A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 863
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    …
    Being a female troll sounds… Uncomfortable.
    Eh, horses are walking around on their middle fingers. Life, uh, finds a way.

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Maybe the Oracle *IS* the Snarl!

    Like, what if the snarl *wants* the PCs to do… whatever it is they’re going to do… and has pretended to be the Oracle, in order to manipulate the world to make it happen?

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    massachusetts
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Maybe the Oracle *IS* the Snarl!

    Like, what if the snarl *wants* the PCs to do… whatever it is they’re going to do… and has pretended to be the Oracle, in order to manipulate the world to make it happen?
    This can't be the case, because we already know the Snarl is Redcloak's niece.

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Maybe Red Cloak's Niece is actually The Giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Meridianville AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    This can't be the case, because we already know the Snarl is Redcloak's niece.
    But the oracle is ALSO Redcloak's niece, so it all fits together.

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Maybe the Oracle *IS* the Snarl!

    Like, what if the snarl *wants* the PCs to do… whatever it is they’re going to do… and has pretended to be the Oracle, in order to manipulate the world to make it happen?
    Spoiler: Matt Smith Doctor Who
    Show
    It's about as plausible as a hyperintelligent and powerful alien race subtly hypnotizing & manipulating humanity for tens of thousands of years because *checks notes* they needed a spacesuit for something.

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Are Trolls mammals? If so, where are their nipples?
    The baby troll bites through the tip of the breast to access the mammary tissue.

    Regeneration prevents the wound from being an issue.
    Excuses and explanations are different.

    Sometimes when there can be no excuses we must look the hardest for explanations.

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    The assumptions being made here are "total foreknowledge exists" and "decisions are made based on available foreknowledge", I suspect your problem is with the second one.

    If we use watchmen as an example. Dr. Jonathan Osterman was someone who would prevent JFK's assassination if he knew how.

    Dr. Jonathan Osterman become Dr. Manhattan and acquired Total ForeknowledgeTM.

    Dr. Manhattan does not think. I do not mean that he thinks and reaches the foretold conclusion, I mean that he doesn't process information in the way that a human, an animal, or even a simple transistor does.

    When the learns JFK is going to be assassinated, he doesn't decide if that's a good or bad thing, consider what can be done, and decide a course of action. Quantum magic just overwrites his brain to do nothing.
    Don't think I'd call it a "problem"....I'm saying that if you have total foreknowledge (and perfect information, in case that isn't in the "assumed but stated for emphasis" category), you have no ability to meaningfully act on foreknowledge; you're saying that with the ability to meaningfully act on foreknowledge, you don't have total foreknowledge. They're contrapositives, each as logically valid as the other.


    As you say, total foreknowledge means total lack of agency. You can make decisions, but you already know what you will decide, and every aspect of your decision-making process, and every interim decision involved, and when you'll think about knowing each of them....I guess it becomes a matter of philosophy/semantics whether you're actually making a decision when you already know the outcome; but still, if you know you'll go through the motions of deciding, you will go through the motions of deciding. Similarly, you can absolutely lie to people about the future; but you already knew you'd lie when you saw the future, and knowing you'll lie means you will lie.

    How exactly such a self-stable timeline could come to be in the first place isn't worth much to you....You may not have complete hindsight, but you already know if anyone will ever find an answer, and you'll know what that answer they find is. Not that you'd be able to do anything differently with the knowledge, you already know everything you'll ever do. Heck, you already know everything you'll ever know.



    Incomplete foreknowledge is much more usable than total foreknowledge could even allow for, is what I think I'm saying. Probably the best case scenario for total foreknowledge is that "total" is actually a misnomer and there's a boundary you're incapable of perceiving....Say, you're a fictional construct and your "total foreknowledge" is simply whatever your author has dictated/intended for your universe and ascribed to you. Maybe the audience will get more value from your "total foreknowledge" than you will; that's a pretty low bar, after all....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

  9. - Top - End - #639
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2021

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Am I the only one wondering if Serini's last word, focus!, is specifically in bold italics because it's a code word she has with Sunny for a tactical maneuver, and the battle's not over yet?

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagiro View Post
    Am I the only one wondering if Serini's last word, focus!, is specifically in bold italics because it's a code word she has with Sunny for a tactical maneuver, and the battle's not over yet?
    My guess is that the battle is now over. 6 panels of the status quo not changing (i.e. Serini stayed pinned, everything remained dispelled) makes me think the pacing's gonna slow down into a talky scene.

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    My guess is that the battle is now over. 6 panels of the status quo not changing (i.e. Serini stayed pinned, everything remained dispelled) makes me think the pacing's gonna slow down into a talky scene.
    Serini is flanking for Mimi surprise attack, and then sneak attack Haley
    Why Sunny has to keep eyes power-off then?
    My bet that is that neutralize poison on Roy might change the situation, which is far from be solved peacefully, if you consider Serini commitment to subdue and forget.

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagiro View Post
    Am I the only one wondering if Serini's last word, focus!, is specifically in bold italics because it's a code word she has with Sunny for a tactical maneuver, and the battle's not over yet?
    entertaining thought: face and focus are keywords to instruct Mimi and/or Sunny? :)
    Last edited by Rinazina; 2021-09-25 at 10:15 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    massachusetts
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    If focus was a code word, I feel like the comic would have ended with whatever maneuver they would start as a cliffhanger, instead of with a joke from Belkar.

    Or maybe next comic we have a comedic bit where Serini has to repeat the code word until Sunny or Mimi understand.

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Serini is flanking for Mimi surprise attack, and then sneak attack Haley
    I'm pretty sure flanking while pinned is not a thing and Mimi is far from adjacent to Haley anyway.

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'm pretty sure flanking while pinned is not a thing and Mimi is far from adjacent to Haley anyway.
    Remind me, but isn't this dungeon dimensionally locked? This seems just the sort of thing contingency teleport was designed for, but Serini can't use that option if teleport isn't available here.

    I don't think Serini's given up on her plan to neutralize the order, but the odds are getting far too long for comfort. The party is alerted, they are spread out so Sunny can't easily anti-magic them all, and they are quickly getting back on their feet. Were I in her shoes , it would be time to bug out and try again later, possibly after letting the traps and monsters in the dungeon nibble them down a bit.

    But how? Maybe she has a scroll of ghostform or something that will allow her to slip away? As soon as Serini is able to trick Haley into un-pinning her, it will be time to exercise whatever escape option she has handy. I'm just not quite sure what it would be at this point.

    To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled as to why she's being so careful of the order's lives. She's stocked this dungeon full of extremely high level monsters. This IS a lethal dungeon. Surely many adventurers who come here perish at the hands of both monsters and traps. So why is she treating the order with kid gloves, rather than allowing the monster to whittle them down through attrition first?

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  16. - Top - End - #646
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Remind me, but isn't this dungeon dimensionally locked? This seems just the sort of thing contingency teleport was designed for, but Serini can't use that option if teleport isn't available here.

    I don't think Serini's given up on her plan to neutralize the order, but the odds are getting far too long for comfort. The party is alerted, they are spread out so Sunny can't easily anti-magic them all, and they are quickly getting back on their feet. Were I in her shoes , it would be time to bug out and try again later, possibly after letting the traps and monsters in the dungeon nibble them down a bit.

    But how? Maybe she has a scroll of ghostform or something that will allow her to slip away? As soon as Serini is able to trick Haley into un-pinning her, it will be time to exercise whatever escape option she has handy. I'm just not quite sure what it would be at this point.

    To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled as to why she's being so careful of the order's lives. She's stocked this dungeon full of extremely high level monsters. This IS a lethal dungeon. Surely many adventurers who come here perish at the hands of both monsters and traps. So why is she treating the order with kid gloves, rather than allowing the monster to whittle them down through attrition first?

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    She's fine with Haley being shattered and didn't seem to mind about Sunny using their death ray - it's probably for the benefit of Sunny, since without them this ambush wouldn't have gone even this well.

    Also if they die then she might think whoever sent them will try and find them, or figure out why they disappeared.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

    Extended signature here.

  17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Metastachydium's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2020

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Remind me, but isn't this dungeon dimensionally locked?
    Some like to read "it's built of multidimensional stone" as an indication that it is, but that was never confirmed by the comic or its author.

    Maybe she has a scroll of ghostform or something that will allow her to slip away?
    Ghostforming is the one thing we know multidimensional stone is very good against.

    To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled as to why she's being so careful of the order's lives. She's stocked this dungeon full of extremely high level monsters. This IS a lethal dungeon. Surely many adventurers who come here perish at the hands of both monsters and traps. So why is she treating the order with kid gloves, rather than allowing the monster to whittle them down through attrition first?
    1. The Order was so rude as not to wander into the decoy dungeon where most of the monsters likely are and they didn't even have the decency to wander any deeper into the real one.
    2. Serini would have had Sunny start killing people when things started to go south for her. Had Sunny not refused to use lethal force, the Order would have been met with lethal force.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    She's fine with Haley being shattered and didn't seem to mind about Sunny using their death ray - it's probably for the benefit of Sunny, since without them this ambush wouldn't have gone even this well.
    How dare you be faster than me?

    Also if they die then she might think whoever sent them will try and find them, or figure out why they disappeared.
    Sending them back to the people who know where they went and why doesn't really help with that, though.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-09-26 at 03:06 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #648
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    She's fine with Haley being shattered
    She explicitly noted that was fixable.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled as to why she's being so careful of the order's lives. She's stocked this dungeon full of extremely high level monsters. This IS a lethal dungeon. Surely many adventurers who come here perish at the hands of both monsters and traps. So why is she treating the order with kid gloves, rather than allowing the monster to whittle them down through attrition first?

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    Do people even come here? This is the freaking North Pole, the bugbears might have very well been the only people to get there between the Scribblers and Team Evil.

    Also, the dungeon exists to stop people like Team Evil, people who would come here to use the Snarl for their own nefarious ends. She thinks the Paladins and the Stickers are misguided, but she knows they're good people, it's not surprising that she prefer not to kill them.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    She explicitly noted that was fixable.
    Are you sure you read that with the right level of skepticism?

  21. - Top - End - #651
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Are you sure you read that with the right level of skepticism?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    She explicitly noted that was fixable.
    I think most people read that as a flippant remark by Serini that glue would fix her, rather than Serini genuinely believing it would. Several people in the last discussion thread pointed out that it wouldn't fix her under the rules. That it wouldn't fix her seems to also be indicated in comic by Sunny italicized 'mom' in response, and that Serini moves on from the idea in the face of Sunny's resistance.

  23. - Top - End - #653
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    That it wouldn't fix her seems to also be indicated in comic by Sunny italicized 'mom' in response, and that Serini moves on from the idea in the face of Sunny's resistance.
    I'm not particularly moved by how most people see something (for example, I just finished Star Wars Visions, and the two episodes that were easily the worst for me are apparently being touted as fan favorites from what I can see), so I'm just going to address this point. I took it to indicate that Sunny was resistant to it regardless, seeing that as an unnecessary thing to do, not that it would not work.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm not particularly moved by how most people see something (for example, I just finished Star Wars Visions, and the two episodes that were easily the worst for me are apparently being touted as fan favorites from what I can see), so I'm just going to address this point. I took it to indicate that Sunny was resistant to it regardless, seeing that as an unnecessary thing to do, not that it would not work.
    Sure, I just mentioned what most people seemed to think to bring to your attention that there's a prevailing theory that you may not have considered. Far be it for me to cite what most people think as decisive, because I tend to only bother posting when I disagree with the majority view.

    I don't agree that anything in the strip indicates shattering a petrified person is repairable by glue. First, it's not under the rules. Second, there's the practical issue of glueing together something shattered into a million pieces without lots of bits being missing or put in the wrong place. Third the subtext of the comic, with the rebuke from Sunny doesn't support it.

    But if you are determined to still see Serini as unwilling to kill, I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to read it that way - I just thought you might have skimmed past it and entirely missed that it seems that Serini was being flippant by suggesting the use of glue.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2021-09-26 at 05:29 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #655
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Sure, I just mentioned what most people seemed to think to bring to your attention that there's a prevailing theory that you may not have considered. Far be it for me to cite what most people think as decisive, because I tend to only bother posting when I disagree with the majority view.

    I don't agree that anything in the strip indicates shattering a petrified person is repairable by glue. First, it's not under the rules. Second, there's the practical issue of glueing together something shattered into a million pieces without lots of bits being missing or put in the wrong place. Third the subtext of the comic, with the rebuke from Sunny doesn't support it.

    But if you are determined to still see Serini as unwilling to kill, I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to read it that way - I just thought you might have skimmed past it and entirely missed that it seems that Serini was being flippant by suggesting the use of glue.
    If we're taking it as read that it would shatter into a million pieces (and not, say, a reasonable number under the guise that that was a hyperbolic statement), then not taking it as read that the glue comment is an indication of a way to fix such an issue, then I would simply say that I disagree with your interpretation.

    That being said, I'm not determined to see Serini as unwilling to kill. I simply have yet to see her do anything that would be lethal without being fixable before being lethal.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-26 at 06:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If we're taking it as read that it would shatter into a million pieces (and not, say, a reasonable number under the guise that that was a hyperbolic statement), then not taking it as read that the glue comment is an indication of a way to fix such an issue, then I would simply say that I disagree with your interpretation.
    If we take both statements at face value - glue would work, but she would shatter into a million pieces - then she can't be fixed.

    If we take neither statement at face value - glue working is facetious and the million pieces remark is hyperbole - then Serii isn't even seriously suggesting she can be fixed.

    So, if you are plumping for being consistent about taking statements at face value or not, it doesn't support your position.

    That being said, I'm not determined to see Serini as unwilling to kill. I simply have yet to see her do anything that would be lethal without being fixable before being lethal.
    I have no doubt you are not consciously doing that.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2021-09-26 at 07:00 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #657
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    If we take both statements at face value - glue would work, but she would shatter into a million pieces - then she can't be fixed.
    If we take both statements at face value, then putting a million pieces together exactly correct is a million to one chance, meaning it's guaranteed to work in this comic and she can be fixed.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

  28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If we take both statements at face value, then putting a million pieces together exactly correct is a million to one chance, meaning it's guaranteed to work in this comic and she can be fixed.
    I get the reference, and I think I get your underlying point, but the pedant in me feels compelled to point out that putting a million indistinguishable pieces back together correctly is more like trillions to one than a million to one, because there's more than a million ways for a million pieces to combine.

  29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If we take both statements at face value, then putting a million pieces together exactly correct is a million to one chance, meaning it's guaranteed to work in this comic and she can be fixed.
    That's not quite how pieces work. Imagine having 4 pieces and only 1 dimension: a line. You could put them into 24 orders. And that's ignoring how orientation changes things, and doesn't take into account the differences in orientation. Probability is a poor means of deciding how difficult putting something back together is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

  30. - Top - End - #660
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1244 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I get the reference, and I think I get your underlying point, but the pedant in me feels compelled to point out that putting a million indistinguishable pieces back together correctly is more like trillions to one than a million to one, because there's more than a million ways for a million pieces to combine.
    Oh certainly. I was just demonstrating the possibility of being flippant while still making a point.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Peelee's genius status confirmed
    Seconded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •