New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Halo 4 (In Canada It's Called Halo: Shadow Raiders)

Halo 4 Log 004:
    I'm trying to figure out why these robots would be designed to be so fragile. These things are meant to fight the flood, so....is there a logic to making them cheap and disposable?

"are you good at clearing LZs?"
    "on occasion"- says the super-soldier designed as an upgrade to ODSTs whose primary job was to do that.

also look! Spartan-IVs! I can finally talk about those.

and there is the effects of the Rampancy....

yeah you saw them in the cutscene, Zodi, the white and red armored Jennifer Hale, the two black and yellow ones....

scorpion, always a good time.

Get in the Battlemech, Zodi

to be honest, I completely forgot that the mech was in this game, so I couldn't spoil it even if I wanted to. as for the mech, your probably thinking of the Cougar from Mechassault, the iconic mech of that franchise and most similar to the Mantis.

Look Zodi, at Tier Zero levels of civilization, your basically working with magic levels of technology. anything is possible at that point.

ah yeah......Halo 5......thats going to be a thing to see again.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

I was torn between Locust or Catapult for what the mech looks like, but yeah no it's definitely the Cougar. Catapult is what inspired Sonic Adventure 2 though.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Look, I'll be honest. I love Halo 4 mechanics-wise and, like, weapon-wise, barring stuff like the stupid Ghost Boost segment. Just... the story is blegh enough to make me shrug and not actually enjoy a new one coming out.

Spikes means the dogs have a Suppressor, no spikes means they have a Boltshot. ...oh, you figure this out.

"Good to see you again." A reference that never gets explained unless you watch the Forward Unto Dawn TV movie!

Oh, I 100% wanted to see your raw, unbiased reactions to the Mantis. It's awesome. Note that it's melee is an AoE stomp - you at least figured out the missiles.

Hey, Em, you skipped the part where it's a super small galaxy and the allies to the Humans (until they started fighting the Forerunners) were the Prophets! It's absolutely meaningless, but makes the galaxy so much smaller.

To clarify about the Precursor Dust thing: When percursors die, they always turned into dust to regenerate. Just... this time, something went wrong. For some reason.

...okay, just read my last big post for all the details and my rants. Since I'll mostly repeat myself.

New stuff:

Spoiler: Precursor appearances:
    Show
    They're described as, like, Lovecraftian horrors, by the author. Here's the actual stuff from the wiki:

"At least three forms are known in detail to some degree. One form of Precursor, or at least an infantile stage of them, took the form of green teardrop plants as large as melons that when exposed to light would unfurl wide leathery leaves that would fan gently with the grace of a bowing dancer, and expose a glowing starburst of delicate white blooms dangling from groups of lantern-like stems.

Another form of Precursor is the Primordial who was massive in size; the mold encapsulating the being on Charum Hakkor outlined a being approximately fifteen meters tall and eleven meters wide with the Ur-Didact seeing it on Charum Hakkor describing it as possessing an insectoid head, four arms, and two degenerate legs and a long, segmented "tail" being attached to the base of the skull and tipped with a two meter-long barb. Each of its hands had three fingers and a central opposable thumb. The face of the Primordial had been likened to that of a eurypterid, or "sea scorpion," a creature that the Precursors had allegedly seeded on a number of planets including Earth. Its head was flattened, with oval compound eyes and insect-like mouthparts. Later, aboard Installation 07, the being was described as having a large number of legs which it held in a curled-up position similar to a spider. The creature's torso was described as "grossly fat," and its skin was covered in a glassy, crystalline coating; a fine powder often fell from its body, perhaps Flood spores or the same powder responsible for the original Flood outbreak. As a Gravemind, the Primordial was capable of shifting its physical form to an extent, such as rearranging its limbs. However given that the Primordial was said to be heavily mutated to survive vast spans of time, it is likely it no longer resembled other Precursors as they appeared during the time of the Forerunner-Precursor war thus it is likely this form was unique to the Primordial.

The most detailed and most prominent form of the Precursors known to the inhabitants of the Milky Way is their form as the Flood, a species of highly virulent parasitic organisms that reproduce and grow by consuming sentient lifeforms of sufficient biomass and cognitive capability. This form was initially born of corrupted Precursor remains.

And... there's another thing about the Precursors, that Em didn't mention, and is also stupid...
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, two Precursors actually escaped the genocide of their race, and took refuge in the Large Magellenic Cloud, before being found by Forerunner exiles. These exiles tried to care for them, but the Precursors - despite their ability to heal - allowed themselves to die.

And then they became samples which germinated into seeds, and then bloomed in the last million years. However, their genetic memory was wiped, and they're now free of all that they were. Y-yay? Anyways, a forerunner shield world was built, and stuff, and recently, in 2558, there's now a mission to repopulate the Precursors. Y-yay?
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-10-06 at 11:13 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Em: "Maybe if you give me a rocket jump?"
    Zodi: "...Okay!" Fires a salvo of five rockets right at Em
    Em: "Ow!"

I also loved the bit at 23:20 where she 180 no-scopes a speeding ghost with the scorpion main gun... Apparently not realising Em was driving it?
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post

I also loved the bit at 23:20 where she 180 no-scopes a speeding ghost with the scorpion main gun... Apparently not realising Em was driving it?
    Look, Zodi's competency increases proportional to the inconvenience it'd cause Em.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    "Good to see you again." A reference that never gets explained unless you watch the Forward Unto Dawn TV movie!

Oh, I 100% wanted to see your raw, unbiased reactions to the Mantis. It's awesome. Note that it's melee is an AoE stomp - you at least figured out the missiles.

Hey, Em, you skipped the part where it's a super small galaxy and the allies to the Humans (until they started fighting the Forerunners) were the Prophets! It's absolutely meaningless, but makes the galaxy so much smaller.

To clarify about the Precursor Dust thing: When percursors die, they always turned into dust to regenerate. Just... this time, something went wrong. For some reason.

...okay, just read my last big post for all the details and my rants. Since I'll mostly repeat myself.

New stuff:

Spoiler: Precursor appearances:
    Show
    They're described as, like, Lovecraftian horrors, by the author. Here's the actual stuff from the wiki:

"At least three forms are known in detail to some degree. One form of Precursor, or at least an infantile stage of them, took the form of green teardrop plants as large as melons that when exposed to light would unfurl wide leathery leaves that would fan gently with the grace of a bowing dancer, and expose a glowing starburst of delicate white blooms dangling from groups of lantern-like stems.

Another form of Precursor is the Primordial who was massive in size; the mold encapsulating the being on Charum Hakkor outlined a being approximately fifteen meters tall and eleven meters wide with the Ur-Didact seeing it on Charum Hakkor describing it as possessing an insectoid head, four arms, and two degenerate legs and a long, segmented "tail" being attached to the base of the skull and tipped with a two meter-long barb. Each of its hands had three fingers and a central opposable thumb. The face of the Primordial had been likened to that of a eurypterid, or "sea scorpion," a creature that the Precursors had allegedly seeded on a number of planets including Earth. Its head was flattened, with oval compound eyes and insect-like mouthparts. Later, aboard Installation 07, the being was described as having a large number of legs which it held in a curled-up position similar to a spider. The creature's torso was described as "grossly fat," and its skin was covered in a glassy, crystalline coating; a fine powder often fell from its body, perhaps Flood spores or the same powder responsible for the original Flood outbreak. As a Gravemind, the Primordial was capable of shifting its physical form to an extent, such as rearranging its limbs. However given that the Primordial was said to be heavily mutated to survive vast spans of time, it is likely it no longer resembled other Precursors as they appeared during the time of the Forerunner-Precursor war thus it is likely this form was unique to the Primordial.

The most detailed and most prominent form of the Precursors known to the inhabitants of the Milky Way is their form as the Flood, a species of highly virulent parasitic organisms that reproduce and grow by consuming sentient lifeforms of sufficient biomass and cognitive capability. This form was initially born of corrupted Precursor remains.

And... there's another thing about the Precursors, that Em didn't mention, and is also stupid...
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, two Precursors actually escaped the genocide of their race, and took refuge in the Large Magellenic Cloud, before being found by Forerunner exiles. These exiles tried to care for them, but the Precursors - despite their ability to heal - allowed themselves to die.

And then they became samples which germinated into seeds, and then bloomed in the last million years. However, their genetic memory was wiped, and they're now free of all that they were. Y-yay? Anyways, a forerunner shield world was built, and stuff, and recently, in 2558, there's now a mission to repopulate the Precursors. Y-yay?
    I'll be honest I already don't remember who said that.

IT CAN MELEE?????

Oh they just... are always dust. Okay. Sure. Weird ass mushroom folk.

In my defense I was looking past Em to the enemy.

Look, Zodi's competency increases proportional to the inconvenience it'd cause Em.
    Sibling instinct.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'll be honest I already don't remember who said that.

IT CAN MELEE?????

Oh they just... are always dust. Okay. Sure. Weird ass mushroom folk.
    It was Commander Lasky - his origin story was told in the Forward Unto Dawn tv movie thingy. Which is where he sees John Halo for the first time.

Yep! It can melee. Not intuitive, but I figured I'd mention it to you in case it becomes relevant.

Yeeeeeah. Of all the additions to the lore, they are just... weird.

8. - Top - End - #38

RELINQUISH YOUR CONTACT ESSENCE!

