Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lich Mock Trial

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Lich Mock Trial

I'll post the previous post to make it easier for me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Asisreo1 View Post
    Well, we can start the combat. I do want to say that we'll use the honor system for the dice rolls. And I already established that the fight will be ToTM. Just notify your positions and actions. If you attack with extra attacks, go ahead and roll all the attack and damage rolls at once and I'll let you know what the lich does if she does anything.

Now, I'll go ahead and introduce the scene:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You enter a large throne room. The decor is lavish yet the air is foul and thick. The marble pillars align to the end of the room, where you see a throne raised slightly on a pulpit. A woman's voice from the end of the room speaks. She speaks a proper tone, almost like a princess. Yet the venom in her words betray her act.

"Welcome to your death, foolish mortals. You should congratulate yourselves. You've managed to make Death Incarnate furious with your actions, and you get to die by her hands. Don't worry, though, I'll be sure you'll have the honor of being the first to have their soul consumed by my new phylactery once its complete." You can determine based on her voice that she's positioned on the throne. You can also tell that she had just stood up, probably to get into a proper fighting stance.

Her initiative:

[11]+3 = 14.

(btw, my format for this exercise will be [dice roll result] + modifier = total. With advantage, its [dice1][dice2] + modifier = total w/ higher dice. Vice versa with disadvantage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lich Mock Trial

I'll post the previous post to make it easier for me:
    Initiatives
    Archer (15)+5 = 20
    Barb/Rogue (7)+2 = 9
    Cleric (2) + 2 = 4
    Wizard (19)+2 = 21

By the way the cleric has prebuffed bless using a level 2 slot on the entire party and also prebuffed Aid using a level 5 slot on the Archer, Cleric and Wizard. The Wizard has prebuffed haste on the barbarian.

You'll have to let me know how far the characters are away from from the enemy when you call for initiative. They would advance in a loose formation with the Barbarian Leading straight down the middle, Cleric and wizard would be back to right moving forward near the columns but on the inside of them. The archer would be opposite of them near the left columns, also on the inside of them.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-12 at 07:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Frogreaver View Post
    Initiatives
    Archer (15)+5 = 20
    Barb/Rogue (7)+2 = 9
    Cleric (2) + 2 = 4
    Wizard (19)+2 = 21

By the way the cleric has prebuffed bless using a level 2 slot on the entire party and also prebuffed Aid using a level 5 slot on the Archer, Cleric and Wizard. The Wizard has prebuffed haste on the barbarian.

You'll have to let me know how far the characters are away from from the enemy when you call for initiative. They would advance in a loose formation with the Barbarian Leading straight down the middle, Cleric and wizard would be back to right moving forward near the columns but on the inside of them. The archer would be opposite of them near the left columns, also on the inside of them.
    At the start, its 150ft away, opposite sides of the room. So you can choose to dash, shoot from a distance, etcetera. She's still in the position of her throne, standing up. She's clearly invisible, though. You can't determine anything else about her visible appearance, though.

Also, please post your AC's as well. I know your features and saves, but I just want to make sure I'm not mistaken with the AC (yes, you can have max armor equipped).
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-12 at 07:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

At the start, its 150ft away, opposite sides of the room. So you can choose to dash, shoot from a distance, etcetera. She's still in the position of her throne, standing up. She's clearly invisible, though. You can't determine anything else about her visible appearance, though.
    The wizard moves forward 30 ft and casts dispel magic using a level 3 slot. (Range is 120ft)

Archer has 18 Total 17 Base and +1 from cloak of protection
    Barbarian has 19 Total, 17 unarmored and +2 from cloak and ring of protection
    Cleric has 22 total, 20 from plate and shield, +2 from cloak and ring of protection
    Cleric has 21 total, 20 from half plate and shield, +2 from cloak and ring of protection
    Wizard has 17 Total, 15 from mage armor and +2 from cloak and ring of protection
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-12 at 07:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

The wizard moves forward 30 ft and casts dispel magic using a level 3 slot. (Range is 120ft)
    Make two intelligence ability checks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Make two intelligence ability checks.
    (10)(20)+5

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

(10)(20)+5
    She appears before you. Her sickly greenish-gray skin and rotting flesh is appalling, yet she still carries her demeanor as one who feels superior, looking down on you all. "Happy to see me, wizard? I hope so. I'm very happy to see you."

