New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It's Not A Gate

1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: It's Not A Gate

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I missed the part about TDO conducting his own field study. Is that in spoiler material, or did I read past it long ago?
    Start of Darkness, p. 44.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: It's Not A Gate

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    In several of our recent discussions we have debated aspects of Team Evil's plots involving the last gate. Lately there have been suggestions that Serini's judgement is flawed when she suggested that Xykon being in possession of a gate is preferable to the destruction of the gate.

Only, it's not a gate. A gate can be opened and closed, and there is no indication that once opened, these 'gates' can be closed.

I think that a quote from The Giant is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The gem reinforces the Gate; the gem is NOT the Gate, and the Gate is not the seal, and the seal is not the rift.
    This indicates that there are several layers of security.

First of all, the rift is sealed. The seal is designed to stay closed at all times, and never be opened.

Then a gate is put on top of the seal. The gate serves as additional protection, preventing access to the seal. A gate can be sometimes opened. My guess, this allows inspection, maintenance and strengthening of the seal. Usually it remains closed.

Then there are various protections, preventing access to the gate, whether guarded by paladins, monsters, illusions, or wizardry.

And the whole thing surrounded by secrecy, so no outsider knows about the gate in the first place.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold