A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 863
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    I think the answer to this lies somewhere in the mess of unknowns we still have.

    We don't know what the IFCC's plan is, or even what their goals are (beyond, you know, making evil triumphant over all realities). The only thing we know is that one part of their plan involved ensuring the destruction of one of the gates.
    Before the Girard gate was destroyed. As of that edit of their plan, two gates were still intact.
    We don't know the whole story of what led to Serini's current outlook in life, that could easily inform a lot of things.
    We know at best some parts of it.
    There's also some lesser unknowns strewn about (I mean, my personal theory is that Kraagor's fate isn't quite as we've been led to believe, it'd certainly be odd for every other member of the Scribbles to be heavily developed except him...).
    Mild disagreement. What makes Kraagor so important is that his demise during a crucial battle with the Snarl, and how that battle was handled tactically, led to the Order splitting. The vitriol between Soon, Girard, Dorukan (I am not sure where Lirian stood in this dispute) was severe, to the point of the imperfect compromise that was finally agreed to at Serini's prompting. Kraagor, and specifically Kraagor's death, weighs heavily upon this story.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hurkyl is in complete agreement with Serini
    Not really.

    In regard to her decision to keep the Order out, I'm of split opinion. She has a very good and valid point about their track record that I can't rebuff, but I don't find it convincing either.

    I'm advocating her position since my opinion since, in my opinion, people are greatly undervaluing her point and overestimating their cases against. I'm not sure I would have bothered joining the discussion if it weren't taken to the extreme of actually calling her a moron over it and similar things.

    Regarding keeping her secrecy seriously, I do applaud her over that, assuming that is what is what she was actually doing rather than just being anti-social or somesuch.
    Last edited by Hurkyl; 2021-09-21 at 01:50 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kapeji View Post
    Dunce Waffle, ROFL!
    ROFL waffles?

    ....Okay, the ebay-related story that I knew that phrase (which I wanted to link to) from is apparently impossible to find on the internet anymore but there's something new about Roblox?

    I guess my post just has to make no sense forever because I can't make a hyperlink....
    Thank you, Devil's Advocate for sending me this link so I can finally erase my old signature!

    https://forums.giantitp.com/profile....=editsignature

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I still feel like I'm missing something. What is giving you the impression that they even know each other?
    I have no such impression per se. As I've said, it's just a guess that that's where she got her information. The Oracle is a known source of information that may otherwise be untenable to attain. It stands to reason that Serini may have utilized such a source to discover what happened to the other Gates as they fell, especially since she would know when they did thanks to their tracker. It's a very short hop from "maybe she asked the Oracle for information" to "and also maybe she wasn't a **** to him so he have her helpful answers to boot". Still a guess, but the second part doesn't seem like a stretch to me.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-21 at 06:40 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    A Shallow Grave

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I have no such impression per se. As I've said, it's just a guess that that's where she got her information. The Oracle is a known source of information that may otherwise be untenable to attain. It stands to reason that Serini may have utilized such a source to discover what happened to the other Gates as they fell, especially since she would know when they did thanks to their tracker. It's a very short hop from "maybe she asked the Oracle for information" to "and also maybe she wasn't a **** to him so he have her helpful answers to boot". Still a guess, but the second part doesn't seem like a stretch to me.
    I agree, she could easily have an ongoing relationship with the oracle. What people are missing with Serini is that she is capable of doing EXACTLY what the Order needs right now, finding common ground with the evil races. The Order doesn't know it yet but she is the living embodiment of what Roy and Durkon were just talking about in the last scene, maybe these evil races don't need to be killed on sight, but can be talked to, and reasoned with. I suspect she's more than just someone to defeat, but I doubt she's going to do the work for the order.

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    I agree, she could easily have an ongoing relationship with the oracle. What people are missing with Serini is that she is capable of doing EXACTLY what the Order needs right now, finding common ground with the evil races. The Order doesn't know it yet but she is the living embodiment of what Roy and Durkon were just talking about in the last scene, maybe these evil races don't need to be killed on sight, but can be talked to, and reasoned with. I suspect she's more than just someone to defeat, but I doubt she's going to do the work for the order.
    The problem is that I'm not terribly sure she cares much about the PC races. Or like, cares enough to be considered Good for stuff besides the world surviving in general and her immediate adoptive family.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

    Extended signature here.

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    I agree, she could easily have an ongoing relationship with the oracle. What people are missing with Serini is that she is capable of doing EXACTLY what the Order needs right now, finding common ground with the evil races. The Order doesn't know it yet but she is the living embodiment of what Roy and Durkon were just talking about in the last scene, maybe these evil races don't need to be killed on sight, but can be talked to, and reasoned with. I suspect she's more than just someone to defeat, but I doubt she's going to do the work for the order.
    Personally, I suspect she knows something about the World-Within-the-World. Purely because we need someone to eventually shed some light on that plot point and we know that neither Team Evil, nor any of the Order's allies, nor the gods (except Odin but he's senile) know anything about it.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The MunchKING's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Xykon also treats monsters the same as he treats people - so maybe he could ask some special favours of the oracle too.
    And he got one!

    The Oracle was out of town, so Xykon didn't have to hear about his crushing and inevitable loss to the plucky protagonists.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The MunchKING's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Or a being or group of beings with strong enough scrying to punch through the defenses of the throne room, that Serini believes is an accurate source of information but actually has their own agenda may have left out the context.

    I mean, it's the most likely that she just used a crystal ball just when O-Chul was debriefing the others and she just saw that part, but I wouldn't write off the IFCC having their fingers in this pie somehow.
    The problem is Tsukiko was quite clear that he was still under Cloister at the time. So either she had balls capable of punching though Epic Magic, or she needs some other way to do it.

    If she had a Crystal Ball capable of piercing Epic Spells, she could have also pierced the more mundane blockage on the Throne Room.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I have no such impression per se. As I've said, it's just a guess that that's where she got her information. The Oracle is a known source of information that may otherwise be untenable to attain. It stands to reason that Serini may have utilized such a source to discover what happened to the other Gates as they fell, especially since she would know when they did thanks to their tracker. It's a very short hop from "maybe she asked the Oracle for information" to "and also maybe she wasn't a **** to him so he have her helpful answers to boot". Still a guess, but the second part doesn't seem like a stretch to me.
    It's not impossible, but for me, the cutaway plus the specificity of her recounting (down to the katana) suggests she actually saw what happened there herself. Whether she had a front-row seat in the room, was scrying the battle, or saw a recording of some kind aren't clear, but I doubt it was a second-hand retelling, even an Oracular one.

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    And he got one!

    The Oracle was out of town, so Xykon didn't have to hear about his crushing and inevitable loss to the plucky protagonists.
    I refuse to believe that was a coincidence; the Oracle is making sure to avoid Xykon at all costs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Personally, I suspect she knows something about the World-Within-the-World. Purely because we need someone to eventually shed some light on that plot point and we know that neither Team Evil, nor any of the Order's allies, nor the gods (except Odin but he's senile) know anything about it.
    The IFCC might. We still have no idea what their plans are, save that they think it will end up toppling the good gods. A massive influx of previously-snarled souls might do that?

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    The problem is Tsukiko was quite clear that he was still under Cloister at the time. So either she had balls capable of punching though Epic Magic, or she needs some other way to do it.

    If she had a Crystal Ball capable of piercing Epic Spells, she could have also pierced the more mundane blockage on the Throne Room.
    To be fair, the Cloister didn't go up until after the Gate was destroyed, so if she had a means of scrying the throne room it would have worked in time for her to see O-Chul and Miko taking swings at the sapphire.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-09-21 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    I was more going for "she has an information source that scries for her but she doesn't know it's the IFCC" because that's totally something they'd do and it's not like Serini's got a lot of ways to double-check if their information is accurate if they don't tell her what they are.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

    Extended signature here.

