New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 27: Ward-bound

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Dreaming of Lightning]

"This weapon will help you defeat the King's minions. Or any other great beasts," the serpent says. "I wish you the best of luck, mortal. I must return to the Fairest of Lands now."
    Dreaming of Lightning

Krayger nods despite this being an incredibly short explanation. "Uh, well, goodbye then. You've been a help." Krayger has been warned not to go around thanking fey he meets in dreams.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Dreaming of Birds and Lightning]
    "I do not believe so," the serpent says. "My master is asleep. They cannot forge new contracts. They cannot reach out to you from the Fairest of Lands. The King can, because he's in your world. And it's only a sliver of what my master used to be."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Krayger nods slowly, accepting this answer.
    ”Alright, then. Do what you must.” Having it be a fragment of someone who cannot come to collect is much preferable to being tethered to some Eldritch being trying to do who knows what.
    The serpent stretches upwards, its glow deepening. There's a hum in the air, at the edge of hearing. Krayger will feel something inside him stir, awaken and change at the same time. The emotions passing through him are something mortals don't quite have the names for anymore; they were lost with the Fairest of Lands. But as the serpent works its will, the effects will manifest in him - a bec de corbin, fashioned out of brilliant lightning, appearing in his hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Krayger brandishes the weapon as it appears with the might of a storm. His fingers runs down its side; he can identify neither the brilliant metal of its head nor the strange, ancient wood of its haft. He does not notice as the wings on his back vanish, as if having never existed (for they hadn't). Though a spark does jump between his horns now and then.
    "Well. I think I could get used to this at least." he says approvingly.
    "This weapon will help you defeat the King's minions. Or any other great beasts," the serpent says. "I wish you the best of luck, mortal. I must return to the Fairest of Lands now."
    Krayger should only hope that the serpent's master remains asleep for a long long time.

Leah breaks into a smile.
    "I think that's better."
    "And you, Serpent, even if some are asleep, the King is awake. Things are going to continue change. You should be ready."

She looks back to the electric minotaur.
    "More or less what we hoped for. Do you think it's time for you to wake up?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Mishnehel's Home

The ladder isn't one Mishnehel made, it's a steel tube extending ladder, anchored at each end by being set into the bubbles. It's very sturdy. "You know... I'm an angel, so I can look now however I want, within some parameters I've not fully figured out. But I like looking like this, which is what I looked like when I was a half-elf. But I wondered, sometimes, if I actually looked like this. My mother is an elf, and all I know about my father is that he looked human and was called Brian. Mum named me 'Brianelle', after him. Mishnehel is... the name I had in my mind after my apotheosis." Kind of the wrong word there, but close enough. "He wasn't fully human, though. He had some shapeshifter or something in him, I could make parts of my body go grey and plastic and reshape them however I wanted, and they stayed like that after. A bit like... this, I think." Mishnehel holds her hand up and concentrates, showing it to Vlad. It goes grey, the fingers blend together, and it... ripples, slightly, before returning to her natural skin tone- but now her hand has an extra little finger and it's the other way around. "I wondered, sometimes, if I was doing that to my face when I slept, if I was really as pretty as I looked. I know how easy it is to change the surface, Vlad. It's why I like what's deeper."
    [Mishnehel's Home]

Vlad's eyes widen as he watches Mishnehel's hand change its configuration. That particular brand of shape-shifting was eerily familiar; a certain long-standing enemy of his behaved in almost exactly the same way. For a brief moment, Vlad internally panics at the prospect that she might have somehow followed them into the Nexus... before he comes to the conclusion that Mishnehel probably wasn't her, because there's no way she would show off her shapeshifting that brazenly if she was.

Right, where were they? Oh, right. Mishnehel waxing philosophical.

Vlad scratches at the back of his neck nervously. "Uh... yeah. I... I guess that makes sense, yeah."

A philosophy major he was not.

"...For, um... for what it's worth, you seem to have both angles pretty well covered." He says. "Outside and in, I mean. You look nice and you've been nice, you know?" He cringes, seeming to find that to be a weak description of things. "I-I mean, obviously you look nice, you've clearly put a lot of care into your appearance- in a good way, though, I mean, I don't mean to imply that you're vain or anything, you're not, obviously, but, ah..."

It goes on like that for a while.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

Mishnehel has no idea about that, and doesn't realise either that she couldn't adopt a new form wholesale- she really is as pretty as she looks, she's not subconsciously morphing herself to be pretty. Natalie has the other half of the two-gene-based shapeshifting, that lets her adopt and remember other shapes and turn into those. She lacks the plastic flesh Mishnehel can display, though.

After a few moments of Vlad's bumbling, Mishnehel starts to laugh. The laughter will taper off, and Mishnehel's left smiling. "I don't really change, any more. I haven't had a hair cut since I became an angel; my hair hasn't grown at all." Her current appearance is based entirely on self-perception. She looks like she remembers herself looking. "I guess I used to? When I lived in Skyside, before the bird. But I could manipulate my flesh and alter my face whenever I wanted, back then." Although it would slowly change back if she didn't concentrate on it.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #65

[Mishnehel's Home]

Vlad nods and smirks a little, feeling brave enough to make an attempt at a joke. "I... I guess getting a haircut would be redundant anyway, if you can just make your hair longer or shorter."

Wait, she could do that, right? He might be making a bit of an assumption here.

"So anyway, um..." He nervously takes a seat on the mattress next to her, trying to switch the subject before he says something that might offend her. "Um... bird?"

Nice going, Vlad. If hair was personal, the story of her apotheosis was definitely going to be.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-15 at 11:40 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

"I could do that, make it longer anyway. Still needed to get it cut sometimes." Hair's dead, so it was a trickier change to make. "So! The day I became an angel. It didn't go to the best start. I'd been caught shoplifting, and the shop manager had good enough contacts someone came to collect me quickly. She was... not exactly low in the pecking order, of the Slaver's Guild. Don't know her name, but she moved slaves around often in a little caravan thing, and she was clearly in charge. Anyway, I managed to get away, and broke for an alleyway. There was a thing in there, a person mutated into a seagull. Kept saying 'bird, bird'. I asked for help, it pointed at a ladder, and I started to mutate. Grow feathers, to start with. From the roof, I saw more people enter this old building, and followed, mutating further as I went. My legs changed, knee moving up, ankle shifting, and toes splaying out, I had feathers all over, a long tail of black and white feathers, and a big stabby black beak. I stayed the same size, and my arms didn't change, but I couldn't fix it with my fluidity, the feathers stayed and bone's a nightmare to work with if you're not sure what you're doing. I learnt how to do fingers by experimentation and regular mistakes. Anyway, following these guys. Turns out someone had found an old power plant, where they'd been using a really big angel as a reactor, but it was giving off bird radiation. If you got exposed to the radiation, thinking about bird mutated you closer to being a bird. And once you'd started mutating, you also gave off this stuff." Not quite how it works, but a simplified form that Mishnehel could understand. "The others shut down the powerplant, whilst I was this five-foot tall magpie with arms instead of wings. This... thing flew out, and I grabbed it first, and... I thought 'I can absorb this, and it'd give me more order', so I did and there was a burst of flames and I stood there, afterwards, in the angel-shape I showed you earlier." The burst of flames, Mishnehel doesn't know, was the immolation and destruction of her soul.

7. - Top - End - #67

[Mishnehel's Home]

"...One of us definitely just had a stroke, and I can't tell which." Vlad says, when Mishnehel finishes her story. "I mean... sorry, that probably not the nicest way of putting that, but... what you just described was a trip, and if we were anywhere but the Nexus, I'd assume you were off your meds. Or at least off your prescription. Slavers, bird radiation, absorbing stuff you touch because... reasons, it's all a bit much." He grimaces. God, this must be how Doctor Bu feels all the time. I should send her something.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-17 at 05:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

[Dreaming of Lightning]

The serpent simply nods, before dissolving into a golden mist and vacating the dream.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #69

Kitsune Recovery Service

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Kitsune Recovery Service]

Annie looks primed to counter this, but she gives Obriane an uncertain look. If Obi says so... "But why are you here?" She shifts her demand. "I never seen you before." She clarifies her position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Obriane now gestures to Kitty. "Mom wanted us to help her, that's why she brought her in."