Next turn, the fighter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

She appears before you. Her sickly greenish-gray skin and rotting flesh is appalling, yet she still carries her demeanor as one who feels superior, looking down on you all. "Happy to see me, wizard? I hope so. I'm very happy to see you."

Next turn, the fighter.
    Fighter Attacks and Bonus action attacks

(5)(*1)+10 = 16
    (4)(*1)+10 = 15
    (6)(*2)+10 = 18
    (5)(*3)+10 = 18

Not using any dice or action surge at the moment.

*Note - had to move forward 30ft to be in range with hand crossbow
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-12 at 07:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Fighter Attacks and Bonus action attacks

(5)(*1)+10 = 16
    (4)(*1)+10 = 15
    (6)(*2)+10 = 18
    (5)(*3)+10 = 18

Not using any dice or action surge at the moment.
    She casts shield. The first two attacks zip past her while the last two seemed like they'd graze her, but they instead bounced off of what looked like a magical barrier of force.

She uses her lair action and recovers the spell slot she used for shield.

She then takes her turn to move behind the nearest pillar and take full cover from the wizard and fighter. She casts a spell and three illusory duplicates appear. Of course, she's obscured from the wizard and fighter, but the rogue and cleric still has her in line of sight by half-cover.

The distance from her is 90ft from the wizard and fighter, 120ft from the other characters so far.
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-12 at 08:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

She casts shield. The first two attacks zip past her while the last two seemed like they'd graze her, but they instead bounced off of what looked like a magical barrier of force.

She uses her lair action and recovers the spell slot she used for shield.

She then takes her turn to move behind the nearest pillar and take full cover from the wizard and fighter. She casts a spell and three illusory duplicates appear. Of course, she's obscured from the wizard and fighter, but the rogue and cleric still has her in line of sight by half-cover.

The distance from her is 90ft from the wizard, 120ft from the other characters so far.
    *Not sure if you seen my note about the fighter originally moving up to be 120ft away (forgot to initially note it from focusing on the attack rolls, but he couldn't have attacked otherwise). So he's probably 90 as well.

The Barbarian Rogue using cunning action to dash (he is hasted so can now move 160ft this turn). He moves up to the Lich and attacks twice with his extra attack and once with haste.

(3)(*1)+12 = 16
    (19)(*4)+12 = 35
    (4)(*4)+12 = 20

***Also note the AC listed earlier for the Barbarian was without hastes +2. He actually has 21 AC when that's accounted for.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-12 at 08:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

*Not sure if you seen my note about the fighter originally moving up to be 120ft away (forgot to initially note it from focusing on the attack rolls, but he couldn't have attacked otherwise). So he's probably 90 as well.

The Barbarian Rogue using cunning action to dash (he is hasted so can now move 160ft this turn). He moves up to the Lich and attacks twice with his extra attack and once with haste.

(3)(*1)+12 = 16
    (19)(*4)+12 = 35
    (4)(*4)+12 = 20

***Also note the AC listed earlier for the Barbarian was without hastes +2. He actually has 20 AC when that's accounted for.
    Btw, you can go ahead and roll damage and attack rolls at once, I don't mind.

For her Mirror Image spell:
    [2] doesn't hit the duplicate but she dodges out of the way.
    [8]It hits one of the duplicates.
    [18]It hits one of the duplicates.

2 duplicates are down but she still hasn't been hit.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Btw, you can go ahead and roll damage and attack rolls at once, I don't mind.

For her Mirror Image spell:
    [2] doesn't hit the duplicate but she dodges out of the way.
    [8]It hits one of the duplicates.
    [18]It hits one of the duplicates.

2 duplicates are down but she still hasn't been hit.
    I will in the future. I don't think damage rolls mattered at all in this instance.

I'm never sure if she has a lair/legendary action shes going to use, try to let me know if i'm good to go on to the next PC.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

I will in the future. I don't think damage rolls mattered at all in this instance.

I'm never sure if she has a lair/legendary action shes going to use, try to let me know if i'm good to go on to the next PC.
    Alright, you're good to go for the cleric next.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Cleric moves forward toward the Lich, should be 90 ft away and casts silence behind the barbarian.

*Ending Bless
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-12 at 08:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Alright, you're good to go for your next character, the wizard.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, you're good to go for your next character, the wizard.
    To make things a little quicker I have a couple of positioning questions.

Can the Wizard move to a position where he can see the Lich?
    Can the Fighter move to a position where he can attack the Lich?
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-12 at 08:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

To make things a little quicker I have a couple of positioning questions.

Can the Wizard move to a position where he can see the Lich?
    Can the Fighter move to a position where he can attack the Lich?
    You can get up to half-cover visibility from the pillars, but you would need to be at least 100ft away by moving to the side.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

You can get up to half-cover visibility from the pillars, but you would need to be at least 100ft away by moving to the side.
    I'm assuming if the Wizard Dashes and Misty Steps he can get LOS and be maybe 30ft away from the Lich? If so that's what he does.

I guess with his action he's going to use ray of frost.

Attack (13)+10 = 23
    Damage (5)(7)(6) = 18

Scratch the Ray of Frost - had used it to dash...

End of Wizard
    Turn awaiting confirmation on Lair/Legendary actions.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-12 at 09:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

I'm assuming if the Wizard Dashes and Misty Steps he can get LOS and be maybe 30ft away from the Lich? If so that's what he does.

I guess with his action he's going to use ray of frost.

Attack (13)+10 = 23
    Damage (5)(7)(6) = 18

Scratch the Ray of Frost - had used it to dash...

End of Wizard
    Turn awaiting confirmation on Lair/Legendary actions.
    Yep, that's alright. You're now 30ft away from the Lich and its now the Fighter's turn.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, that's alright. You're now 30ft away from the Lich and its now the Fighter's turn.
    Fighter moves to that position 100ft away that you previously mentioned and attacks with action surge and bonus action attack (no superiority dice)

Attack
    (9)+10 = 19
    (10)+10 = 20
    (10)+10 = 20
    (14)+10 = 24
    (1)+10 = 11
    (13)+10 = 23
    (12)+10 = 22

Damage (for all attacks but the 1 auto miss)
    (5)+18 = 23
    (1)+18 = 19
    (6)+18 = 24
    (1)+18 = 19
    (1)+18 = 19
    (3)+18 = 21

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Fighter moves to that position 100ft away that you previously mentioned and attacks with action surge and bonus action attack (no superiority dice)

Attack
    (9)+10 = 19
    (10)+10 = 20
    (10)+10 = 20
    (14)+10 = 24
    (1)+10 = 11
    (13)+10 = 23
    (12)+10 = 22

Damage (for all attacks but the 1 auto miss)
    (5)+18 = 23
    (1)+18 = 19
    (6)+18 = 24
    (1)+18 = 19
    (1)+18 = 19
    (3)+18 = 21
    Sorry for my absence. I'd also like to mention how stupid I feel because I shot myself in the foot, figuratively of course. I mentioned I'd play smart but I made a mistake that kinda ruined the point of the exercise. I said I'd play like a smart DM but I completely forgot what a crucial ability did and I'm definitely paying the price now. Oh well, maybe I can retry with someone else if you're, understandably, not willing to try again. I'm not completely out of the game yet, but this mistake definitely put me in this current predicament and I'm still beating myself up over it lol.

Anyways, putting that aside, back to the game.

Five of the arrows puncture her leathery skin. A disgusting gray ichor spews from her mouth. She says something, but she's silenced. She definitely doesn't look amused, though.

She points at the wizard and suddenly, a shadowy apparition appears behind them. Make a constitution saving throw for the wizard.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for my absence. I'd also like to mention how stupid I feel because I shot myself in the foot, figuratively of course. I mentioned I'd play smart but I made a mistake that kinda ruined the point of the exercise. I said I'd play like a smart DM but I completely forgot what a crucial ability did and I'm definitely paying the price now. Oh well, maybe I can retry with someone else if you're, understandably, not willing to try again. I'm not completely out of the game yet, but this mistake definitely put me in this current predicament and I'm still beating myself up over it lol.

Anyways, putting that aside, back to the game.

Five of the arrows puncture her leathery skin. A disgusting gray ichor spews from her mouth. She says something, but she's silenced. She definitely doesn't look amused, though.

She points at the wizard and suddenly, a shadowy apparition appears behind them. Make a constitution saving throw for the wizard.
    No problem. We can run the same fight a 2nd time after.

Constitution Saving throw (15)+9 = 24

Let me know when it's the clerics turn.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

No problem. We can run the same fight a 2nd time after.

Constitution Saving throw (15)+9 = 24

Let me know when it's the clerics turn.
    I won't show the entire roll, but it was 15d6 necrotic damage on the wizard, rolled [42] and took half.

So your wizard takes 21 necrotic damage.

She then gazes frighteningly at the barbarian, roll a Wisdom save for the barbarian.

I'm doing this because her tactics change based on whether these things hit or miss.
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-13 at 09:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I won't show the entire roll, but it was 15d6 necrotic damage on the wizard, rolled [42] and took half.

So your wizard takes 21 necrotic damage.

She then gazes frighteningly at the barbarian, roll a Wisdom save for the barbarian.

I'm doing this because her tactics change based on whether these things hit or miss.
    No problem. I trust your running fairly.

Wis save (19)+5 = 24

Dang I'm getting some good saves.

By the way, let me know if something is a spell as the wizard may attempt to counterspell it.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

No problem. I trust your running fairly.

Wis save (19)+5 = 24

Dang I'm getting some good saves.

By the way, let me know if something is a spell as the wizard may attempt to counterspell it.
    I'll let you know if a spell comes up.

For now, though, she's visibly annoyed. She takes the dodge action and moves within 10ft of the wizard. You can make your opportunity attack against her from the Barbarian.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll let you know if a spell comes up.

For now, though, she's visibly annoyed. She takes the dodge action and moves within 10ft of the wizard. You can make your opportunity attack against her from the Barbarian.
    (9)(4)+12 = 16

Pretty sure the Barbarian Misses

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

(9)(4)+12 = 16

Pretty sure the Barbarian Misses
    They do, its now the cleric's turn.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

They do, its now the cleric's turn.
    Barbarian is after Lich in iniative and then Cleric last.

Barbarian moves to the Lich and attacks him the first attack is a grapple attempt

(17)+14 = 31 ...I'm pretty sure that grapples her

He then drags her back into the silence

He then attacks her twice (has 3 attack because haste)

(4)(5)+12 = 16 (Misses)
    (9)(13)+12 = 21

Damage for the presumable hit
    (2)+7 = 9

***Note the wizard couldn't have failed the DC 10 Concentration save caused by the 21 damage as he has a +9 to Con saves.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-13 at 10:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

Barbarian is after Lich in iniative and then Cleric last.

Barbarian moves to the Lich and attacks him the first attack is a grapple attempt

(17)+14 = 31 ...I'm pretty sure that grapples her

He then drags her back into the silence

He then attacks her twice (has 3 attack because haste)

(4)(5)+12 = 16 (Misses)
    (9)(13)+12 = 21

Damage for the presumable hit
    (2)+7 = 9

***Note the wizard couldn't have failed the DC 10 Concentration save caused by the 21 damage as he has a +9 to Con saves.
    The lich casts shield, protecting her from the second blow which would have hit her. Next, she aims a Ray of Frost at the wizard, her aim is shaky due to the barbarian grappling her.

[11][18]+12=23

The damage is [5]+[5]+[4]+[7] = 21.

You are free to counterspell either spell.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The lich casts shield, protecting her from the second blow which would have hit her. Next, she aims a Ray of Frost at the wizard, her aim is shaky due to the barbarian grappling her.

[11][18]+12=23

The damage is [5]+[5]+[4]+[7] = 21.

You are free to counterspell either spell.
    Just making sure you saw. He dragged her back into the zone of silence before continuing his attacks.