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I refuse to believe that was a coincidence; the Oracle is making sure to avoid Xykon at all costs.
    That's how I read it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I was more going for "she has an information source that scries for her but she doesn't know it's the IFCC" because that's totally something they'd do and it's not like Serini's got a lot of ways to double-check if their information is accurate if they don't tell her what they are.
    Ooh, I like where you are taking this. IFCC shenanigans need to crop up in this volume somewhere, don't they?
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  13. - Top - End - #433
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    I don't expect any kind of link between the IFCC and Serini. The IFCC have specifically said they can only interfere through their agents (the LG) or when making a deal, neither of which Serini has any reason to pursue.

    I do expect them to know something about the Gates (or at least have an idea for them) that no other faction has considered. Plus, I think we need an unequivocal Bigger Bad after Xykon (whose ambitions are quite petty on a cosmic scale) and Redcloak/The Dark One (who are somewhat sympathetic, methods notwithstanding).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    It’d make sense for them to use an agent to feed her information that’d play into her biases if you ask me. This is wild guessing of course, but that’s their MO and they’ve got to interfere somehow.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

    Extended signature here.

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    I fully agree they're going to interfere, but they don't need Serini for that. They can hijack V at the worst possible time, send Sabine up north etc. And if they were feeding her misinformation, we'd see some hint that they have someone in her ear, but Serini seems to be acting alone + her "family."

    The one thing we know about their plans is that they wanted Girard's gate destroyed. Whether that was purely to force a climactic confrontation between the other factions at the North Pole, or because they see some clear advantage to all the gates being destroyed and the gods unmaking the world right away (much like Hel did) remains to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  16. - Top - End - #436
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't expect any kind of link between the IFCC and Serini. The IFCC have specifically said they can only interfere through their agents (the LG) or when making a deal, neither of which Serini has any reason to pursue.
    I don't think it's reasonable to assume that we've met every single one of their agents.

    Or to entirely rule out Sabine or Qarr making contact before, after, or even during the linear guild involvement. Sabine could pretend to be anybody. Qarr has unlimited teleporting, so he could have popped over every time Zz'd'zz'it was trancing.
    Excuses and explanations are different.

    Sometimes when there can be no excuses we must look the hardest for explanations.

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's not impossible, but for me, the cutaway plus the specificity of her recounting (down to the katana) suggests she actually saw what happened there herself. Whether she had a front-row seat in the room, was scrying the battle, or saw a recording of some kind aren't clear, but I doubt it was a second-hand retelling, even an Oracular one.
    I actually largely agree with most of that. The problem is we know that area was scry proof, and I'm not sure of any way to do a recording (at least, not by someone who wasn't there to witness it, and the known parties haven't said a word on the exact details so far as we know). To me, the greatest likelihood was that she was there herself or found out from a reliable source, and the Oracle simply seems easier than whatever would need to happen both mechanically and plot-wise for her to have been there at the time yet not finished off Xykon when a single blow could have done him off for good.

    Heck, that very last bit I didn't even think of until I was writing it, but it's a nice cap on the whole thing. It's not impossible, I just think not being there is simpler and more plausible given what we know so far.

    ETA: Also, I don't think the IFF knows anything that we do not concerning the rifts. Heck, they got it like fifth-hand!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-21 at 11:09 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I actually largely agree with most of that. The problem is we know that area was scry proof, and I'm not sure of any way to do a recording (at least, not by someone who wasn't there to witness it, and the known parties haven't said a word on the exact details so far as we know).
    We know that the Outer Planes (or at least their waiting rooms) amplify scrying spells/effects to such a degree that the far-from-epic Eugene can simply breach Xykon's Cloister for Roy. Acquiring a scroll of Lesser Planar Ally and getting a Teevo (or something to that effect) set up on the "clouds" sounds cheap and easy for one such as Serini.
    Heck, if Evil adventurers can Plane Shift into Celestia proper, she can probably get into the waiting room and do it herself.

