New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Chicago Vigilantes [IC]

John creeps up towards the nearest interlopers, a vial of Slow-Silver in his hand. Ready to stick the first man to the floor the moment it's necassary.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealth
    (1d20+4)[15]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    John immediatly becomes alert, and moves towards an unoccupied alcove, pulling open his shirt and discarding it as he pulls his mask-crafted from a repurposed shovel-over his face. He rips off his tear away pants to reveal his metal greaves and full body armor.
    He scans the area for the threat, eyes pouring over every one in the area.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception Check
    (1d20)[18]
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    You spot eight goons, but nobody who looks more of a serious threat. They're in groups of two each, at the egresses.

The goons spot John, and you hear them muttering some cusses as they start to train their guns on him.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Penny ducks around a corner unnoticed and does a few...touch ups. Her glasses become a mask, and she's even good enough to keep the eyepieces prescription. Her jacket changes color. Her tennis shoes become combat boots, which give her almost an extra inch of height. She emerges as Scramble.
    Another pair of goons see Scramble, and soon, two guns are pointed at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    As he sees back the way they had come the crowd filling into the auditorium, Fred quickly writes down a number on the back of his program and tears off the piece. "Call this n-number if you w-want to talk more. I-h-I think we can help each other," he says as he hands John the number and then heads back to the crowd.

** A short time later **

Fred quickly scans the entire building for enemies, allies, and exits as the goons surround the auditorium.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception (my vision Penetrates Concealment so I should be able to see through solid objects, Counters Concealment of all kinds, so I should be able to see normally in darkness and other issues, Counters Illusion just in case these are illusions, which I doubt. My vision is also radial, so I should be able to see in every direction at once without turning my head, I can see 1000 feet away as if it were 10 feet, I can see heat signatures using infrared. I think those should be all the relevant effects here.)
    (1d20)[18]
    (Oh! And also rapid, so I can see perceive things 10x faster than normal, in case there might be any speedsters running around.)

Also, I'll go ahead and throw an Investigation check on these goons [roll1] and Professor Birch due to the Well-Informed advantage.

Let me know what I find.
    Spoiler: Fred sees all.
    Show
    He sees the eight goons, in four pairs of two at the entrances. He also sees a lanky, eight-foot tall wolfman hiding around the corner of the main entrance, ready to spring. There's a megaphone next to the wolfman, on the ground.

Spoiler: Well-Informed
    Show
    The goons are not notable.
    The wolfman is unknown, with that roll.
    Birch is a talented professor of biology, astronomy, and many other fields. He was the keynote speaker today.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Standing at the main entrance, Sister Dahlia clocks Penny making her way into the event a little late, but not dramatically so. No harm done, and she was here before the introductions officially began. "There's the other half of the security detail," she notes to Ray as she begins to pivot back in toward the auditorium, "so I dare say we're safe to proceed. I'd better head back in. Have a good-"

Then the lights cut out. Then the emergencies on. And in the nine seconds it took for the faceless ransomer to call out Professer Birch, both of the security guards have disappeared. Wherever the young woman went, she has no clue; but the man with whom she was having a cordial chat just moments ago had melted away into the dark leaving her awkwardly half-pivoted away from the entrance, frozen in scene assessment, in time for a cluster of armed and armored goons to be clogging that doorway.

She raises her hands to indicate an unwillingness to fight, and tries to appeal to their reason.

"What are you doing? Who are you people? This is a peaceful gathering of luminaries, you don't need to swing those -weapons- around. For heaven's sake, what is this about?"

Spoiler: The same scene, with added supernatural commentary.
    Show
    Standing at the main entrance, Sister Dahlia clocks Penny making her way into the event a little late, but not dramatically so. No harm done, and she was here before the introductions officially began. "There's the other half of the security detail," she notes to Ray as she begins to pivot back in toward the auditorium, "so I dare say we're safe to proceed. I'd better head back in. Have a good-"

Then the lights cut out. Then the emergencies on. And in the nine seconds it took for the faceless ransomer to call out Professor Birch, both of the security guards have disappeared. Wherever the young woman went, she has no clue; but the man with whom she was having a cordial chat just moments ago had melted away into the dark leaving her awkwardly half-pivoted away from the entrance, frozen in scene assessment, in time for a cluster of armed and armored goons to be clogging that doorway.