IT IS TIME FOR HALO FOUR AGAIN!

Zodi Plays: Halo 4 [5] GENESONG

Video Length: 53:55

In this episode, a very angry military man decides to use someone who explicitly saved the entire universe as a forward operating grunt at best. We do get access to some nice heavy weaponry that, as always, makes me quite happy (even if some of the explosions are quite a bit lackluster), and at some point we randomly tangent into some Forerunner ruins for perhaps one of the silliest plot dumps I've ever experienced.

Like, this is comparable to the star child in Mass Effect, for me (don't re-litigate this conversation wait for when I eventually do a Mass'd Effect). It is a jumble of proper nouns in the extreme, thrown around as if they have meaning that could possibly make sense in any capacity, with the gravitas of someone who thinks they're telling me a magnum opus. The COMPOSER (definition; someone who composes things, makes things, music oriented) which is of course a device to digitize beings for... cataloging? So why not just call it the Index- wait right that's a key to turn the Halo on for no reason. The reveal that the data ghost of the Librarian (a character you only know if you've read all the lore files in game) is here to help jump start our evolution (not a thing!!!!!!!) because oh hey when she was seeding Earth she did a LIIIIITTLE gene-modding to make humans predisposed to creating Master Chiefs and AIs and super weapons and so on and so forth, all so we could make a man whose gigabytes is too large to be transferred over to USB. Mr Hedgehog himself suddenly comes in with a "GIVE ME YOUR CONTACT ESSENCE" which makes NO sense, and the Librarian assures us that the genesong inside of us is going to help us save the world and I just.

It is hilarious. Every single second of this cutscene had me on the verge of laughing my ass off. I'm impressed. Then we get back to the angry army man and he's like "YOU'RE AN ANCIENT OLD MAAAAAAN WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE YOU" and meanwhile Master Chief is like, barely pushing 30 and this brainless loser has a receding hairline. Cortana understandably gets mad but since she accidently broke some stuff that means they know she's going rampant (which is explained as "thinking themselves to death" though as we saw in episode 2 Cortana may be immune to Rampancy, which means that the game has informed us that she will not die but instead just fall fully into her angry) and so Master Chief just kinda takes her USB and is all "okay going awol later nerd". Angriest army man in the world yells a lot, Em throws his hands up in frustration, and I laugh to the end.

The level was kinda eh, and clearly broken in some places, but the jet pack sniper time was fun! Hope you all enjoyed, we'll see you all next time!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, the very funny implications that come from Master Chief saving all of humanity repeatedly, and still being stuck as a Master Chief Petty Officer. A bunch of random schmucks technically outrank him and can send him on missions that are very much below his paygrade.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

On Mass Effect: Wait, we're doing THAT eventually!? *adds mass effect wiki to bookmarked things*

Halo 4 Log 005:
    ....*checks release dates* Mass effect 1 was in 2007 and Halo 4 came out in 2012, wow they DID ripoff Mass Effect!

mammoth seems like it was meant to be land-based version of a battleship or something

"commander the two MC's are killing each other repeatedly again"
    "don't worry about it, they're immortal, private."

the annoying part of all dogs: they get up right into your face and want all the attention.

yeah that....is ridiculous as all get out. the Forerunners literally built a weapon to take out a civilization one tech tier HIGHER than them and succeeded. both Forerunners and Precursors were capable of things that MC could do in his wildest dreams. were talking people who can blow up planets and travel to other galaxies, MC is JUST lucky. incredibly lucky.

Librarian: you are my only hope Master Chief!
    MC: *dies a few seconds later*

the tank is made of nintendium, obviously.

wait how did Cortana get back to the ship?

uh no, MC is NOT in his twenties. MC was born in 2511, and the current year is 2557, meaning he is 46 in sheer number of years, technically 41 in actual age if we subtract the years in stasis. Thats not peak performance anymore, no matter how you slice it. he is still middle aged, but....war is a young soldiers game. at some point there is only so much a body can take. so this commander guy is not entirely wrong when he says "aging Spartan".

Del Rio: Give. Me. That. Potato. Chip.
    Master Chief: No, I must eat it before the Didact, if you won't do it, I will.

also this is technically insubordination on both MC and the lieutenant's parts.

No, he hasn't been mostly in cryo-sleep zodi. MC has served in over 200 campaigns against the Covenant Empire in 27 years, and has earned every medal except prisoner of war. he's been doing this since he was 14. that doesn't leave a lot of time to sleep in cryo.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, Reclaimer. Subject to so much retconning... I'll put my thoughts on that at the end.

Ah, yeah, I see you, too, had the exact same reaction I did to the Spartan Company's name.

...really, Em? The only one mech was your clue this wasn't thought through for Co-Op??????

So, again, there is a reason for the Covenant to be in here. Lore-wise. It's a terrible justification... but if you want to know it, you have to read the Kilo-Five Trilogy. Or you can listen to me rant about it!

Halo music's always had the really weird thing of only doing, like, one loop. I know you've commented on it a few times.

The new big dropship's designation is the Lich, by the way.

Yeah, they changed the unzoom-when-shot mechanic.

So: The game describes it poorly. Humanity wasn't "running", the reason they attacked the Forerunners was to kill the Flood. They gave no warning so that the flood would have no chance to escape. And then the Forerunners (obviously) interpreted that wrong. (Also, the Sentinels aren't an army - they're for defense of Forerunner installations. The Diadect led the warrior caste - his Promethean warriors (which were the first Prometheans, before humans were used - this is only explained in a Terminal ).

-------

Okay, so, here's why Reclaimer (in new-canon), to the best of my knowledge. Keep in mind, this is going to get more stupid.

So, there's this whole central thing in Halo now called the geas (or, in this game, 'genesong'). Yes, the same origin as the D&D spell (but, hey, for once, no Capitals! Just italics instead). It's the whole "gene-programming-nonsense" thing. So... the Librarian gave a Geas to humanity (even ancient humanity). Which is later basically explicitly stated to be "to create Spartans" - so clearly Halsey is blameless and she was just carrying out the Librarian's geas. /s

But here's the even more stupid part. So, the Librarian has geased humanity. Well, the Precursors geased the Librarian. Her geas is to undo the harm that the Forerunners caused. ...yeah. And presumably elevating humanity to be the bearers of the Mantle is part of that.

The geas is awful, and abhorrent, and how it's been show to work is to basically enable near-total influence over a creature even if they're aware they shouldn't do the thing. It takes away all agency, and is a stupid character thing to have still doing major whatevers in your story!!! Even though the Librarian's geas on all of humanity isn't that potent, comparatively (hey, hey, have we rubbed in yet that the Forerunners are not nice people?), it's still awful, and I hate it.

Here's some helpful quotes from the Wiki on some of the consequences of the geas, drawn from the books! Pure gems!
    The Librarian also imposed a broader geas on the entire human race, which has affected them a great deal throughout their history following the activation of the Halo Array. The geas includes, among other things, a familiarity with Forerunner technology and control interfaces, as well as subconscious instructions on how to gradually achieve more sophisticated technology, including smart AIs and MJOLNIR armor. In addition, as a result of the Librarian's influence on humans, the basic image of what humans view as an ideal female is based upon the Librarian.

...oh, right. Reclaimer. It's because they're the Librarian's chosen, and the Librarian was at the forefront of the whole Halo/life-seeding/preservation project.

I always love how authority figures in media can always seem to quote these long giant precise subsections of regulations.

------

And here's the other stupid small world bit of lore I was hinting to you about. So... you know how the Prometheans are Composed humans? Well, what would you say if I told you that there was another character already who was a Composed human. See, Prometheans aren't the only ones who can be Composed. Take a guess who that might be.

Did you guess 343 Guilty Spark?
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-10-13 at 10:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

....wait really? the Librarian made her own image the ideal human woman in Haloverse? wow, she's like some fan fic writer but with genetic memory.....oh god Librarian is called that because she wrote self-insert human/forerunner fan fiction didn't she? then she decided to take to the next level and self-insert herself into human beings subconscious. your now playing out the Librarians human fan fiction right now, that is what is happening, now it all makes a horrible kind of sense....

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ....wait really? the Librarian made her own image the ideal human woman in Haloverse? wow, she's like some fan fic writer but with genetic memory.....oh god Librarian is called that because she wrote self-insert human/forerunner fan fiction didn't she? then she decided to take to the next level and self-insert herself into human beings subconscious. your now playing out the Librarians human fan fiction right now, that is what is happening, now it all makes a horrible kind of sense....
    I don't think it was a conscious choice, but rather the "ah, yes, there's the echoes of her in all our genes or whatever that influences the way we think." It's stupid either way.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Ah yes, the very funny implications that come from Master Chief saving all of humanity repeatedly, and still being stuck as a Master Chief Petty Officer. A bunch of random schmucks technically outrank him and can send him on missions that are very much below his paygrade.
    REALLY shouldn't call him Master Chief then. Mister Chief it is then.

On Mass Effect: Wait, we're doing THAT eventually!? *adds mass effect wiki to bookmarked things*

Halo 4 Log 005:
    ....*checks release dates* Mass effect 1 was in 2007 and Halo 4 came out in 2012, wow they DID ripoff Mass Effect!

mammoth seems like it was meant to be land-based version of a battleship or something

"commander the two MC's are killing each other repeatedly again"
    "don't worry about it, they're immortal, private."

the annoying part of all dogs: they get up right into your face and want all the attention.

yeah that....is ridiculous as all get out. the Forerunners literally built a weapon to take out a civilization one tech tier HIGHER than them and succeeded. both Forerunners and Precursors were capable of things that MC could do in his wildest dreams. were talking people who can blow up planets and travel to other galaxies, MC is JUST lucky. incredibly lucky.

Librarian: you are my only hope Master Chief!
    MC: *dies a few seconds later*

the tank is made of nintendium, obviously.

wait how did Cortana get back to the ship?

uh no, MC is NOT in his twenties. MC was born in 2511, and the current year is 2557, meaning he is 46 in sheer number of years, technically 41 in actual age if we subtract the years in stasis. Thats not peak performance anymore, no matter how you slice it. he is still middle aged, but....war is a young soldiers game. at some point there is only so much a body can take. so this commander guy is not entirely wrong when he says "aging Spartan".

Del Rio: Give. Me. That. Potato. Chip.
    Master Chief: No, I must eat it before the Didact, if you won't do it, I will.

also this is technically insubordination on both MC and the lieutenant's parts.

No, he hasn't been mostly in cryo-sleep zodi. MC has served in over 200 campaigns against the Covenant Empire in 27 years, and has earned every medal except prisoner of war. he's been doing this since he was 14. that doesn't leave a lot of time to sleep in cryo.
    Yeah I love Mass Effect and I definitely intend to play it At Some Point. Given its nature it may be a stream game as opposed to distinct videos.

At no point in this information delivered to the player, so I just sort of assumed Mister Chief would be roughly the age range of the target audience. Del Rio still feels entirely out of line given everything, but at the very least John is actually pretty old.

Ah, Reclaimer. Subject to so much retconning... I'll put my thoughts on that at the end.

Ah, yeah, I see you, too, had the exact same reaction I did to the Spartan Company's name.

...really, Em? The only one mech was your clue this wasn't thought through for Co-Op??????

So, again, there is a reason for the Covenant to be in here. Lore-wise. It's a terrible justification... but if you want to know it, you have to read the Kilo-Five Trilogy. Or you can listen to me rant about it!

Halo music's always had the really weird thing of only doing, like, one loop. I know you've commented on it a few times.

The new big dropship's designation is the Lich, by the way.

Yeah, they changed the unzoom-when-shot mechanic.

So: The game describes it poorly. Humanity wasn't "running", the reason they attacked the Forerunners was to kill the Flood. They gave no warning so that the flood would have no chance to escape. And then the Forerunners (obviously) interpreted that wrong. (Also, the Sentinels aren't an army - they're for defense of Forerunner installations. The Diadect led the warrior caste - his Promethean warriors (which were the first Prometheans, before humans were used - this is only explained in a Terminal ).

-------

Okay, so, here's why Reclaimer (in new-canon), to the best of my knowledge. Keep in mind, this is going to get more stupid.

So, there's this whole central thing in Halo now called the geas (or, in this game, 'genesong'). Yes, the same origin as the D&D spell (but, hey, for once, no Capitals! Just italics instead). It's the whole "gene-programming-nonsense" thing. So... the Librarian gave a Geas to humanity (even ancient humanity). Which is later basically explicitly stated to be "to create Spartans" - so clearly Halsey is blameless and she was just carrying out the Librarian's geas. /s

But here's the even more stupid part. So, the Librarian has geased humanity. Well, the Precursors geased the Librarian. Her geas is to undo the harm that the Forerunners caused. ...yeah. And presumably elevating humanity to be the bearers of the Mantle is part of that.

The geas is awful, and abhorrent, and how it's been show to work is to basically enable near-total influence over a creature even if they're aware they shouldn't do the thing. It takes away all agency, and is a stupid character thing to have still doing major whatevers in your story!!! Even though the Librarian's geas on all of humanity isn't that potent, comparatively (hey, hey, have we rubbed in yet that the Forerunners are not nice people?), it's still awful, and I hate it.

Here's some helpful quotes from the Wiki on some of the consequences of the geas, drawn from the books! Pure gems!

...oh, right. Reclaimer. It's because they're the Librarian's chosen, and the Librarian was at the forefront of the whole Halo/life-seeding/preservation project.

I always love how authority figures in media can always seem to quote these long giant precise subsections of regulations.

------

And here's the other stupid small world bit of lore I was hinting to you about. So... you know how the Prometheans are Composed humans? Well, what would you say if I told you that there was another character already who was a Composed human. See, Prometheans aren't the only ones who can be Composed. Take a guess who that might be.

Did you guess 343 Guilty Spark?
    It's always a good sign when someone asks an innocent question and everyone who knows the deep lore just pulls up a chair and goes "ooho boy we're in for a long one".

In Em's defense it is one of many of his tells that this game may not have been properly made for two peeps.

I'm torn between "is Lich pushing it as a name for the various gribbly ghost names for Covenant ships?" and "yeah no that tracks".

They attacked the Forerunners to kill... the Flood. Instead of attacking... the Flood, to kill the Flood. Yeah that tracks. And okay so the Didact had just been turning people into robot warrior servants this entire time and it wasn't until he did it to humans that people were like "hey hold up wait a minute"?

"The Geas (in this game, Genesong)" oh my god I love bad sci fi. When you told me this was going to get dumber I thought it was a warning, not a THREAT!! Hahahaha...

My favorite part about bad fiction is when the writers decide that no one does something of their own volition, but because they were forced to do it by grand destiny etched into their genes by a slightly higher power. I love it when characters don't have agency! It's so good and not bad at all! This isn't to say you CAN'T have this as a plot point, just that you better make it clear that when they do figure it out they're uh... horrified, that someone forced them to be genetically predisposed to doing the thing.

"In addition, as a result of the Librarian's influence on humans, the basic image of what humans view as an ideal female is based upon the Librarian."

I refuse to believe this. I know it's true because you wouldn't steer me wrong but there's no ****ing way that the writers made this ugly hedgehog lady explicit modify all humanity down to the very genetic code to find her to be the pinnacle of beauty. There is no ****ing way they wrote something THAT stupid.

My favorite omake joke from Fullmetal Alchemist is that she will occassionally just redraw dramatic moments with big speeches from the series, but in a comedic style, and half way through the speech they just bite their tongue and interrupt it with "ACK! I BIT MY TONGUE!!". It's never not funny.

Okay, so, about this info regarding Guilty Spark... given he is an AI, and we know that human AI is likely based on Forerunner tech (in a sane world because we found Foreurnner tech, in canon because of the Genesong) then it actually kind of tracks that Spark and the other friend shaped robots would be made the same way; ie by killing a brain to copy it into a robot. But that begs the question of... how is Guilty Spark a human? Wouldn't he be a Forerunner?

And, most importantly, why the **** is this relevant and information that would be presented by the game? Guilty Spark is dead.

... unless since he's composed that means they have back ups of him.

This is canon as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think it was a conscious choice, but rather the "ah, yes, there's the echoes of her in all our genes or whatever that influences the way we think." It's stupid either way.
    I refuse to believe this too, purely because this is not something you just accidentally do, I feel. How would this even happen?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-10-13 at 10:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so, about this info regarding Guilty Spark... given he is an AI, and we know that human AI is likely based on Forerunner tech (in a sane world because we found Foreurnner tech, in canon because of the Genesong) then it actually kind of tracks that Spark and the other friend shaped robots would be made the same way; ie by killing a brain to copy it into a robot. But that begs the question of... how is Guilty Spark a human? Wouldn't he be a Forerunner?

And, most importantly, why the **** is this relevant and information that would be presented by the game? Guilty Spark is dead.

... unless since he's composed that means they have back ups of him.
    So! This is not relevant to this game! Or even in this game! It's in the Forerunner trilogy, and a short story in the present day! The human who became Guilty Spark was alive millions of years ago, as one of the human companions to the Iso-Diadact (the one that doesn't appear in this game) on his journey to become the Diadact. He was Composed at the end of the series after being mortally wounded in an attempt to save him, and put into a Monitor body.

Also, Guilty Spark is actually still alive. Or... at least his consciousness is? He survived, badly damaged, and was recovered by ONI as they noticed his signal from the Ark as their investigative ship was scanning. They questioned him on stuff when they brought him onboard, and he ended up dying... but actually wrote himself into the ONI computers, so took control of the ship (and sleeping gassed the ONI agents), and then plotted a course in a belief that he could find the Librarian.

AND NONE OF THIS MATTERS, EVER.

Oops, also I forgot this part:

They attacked the Forerunners to kill... the Flood. Instead of attacking... the Flood, to kill the Flood. Yeah that tracks. And okay so the Didact had just been turning people into robot warrior servants this entire time and it wasn't until he did it to humans that people were like "hey hold up wait a minute"?
    They were attacking the Flood, the Flood was just in Forerunner space and they weren't aware of what it actually was. They were trying to basically exterminate everything to stop it from spreading.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-10-13 at 10:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so, slight addition to the 343 Guilty Spark bit (because I actually looked up the book):

So... apparently, the Librarian's signal or whatever that he detected wasn't her, as he discovered after crashing the ship on a shield world (the destroyed one from Halo Wars), and being the only survivor, and then getting picked up by a salvage crew which included John Forge's daughter.

Instead... *sigh* It was a holographic imprint of the Librarian. Buried under Mount Kilimanjaro. Where she had spent her final days before the firing of the rings.

And then after meeting the Librarian, Spark decides to stay with his 'human friends that he'd been waiting one hundred thousand years for'. And becoming the new AI of their salvage ship, still on the run from ONI (since, obviously they still want Spark). And are chasing after the Spirit of Fire. Also, he was given the coordinates to a 'safe place' by the Librarian's personality imprint? And is important. Because of course he is.

Also he'd along the journey discovered the 'breadcrumbs' left by Serena that let them know that Forge was dead and so they held a funeral for him? And he was able to give Forge's daughter Forge's final message? C-closure? Also, Guilty Spark sings.

I could be making up any part of this up, and you wouldn't know. ...but I'm not. And you know that, and that makes it worse.

And then (say it with me) NONE OF THIS EVER MATTERS. Despite the importance things put on stuff, it's just an endless array of baiting and switching and playing around with the same things, and getting nowhere.

AAAAAAAGH.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-10-14 at 09:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

So! This is not relevant to this game! Or even in this game! It's in the Forerunner trilogy, and a short story in the present day! The human who became Guilty Spark was alive millions of years ago, as one of the human companions to the Iso-Diadact (the one that doesn't appear in this game) on his journey to become the Diadact. He was Composed at the end of the series after being mortally wounded in an attempt to save him, and put into a Monitor body.

Also, Guilty Spark is actually still alive. Or... at least his consciousness is? He survived, badly damaged, and was recovered by ONI as they noticed his signal from the Ark as their investigative ship was scanning. They questioned him on stuff when they brought him onboard, and he ended up dying... but actually wrote himself into the ONI computers, so took control of the ship (and sleeping gassed the ONI agents), and then plotted a course in a belief that he could find the Librarian.

AND NONE OF THIS MATTERS, EVER.

Oops, also I forgot this part:

They were attacking the Flood, the Flood was just in Forerunner space and they weren't aware of what it actually was. They were trying to basically exterminate everything to stop it from spreading.
    God hates me that ****ing orb is still alive!!!!!

Well, they did a very poor job of that.

Okay, so, slight addition to the 343 Guilty Spark bit (because I actually looked up the book):

So... apparently, the Librarian's signal or whatever that he detected wasn't her, as he discovered after crashing the ship on a shield world (the destroyed one from Halo Wars), and being the only survivor, and then getting picked up by a salvage crew which included John Forge's daughter.

Instead... *sigh* It was a holographic imprint of the Librarian. Buried under Mount Kilimanjaro. Where she had spent her final days before the firing of the rings.

And then after meeting the Librarian, Spark decides to stay with his 'human friends that he'd been waiting one hundred thousand years for'. And becoming the new AI of their salvage ship, still on the run from ONI (since, obviously they still want Spark). And are chasing after the Spirit of Fire. Also, he was given the coordinates to a 'safe place' by the Librarian's personality imprint? And is important. Because of course he is.

Also he'd along the journey discovered the 'breadcrumbs' left by Serena that let them know that Forge was dead and so they held a funeral for him? And he was able to give Forge's daughter Forge's final message? C-closure? Also, Guilty Spark sings.

I could be making up any part of this up, and you wouldn't know. ...but I'm not. And you know that, and that makes it worse.

And then (say it with me) NONE OF THIS EVER MATTERS. Despite the importance things put on stuff, it's just an endless array of baiting and switching and playing around with the same things, and getting nowhere.

AAAAAAAGH.
    I have no idea who John Forge is, and all of this sounds horrendously overcomplicated and/or the cute little connective tissue a fan would use to make like, a TTRPG for their friends who love Halo. What the ****.

Em mentioned to me that the geas (obviously) sounds way way WAY to magical and fantasy for a sci fi series... and everything you've said with Spark here seems to slot right into that same feeling.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I think John Forge is one of the commanders from Halo Wars but I cannot for the life of me remember for sure.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

God hates me that ****ing orb is still alive!!!!!
    ...well, technically he's no longer an orb. That body got destroyed.

I have no idea who John Forge is, and all of this sounds horrendously overcomplicated and/or the cute little connective tissue a fan would use to make like, a TTRPG for their friends who love Halo. What the ****.
    I think John Forge is one of the commanders from Halo Wars but I cannot for the life of me remember for sure.
    Ah, yeah, sorry. I forgot that I only mentioned Halo Wars in relations to the Shield world. The Spirit of Fire is the ship from there, Serena is the ship's AI, and John Forge is one of the commanders (who sacrifices himself at the end of the story in the exact same way Jorge would later do in Reach - they even have similar names, Forge/Jorge!).

So, yeah. It's just canon welding of the most awful degree. And this is coming from me, where I adore Halo Wars!!!