"I'm only here as long as they'll uh, have me here, so you don't have to worry," Ana attempts to vaguely console, sitting up in the bed by now. "But yeah, like, I needed some help and your mom let me stay here for the night." She kind of shrugs at Annie. There's not really much else to discuss there in her eyes.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

"It was certainly one of the weirdest things I've ever heard about happening, let alone experienced. The thing I absorbed was a Relic" Vlad can probably hear the word reverberate; it wasn't just some holiday ornament, but a real thing "so it wouldn't happen to everyone. The bird radiation's dealt with, so that's not an issue any more." But it occurs to Earl that Alecto should still have some feathers in her hair. Seagull, he thinks; the birds were all 'trash birds'. "The slavers are still a danger, especially in Skyside. No labour laws, or ones on kidnap, abduction, or forced labour. They're one reason you should always carry a weapon in Skyside, and avoid looking weak unless you have strong-looking friends who are incredibly loyal. And if you have any doubts on their loyalty, make sure you've got some way of protecting yourself from them too." Mishnehel is very serious about this. It's best to avoid Skyside, and Vlad has just heard another reason why.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Fettina's Place

There's a brief look of steely assessment in Cantata's eyes when she first registers the high-class look of the stranger before her, glancing down the chest and to the hip in an almost reflexive motion as she checks for signs of weaponry. Unfamiliar men in formal wear arriving unannounced was usually the prelude to an ugly fight or forceful threat within her line of work. Even so, the friendly demeanor proves enough to partially disarm the wary tenseness in her shoulders.

When the driver signs his message, it ends up being Cantata's turn to pause and process for a moment as blinks in surprise. A faint degree of color siphons from her cheeks before she nods and signs a quick I'll go retrieve her. Stepping away, she closes the door and hurries back.

Cantata steps back into Fettina's room and waits for her to ask on who it is before signing back an answer. A driver's here asking for you, dear. He says he's been sent here by your father.
    Fettina's Place

The man appears to be unarmed. But if anything Fettina's told Cantata about her home is true, there are lots of ways for people to be dangerous without obvious weaponry. The driver tips his hat at Cantie's reply, a small gesture meant to say thank you, before he steps back from the door.

Fettina asks after it without lifting her head, only twisting enough to see Cantie's signs. Now that makes her sit up quick. "What? Are you sure? My dad?" She cusses as she starts to flip out of bed and kick around for last night's clothes. "Aw, goddamit! I knew I should have waited until the last minute to say something about the weddings!"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

12. - Top - End - #72

Mishnehel's Home

"It was certainly one of the weirdest things I've ever heard about happening, let alone experienced. The thing I absorbed was a Relic" Vlad can probably hear the word reverberate; it wasn't just some holiday ornament, but a real thing "so it wouldn't happen to everyone. The bird radiation's dealt with, so that's not an issue any more." But it occurs to Earl that Alecto should still have some feathers in her hair. Seagull, he thinks; the birds were all 'trash birds'. "The slavers are still a danger, especially in Skyside. No labour laws, or ones on kidnap, abduction, or forced labour. They're one reason you should always carry a weapon in Skyside, and avoid looking weak unless you have strong-looking friends who are incredibly loyal. And if you have any doubts on their loyalty, make sure you've got some way of protecting yourself from them too." Mishnehel is very serious about this. It's best to avoid Skyside, and Vlad has just heard another reason why.
    [Mishnehel's Home]

"Oh, yeah, I know. Quire's sent me some horror stories about that place. Well, horror stories for me, anyway. I think they come off more fantasy to him." Vlad shrugs, making a "he's crazy" gesture with his finger. "So, you know. NOT going up there unless I really need to." He leans back, the "bed" creaking precariously under his weight. "...That certainly explains the rest of the weirdness, though. Sort of. As much as it can be explained, I mean." His hand go uo defensively. "Not that you're weird! ...Not in a bad way, at least." Given that they were sitting in a house she'd sculpted from dirt and somehow managed to make look like an obsidian cyst, he was sort of lacking any plausible deniability on the subject.

Meanwhile, there's going to be a peal of thunder outside, telling them both that a storm is imminent. Mishnehel can probably even hear the first few plips of raindrops falling in her roof.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

13. - Top - End - #73

Fettina's Place

Cantata blinks as Fettina bursts into panicked motion before paling as the implications of what she says sink in. "Wait-" she starts to sign before realizing Tina's a bit too preoccupied to catch a glimpse of the motions, and that she'd probably better start getting ready herself anyways.

Soon enough, Cantata shrugs off the robe and slips into a comfy little pair of black tights, briefly hesitating between a silky business-looking dress and a button-up blouse before deciding on the latter and pulling it on over a pair of high-waisted pants. Slipping into a cropped jacket and heeled boots, she moves to help Fettina all the while - handing over garments, holding open shirts or jackets for the angel to slip into, whatever her fiancé might require.

Once the two are fully dressed she places a hand on Tina's shoulder to try and slow her down. Looking down at her outfit, she looks back over at Tina and raises a querying thumbs-up - this a good choice for meeting him?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

"I don't know who Quire is, but he sounds like one of the gang leaders. They tend to range between slightly unhinged to mad as a box of left-handed spoons." I also think technically Vlad's already been to Skyside, and has been fired upon whilst there by an antique artillery piece.

Mishnehel frowns at the rumble of thunder. "Sounds like a storm's starting up. Wait here, I'll be right back." With that, Mishnehel disappears, popping behind the curtain of time and space and having a quick jaunt upwards through the ceiling whilst none of her many-faceted body is protruding into corporeal reality. She's teleported, sort of, and is no longer in the room. She's not lurking like such for long before she reappears back on the bed as though she never left- although now she's wearing her swimming costume again. "Yeah, there's a storm out there. It's going to be raining cows and horses by the time you get outside, let alone cats and dogs." Mishnehel frowns; she doesn't want to invite him to stay the night, because he's not confident enough to take that well. But she also doesn't want him to leave in this weather. "Why don't you stay here? I'll set up another bedroom, I think I've got enough to get sorted there." Mishnehel intends to stay herself in the other bedroom, with Vlad getting the actual bed. Maybe one of the mattresses will be moved over, but Mishnehel doesn't really need to sleep, as such. She'll be making another bedroom so Vlad doesn't worry about that.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Obriane now gestures to Kitty. "Mom wanted us to help her, that's why she brought her in."
    Kitsune Recovery Service

"I'm only here as long as they'll uh, have me here, so you don't have to worry," Ana attempts to vaguely console, sitting up in the bed by now. "But yeah, like, I needed some help and your mom let me stay here for the night." She kind of shrugs at Annie. There's not really much else to discuss there in her eyes.

Annie looks between Ana and Obriane. "Fine." She concedes at last. She turns up her nose and walks out of the room.

16. - Top - End - #76

Mishnehel's Home

"I don't know who Quire is, but he sounds like one of the gang leaders. They tend to range between slightly unhinged to mad as a box of left-handed spoons." I also think technically Vlad's already been to Skyside, and has been fired upon whilst there by an antique artillery piece.

Mishnehel frowns at the rumble of thunder. "Sounds like a storm's starting up. Wait here, I'll be right back." With that, Mishnehel disappears, popping behind the curtain of time and space and having a quick jaunt upwards through the ceiling whilst none of her many-faceted body is protruding into corporeal reality. She's teleported, sort of, and is no longer in the room. She's not lurking like such for long before she reappears back on the bed as though she never left- although now she's wearing her swimming costume again. "Yeah, there's a storm out there. It's going to be raining cows and horses by the time you get outside, let alone cats and dogs." Mishnehel frowns; she doesn't want to invite him to stay the night, because he's not confident enough to take that well. But she also doesn't want him to leave in this weather. "Why don't you stay here? I'll set up another bedroom, I think I've got enough to get sorted there." Mishnehel intends to stay herself in the other bedroom, with Vlad getting the actual bed. Maybe one of the mattresses will be moved over, but Mishnehel doesn't really need to sleep, as such. She'll be making another bedroom so Vlad doesn't worry about that.
    [Mishnehel's Home]

"Oh. I, ah..." Vlad scratches at the back of his neck. "...Awkward."

He hadn't told Mishnehel this yet, but Vlad shared his ex-coworkers' habit of using a sleeping pod, and like them, found standard beds to be uncomfortable in comparison. Between the requirements associated with that, and how unflattering the device tended to be, he wasn't exactly in any hurry to accept.

At the same time, though... it sounded like it was really coming down out there. He could swear he was witnessing a hurricane.

"Well, I guess I could stay the night, yeah." He says finally. "...I don't suppose you're hungry or an- when did you change back into your swimsuit?" He asks, suddenly noticing and averting his eyes.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreaming of Birds (and lightning)

Krayger watches the serpent depart. How strange, and yet not strange at all.
    "Wake up? I suppose. How do I...do that?" he asks. He's never really had a semi-lucid dream before.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

Fortunately, Mishnehel's house is anchored in space, so no matter how hard the wind blows it won't go anywhere. If rocks or trees are flung against it, damage may occur however.

"Yeah, we can go raid my kitchen. I don't stock much, though." Earl isn't sure, but suspects that Mishnehel doesn't need to eat. She also looks down, before her body ripples slightly as she changes into a pair of jeans and a black hoody. "Sorry, that must have been when I went to check on the rain. I should have some tinned food, if you fancy soup or something. I'll, uh, go look."

19. - Top - End - #79

[Mishnehel's Home]

"Actually, I was gonna offer to cook." Vlad replies, hefting his Hotbox. "...Well, you know. Something adjacent to cooking. I mean, if you'd prefer tinned food, we could do that..." She must like it, right? That's got to be why she's got a bunch of it. It's not like other kinds of food are that hard to come by out here. And he's been pushing it as it is; no need to be rude by turning her down, right?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

"No! No, it's fine. I don't stay here every night, it's just somewhere I stay when I'm not somewhere else, y'know?" Vlad might not know, or he might if he spends a lot of time travelling with weird schedules and can't tell when he's going to leave and when he'll be back again. "I don't have electricity here, tinned food lasts without being put in the fridge. Something else would be great." No power because she built it herself in a field and has no idea how to hook her building to the network. There's a telegraph pole nearby, but taking from that would probably be stealing.

21. - Top - End - #81

[Mishnehel's Home]

Vlad blinks. "...No power?" He asks, slightly incredulous. At least until he stops to think about it. Yeah, of course she doesn't have electricity. She probably doesn't have running water, either. Or gas. And more modern amenities, like a landline or internet, were out for the same fundamental reasons... and again, no electricity.

And to top it all off, when they get down to the kitchen, the roof's probably leaking.

"...Right." Vlad chuffs, pulling a cylindrical lamp from his Hotbox. "Well. Regardless, I, ah..." He stops and looks back at Mishnehel, not entirely sure what to offer her. He could go for something universal, like steak or sandwiches. Wait, what if she was vegetarian? He didn't have any good vegetarian recipes. Well, he did, but not any entrées and serving a meal of just side dishes would be awkward. And even then, she could be allergic to stuff. Angels could get allergies, right?

"Um... hm." Vlad mulls this over, looking through his Hotbox's menu to find something she might enjoy. If Mishnehel looks over his shoulder, she might be able to expedite the process... though what exactly some of these recipes even are will be a little obfuscated by the format; something like "bacon and eggs with hashbrowns" will show up as "papmurph_bcn_egg_hsbrn-3.fab", which might make it a little difficult to get exactly what she wants.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground

Fettina's Place

Cantata blinks as Fettina bursts into panicked motion before paling as the implications of what she says sink in. "Wait-" she starts to sign before realizing Tina's a bit too preoccupied to catch a glimpse of the motions, and that she'd probably better start getting ready herself anyways.

Soon enough, Cantata shrugs off the robe and slips into a comfy little pair of black tights, briefly hesitating between a silky business-looking dress and a button-up blouse before deciding on the latter and pulling it on over a pair of high-waisted pants. Slipping into a cropped jacket and heeled boots, she moves to help Fettina all the while - handing over garments, holding open shirts or jackets for the angel to slip into, whatever her fiancé might require.

Once the two are fully dressed she places a hand on Tina's shoulder to try and slow her down. Looking down at her outfit, she looks back over at Tina and raises a querying thumbs-up - this a good choice for meeting him?
    Fettina's Place

Fettina wastes very little time figuring out what she's going to wear, which is exceptionally odd. She flexes her shoulders and bends her back from one side to the other, suppressing her wings, and they disappear into her back slowly with the sound of crinkling metal. Cantie will know she figured out that trick a few weeks ago, but it's not comfortable to hold for long periods, even with her abilities to change shape. Then she slips on a sky blue tank top, wiggles into a pair of jeans, and kicks on her white slip-ons.

She smiles appreciatively at Cantie when the other lady holds open her coat, a bright pink and puffy affair adorned with stars. "Thanks." She leans over to peck Cantata on the cheek. "I'm sorry. He always does this. Ugh. And he probably doesn't even know any good places to eat around here...

Tina has to make herself slow down to pay attention when Cantie asks for her approval. She scoffs and smirks. "Oh, babe, don't worry about that. He might give you some crap about it, but you could be wearing anything and he'd do that. It would just be messing with you. He doesn't actually care about... well, pretty much anything anybody wears."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

Currently, she has running water. It's running down her walls. Mostly from the windows, the roof is thick to try and prevent gaps where water could get in.

Also, checked with Rebo; she does eat, but she has a star's diet, ideally; high in carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and silicon. Fortunately, that's all found in most foods. Also rocks.

Mishnehel has brought the light from the bedroom with her. She'll tilt her head and smile as Vlad gets his HotBox ready. If he glances at the tins on the crude shelf, that might provide some idea of what she likes, though it's tinned so not much of a diet. She has pineapple, beef ravioli (so not vegetarian), the distinctive tins of fish, tomatoes and several different flavours of soup. There's a small camp stove on the side, so she can at least cook the stuff she eats, though maybe not in this weather. "Anything will be fine. I grew up in Skyside; can't really afford to be picky. Food's expensive there." The city flies, so it either is grown somewhere in the city itself- mostly hydroponics- or is imported on shuttles like everything else. Food is cheaper in Groundtown, which is why so many workers live there; it's cheaper to transport themselves to the city each shift than buy food and housing up there.

24. - Top - End - #84

[Mishnehel's Home]

Vlad's eyes finally settle on the tin of beef ravioli. Okay, he could work with that. Maybe she didn't necessarily like the fact that it was tinned, but she wouldn't have bought(?) the pasta if she wasn't at least okay with eating it.

"Just a moment..." Vlad pulls open a number of files to make sure he produces a well-rounded meal. "Aaaaand there we go."

The Hotbox pops open to reveal a bowl of beef-stuffed ravioli; fresh, not tinned, as though Vlad had just taken it off the stove. Next to it, he's made a small loaf of Italian bread, the kind that crackles just a little bit when it's picked up. To the side, two smaller bowls; one full of cauliflower gratin, the other a sweet apple salad; both are still served warm, due to the limitations of the Hotbox, but that doesn't necessarily work against it.

"I don't suppose you have anything to drink around here?" Vlad asks. "I'm a little low on suitable options." And space. But mostly options.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

"Uh, yep. Got half a litre of limoncello, ten cans of cheap beer, six pack of slightly less cheap beer, and three cans of cider. Or I've got some soda. Nuka-Cola, which glows- might not be healthy- and Doctor Hero and Colant Green." Which is organic and good for environment, not made from people. The packaging says so. Mishnehel will go over to where she's storing it, a cubby in the wall between this room and the next one, in a plastic milk-bottle crate. "That smells lovely."

26. - Top - End - #86

[Mishnehel's Home]

Well. Here's to the environment, then.

Vlad cracks open a can of definitely-not-people and sets the tab-

...Sets up the dishes that came from his Hotbox. "Help yourself." He smiles. "Plenty more where that came from." Which is to say, nowhere, of course. If Mishnehel needs any further prompting, he'll portion out a relatively small amount for himself, leaving generous servings for her; it could be a while before she gets to enjoy fresh food like that again.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

Mishnehel takes about half the food, and claims a plastic bottle of Doctor Hero. "Thank you. This is really nice." Mishnehel's not eaten fresh food for a while, as Vlad had guessed.

Colant Green tastes... oddly coppery, but that's probably the can. If Vlad prints out a glass to pour it into, it's more reddish than most cola.

28. - Top - End - #88

[Mishnehel's Home]

"Ah, it's nothing." Vlad waves his hand dismissively. "We eat like this every night back home. Well, you know, not literally this, that'd get old fast, but... hot and fresh, yeah." He shrugs. "I wish I could bring you one of these. They're a real time- and effort-saver. I mean, if you'd had one on hand while you were building this place..." He trails off and stares at the waterfall going down Mishnehel's wall, idly sipping what was definitely not liquefied human remains in a can.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel's Home

"I'd probably have windows. And... not be reliant on tinned food, or less reliant at least." Mishnehel smiles and continues to eat. "I'd probably break or lose it, so don't worry about it." And given her abilities to mess around with space and time- or more accurately, Shape and Growth- she could probably do better than this anyway. She just needs to know how, and she still hasn't done the tutorial.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Fettina's Place

Fettina wastes very little time figuring out what she's going to wear, which is exceptionally odd. She flexes her shoulders and bends her back from one side to the other, suppressing her wings, and they disappear into her back slowly with the sound of crinkling metal. Cantie will know she figured out that trick a few weeks ago, but it's not comfortable to hold for long periods, even with her abilities to change shape. Then she slips on a sky blue tank top, wiggles into a pair of jeans, and kicks on her white slip-ons.

She smiles appreciatively at Cantie when the other lady holds open her coat, a bright pink and puffy affair adorned with stars. "Thanks." She leans over to peck Cantata on the cheek. "I'm sorry. He always does this. Ugh. And he probably doesn't even know any good places to eat around here...

Tina has to make herself slow down to pay attention when Cantie asks for her approval. She scoffs and smirks. "Oh, babe, don't worry about that. He might give you some crap about it, but you could be wearing anything and he'd do that. It would just be messing with you. He doesn't actually care about... well, pretty much anything anybody wears."
    Fettina's Place

It's a little unfortunate just how preoccupied Tina is with getting ready at this point - if she'd been in a bit less of a hurry, perhaps she'd notice the way Cantata lingers in place behind her, raising a palm to the place she'd been kissed while her cheeks as a lovesick little blush rises in her cheeks. It's a look that only lasts a moment though - soon she's back to getting ready, throwing on a bit of makeup before getting back to Fettina.

Listening to her, Cantata's expression shifts from worry to a bit of relief, before slipping back to unsure nervousness. "What does he care about?" the woman signs - something about meeting him definitely seems to have her worried about making the best impression possible.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show