too. Damn the *&*&*&*&*, we were told they'd be out of supplies by now. " The burly man says, before the rope jumps again and he returns his attention to wrangling it and keeping his head below the lip of the side barding.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Prudence

Prudence ducked as things started sailing overhead. She sited her companions and shouted out to them in their language:

"Yup! It's the venetians! I'm gonna help our hosts not die, until they do."

Hanging around Ottoman soldiers gives one a unique ground-level perspective on culture. Including, for example, battle songs, which also often make good dirges.

Prudence's normal voice was a husky contralto, but as she found a spot near the base of a mast to hunker down and cower, she took a deep breath and let loose with a soaring soprano that stirred the blood. It lacked the poetry of better songs, but it had a clear melody and a driving message, and that's what was needed right now.

"Grandfather Ceddin
    Father of our nation
    Grandfather Ceddin
    Father of our nation
    The most heroic
    Ottoman Empire

Service in arms
    Safe from all harms
    They gave glory to the world
    Service in arms
    Safe from all harms
    Ottoman Empire
    Ottoman Empire

Empire that we love
    Stands against barbarians
    Stand up for my people
    Stand up for my family"

Show
    Seeking as much cover as she can on deck, then starting to Inspire Courage. +1 to weapon attacks and damage, +1 to saves vs charm and fear.

Credit where due: I'm stealing most of the lyrics and scansion from the traditional turkish song Ceddin Deden.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Samuel Arvandor

“Seems a bit more difficult but- what was that??” he said, pointing at the pair of balls and chain.

He stared at the approaching vessel and tried to judge the distance.
    TC for short