Em mentioned to me that the geas (obviously) sounds way way WAY to magical and fantasy for a sci fi series... and everything you've said with Spark here seems to slot right into that same feeling.
    Oh, it absolutely is. What it does is "exactly what the author needs it to depending on the situation, and can even vary."

And, yeah. Like... I get that it's all sci-fi-y, but... it's not exploring anything with Spark. It's "find the lost message thing and become a chosen one and blah blah blah."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Halo Wars was pretty fun, but it's definitely one of those games I played through once when it came out and never touched again.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-10-14 at 07:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Halo Wars was pretty fun, but it's definitely one of those games I played through once when it came out and never touched again.
    I played the Campaign... 1.5 times (got stuck on the timed Flood level the first time), and played a lot of multiplayer, just having fun with all the different armies the game let me do. Yes, I would like 2 Scarabs. Or singlehandedly killing through stuff as the Arbiter. Or an army of Gauss Hogs and Hawks.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I guess Halo Wars had a limited shelf life. I played through the campaign maybe three times, just to get all the xbox achievements. Then once more ten years later for nostalgia value. Probably no more than 40 or 50 hours total.

I'd still say it's my favourite halo game though.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I guess Halo Wars had a limited shelf life. I played through the campaign maybe three times, just to get all the xbox achievements. Then once more ten years later for nostalgia value. Probably no more than 40 or 50 hours total.

I'd still say it's my favourite halo game though.
    The Cinematics for me are still amazing (to me). I've probably watched through those more than I've played the game. Especially the Spartans vs Elites.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Halo Wars 2 is also really good. I don't play it so much, but I still regularly watch people with actual skill play matches on YouTube.

Also, submitted my rendition of Atriox to a 3.5 villain competition on this very forum. (Apologies for the format being more than a little janky; I was still pretty new to the forum at that point and hadn't figured out how to style my posts beyond spoiler blocks.) EDIT: The build does include spoilers for HW 2, but nothing that isn't revealed in the first mission (and also in the promotional trailers).

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the Banished again in Halo Infinite; they make for a much more legitimate and interesting threat than Jul 'Mdama's remnant of the Covenant.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-10-15 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, so... might want to please spoiler the stuff regarding that in the timeline which Zodi hasn't gotten to yet?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hey, so... might want to please spoiler the stuff regarding that in the timeline which Zodi hasn't gotten to yet?
    Fair enough, though I do think the existence of the Banished or their presence in future game(s) hardly counts as a spoiler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

27. - Top - End - #57

Just an idea of how to judge what to keep spoiled.

Until we started playing Halo 3 I didn't even know Halo 5 existed. Assume that anything beyond 3 is a game that just came out yesterday, because it 100% is.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Just an idea of how to judge what to keep spoiled.

Until we started playing Halo 3 I didn't even know Halo 5 existed. Assume that anything beyond 3 is a game that just came out yesterday, because it 100% is.
    Ah, you were blessed by the Halo gods.

Yeah, I've been careful to try and never touch on anything that has any game presence until you get to that point. (But don't worry, there's a lot of that! Hence the crux of my rants!)

29. - Top - End - #59

We missed a week, but Halo 4 returns!

Zodi Plays: Halo 4 [6] Shut Down and Tune Out

Video Length: 35:52

In this episode... Master Chief continues his defection from the UNSC military in order to do the right thing, even if the rude higher up man doesn't want him to. It involves flying a rather powerful Pelican like plane all around to various locations, evocative of that one level from Reach but slightly less interesting (but no less fun, especially since we're introduced to my new best friend the Incinerator). It also has some actually pretty good stuff in it, like the opening cutscene where Cortana bemoans the fact that despite all her Knowledge, she will never truly know if this artificial sun feels fake or not. She has no foundation for what is Real, and that is hurting her.

It's stuff like this that makes me feel like, 343 is trying stuff with Halo 4 that COULD work, but they're just missing the mark, and it's sad to see. At least the game is mechanically fun though! And I hope you're all enjoying our going through it. See you all next time!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

This is a section that makes it abundantly clear the game is not meant for co-op. Because, uh, unlike in Reach, there's no dynamic multiple-direction banshee attacks or whatever. So, if you stay at a reasonable distance, the gunner has literally nothing to do. The Pelican is cool, and this is the first time you can pilot one without cheats/glitches... but it's so disappointing and pointless a section.

...oh, huh, I didn't know about rocket turret on the top. Or, actually, I think I did, forgot, and then didn't rediscover it the second time.

I see you didn't learn about the alt-fire for the Pelican. Where instead of the autocannon, you got a Spartan Laser. (You use the swap-weapon button to get it, like you do with Banshee Bombs.)
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2021-10-28 at 12:26 AM.