Ahahahaha! Amazing! Oh, Dahlia, don't act so shocked. You were just saying how wretched the city has become, after all.
    The enforcers have slunk away, though to escape or regroup we cannot know. But I am ready, if you need me.
    I wouldn't say no to a little airtime; but the room is being watched by a cohort of jackboots with riot guns. Anything you do to provoke is going to get people shot. And Professor Birch is probably a **** anyway. Discretion, valor, etcetera.

She raises her hands to indicate an unwillingness to fight, and tries to appeal to their reason.

Well, gun toting goons are famously reasonable.

"What are you doing? Who are you people? This is a peaceful gathering of luminaries, you don't need to swing those -weapons- around. For heaven's sake, what is this about?"

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Dahlia is trying mostly to bring the encounter with the goons nearest to her down from the tenor of "kick in the door and run roughshod over everyone" to a more reasonable "negotiation from a position of power." Secondarily, she's trying to convince them to waste time talking to her rather than immediately executing whatever plan they're involved in.

Persuasion roll: (1d20)[18]

"We want Birch. Hand him over, no one else gets hurt," the nearby goons tell Dahlia.

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    John creeps up towards the nearest interlopers, a vial of Slow-Silver in his hand. Ready to stick the first man to the floor the moment it's necassary.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealth
    (1d20)[18]
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20)[18]
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ray gritted his teeth and hid in the broom closet until he can change into his balaclava mask and remove his shirt to hide his identity. Revealing his red dragon tattoo on his slightly pale skin. The tattoo is actually a mark of the dragon that made him a hero all those years ago.

He ran back out then pulled out his shotgun and attempts to shoot a slug shot into 1 of the goons.

Spoiler: my current prepared immunities
    Show

I assume it makes sense that ray prepared for danger in a supervillain filled Chicago in a security job. I'm not gonna metagame. I'm just gonna go for what ray generally prepares for now since he had no idea which criminals/villains would even attack a mensa. If at all. this is his default basically.

Also these can be worked around easily enough i think. Like for example immunity to fire doesn't mean immunity to a burning building falling on you due to the support pillars turning to ashs.

Anyways here's what he is currently immune to these effects (using the immunity power in the book to know what each immunity costs.)

Entrapment (grabbing, snares, or bonds) [5 points] ray doesn't want to be captured or placed in a death trap.

Bullets [5 points] guns are a criminals best friend so best be prepared.

Any effects with either the fire or electricity descriptors [20 points 10 each] relatively common power types.

Bludgeoning effects [20 points due to being extremely common] super strength is extremely common and many melee weapons are bludgeoning.

That's all 50 points ray has available.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

With two gunmen at the door and little capacity to reason with them, Dahlia takes on an exasperated look.

And then shots start to ring out, and the chaos of a gunfight in a crowded room cannot be far behind. Looking not a whit like any kind of threat, the sister throws herself to the ground by the wall and covers her head. It's become absolutely disastrous absolutely instantly, but she cannot risk engaging her unorthodox options while they're still trained on her - that's a short road to buckshot city, not to mention the untenable circumstance of having witnesses to her secret. Instead she grits her teeth, makes herself seem small, and keeps her eyes peeking up for the goons to, in all likelihood, go charging off after the gunfire.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[15]
    Action: Ready an action to use Metamorph, when there are no immediate eyes on her.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-19 at 03:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Foundry immediatly shoves his vial of slow silver into his belt when he's spotted, and fully extends the handle of his Glaive. No time for quiet now, hit them hard and fast and pray that his armor holds up to high calliber guns.

he moves quickly and jabs his Glaive into the first guard he can reach, knowing that the blade should be able to pierce any dinky body armor the gunman is wearing.

Spoiler: Actions and info
    Show

Attacking with Brinkstel Glaive:

(1d20+5)[25]

Notes: Glaive crits on a 16-20, glaive deals 5 ranks of damage on a hit(So DC 20), and has both the reach and penetrating features, meaning I'm currently 10 feet away, and the blade will ignore up to 5 ranks of impervious toughness if they have it.
    If it crits on anything but a 20 I get the effects of a crit but no the auto hit.
    If this attack takes this guy down, then I can move and attack again as part of my Takedown advantage.
    Rinse and repeat until I stop defeating goons this turn or I run out of goons to defeat this turn.

Last edited by moonfly7; 2021-09-20 at 11:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

The goons near to Scramble take aim with their guns and shoot a small burst at her, as they notice the presence of her masked form. "The hell?" one of them lets out as he shoots.

Show
    (1d20+7)[24]
    (1d20+7)[15]

DC 18 for each one.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Guess I'm gonna have to bring my balaclava with me everywhere from now on, Fred thinks to himself as he disappears from his seat in the auditorium, hoping that the confusion at the entrance and the dimness of the emergency lights will cover him, and reappears in the nearest bathroom.

He pulls his shirt off and ties it up completely around his head to hide who he is, while mentally congratulating himself on his insecurities saving the day, as he had decided to wear his light kevlar vest to the meeting to make himself look a little less skinny.

Show
    Using a Move Action to teleport to the nearest unoccupied bathroom and (hopefully?) a Standard Action to tie his shirt around his head as a makeshift mask. He can see through it thanks to his powers, but nobody else ought to be able to.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Scramble sprays some shots at the two thugs nearest her

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Machine Pistol (Multiattack/Multiple Targets):
    • Thug 1: (1d20+6)[8], DC 18 on hit
    • Thug 2: (1d20+6)[13], DC 18 on hit

If they're still up and able to actually take shots at her still:
    Toughness: (1d20+5)[17]
    Toughness: (1d20+5)[17]

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39

Scramble's bursts go wide as the goons duck and cover.

The goons by Dahlia mutter something quietly into their lapels, and keep themselves steady, but don't fire.

Meanwhile, the ones nearest Foundry take aim at the metalworker and fire.

Show
    (1d20+7)[13]
    (1d20+7)[25]
    DC 18 on each.

And remind me, OOC, what actions have already been declared with their rolls, please.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Gunshots are ringing out, and the henchmen at the door aren’t budging. The time is now for great risks; or else to live with heaped shame.

Dahlia tracks her eyes to behind the goons and lets out a melodramatic gasp, as if something terrible and violent threatens them from behind. Then she fires up to her feet, cursing her heels within, and flees out the door and around the corner.

Spoiler: OOC ACTIONS
    Show
    Dahlia is going to bluff to turn their eyes away ((1d20+4)[17]). Then whether or not she succeeds, she’s fleeing out the entrance trusting that either her deception or the sliver of decency in these goons hearts will prevent them from shotgunning her in the spine as she runs. I’ll describe the free action to transform when I’m not typing on my phone!)

11. - Top - End - #41

Dahlia rounds the bend as the goons are distracted (if but for a moment) and sees a lanky, 8' tall wolfman. He seems rather surprised to see her as well.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

As the first goon falls Foundry is already pulling his blade from the first goon and spinning into a second strike at the next one before they can get more shots off.
    Spoiler: attack roll
    Show

(1d20+5)[18]

13. - Top - End - #43

The shotgun slug blasts 1 of the goons hard enough to ko him.
    Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-09-25 at 11:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Moving past the two downed goons on his side, foundry dashes to aide the seemingly civilian Dahlia.

"RUN!"
    He cries to her as his first strike slides in gracefully at the first goon.
    Spoiler: ATTACKS
    Show

(1d20+5)[6]

toughness check for guard:

(1d20+4)[20]

15. - Top - End - #45

The remaining conscious goon by Tough Guy aims his gun at the shotgun-wielding hero, and fires.

Show
    (1d20+7)[19]
    DC 18 on a hit.

While the ones by Scramble continue to attempt to take her down.

Show
    (1d20+7)[19]
    (1d20+7)[9]
    DC 18 on a hit.

They all look quite on edge-they didn't expect this much resistance.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Scramble continues trying to clip the goons with some spray n pray, before trying to take cover behind anything that's handy.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Toughness from me: (1d20+5)[19]

Multiattack, same as last time:

Thug 1:
    ----Attack: (1d20+6)[21]
    ----Toughness DC 18 (DC 23 on crit): (1d20)[6]

Thug 2:
    ----Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    ----Toughness DC 18 (DC 23 on crit): (1d20)[5]

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47

One goon goes down. One more from her group stands.

Show
    You can tell these goons were not ready for a fight like this. If someone wants to make an Intimidation attempt or similar, you could end the fight now.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

A beast! A… werewolf, even! She’d read the old accounts - St. Mercurio and his Cunocephali - but never imagined she would see one in person, much less one apparently leading an abduction. But amazing and frightful as the creature was, there was still gunfire going off in a room full of her colleagues, and the time for her careful extraction was long past. She fled past the wolf man, trusting he would not divert from his mission to chase one fleeing civilian, and rounded the corner of the building at a full ball-footed sprint. And the very second she thought she was out of sight, she closed her eyes as if in prayer.

But not to heaven.

On the other side of the building, from one of the high glass windows kept shut against the Chicago night, came a musical, manic laughter that was likely lost in the sound of gunfire… until it wasn’t. Red and black exploded through the glass, blurred through the room, and slammed down into a gargoylish perch on the oaken lectern from which the speakers might have on a quieter night made more peaceful proclamations.

In the chaos, there was no time to really appreciate the majesty or detail of her form. What mattered is that she was a demon - no questions about it, with red skin and horns and leathery wings on whose power she entered like a cannonball from hell. In one hand she cracked a black thorned whip, and then from full black lips she let out such a howl of anticipated cruelty that no human throat might match. It was inarticulate, but she whispered a translation afterward into the microphone.

“Run.”

Spoiler: Actions:
    Show
    Free action to Metamorph into Jezebel
    Move action to Fly-5 to circle around and smash through a window cinematically
    Standard Action to intimidate (Routine: DC20)

And a D20 roll for the mooks, in case the GM wants it: [ROLL]1d20[/ROLL]. And I guess one for the crowd of civilians? [ROLL]1d20[/ROLL] but I'm pretty sure they were maximum scared anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can't edit in rolls. Lol.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-27 at 05:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

The goons seem to have hit their limit. They start moving back, away from the auditorium, leaving their knocked-out comrades behind. The wolf, to anyone who can see or hear, growls. He grabs the megaphone and shouts "You won't get away forever, Birch! I will find you!"

Show
    Let me know, here or in the OOC, if you wish to give chase, or assess the situation here more. But, this encounter is victorious.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Foundry hesitates for a moment, torn between pursuit and helping the guards he's injured. He curses his own morals, because despite his hatred of criminals, they dont deserve to die. Better to make sure that every one here is unharmed and receives medical attention.

21. - Top - End - #51

Ray was glad the the wolf man and his gang ran away. Both because he did not prepare an immunity to claws and also the much more important reason that it meant the civilians were safe.

It then occurred to ray that perhaps working with these people would be fruitful. Who knows. They might save the world one day. Ray stifled a laugh at that thought. God why did that dragon get him in this mess.

Resting his shotgun at his shoulder he spoke up "soooo. Looks like we did a good job saving these civilians. Sooooooooo.... what about we form a team. I know it's probably sudden but even if that's not on the table it's probably a sensible idea to work together on taking on the wolf man. At least until then since we might be the only people who know of his existence. So what do ya guys say?"
    Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-09-27 at 12:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

“Straight to ‘let’s team up’? Come now, warrior. Put a little romance into the pitch if you’re not going to buy a girl dinner first.”

Jezebel performs a needless little somersault as she descends from the lectern, and swans over to Tough Guy, pausing before him to rake him over with half-lidded eyes that radiate mischief and invitation. She extends a hand to brush a little smear of residue off his chest where a goon’s bullets had deflected off him. She looks up to make sure the civvies are huddling and attending each other before turning her penetrating pearly gaze on the other heroes.

“Actually, let’s do dinner. All of us. We can arrange that in a moment, but we’ve got about thirty seconds before the sirens get here. So any of you who might want to be here without a mask on, and who might need to account for their activities, might want to come over here.”

She gestures closer to herself, for a heroic huddle. Her grin is entirely unwholesome, even if she seems to be on the side of the angels, so to speak.

“Let me look after you, dears.”

Spoiler: OOC ACTIONS!
    Show
    Jezebel, while flirting brazenly with literally all four of her potential allies, will use her routine deception of 20 to help fabricate cover stories for those who vanished from the party only to return as capes. This will be more effective if they divulge their identities, but for the reticent, sheÂ’ll offer a string of generic ideas that avoid conflict with the facts and that are likely to slip buy the instincts of the cops taking reports after the fact.

Of course, she doesn’t need to divulge her hostess’s identity. She might save that for dinner.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-09-27 at 02:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"I say I know almost none of you, and that at least two of you sprayed bullets in a room full of civilians. What is this, Punisher Wannabe reunion night? You unloaded with a shotgun loaded with buckshot." He says pointing at tough guy, before turning his gaze on Scramble.

"And you open fired with a semi-automatic in a crowded room. The fact that no one actually got hurt is down to luck just as much as skill. Now, credit where credit is due, Machine-pistol girl over here at least hit every single one of her targets with no spatter in other directions. But you used a shotgun, if you had gotten the tiniest bit unlucky your spray could have ricocheted and hit a hostage. What is this, your first night fighting around civilians? You got a grenade in that coat you wish you had used instead?"

Show
    I apologise for Foundry's overly critical response right out of the gate, the man is quick to judge and quick to anger when it involves people he percieves as being "reckless heros". Its one of his main flaws I listed in his character sheet. Despite the fact that I think you guys did great, he's gonna over react a bit. Just remember it's him and not me.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

He shakes his head to clear it for a moment.

"That being said, were 5 wannabe heroes all in the same place at the same time. ANd that Wolf-Man thing just got away, and I'm willing to bet we're the only ones who'll do jack about it. So yeah, I guess I'll be up for "dinner".

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

At this point, with the fight winding down and panicked civilians either hiding or running away, a short-statured figure suddenly appears among the group, a shirt tied haphazardly around his face, and picks up one of the guns that the goons had been firing. He chambers a round and attempts a terse quip, having not heard any of what the other vigilantes had said, but, well, given his stutter...

"Wh-h-h-one g-got away," and then disappears again, reappearing down the street in the direction that the wolfman is heading, about 70 feet away from the fleeing would-be abductor. He takes aim and fires.

Show
    It will take Fred two rounds to do all this, and if there any height vantage points along the road the wolfman is heading down, like a second or third floor balcony or overhang, he will teleport to that, keeping enough distance that he's reasonably certain the wolfman will not be able to reach him after his first shot. This also depends on the wolfman not being able to make it too far away after he starts running. Fred can only teleport 250 feet, so if he's much farther than that, I might do differently, and Fred should be able to keep track of him relatively easily, with his ridiculous vision and distance sense. He needs to be 1000 feet away before I take any penalties to see him with perception.

Perception (1d20+8)[18]

Attack (1d20+7)[10]

DC: 18 on a hit

(1d20)[15]
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

26. - Top - End - #56

Quantum is able to keep pace with the Wolfman for a bit, but his shots aren't lined up right. The Wolfman, realizing he's still being hunted, grabs a civilian who's too slow to make it away. "He'll live if you go!" he shouts.

Inside the auditorium, the lights are still out. The crowd is starting to pick themselves up, talking amongst themselves. A few phones come out, dialing the police. As this happens, a tall, brown-skinned man approaches you all, seemingly not particularly concerned about the events. "I see we've some heroes about-might be wise to make your escape before the police arrive. Though, when you do... Perhaps take me with? I am Professor Birch-and I believe you just saved my life. I can explain-I think-what the issue is."

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"The professor's right, we need to get out of here now, or at least get into less incriminating attire. There's a diner on 4th and main, Moe's. It's deserted this time of night. Meet there in say, 2 hours after the cops let us all go?"

28. - Top - End - #58

Birch frowns. "I wouldn't wait for the cops to take your statements-they'd be as likely to put you behind bars as anything else."

Show
    Remember-government is corrupt, here in Chicago.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

"I don't plan on hanging out for the cops in this hooligan suit, doc." he shrugs and turns to leave

"If any of you really want to meet up for whatever the hell this is, diner. 2 hours from now."

And with that the Foundry dashes out, ducking into an abandoned corner and changing back into his regular outfit, to await giving his terrified testament to the cops as Jonathan when they finally arrive.

Show
    I know they're corrupt, I meant that as victims we'd need to give our statements, but obviously I don't want to outright say that in front of the professor. Although really, does he think it's a big ol'coincidence we just all happened to be here at this highly unimportant meeting?

30. - Top - End - #60

Ray was somewhat annoyed at the glave welding fellow was making him look like a idiot.

"Sure. Dinner with a demon. Just don't steal my soul or anything ok. Oh and mister glave guy. I was using slugs shot not spread shot. But point taken."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Ready for the next scene. Whether that's in the diner or whatever. However i do not mind more time in this scene. Just announcing that I'm fine moving to the next scene whenever the others are ready.