Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Past the Goblin Wall OOC

Recruitment Post:
    IC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    The Pitch:
    Under vicious attack by the southern barbarian tribes, the lands of the Verdammte landed on their only possible hope: Fortifying the Goblin Wall, so named for the creatures within the woods behind it. However, to the north a Dark Sorceress has whipped the normally nonviolent, though still mischievous, goblins into an army, stopping all progress to defend Verdammte. The Papst needs somebody who can get past these goblins to the Sorceress...

Spoiler: Setting Info
    Show

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    The Kirche has, starting about ten years ago, begun taking a more active role in making sure the lands of Verdammte are pure. It was through our complacence, the Papst insists, that the Bright Ones lost favor with us and allowed the Southern Invaders to approach.
    There are seven Bright Ones, and only one Dark One, who in fear of the Bright Ones has hidden off in the corner, only acting by creating the dark creatures, the goblins, or empowering Sorcerers to fight its battles. The Kirche is in service to the Bright, and keeps the land pure.
    It was only ten years ago that the Kirche released their proclamation against Goblins and Hedgewitches, who had been part of many villages as a welcome and helpful addition to the community. This was remedied by sending the goblins north of the Goblin Wall into the Goblin Wood, and by drowning the hedgewitches as sorcerers, for their dying breath was a lethal thing.

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    Bordered on either side by mountain ranges, the Verdammte is a long, vast land, with rolling plains to the south and rich soil in the north. At the very northmost tip of the Verdammte's lands was the Goblin Wall, built to keep the goblins out at the narrowest point between the twin mountain ranges. North of it was the Goblin Wood, a twisted, innavigable forest where the Shadow-Touched Goblins lived.

Spoiler: Society
    Show

The Hierarchy, headed over by the König, rules Verdammte. Recently the König's public appearances have gone lower, only seen in daily mass and leaving his advisors to speak to the laity in his old age.
    A feudalistic farming society, the nobles make up much of the Hierarchy, though ultimately the authority rests in the Divinely Chosen König, and twice per year he may act without the authority of the council so long as he has the backing of the Papst.

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running?
    5e D&D.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game?
    Homebrew setting, I was asked for a grim world so I introduce to you, Verdammte, a land under attack.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4 people have expressed interest so far, so 4 seems to be the number.

4. What's the gaming medium?
    Play-by-post, right here in the Playground.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    PCs will start at 3rd level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    That which is provided by class and background.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Tasha's is, I think, an overall positive to the game. That being said, I will put it in the "Ask first" pile with the homebrew and setting-specific stuff.

Books for available use:
    Player's Handbook
    Volo's Guide to Monsters
    Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Ask First:
    Elemental Evil
    Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
    Tasha's Cauldron of Everything
    Homebrew

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    In the grim setting there will be a certain weird backstory thing I'm going to do. You are not beginning as outright fugitives and therefore those of you outside the Human, Elf and Dwarf area are legally Aasimar. This has no mechanical consequence. Whether this is a recent decision by the Kirche when they decided they needed you or has been the case for awhile is up to you.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    28-point buy for ability scores. Aaaand follow the PHB rules.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    I will read your alignment, and take it into account. Ultimately this game will assume that you all want to do the right thing.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    I do generally allow multiclassing. I've knocked around a few rules in my head like "homebrew OR multiclassing" but I put all the stuff for that in the ask first bin so that it would only come up when it came up.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    If you’re forcing a save against someone else, roll in your post to speed things up – can apply modifiers later. I’ll be doing the same. Other than that, roll the dice on here.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    I could take suggestions for right here. I doubt we'll reach the levels where it matters but the "if you cast a bonus action spell the only spell you can cast on your turn is a cantrip unless the moon is in two phases" rule is just so... complicated and dumb so I'm simplifying it down to "one leveled spell per turn." Virtually the same in most cases, prevents a certain level of "counterspell counterspell counterspell" shenanigans.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how long? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Please provide character backgrounds! Ultimately, Verdammte is a farming town where the nobility of its knights and loyalty of its footmen are stressed.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    I might just be old and tired of noise but in chapter one's design I have made an effort to make Exploration and Roleplay the most important pillars. I'm sure you hypothetically could brute force your way through because system but that's not what the adventure is designed around.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Reposting
    Books for available use:
    Player's Handbook
    Volo's Guide to Monsters
    Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Ask First:
    Elemental Evil
    Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
    Tasha's Cauldron of Everything
    Homebrew
    Could people place what they have on their characters so far in their first posts please?
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-09-14 at 10:20 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Past the Goblin Wall OOC

The Three Eckenhoots – Gerhardt, Lottie and Peter – were a group of traveling performers. Peter was at once the most gregarious and least talented of the three, except in kitchens, where he had both strong natural talent and significant magical cleverness. For the few days that they visited a town, they’d turn a tavern (or guild hall or outdoor area) into a place of delights. Profits would be shared between them and the tavern owners, and they’d leave town with more gold than they brought.