    To me, the greatest likelihood was that she was there herself or found out from a reliable source, and the Oracle simply seems easier than whatever would need to happen both mechanically and plot-wise for her to have been there at the time yet not finished off Xykon when a single blow could have done him off for good.
    Come now. We all know she wants Team Evil to win.

    ETA: Also, I don't think the IFF knows anything that we do not concerning the rifts. Heck, they got it like fifth-hand!
    I don't know that. They have very potent options for "scry on anything". I bet they know at least as much as we do, maybe more.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-09-21 at 11:20 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    We know that the Outer Planes (or at least their waiting rooms) amplify scrying spells/effects to such a degree that the far-from-epic Eugene can simply breach Xykon's Cloister for Roy. Acquiring a scroll of Lesser Planar Ally and getting a Teevo (or something to that effect) set up on the "clouds" sounds cheap and easy for one such as Serini.
    Assuming she is aware of it. Neither Xykon nor Redcloak are.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    nor Redcloak
    …
    Granted, but there's a little problem with your theory as well. I absolutely love the Oracle; he's one of my favourite characters (I'd even rank him above the sideshave bodyguard at the Godsmoot!), in fact. But he's not a jolly misunderstood fellow pushing back against those that harm him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    [At the end of the scene with the two cute lizardfolk spellcasters who are absolutely awesome and I love them too t]he Oracle says, "Say hello to your boss for me," because it's small talk, and he's being friendly. Given that the Oracle is usually a jackass, this in turn reveals something about his personality: He is friendly and jovial to fellow reptilians, but not to mammals.
    Last I checked, halflings (and trolls) were mammals.

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I refuse to believe that was a coincidence; the Oracle is making sure to avoid Xykon at all costs.
    I don't believe there is much coincidence when the Oracle is concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't expect any kind of link between the IFCC and Serini. The IFCC have specifically said they can only interfere through their agents (the LG) or when making a deal, neither of which Serini has any reason to pursue.
    We are not sure how many agents they have and what are they. We know they were using the LG, but the LG is gone. They probably have taken steps to get new tools. Sabine is explicitly looking for some.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The one thing we know about their plans is that they wanted Girard's gate destroyed. Whether that was purely to force a climactic confrontation between the other factions at the North Pole, or because they see some clear advantage to all the gates being destroyed and the gods unmaking the world right away (much like Hel did) remains to be seen.
    One of the question about them is that outsiders' minds are supposedly wiped after each world. How the IFCC are planning to avoid this? Did they perform to avoid this already once?


    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's not impossible, but for me, the cutaway plus the specificity of her recounting (down to the katana) suggests she actually saw what happened there herself. Whether she had a front-row seat in the room, was scrying the battle, or saw a recording of some kind aren't clear, but I doubt it was a second-hand retelling, even an Oracular one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I actually largely agree with most of that. The problem is we know that area was scry proof, and I'm not sure of any way to do a recording (at least, not by someone who wasn't there to witness it, and the known parties haven't said a word on the exact details so far as we know). To me, the greatest likelihood was that she was there herself or found out from a reliable source, and the Oracle simply seems easier than whatever would need to happen both mechanically and plot-wise for her to have been there at the time yet not finished off Xykon when a single blow could have done him off for good.
    Scrying is not the only solution. Serini could have access to superior form of mind-reading. She could have seen the events of the Throne room directly into O-Chul's mind.
    There is also the possibility to speak with the deceased souls in some way.
    I don't remember if there were core ways to do this efficiently in 3.5, but the Giant is perfectly able to homebrew spells for story's sake.
    ------- 5E MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage. - - Petrocorus' Paladin Builds List. - - French vs. English

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Do you know who saw what happened in the throne room?

    Xykon. Redcloak. Soon.

    Serini could have asked any of them.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-09-21 at 01:25 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Do you know who saw what happened in the throne room?

    Xykon. Redcloak. Soon.

