New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lich Mock Trial

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Lich Mock Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Frogreaver View Post
    Just making sure you saw. He dragged her back into the zone of silence before continuing his attacks.
    Missed that. One of the cons of doing ToTM. Meh, instead she uses her gaze on the rogue again. Make another wisdom save.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asisreo1 View Post
    Missed that. One of the cons of doing ToTM. Meh, instead she uses her gaze on the rogue again. Make another wisdom save.
    I like TOTM much better than a grid and token/mini (but TOTM works better live i think)

(1)+5 = 6 Failed Save

3. - Top - End - #33

BlackDragon

I like TOTM much better than a grid and token/mini (but TOTM works better live i think)

(1)+5 = 6 Failed Save
    Ah, it doesn't matter. You saved once and its an effect that you're immune to for 24 hours after a success. Grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter, though.

Its the cleric's turn.

*sigh* I definitely should have sat down for this fight and not try multitasking it. Thought I could handle it but apparently I'm making too many dumb errors.
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-13 at 11:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, it doesn't matter. You saved once and its an effect that you're immune to for 24 hours after a success. Grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter, though.

Its the cleric's turn.
    The cleric previously was about 90 ft away. If she can move to where she's 60 ft away she will do that and cast sacred flame. If not she'll dash and move as 35ft or whatever away.

Damage (6)(1)(5) = 12

Dex Save required DC 18

5. - Top - End - #35

BlackDragon

The cleric previously was about 90 ft away. If she can move to where she's 60 ft away she will do that and cast sacred flame. If not she'll dash and move as 35ft or whatever away.

Damage (6)(1)(5) = 12

Dex Save required DC 18
    Yep, you're able to get within 60ft of her. She attempts to dodge the sacred flame.
    [17]+3=20
    And she narrowly avoids the descending flame.
    It is now the wizard's turn.
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-14 at 06:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, you're able to get within 60ft of her. She attempts to dodge the sacred flame.
    [17]+3=20
    And she narrowly avoids the descending flame.
    It is now the wizard's turn.
    The wizard bursts into laughter seeing the Lich's predicament. He can barely compose himself enough to cast firebolt at the dodging Lich.

Attack
    (8)(20)+10 = 18

Damage
    (10)+(7)+(9) = 26

The Wizard's turn is over.

7. - Top - End - #37

BlackDragon

The wizard bursts into laughter seeing the Lich's predicament. He can barely compose himself enough to cast firebolt at the dodging Lich.

Attack
    (8)(20)+10 = 18

Damage
    (10)+(7)+(9) = 26

The Wizard's turn is over.
    She casts counterspell at 6th level. You can counter-counter that.

Otherwise, its the Fighter's turn.
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-14 at 07:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Psst - You lose the benefits of the Dodge action while you're incapacitated or your Speed is 0 - Such as a result of being Grappled.
    No effect yet, since all of the bad rolls have been the first ones. But it's notable.
    (Yeah, you're discouraged from posting in these threads as a non-player, but this is less a campaign and more an experiment.)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Tellah View Post
    Psst - You lose the benefits of the Dodge action while you're incapacitated or your Speed is 0 - Such as a result of being Grappled.
    No effect yet, since all of the bad rolls have been the first ones. But it's notable.
    (Yeah, you're discouraged from posting in these threads as a non-player, but this is less a campaign and more an experiment.)
    Thanks, I never realized 0 speed caused dodge to end.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

She casts counterspell at 6th level. You can counter-counter that.

Otherwise, its the Fighter's turn.
    No Counterspell. The Fighter Attacks 4 times. (** indicates precision attack)

Attacks
    (17)+10 = 27
    (16)+10 = 26
    (4)(**8)+10 = 22
    (20)+10 = 30

Damage
    (1)+18 = 19
    (4)+18 = 22
    (2)+18 = 20
    (2)+(2)+18 = 22

11. - Top - End - #41

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Tellah View Post
    Yep, I understood that. It was kinda annoying to be grappled.

Honestly, the worst of the combat was resilient giving a buff against weak saves and multiclassing which definitely gives access to good synergies of skills and features. Its a big reason why I don't allow multiclassing, since these builds would barely be possible otherwise.

The fighter did the damage, but it was the cleric's silence spell combined with the expertise on the rogue's athletics that prevented movement spells and, more importantly, shield. Wizard dispelled magic and held onto the hasted barbarian but otherwise didn't do too much.

I also made a huge mistake at the beginning of the fight, and I'm still not over it. I also scrambled a bit in the end. But actually, I'm satisfied with the fact she still died roughly by round 3, even if its at the start, considering my mistake. I knew she wasn't going to win, especially during this combat.

Frogreaver, if you're ready and if you'd like, we can start the next combat.

12. - Top - End - #42

BlackDragon

No Counterspell. The Fighter Attacks 4 times. (** indicates precision attack)

Attacks
    (17)+10 = 27
    (16)+10 = 26
    (4)(**8)+10 = 22
    (20)+10 = 30

Damage
    (1)+18 = 19
    (4)+18 = 22
    (2)+18 = 20
    (2)+(2)+18 = 22
    The first arrow zips towards her, puncturing where her heart would be. The dark green ooze gushes out of the wound. She goes to her knees and hold the wound.

"Damn, mortals. My glory! My empire! Be warned, I'll crawl back from oblivion to exact my revenge on you petty warriors! You have my word!"

The next arrow hits her in her chest, knocking her back and releasing the latent necrotic energy that was keeping her undead. Her skin finally begins to fall off her yellow bones and dissolve into dust. The blood becomes a sickly leftover pile of sludge. The scent if horrifying, and yellow-green vapors emanate from her body.

That's the end of the combat. I'd like to apologize that I made a large error in the game and am asking you to replay, considering I spent some of your time. I'm still satisfied with the combat, though. Well played!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The first arrow zips towards her, puncturing where her heart would be. The dark green ooze gushes out of the wound. She goes to her knees and hold the wound.

"Damn, mortals. My glory! My empire! Be warned, I'll crawl back from oblivion to exact my revenge on you petty warriors! You have my word!"

The next arrow hits her in her chest, knocking her back and releasing the latent necrotic energy that was keeping her undead. Her skin finally begins to fall off her yellow bones and dissolve into dust. The blood becomes a sickly leftover pile of sludge. The scent if horrifying, and yellow-green vapors emanate from her body.

That's the end of the combat. I'd like to apologize that I made a large error in the game and am asking you to replay, considering I spent some of your time. I'm still satisfied with the combat, though. Well played!
    Thanks and it's No problem. One of the hardest things to do as DM is running characters you aren't familiar with mechanically. That's one reason I chose characters I'd played before (not this high of level but it helps). I'd like to rerun it as well. She's a Lich, she's supposed to come back afterall ;)

I'll go ahead and roll initiatives.

Archer (5)+5 = 10
    Barbarian (7)+2 = 9
    Wizard (8)+2 = 10
    Cleric (18)+2 = 20

Can I ask how you are going to handle the tied initiatives?

Oh and feel free to change up initial buff spells or anything. I don't plan to with my team, but your not beholden to make any of the same choices this time around.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-15 at 07:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

BlackDragon

Thanks and it's No problem. One of the hardest things to do as DM is running characters you aren't familiar with mechanically. That's one reason I chose characters I'd played before (not this high of level but it helps). I'd like to rerun it as well. She's a Lich, she's supposed to come back afterall ;)

I'll go ahead and roll initiatives.

Archer (5)+5 = 10
    Barbarian (7)+2 = 9
    Wizard (8)+2 = 10
    Cleric (18)+2 = 20

Can I ask how you are going to handle the tied initiatives?

Oh and feel free to change up initial buff spells or anything. I don't plan to with my team, but your not beholden to make any of the same choices this time around.
    Her initiative is [15]+3=18. Its been a while since I ran an unmodified lich.

I always do ties: if its P-on-P, they get to decide (its your choice). If its P-on-DM, the player always goes first. Lair actions lose initiative, always.

Okay, so starting again.

At the back of the throne room, there is an undead woman. She is leaning back on the chair, an illusion of three duplicates of her are shifting and moving around her, as if you're looking at her with double-vision. A faintly shimmering barrier surrounds her.

"Ah yes, my guests. I've been expecting you. Congratulations on making it this far. As a reward, I will feed your souls to my new phylactery once its done and your bodies will serve me for eternity."

She stands up and gets in a combative stance. She's ready to fight!

Its the cleric's turn.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Her initiative is [15]+3=18. Its been a while since I ran an unmodified lich.

I always do ties: if its P-on-P, they get to decide (its your choice). If its P-on-DM, the player always goes first. Lair actions lose initiative, always.

Okay, so starting again.

At the back of the throne room, there is an undead woman. She is leaning back on the chair, an illusion of three duplicates of her are shifting and moving around her, as if you're looking at her with double-vision. A faintly shimmering barrier surrounds her.

"Ah yes, my guests. I've been expecting you. Congratulations on making it this far. As a reward, I will feed your souls to my new phylactery once its done and your bodies will serve me for eternity."

She stands up and gets in a combative stance. She's ready to fight!

Its the cleric's turn.
    Cleric casts sanctuary on the wizard. She takes the dodge Action and moves forward 30 ft. Her turn is over.

Not that it changes much but she is a dwarf so it’s only 25ft.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-15 at 08:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

Cleric casts sanctuary on the wizard. She takes the dodge Action and moves forward 30 ft. Her turn is over.
    Energy zips into the lich as a lair action. It seems she's recovered some of her magical essence.

She grins. "Now, let the flames of the underworld free you from your life!"

She casts Fireball at 5th-level. Is it fair to say everyone's within the AoE of this fireball?

Have everyone make a dexterity saving throw, with the cleric having advantage due to their dodge action. They take 31 damage on a failure, with 15 damage on success. (Man, will I ever roll damage above the average?)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Energy zips into the lich as a lair action. It seems she's recovered some of her magical essence.

She grins. "Now, let the flames of the underworld free you from your life!"

She casts Fireball at 5th-level. Is it fair to say everyone's within the AoE of this fireball?

Have everyone make a dexterity saving throw, with the cleric having advantage due to their dodge action. They take 31 damage on a failure, with 15 damage on success. (Man, will I ever roll damage above the average?)
    Fighter (14)(2*)+5 = 21 (believe pass)
    Wizard (19)(4*)+2 = 25 (believe pass)
    Cleric (2)(3)(2*)+2 = 7 (believe fail)
    Barbarian (15)(14)(4*)+2 = 21 (believe pass) ****Had advantage due to level 2 class feature

Fighter takes 15 damage
    Wizard takes 15 damage (not enough to fail concentration save)
    Cleric takes 31 damage. DC 15 Concentration Save (3)(4*)+9 = 16. Passes save.
    Barbarian takes 15 damage

18. - Top - End - #48

BlackDragon

Fighter (14)(2*)+5 = 21 (believe pass)
    Wizard (19)(4*)+2 = 25 (believe pass)
    Cleric (2)(3)(2*)+2 = 7 (believe fail)
    Barbarian (15)(14)(4*)+2 = 21 (believe pass) ****Had advantage due to level 2 class feature

Fighter takes 15 damage
    Wizard takes 15 damage (not enough to fail concentration save)
    Cleric takes 31 damage. DC 15 Concentration Save (3)(4*)+9 = 16. Passes save.
    Barbarian takes 15 damage
    Alright, you can have either the archer or the wizard go next (the order will be locked for subsequent rounds).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, you can have either the archer or the wizard go next (the order will be locked for subsequent rounds).
    Wizard goes.

He walks up behind the cleric (assuming costs 20 ft of movement) and casts dimension door teleporting them both to adjacent with the Lich’s side.

Cleric glares at him saying, But our friends needed healed!

Wizard replied, just stop Ms Lich from doing any more harm and you can heal them after.

The wizard then uses his remaining movement to get to the other side of the Lich.

The wizards turn is over.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-15 at 09:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

BlackDragon

Wizard goes.

He walks up behind the cleric (assuming costs 20 ft of movement) and casts dimension door teleporting them both to adjacent with the Lich’s side.

Cleric glares at him saying, But our friends needed healed!

Wizard replied, just stop Ms Lich from doing any more harm and you can heal them after.

The wizard then uses his remaining movement to get to the other side of the Lich.

The wizards turn is over.
    "What foolishness is this?" The lich looks quite a bit surprised to see you surround her.

She goes to touch the wizard.

[16]+12=28
    The cold touch of the lich chills the wizard to his very bones. He must make a DC 18 consitution saving throw or be paralyzed. He also takes [6]+[6]+[4]=16 cold damage. *I had used the wrong dice.

It is then the archer's turn.
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-15 at 09:49 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

"What foolishness is this?" The lich looks quite a bit surprised to see you surround her.

She goes to touch the wizard.

[16]+12=28
    The cold touch of the lich chills the wizard to his very bones. He must make a DC 18 consitution saving throw or be paralyzed. He also takes [3]+[8]+[4]=15 cold damage.

It is then the archer's turn.
    The wizard smiles knowing he still has sanctuary upon him. Roll a wisdom save. DC 18. On a fail you can target the cleric (at disadvantage if this is an attack due to dodge)
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-15 at 09:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

BlackDragon

The wizard smiles knowing he still has sanctuary upon him. Roll a wisdom save. DC 18. On a fail you can target the cleric (at disadvantage if this is an attack due to dodge)
    [18]+9=27 passes the wisdom save.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

[18]+9=27 passes the wisdom save.
    (9)(*4)+9 = 22 passes the save

Wizard has now taken a total of 31 damage. Losing Concentration due to this attack was never in jeopardy.

The fighter will move forward 30ft and attack with action surge. Using -5/+10 on all attacks. Will post the attacks in a moment.

Attacks
    (10)(4*)+10 = 24
    (18)(3*)+10 = 31
    (5)(2*)+10 = 17
    (17)(1*)+10 = 28
    (10)(2*)+10 = 22
    (17)(4*)+10 = 31
    (14)(1*)+10 = 25

On one of the attacks that hits and he uses maneuvering attack allowing the Barbarian to use his reaction and move half his speed which is 40ft due to haste. Due to the mirror images assume this is used on the 2nd to last attack as I think it's possible it could target 1 of them. The Barbarian does this and moves 40ft closer to the lich.

Damage Rolls in order
    (6)+18 = 24
    (1)+18 = 19
    (2)+18 = 20
    (1)+18 = 19
    (6)+18 = 24
    (3)+(4*)+18 = 25
    (2)+18 = 20

Don't forget the concentration checks for the hits assuming she's concentrating on anything.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-15 at 10:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

BlackDragon

Wizard has now taken a total of 31 damage. Losing Concentration due to this attack was never in jeopardy.

The fighter will move forward 30ft and attack with action surge. Using -5/+10 on all attacks. Will post the attacks in a moment.

Attacks
    (10)(4*)+10 = 24
    (18)(3*)+10 = 31
    (5)(2*)+10 = 17
    (17)(1*)+10 = 28
    (10)(2*)+10 = 22
    (17)(4*)+10 = 31
    (14)(1*)+10 = 25

On one of the attacks that hits and he uses maneuvering attack allowing the Barbarian to use his reaction and move half his speed which is 40ft due to haste. Due to the mirror images assume this is used on the 2nd to last attack as I think it's possible it could target 1 of them. The Barbarian does this and moves 40ft closer to the lich.

Damage Rolls in order
    (6)+18 = 24
    (1)+18 = 19
    (2)+18 = 20
    (1)+18 = 19
    (6)+18 = 24
    (3)+(4*)+18 = 25
    (2)+18 = 20

Don't forget the concentration checks for the hits assuming she's concentrating on anything.
    Roll for duplicates:
    [9]The first arrow hits a duplicate.
    [15]the second arrow hits a duplicate
    [17]the third arrow hits a duplicate

The fourth arrow hits for 19 damage.

As the fifth arrow launches, she casts a 5th-level shield on herself. Deflecting the arrow.

The 6th and 7th arrow hits for 56 damage. The lich then casts Ray of Frost at the fighter, with disadvantage on the fighter, because of the cleric and wizard.

[3][6]+12=15, assuming that misses.

She passes the checks for the 4th and 7th arrow automatically.

6th arrow conc. Check: [19]+10=29
    Last edited by Asisreo1; 2021-09-15 at 10:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Roll for duplicates:
    [9]The first arrow hits a duplicate.
    [15]the second arrow hits a duplicate
    [17]the third arrow hits a duplicate

The fourth arrow hits for 19 damage.

As the fifth arrow launches, she casts a 5th-level shield on herself. Deflecting the arrow.

The 6th and 7th arrow hits for 56 damage. The lich then casts Ray of Frost at the fighter, with disadvantage on the fighter, because of the cleric and wizard.

[3][6]+12=15, assuming that misses.

She passes the checks for the 4th and 7th arrow automatically.

6th arrow conc. Check: [19]+10=29
    The cleric not knowing it's a 5th level shield casts counterspell on it (ring of spell storing). DC 15. (12)+5 = 17. She counterspells the shield. (Should lead to an additional attack or 2 that hits her).

The fighter is missed by Ray of Frost.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-15 at 10:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

BlackDragon

The cleric not knowing it's a 5th level shield casts counterspell on it (ring of spell storing). DC 15. (12)+5 = 17. She counterspells the shield. (Should lead to an additional attack or 2 that hits her).

The fighter is missed by Ray of Frost.
    The fifth attack hits as well, doing an extra 24 damage. Its the Barbarian's turn.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yep, I understood that. It was kinda annoying to be grappled.

Honestly, the worst of the combat was resilient giving a buff against weak saves and multiclassing which definitely gives access to good synergies of skills and features. Its a big reason why I don't allow multiclassing, since these builds would barely be possible otherwise.

The fighter did the damage, but it was the cleric's silence spell combined with the expertise on the rogue's athletics that prevented movement spells and, more importantly, shield. Wizard dispelled magic and held onto the hasted barbarian but otherwise didn't do too much.

I also made a huge mistake at the beginning of the fight, and I'm still not over it. I also scrambled a bit in the end. But actually, I'm satisfied with the fact she still died roughly by round 3, even if its at the start, considering my mistake. I knew she wasn't going to win, especially during this combat.

Frogreaver, if you're ready and if you'd like, we can start the next combat.
    After your done I have a table who's party is at lv 13 that doesn't have multiclassing as an option, don't have access to spell storing rings, and the only "full' caster is a warlock so it would be a completely different approach to the same challenge. Could easily fit them up to be closer to RAW and toss them out using tactics they regularly use. I'm really curious because I almost never use single target combat encounters.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

The fifth attack hits as well, doing an extra 24 damage. Its the Barbarian's turn.
    80 Damage total done to the Lich. Nice!.

The Barbarian uses Cunning Action to bonus action Dash. He moves 110ft up to the Lich and Attacks. His first attack is a grapple (8)+14 -> (10)+14 = 24 from Reliable Talent.

He then makes 2 attacks (1 from extra attack, one from haste)
    (18)+12 = 30
    (18)+12 = 30

Damage
    (1)(1)(2)(3)(2)(3)(5)+7 = 24
    (5)+7 = 12

Now 116 Damage Total done to the Lich.

Concentration Check if required

He then drags the Lich with his remaining 50ft movement to a point 5ft away from the Wizard and at least 5ft away from the Cleric.
    Last edited by Frogreaver; 2021-09-15 at 11:19 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

BlackDragon

Ah, quick note. The wizard is no longer under the effects of bless.

30. - Top - End - #60

BlackDragon

80 Damage total done to the Lich. Nice!.

The Barbarian uses Cunning Action to bonus action Dash. He moves 110ft up to the Lich and Attacks. His first attack is a grapple (8)+14 -> (10)+14 = 24 from Reliable Talent.

He then makes 2 attacks (1 from extra attack, one from haste)
    (18)+12 = 30
    (18)+12 = 30

Damage
    (1)(1)(2)(3)(2)(3)(5)+7 = 24
    (5)+7 = 12

Now 116 Damage Total done to the Lich.

Concentration Check if required

He then drags the Lich with his remaining 50ft movement to a point 5ft away from the Wizard and at least 5ft away from the Cleric.
    So, when he enters the shimmering sphere, he doesn't have enough movement to get close enough to grapple or perform melee attacks because haste becomes suppressed. By my calculations, that would be 40ft from the base movement, 80 from haste, and 160ft from CA dash. But when he enters the sphere, haste undoubles your speed and he goes back down to 80ft.

So he stops roughly 10ft from the lich. He still has his action, though.