Eventually they settled in Glaenzender, acquiring a location for what was planned to be the grandest tavern in Verdammte, to be combined with a party/catering business so as to broaden their potential customer reach. Making this succeed required extremely hard work, and not necessarily of the kinds they most enjoyed. For a while, Peter was actually the happiest of the siblings in the business, as he perfected menus and recipes, and figured out how to successfully sell their services to new kinds of customer. But eventually he was just doing things he could train others to do in his place. Besides, while his siblings had both started families, he was still single and free to move on. So it was time for a career change.

Leaving his share of the partnership invested in the business, Peter decided to return to the road. His plans included:
    • Returning to the old business of being a traveling visiting chef.
    • Exploring for ways to trade between regions and localities in food or drink items, and looking for recipe ideas to make use of preserved foods that travel well.
    • Generally looking for recipe ideas.
    • Perhaps also trading in small, unusual items that have nothing to do with food.

But before he could get very far down those paths, our story started …

The current state of the Creation Bard Peter Eckenhoot's character sheet may be seen at https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2518385 I'm not planning to have him know many Druid spells because our party does, in fact, include a Druid.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Character sheet in quote above.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Herr David von Laxengraf

David has recently returned to Verdammte after a few years abroad, where he met with some success as a tournament competitor, student of magic and knight errant. However, his unalloyed joy at returning to his home town has not entirely been met in kind. He has so far been rather oblivious to the consternation that his stories of great mages and their teachings has brought to his friends and (extensive) family. A dangerous mission is just the thing to put his skills to use and get him out of town for a while.

David is easygoing and kind. For someone who craves knowledge of the world around him, he often seems distinctly unaware of what is going on.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, 3 players is weird at this stage but I will open us up woth an In-Character thread tonight.
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.

6. - Top - End - #6

BardGuy

Alright, 3 players is weird at this stage but I will open us up woth an In-Character thread tonight.
    Possibly the first roll I'll make is a Insight check to see what Peter thinks the questgiver may be leaving out. Probably he'll ask Daisy first for help (Guidance/Enhance Ability).

Is this the kind of thing you want us to roll ourselves, or do you want to make Insight rolls in secret?

Also, if we're low on players and my character can't fight well, would you care to houserule me a more damaging cantrip, CHA-based? In another game I proposed Mind Sliver (CHA-based) as the Half-Elf Versatility racial feature. It does slightly more damage than Vicious Mockery and also makes other spells more likely to land.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-14 at 09:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I can handle a smaller party more easily in fact, I'm just a bit worried over losing momentum. But that can happen with four people too.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

I can handle a smaller party more easily in fact, I'm just a bit worried over losing momentum. But that can happen with four people too.
    The smaller the better, IMO. The fewer people you have, the fewer obstacles there are to PbP progress.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

I haven't played here for a looooong time -- I think it's 11 years -- so I forget the mechanics.

A. Where should we roll, when the time comes? In the IC thread?

B. I don't see any clever way to put in [roll] tags through the UI. Is it just a choice between typing out the tags and copy/pasting?

Not a problem keeping the main diceroll strings on other documents and pasting/editing them as needed. I'm just checking whether that's indeed the way to do it.

-----------------------------------------------

If I understand the setting correctly, goblins used to live among us until they were expelled. (A decade ago?) So we know quite a bit about them, right? Like what?

[Apologies for stringing together unrelated subjects in the same post, but forum rules as I read them are that we should do that unless there's a VERY good reason to separate subjects more normally.]
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-15 at 11:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Generally, I put rolls in an OOC spoiler in the post that needs them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolls go here.

If you mess up the rolls, make an OOC thread post with the correct ones.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Got it.

Still hoping for goblin lore.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I haven't played here for a looooong time -- I think it's 11 years -- so I forget the mechanics.

A. Where should we roll, when the time comes? In the IC thread?

B. I don't see any clever way to put in [roll] tags through the UI. Is it just a choice between typing out the tags and copy/pasting?

Not a problem keeping the main diceroll strings on other documents and pasting/editing them as needed. I'm just checking whether that's indeed the way to do it.

-----------------------------------------------

If I understand the setting correctly, goblins used to live among us until they were expelled. (A decade ago?) So we know quite a bit about them, right? Like what?

[Apologies for stringing together unrelated subjects in the same post, but forum rules as I read them are that we should do that unless there's a VERY good reason to separate subjects more normally.]
    Well, goblins had a society strongly based around exchanges. Gardeners would often leave milk out overnight, and goblins would make their orchards grow strong with their magic. It was said that a town full of empty milk bowls was a happy one.
    But if a goblin was slighted, they would exact vengeance in whatever way they deemed until they were appeased. Particularly loyal goblins would hunt down thieves in the houses of their... regular clients, so to speak, for miles and miles, passing along word of the thief to the goblins of the next neighborhood. They are good at slipping away and going unseen, and tended to keep to themselves in their own smaller settlements. Many goblins lived in the Goblin Wood before the other goblins were driven there, goblins rumored to practice mysterious and dark magic.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Well, goblins had a society strongly based around exchanges. Gardeners would often leave milk out overnight, and goblins would make their orchards grow strong with their magic. It was said that a town full of empty milk bowls was a happy one.
    But if a goblin was slighted, they would exact vengeance in whatever way they deemed until they were appeased. Particularly loyal goblins would hunt down thieves in the houses of their... regular clients, so to speak, for miles and miles, passing along word of the thief to the goblins of the next neighborhood. They are good at slipping away and going unseen, and tended to keep to themselves in their own smaller settlements. Many goblins lived in the Goblin Wood before the other goblins were driven there, goblins rumored to practice mysterious and dark magic.
    So this was mainly an unspoken/unseen relationship? How extremely true is that? Is my well-traveled, friendly character likely to have actually spoken with goblins a couple of times in the past, or not? Is he likely to have met and talked with other people who have done so?

If I understand correctly, I'd like to slightly modify my character sheet, in particular to add Detect Thoughts to spells known. Also, do you have any thoughts on the cantrip question I asked in Post #6?
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-15 at 10:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

I'm playing a bard, specifically from the College of Creation. One thing bards do is give Bardic Inspiration dice to other players. So we probably could use a reference as to how those work.

The generic rules for Bardic Inspiration, class Levels 1-4, are

... you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6.

Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Bardic Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time.
    My character can currently do this 3x times/long rest.

Further, the College of Creation gives ADDITIONAL benefits to using as die, as follows:

Ability Check. When the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an ability check, the creature can roll the Bardic Inspiration die again and choose which roll to use, as the mote pops and emits colorful, harmless sparks for a moment.

Attack Roll. Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an attack roll against a target, the mote thunderously shatters. The target and each creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or take thunder damage equal to the number rolled on the Bardic Inspiration die.

Saving Throw. Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die and adds it to a saving throw, the mote vanishes with the sound of soft music, causing the creature to gain temporary hit points equal to the number rolled on the Bardic Inspiration die plus your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 temporary hit point).
    My CHA modifier is currently +3.

Finally, there's an optional rule for the DM to (dis)approve, which extends the options for benefitting from a die to spell effects too:

At 2nd level, if a creature has a Bardic Inspiration die from you and casts a spell that restores hit points or deals damage, the creature can roll that die and choose a target affected by the spell. Add the number rolled as a bonus to the hit points regained or the damage dealt. The Bardic Inspiration die is then lost.
    http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/bard
    http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/bard:creation
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-18 at 07:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Whoops, screwed up that roll. Let me try this again.
    Spoiler: 2nd roll
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13]

17. - Top - End - #17

Don't have a ton to say IC at the moment. The other peep has the words well covered. :P

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Same, but I am having fun playing an explicitly ditzy character. I'm gonna just keep getting distracted by pointless bits of trivia. Although my Intelligence rolls are not turning out as well as I'd hoped.

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCowbird View Post
    Same, but I am having fun playing an explicitly ditzy character. I'm gonna just keep getting distracted by pointless bits of trivia. Although my Intelligence rolls are not turning out as well as I'd hoped.
    The "interesting rock" line was classic. :)

In other news -- do you guys want to RP anything as I pass out Bardic Inspiration, or should I just do it mechanically? I'm playing a subclass that doesn't have uses for it EXCEPT to hand out to allies, and there are 2 of you while I have 3 uses per day, so it should happen fairly frequently.

10 minute use-or-lose-it, however, so it should happen either in clear skill check scenarios, or when combat is obviously imminent (use for Initiative??), or in combat.

Does Daisy have Guidance to use similarly, or am I the main booster except when she actually steps up to Enhance Ability?

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCowbird View Post
    Meanwhile, my character is going to be a lot more serious than I thought. I was expecting an untrustworthy questgiver, but not a genocidal maniac.

In-character, my guy really loves the villages that this Pabst is willing to destroy. And out-of-character, my late parents were Nazi refugees.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-20 at 07:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

Ohhh. I thought they were in the middle of the country or something.

If it was a long journey to get there, then I presume they had suitable traveling supplies or whatever.

I'm still finding it hard to fathom that the Pabst travels with no guards, no aides, no visible way of setting up a tent, etc., etc., with the only exception being whatever is moving in that drawer of his.

Even if he's being mindcontrolled or whatever, that's weird for somebody who sees himself as basically the religious dictator of a country.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-24 at 11:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Weird, isn’t it?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

Weird, isn’t it?
    How convinced should we be that he's the real Pabst, as opposed to some actor or whatever? This isn't a world where one has seen one's national leader dozens of times on TV ...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I think fairly confident.
    Didn’t we establish that you don’t have detect thoughts?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

I think fairly confident.
    Didn’t we establish that you don’t have detect thoughts?
    I thought we swapped it in. It's been on my character sheet for a while. It even fits the backtory RP, in the use where you can gauge somebody's surface reactions to stuff without any downside, so long as you don't want to probe their minds more deeply.

If you don't want me to have it, that's obviously your prerogative. Just tell me what's forbidden, and I'll look for another spell to put in its place.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

We did, my memory is poor.
    Let's give Shiny some time to catch up.
    Show