    Serini could have asked any of them.
    I am pressing X.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  24. - Top - End - #444
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    A Shallow Grave

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I fully agree they're going to interfere, but they don't need Serini for that. They can hijack V at the worst possible time, send Sabine up north etc. And if they were feeding her misinformation, we'd see some hint that they have someone in her ear, but Serini seems to be acting alone + her "family."

    The one thing we know about their plans is that they wanted Girard's gate destroyed. Whether that was purely to force a climactic confrontation between the other factions at the North Pole, or because they see some clear advantage to all the gates being destroyed and the gods unmaking the world right away (much like Hel did) remains to be seen.
    They stated they want never ending conflict, Another few billion worlds at a few thousand years each before another god has a different color quiddity arises sounds like just what they (say) that they want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Do you know who saw what happened in the throne room?

    Xykon. Redcloak. Soon.

    Serini could have asked any of them.
    Except two of those folks would kill her on sight and the other is dead. Yeah there's magic to bring him back or speak to dead, but I doubt it. A simple crystal ball would have done it despite her rule against the practice. There was no cloister then, and if the third gate is about to fall I'm sure that would get her attention.
    Last edited by Skull the Troll; 2021-09-21 at 01:57 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The MunchKING's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I refuse to believe that was a coincidence; the Oracle is making sure to avoid Xykon at all costs.
    That was the "special favors" the Oracle gave Xykon, was my point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    To be fair, the Cloister didn't go up until after the Gate was destroyed, so if she had a means of scrying the throne room it would have worked in time for her to see O-Chul and Miko taking swings at the sapphire.
    That was what I was talking about about breaking the scrying wards in the Throne Room.

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I was more going for "she has an information source that scries for her but she doesn't know it's the IFCC" because that's totally something they'd do and it's not like Serini's got a lot of ways to double-check if their information is accurate if they don't tell her what they are.
    They DID show they could scry on Cloistered stuff. So no doubt they could have seen through the ordinary scry shielding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Do you know who saw what happened in the throne room?

    Xykon. Redcloak. Soon.

    Serini could have asked any of them.
    My guess was Soon's ghost who thought with the destruction of the Gate ended his Oaths to non-communication, and agreed to tell her what was going on.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    They stated they want never ending conflict, Another few billion worlds at a few thousand years each before another god has a different color quiddity arises sounds like just what they (say) that they want.
    I'm not so sure this is what they meant. What good is billions of worlds if they, as non-deity outsiders, get wiped and reset every time? I rather think they're after something a bit more final/beneficial to themselves, or at least disruptive to the current status quo. (Do they even get to keep their souls when the world gets reset and the gods move on to the next idea?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    My guess was Soon's ghost who thought with the destruction of the Gate ended his Oaths to non-communication, and agreed to tell her what was going on.
    Yeah, sure, he considered it very important to emphasize that the Gate was destroyed with the personal katana of one O-Chul ("bald, bearded tough guy with a scar; don't trust him, he's a destroyer of Gates"). Very likely.

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Feb 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Scrying is not the only solution. Serini could have access to superior form of mind-reading. She could have seen the events of the Throne room directly into O-Chul's mind.
    There is also the possibility to speak with the deceased souls in some way.
    I don't remember if there were core ways to do this efficiently in 3.5, but the Giant is perfectly able to homebrew spells for story's sake.
    I don't think it's likely at all, but I'm amused by the idea of Serini using a prior cauldron of amnesia potion to question the paladins and wipe their memories of it. Possibly more than once. Then it would look like she had inside info somehow, but no it was just them telling her and forgetting about it.

    Again, unlikely. Just a funny idea to me.

  29. - Top - End - #449
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Windscion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Also: Serini takes too much pride/pleasure is lying to paladins for Soon to be her go-to guy for such info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25
    They carry their spears in their hearts!
    Because some adventurers left them there.

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The MunchKING's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Yeah, sure, he considered it very important to emphasize that the Gate was destroyed with the personal katana of one O-Chul ("bald, bearded tough guy with a scar; don't trust him, he's a destroyer of Gates"). Very likely.
    Well, but he's one of the only ones who knew anything about Miko's role.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •